PDA

View Full Version : WTA calendar confusion

christos_liaskos
11-02-2009, 05:25 AM
I dont follow the ATP anywhere near as much as the ATP, infact, outside of the slams I dont really follow it at all. Which is probably why I dont understand what is going on at the moment - last week we had Doha, which I thought was the equivalent of the ATP world tour finals which is in London this year. But then this week we have Bali? I looked on the WTA website and their calendar shows that both tournaments are 'season ending championships', one with an 8 players draw, which was Doha last week, and then Bali has a 12 player draw this week. Can someone explain to me what's going on!?!?

Whilst following tennis in general there is always the talk of how tennis' calendar is too complicated, especially for the 'occasional' fan to understand. Well on the face of it this WTA calendar is ridiculous, it seems like two separate tours for gods sake! Can someone please explain to me what's going on!?

Another point is that in past years I hadn't noticed how much earlier the WTA finishes comapared to the mens. As far as I know the complaints about the season being too long are both on the WTA and the ATP. When this first occured to me I hadn't realised there was Bali this week and I thought last week's Doha tournament was the last one for the WTA. This made me wonder what the women are complaining about when they finish a month earlier than the men!? Now it seems they are playing in Bali this week it still means the women have 3 more weeks off than the men, what more do they want!?

Topaz
11-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Doha was the top 8.

Bali is for the next 'tier', roughly top 10-12.

christos_liaskos
11-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Doha was the top 8.

Bali is for the next 'tier', roughly top 10-12.

That is possibly the most ridiculous idea i have ever heard! I know the ATP had De Villiers as CEO for a while and everyone hated him but I thought the WTA had someone decent in charge? This idea is worse than many of De Villiers' ideas he wanted to implement on the ATP

Topaz
11-02-2009, 08:36 AM
That is possibly the most ridiculous idea i have ever heard! I know the ATP had De Villiers as CEO for a while and everyone hated him but I thought the WTA had someone decent in charge? This idea is worse than many of De Villiers' ideas he wanted to implement on the ATP

Why is it ridiculous? Just another tournament. Bali had a tier III under the old system (right after the US Open), so I suppose this is what they have under the 'new' system. I should have clarified better...I meant to type top 10-20 up above...as in, the next 'tier' of players after the top 10.

christos_liaskos
11-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Why is it ridiculous? Just another tournament. Bali had a tier III under the old system (right after the US Open), so I suppose this is what they have under the 'new' system. I should have clarified better...I meant to type top 10-20 up above...as in, the next 'tier' of players after the top 10.

OK, i understand what you mean now. But i still think it's ridiculous. Where does it stop? Why not have a season ending championship for positons 20-30, 30-40, all the way down through the top100? Why stop there, why not do it for the top 200 or 300?

First reason I can think of not to do it is that it takes significance away from the top 8 tournament in Doha.

I'm sure everyone else can come up with plenty of reasons why it's a stupid idea of a tournament.

Topaz
11-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I actually think it is a pretty neat idea, and in my mind, it doesn't take away from the top 8 at all...nobody will ever confuse the two groups, I think! :)

Bud
11-02-2009, 04:11 PM
OK, i understand what you mean now. But i still think it's ridiculous. Where does it stop? Why not have a season ending championship for positons 20-30, 30-40, all the way down through the top100? Why stop there, why not do it for the top 200 or 300?

First reason I can think of not to do it is that it takes significance away from the top 8 tournament in Doha.

I'm sure everyone else can come up with plenty of reasons why it's a stupid idea of a tournament.

$$$$$$$$$$

JayChu
11-02-2009, 06:05 PM
This is how it works:

Doha is the SEC for those who finished top 8 in the Race to the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Championships (actually, top 10 if you include the 2 alternates)

The Bali tournament is also classified as a SEC tournament. The one requirement is that the women has to have won at least one International level tournament during the year. The field of the players will be played by the highest 10 ranked players that won the International level tournaments, those that didn't play in Doha (alternates of Doha can play in Bali IF they do not play the matches) and 2 WCs at the director's discretion (hence this is the reason why Sabine Lisicki is playing and she didn't win an International level tournament)

The main reason for why the Bali SEC was created was because they wanted a tournament that would feature the new up-and-coming stars and also the vets that won an International level tourney. Its basically their reward for winning won and for maintaining a ranking that would help them achieve the status of reaching the SEC.

I hope this clears things up for you.

jones101
11-03-2009, 06:58 AM
This is how it works:

Doha is the SEC for those who finished top 8 in the Race to the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Championships (actually, top 10 if you include the 2 alternates)

The Bali tournament is also classified as a SEC tournament. The one requirement is that the women has to have won at least one International level tournament during the year. The field of the players will be played by the highest 10 ranked players that won the International level tournaments, those that didn't play in Doha (alternates of Doha can play in Bali IF they do not play the matches) and 2 WCs at the director's discretion (hence this is the reason why Sabine Lisicki is playing and she didn't win an International level tournament)

The main reason for why the Bali SEC was created was because they wanted a tournament that would feature the new up-and-coming stars and also the vets that won an International level tourney. Its basically their reward for winning won and for maintaining a ranking that would help them achieve the status of reaching the SEC.

Thanks, I think it was a great idea IMO. Maybe the men could do this with the top 10 players who are 250 tourney winners from the top 100? Let them have a chance to shine?

lacoster
11-04-2009, 12:51 AM
This is how it works:

Exactly. It is somewhat confusing because players currently ranked #14-18 (Sharapova, Li, Schiavone, Clijsters) did not gain direct entry into Bali because they failed to win an "International" series tournament, while others ranked #44 and #46 qualified (Rezai - Strasbourg, Rybarikova - Birmingham, respectively) . Even though they are ranked higher, players winning "Premiere" series events like Sharapova (Tokyo) and Schiavone (Moscow) will not gain direct entry, as well as a Grand Slam (Clijsters).