PDA

View Full Version : Reversed sidespin?

onichars
11-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Hi,

The usual result when I do a backhand slice with side-spin would be that the ball would bounce to the left after it lands; however, there was this one time when the ball bounced to the right instead. I (and my opponent) was quite baffled at how this happened.

I had done this slice twice previously, both of which my opponent couldn't get to on time. On my third attempt, he actually got to the ball, and I was prepared to receive it. Imagine my amusement and his surprise when the ball bounced to the right and into his body!

My question is: how did I generate this spin from a backhand slice? Was it due to the spin of the ball before I hit the shot? Was it just a mishit? It didn't feel or sound like a mishit, though, so I thought it could have been something else. I don't quite understand how the movement of the backhand slice could generate this "inside-out" sidespin.

LeeD
11-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Probably a result of the swing plane level of your slice on that one.... bouncing opposite maybe you hit a ball that was higher, making the rackethead higher than the handle.
Most slicers hit their balls with the rackethead below the handle, bouncing the ball to the left.

sureshs
11-02-2009, 09:10 AM
It happens if you put sidespin without a lot of underspin. You are probably cutting the ball on the left side instead of the bottom. Have you seen backhand volleys which are chopped on the side from high up and move to the right after bounce to get the ball away from the opponent? It is like that.

SystemicAnomaly
11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
The bounce to the left or the right is NOT due to (vertical-axis) sidespin. This type of spin causes the ball to curve to the left or the right while it is in flight but does not affect the bounce of the ball (according to tennis physicists such as Rod Cross).

The bounce to the left or the right is caused by spiral spin on the ball. This is the predominant spin for badminton shuttles and American footballs ("the spiral pass"). Often bullets and, sometimes, arrows will have this type of spin to improve their flight stability. (Likewise, the spiral spin on a tennis ball will not cause the ball to curve left or right while in flight). A clockwise spiral spin causes the ball to bounce to the right whereas a CCW (or anti-CW) spiral spin causes the ball to bounce to the left.

When spiral spin is imparted to a ball, (vertical-axis) sidespin is almost always present in addition to either topspin or underspin. A twist serve (that kicks off to the side) is a prime example of a ball that has spiral spin along with topspin and some sidespin.

LeeD
11-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Oops, I thought OP was referring to backhand sliced shots only, not serves.
My slices normally bounce off to the right, me lefty. On higher balls, I slice it so it bounces to the left, me still lefty.
Not talking arc in flight, but bounce direction.

VaBeachTennis
11-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Oops, I thought OP was referring to backhand sliced shots only, not serves.
My slices normally bounce off to the right, me lefty. On higher balls, I slice it so it bounces to the left, me still lefty.
Not talking arc in flight, but bounce direction.

I know exactly what you are talking about LeeD. I am a lefty as well, my experience has been this for the backhand slice:
Ball close to the body, easy to impart slice where it will curve and bounce to the right.

Ball a little further away, easy to impart a "true slice".

Ball further away than above and higher tends to impart the "slice" where it can bounce to the left and or curve to the left.

One crazy shot that I hit on my backhand side, is when I play against a person that hits a lot of top spin, is a shot where I hit relatively flat and the ball travels in a straight line line a rocket, but bounces to the right (I'm a lefty). It usually happens by accident when I misjudge the ball and it jumps towards me too fast and I have to rush my shot. It looks col but it's all luck. ;)