PDA

View Full Version : Favorite natural gut

tennisdad65
11-02-2009, 07:58 AM
What's your favorite natural gut? poll included.

It will be interesting to see how many users like 'Global/Gaucho' relative to the big names like babolat etc..

star 5 15
11-02-2009, 08:14 AM
VS all the way

The_Question
11-02-2009, 08:18 AM
The Babolats should have their own selection...

MethodTennis
11-02-2009, 08:21 AM
babolat vs team stuff

star 5 15
11-02-2009, 08:31 AM
The Babolats should have their own selection...

I agree. Tonic and VS are very different in quality. I also thinks its a joke that people think GG is better than Babolat. Half the people on here couldnt even get it strung because the quality is so poor.

jazar
11-02-2009, 08:39 AM
VS is by far the nicest to both string and play with

JavierLW
11-02-2009, 08:52 AM
What's your favorite natural gut? poll included.

It will be interesting to see how many users like 'Global/Gaucho' relative to the big names like babolat etc..

I use Global Gut. But VS (or Wilson) is my favorite thus I voted for VS.

But when you consider that it's 4x the price of Global in most cases I cant justify paying that much for it. It's not 4x better. (Im not sure it's even 2x better, it just simply is better)

tennisdad65
11-02-2009, 09:01 AM
I use Global Gut. But VS (or Wilson) is my favorite thus I voted for VS.

But when you consider that it's 4x the price of Global in most cases I cant justify paying that much for it. It's not 4x better. (Im not sure it's even 2x better, it just simply is better)

Fair enough.. Maybe the poll should have been: Which nat. gut do you currently use most? :)
Anyways, early results seem to indicate Babolat VS/Tonic in a landslide.

star 5 15
11-02-2009, 09:03 AM
How much is GG these days anyway?

tennisdad65
11-02-2009, 09:05 AM
... I also thinks its a joke that people think GG is better than Babolat. Half the people on here couldnt even get it strung because the quality is so poor.

I tried Babolat and GG and I prefer Babolat for now, but lets not get defensive regarding Global :) . Everyone can have their own preference depending on the price vs. quality..

tennisdad65
11-02-2009, 09:07 AM

$8 - $15 depending on 'where/how/how much' you buy..

JavierLW
11-02-2009, 09:15 AM

I just bought 10 sets for $120 (including shipping).

Ive now seen 9 racquets strung with 0 issues of premature breakage.

But Id say that if you dont do your own stringing or you dont know someone who is "very" good, then it's not worth it.

And if you do your own stringing but YOU are not perfect and you can admit that, then it's also not worth it as well.

According to my stringer it's a little harder to work with then VS or Wilson or pretty much any gut other then Titan. But saying that he still manages to get the job done.

So the reality to me is that YES, if you are a good stringer you can string it and you'll do fine. (Ive now seen 9 racquets with no issues from two different batches)

But if not, you may run into problems which could destroy your price structure. (then you're talking about how you could of just bought pacific or klip or tonic or something and you're looking at the same thing)

You also have to buy 5 or 10 sets of GG at once and that discounts some people. (because if you are going to buy 10 sets YOU BETTER HAVE A GOOD STRINGER)

So Im not running around saying everyone should buy GG, it's not for everyone. It works great for me though and it works great for other people as well.

Otherwise I think it's pretty well known that if money was no object VS (and Wilson) are the best.

Hotrocks
11-02-2009, 10:07 AM
VS gut most likely the best, but @41.95 it's a little expensive in a hybird with poly. Poly goes dead fast & your gut is still fine. So....I started using Gaucho Gut, great string for the price and easier on the pocket book.

uk_skippy
11-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I do like VS team, but also Bow Brand 'cause I normally get it cheaper. For some reason I don't think Wilson is as good as Babolat even though its made by Babolat. Worse string I've strung with was Kirschbaum packaged gut, it just fell away quickly while stringing.

Regards

Paul

AutoXer
11-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I like pacific

Aces09
11-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Babolat VS is the best. No question.

Babolat tonic is also an amazing string, but not as good as VS.

Wilson and Head guts are also good. Don't forget Head gut!

The rest of those guts suck, i've tried all of them and they're just not as good.

ClubHoUno
11-03-2009, 06:40 PM
BABOLAT VS NATTY GUT ALL THE WAY !!!!

No question about it, the best natty gut you can buy in the world is Babolat VS TEAM 17, which I use in the mains in my Babolat PS Limited GT racquets with Babaolat VS TOUCH 16 in the crosses (to get slightly less power and slightly better durability)

Babolat makes the Wilson natty gut, so that's why Wilson natty gut also is ranked as the best of course.

Head natty gut is made by Pacific, and while Pacific makes very good natty gut it's not on par with Babolat VS NATTY GUT and therefore in my view is not quite up there with Babolat VS natty gut.

My personal NATTY GUT TOP 5:

1. BABOLAT VS TEAM 17
2. BABOLAT VS TOUCH 16
3. BABOLAT TONIC+ 16
4. BABOLAT VS TOUCH 15L
5. BABOLAT TONIC+ 15

Rabbit
11-04-2009, 04:03 AM
I like Pacific.

basil J
11-05-2009, 05:12 AM
VS is great, but I think BDE or prince gut is a close second. I am currently using some prince gut (repackaged BDE) and itis very comfy and has massive power and so far excellent tension maintenance.
I have 3 matches on it in a BB11 and not so much as a fray or notch yet.

JavierLW
11-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Babolat makes the Wilson natural gut, so that's why Wilson natty gut also is ranked as the best of course.

I second that nomination.

(although I wonder why anyone buys Wilson if they can get VS, unless they are getting some sort of secret deal or their pro just happens to be a Wilson sponsor and that's all he can sell)

parasailing
11-05-2009, 01:44 PM
VS gut 16 is great but the mains start to fray and then snap. I put string savers on them but that only helps to prevent them from snapping where the mains and crosses touch.

For the gaucho strings, they don't fray as much. Could it be because the gaucho 16 are really more like 15 gauge?

samster
11-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I actually like Global Gut quite a bit. I have only used 17 gauge Global Gut and I like it better than Klip Legend 17 or Babolat VS 17 for following reasons:

1) Cheaper Global at $12 vs. $26 for Klip vs. $42 for Babolat.
2) Global is a little softer than Klip but firmer than Babolat, ideal for my preference.
3) Getting about the same durability as Klip, which is known for its durability.
4) So far I have had a 1/2 set of Global and a 1/2 set of Klip break prematurely on me but nothing too out of ordinary. I have not had problem with Babolat break prematurely; however, I have had Babolat gut slip out of my clamps due to its coating.

As a home stringer, the value of Global Gut makes my selection a no brainer.

steve728
11-05-2009, 02:07 PM
VS Team is the best string I ever played with in my K90. Full bed. That was like a dream. But now I've gotten cheap and can't justify the cost...at least until I've gone through my global and gaucho test strings.