PDA

View Full Version : I go headhunting in when playing doubles to rattle my opponents nerves

HoVa
11-02-2009, 10:13 AM
this tourney im playing in,

We're about a 4.5-5.0 level and they were particularly known for being a wall at the net, but shady groundstrokes and weak 2nd serves.

My team is quite the opposite. Very strong groundstrokes but a little suspect at the net.

It seemed to work as they seemed pressured to hit more penetrating shots or else be faced with a Wilson stamp on their head. This led to easy points from unforced errors.

split-step
11-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Good to know.

LeeD
11-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Seems to me, if they're a wall at the net and you guys are suspect volleyers......
THEY should be headhunting you, while you duck and flub all sorts of volleys into your bodies. They, on the other hand, should just stroke deep up middle to open up the sides and push you off the court.

Noveson
11-02-2009, 03:41 PM

We're about a 4.5-5.0 level and they were particularly known for being a wall at the net, but shady groundstrokes and weak 2nd serves.

My team is quite the opposite. Very strong groundstrokes but a little suspect at the net.

It seemed to work as they seemed pressured to hit more penetrating shots or else be faced with a Wilson stamp on their head. This led to easy points from unforced errors.

Cool? And there would be no wilson stamp. What are you getting at?

Slazenger07
11-03-2009, 06:43 AM
zero point to this thread.......

Mick
11-03-2009, 07:05 AM
be careful, the head hunter could become the head huntee :shock:

SlapChop
11-03-2009, 07:09 AM
I always return a head shot with a head shot. I won't start that kind of play but am never afraid to play that way.

NickH87
11-03-2009, 07:09 AM
If you are purposely aiming for players faces, I would really be careful about who it is you are playing with. Its strategy going to the body and feet, but the face is a dangerous spot and even though its a sport, that doesnt fly when it happens to me.

goran_ace
11-03-2009, 07:26 AM
be careful, the head hunter could become the head huntee :shock:

Exactly. What goes around comes around.

Douggo
11-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I wag my naughty bits when playing doubles to rattle my opponents' nerves.

Works at all levels.

Ken Honecker
11-04-2009, 12:13 AM
You lost me when you said 4.5-5.0 with glaring holes in your games. I was under the impression that by that level players had mastered fundamentals.

makinao
11-04-2009, 12:23 AM
^ Is that that 4.5 - 5 COMBINED ?

Ken Honecker
11-04-2009, 02:11 AM
I don't think it is possible to get a 4.5 combined is it? I thought warm bodies automaticly rated a 2.5.

LuckyR
11-04-2009, 09:20 AM
^ Is that that 4.5 - 5 COMBINED ?

Hahahahahaha, good one!

ttbrowne
11-05-2009, 01:22 PM
I've never seen 5.0's with weak second serves and shady groundstrokes.

Bud
11-05-2009, 01:29 PM

I've never seen a 4.5 or 5.0 with a weak second serve and/or weak groundstrokes. If they truly are that level, they should have no problem with you going directly at them when at net. In fact, they should expect it.

Perhaps, you're overestimating both yours and your opponents NTRP.

What you're describing sounds more like 3.5 level play.

ryangoring
11-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I've never seen a 4.5 or 5.0 with a weak second serve and/or weak groundstrokes. If they truly are that level, they should have no problem with you going directly at them when at net. In fact, they should expect it.

Perhaps, you're overestimating both yours and your opponents NTRP.

What you're describing sounds more like 3.5 level play.

Or combined 2.5 play

11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I've never seen 5.0's with weak second serves and shady groundstrokes.

Aw come on guys. It's all relative. There are weak second serves at 5.0 or even 7.0 relative to others at that level.

SlapShot
11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
I would be seriously surprised if a 4.5 or 5.0 player who was a solid volleyer at that level ever got "rattled" by someone going at them. On the contrary, they should be able to stick the volley, unless the person that they're playing is Gonzo.

nfor304
11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Aiming at the head at 5.0 level would just translate to easy shoulder high volleys for the net player.....

Bungalo Bill
11-05-2009, 07:40 PM

Come on Hova, what are you doing? Going after people? Injuring them? Busting their eye out? You do know that is a possibiity if you go after someones head with a hard shot. And what if he deflects the ball into his eye and becomes blind in that eye? Are you going to feel good about it?

Further, what doubles league has a 4-5 to 5-0 team with weak second serves and poor net play?

autumn_leaf
11-05-2009, 07:50 PM
i would go for hard body shots. not the face though. that's plain dangerous as Bill says above. there was a thread on the board where the user got hit in the eye and became partially blind because it knocked off some nerve endings. it's one thing to want to win, but it's a sport where people want to have fun. if you cause blindness you basically just ended another player's tennis game for good.

pabletion
11-05-2009, 08:08 PM
4.5-5.0???

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5986/smellslike.png (http://img200.imageshack.us/i/smellslike.png/)

LuckyR
11-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Whenever folks with little to no matchplay experience blow about how this or that intimidation tactic is oh so successful, I ask: "would such a tactic intimidate you?" The answer is usually, "nah, I am difficult to intimidate cuz of my excellant competitive nature". Well, duh, why do they think they are the only ones with a competitive nature?

LafayetteHitter
11-06-2009, 10:13 AM

If this lame tactic is working then I think you are not playing true 4.5-5.0 players. That might work with your little nephew but not a benchmark 4.5. Lame try

LeeD
11-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Yes, unless you hit from well inside the baseline, can hit the shot well over normal first service speeds, anything up around chest to a foot overhead is a putaway winner, even for me at 4.0 level (but used to be much better). Higher with tons of topspin can cause troubles, and of course, lower than knee high usually causes some weaker return (not clean putaway, but lowback and between the two opponents).

Burt Turkoglu
11-06-2009, 11:24 AM
...not actually sure about this thread but I am one of those steady net ppl with quick hands and I know a little about playing against those who have huge, hard groundies. When you have a ball that sits up a little a few feet inside the baseline, an excellent tactic is to go right into my body....if that's what you mean by headhunting.....that's cool....if on the other hand it means that you have a highball close to net and you have an easy putaway as the close-in net player turns sideways or his back to you (in effect conceeding the point) and you TRY to hit him......IT'S GO TIME.....now if I dig in and try to save the point, I'm fair game.....that's how I see it

Slazenger07
11-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Aiming at the head at 5.0 level would just translate to easy shoulder high volleys for the net player.....

Indeed....

onehandbh
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
For some reason, sometimes when I'm hitting groundstrokes
to someone at the net to give them volley practive, I end
up hitting it right at them and sometimes toward their
head. I'm not hitting it very hard during these times, but still,
I'm sure it's pretty annoying.

Regarding headhunting. I think it's usually dumb and unnecessary.
I mean would you want someone to smack you with an
overhead when you're at the net? Your opponents could get
the opportunity to do that in the course of a match when you
hit a weak reply. If someone is headhunting me over and over,
eventually I'd probably nail him in the shin area with
with an overhead.