PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to Ft Lauderdale, FL

od_sf
11-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Hello,

I'm relocating from San Francisco to Ft Lauderdale for 9 months for work. (I'll be living in Plantation.)

Can anyone recommend good tennis clubs in the area to look at? I don't know anyone in the area so I hope to find a club that will match me up with plenty of people to play with. I'm looking for something not too expensive, no more than $100 per month club membership, hopefully less.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I'm a 3.5 player, if there are any 3.0 to 4.0 players in the area looking for a hit, please let me know. I will arrive on Wednesday, and there is a well maintained court in my complex which we can use for free.

Thanks!

mikeler
11-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Try the TW South Florida Chapter:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=129762&page=204

FloridaAG
11-02-2009, 01:54 PM
In Plantation - the best option is the Veltri tennis center in Central Park - big facility - players at all levels - From there, you are also pretty close to Sunrise Tennis Club (also called Welleby by some locals) -

My guess is you will stick with Veltri as it is right there

GS
11-05-2009, 07:09 AM
There's also Jimmy Evert's Tennis Center in Ft. Lauderdale. 18 lighted clay courts. Around $5 an hour or $10 all day.

FloridaAG
11-05-2009, 07:26 AM
There's also Jimmy Evert's Tennis Center in Ft. Lauderdale. 18 lighted clay courts. Around $5 an hour or $10 all day.

That is about 30 minutes away from Plantation though, Central Park and Sunrise (depending on where exactly he lives and works) are likely to be within 5 minutes.

GS
11-05-2009, 09:03 AM
That is about 30 minutes away from Plantation though, Central Park and Sunrise (depending on where exactly he lives and works) are likely to be within 5 minutes.

Thanks for the update.
Hey, are there ANY cheap motels or hotels in Ft. Lauderdale in the winter? I tried looking years ago and everything was $150 and up. I had to vacation in Sarasota instead. Thanks in advance.

od_sf
11-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks a lot for the info, I will go check out both Veltri and Sunrise Tennis Club today.

Any feedback about Lauderdale tennis club? It's only 20 minutes away and looks really nice.

Thanks again

FloridaAG
11-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks a lot for the info, I will go check out both Veltri and Sunrise Tennis Club today.

Any feedback about Lauderdale tennis club? It's only 20 minutes away and looks really nice.

Thanks again

Home of Drakulie - Mostly used by people who live there

Matt H.
12-09-2009, 06:25 AM
If you're a 3.5 player, I think the 3.5 team at Veltri is in need of players after 11 of them got bumped.

Veltri is by far the cheapest. It's $7 bucks a night to play, or for non-plantation residents its $300 for a year membership and you're done.

I can get you in touch with the 3.5 captain if you'd like, otherwise they play on mondays, practice with the 4.0's on tuesdays and thursdays, and have their match on wednesdays.

drakulie
12-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Thanks again

ah yes!! As FloridaAG pointed out, my back yard (literally).

Although mostly used by people who live here, there are many, many outside members. That said, it is more expensive and futher than the Veltri Tennis Center, as FloridaAG pointed out.

Send me an email when you are down, and perhaps we could meet up one of the days. I'll give you a tour of the Lauderdale Tennis Club.

drakulie@aol.com

PS: If you need stringing while you are down here, let me know.

od_sf
12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
If you're a 3.5 player, I think the 3.5 team at Veltri is in need of players after 11 of them got bumped.

Veltri is by far the cheapest. It's $7 bucks a night to play, or for non-plantation residents its $300 for a year membership and you're done.

I can get you in touch with the 3.5 captain if you'd like, otherwise they play on mondays, practice with the 4.0's on tuesdays and thursdays, and have their match on wednesdays.

Hi Matt, I have sent you a PM - would love to get in touch with the 3.5 team capt. @ Veltri. Please email me when you have a second. Many thanks!