PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Haas has H1N1 flu

Fee
11-02-2009, 12:30 PM
According to German Eurosport:

http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/02112009/73/atp-basel-tennisprofi-haas-schweinegrippe.html

Google translation:

Professional tennis player Tommy Haas was ill with swine flu. "I have a test done because I thought that I had swine flu. The test was positive," said the 31-year-old " Due to illness Haas had canceled his planned participation in the tournament in Basel this week.

"Of course it was a shock for me," said Haas, for whom the season has ended early with them. "I am now, however, again reassured because I know that the swine flu is indeed a very hard form of flu, but if you're in good physical condition as I can fight this flu relatively quickly." At the last Masters tournament of the season next Monday in Paris-Bercy, but Haas will be missing.

~~~~~~~

This seems like the 10th season in a row that Tommy has suffered some type of stupid bad luck occurrence. Just horrible.

Get well soon Tommy. See you next year.

zambo
11-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Swine flu is not as bad as the media make it. More like a common cold. Anyway, he should be fine for the start of 2010.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Tommy has had real bad luck in his career, there has been nice glimpses of him but something always happens.
Btw, so does Andre Sa, the doubles player from Brazil.

kOaMaster
11-02-2009, 12:41 PM
and what? so far it's just a flu like every other flu you might catch anytime in the year.

BreakPoint
11-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Shoulder injury, several shoulder surgeries, badly sprained ankle, abdominal injuries, sinus infections, food poisoning, and now swine flu? What's next? Mono or AIDS? This has got to be the unluckiest guy ever to play pro tennis. It's like he's cursed or something. I think he had the potential to be a Top 5 player for the past decade if it not for all of these health problems. The guy is like a walking infirmary. :(

I love the guy and he's got a beautiful game and I hope he gets well soon.

P_Agony
11-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I had H1N1 last week, it wasn't so bad. Not pleasent while it lasted but that's about it. It's like a normal flu. Tommy will be fine.

flyinghippos101
11-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Swine flu is not as bad as the media make it. More like a common cold. Anyway, he should be fine for the start of 2010.

+1, media is blowing this out of proportion while the regular flu on average kills 40,000 a year in the US alone!

zambo
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I had H1N1 last week, it wasn't so bad. Not pleasent while it lasted but that's about it. It's like a normal flu. Tommy will be fine.

Hope i don't come in contact with you anytime soon...

TheMusicLover
11-02-2009, 01:03 PM
+1, media is blowing this out of proportion while the regular flu on average kills 40,000 a year in the US alone!

That's true, it isn't the Big Deal the media make out of it. Still, for a pro tennis player to bump into it is quite a bout of Bad Luck - and once again, the victim is Tommy Haas!
Hope he gets well soon.

sureshs
This is what happens with a one handed backhand: mono, back pain, H1N1.

el sergento

Tell that to the families of the perfectly healthy 12-35 y/o's that have died because of it. The common flu kills the very young, the very old and the sick. H1N1 has struck down people at their physical prime without any underlying illnesses.

The media is over blowing it, in fact, more people die of obesity related complications than the flu each year. Nevertheless, it's a disease that deserves our attention and we all have to do our part to prevent the spread.

It might be overblown, but we shouldn't trivialize the epidemic either.

el sergento
11-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Shoulder injury, several shoulder surgeries, badly sprained ankle, abdominal injuries, sinus infections, food poisoning, and now swine flu? What's next? Mono or AIDS? This has got to be the unluckiest guy ever to play pro tennis. It's like he's cursed or something. I think he had the potential to be a Top 5 player for the past decade if it not for all of these health problems. The guy is like a walking infirmary. :(

One word...............KARMA! Apparently this guy is a gigantic @##hole. Even his countrymen don't support him.

aphex
11-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Tell that to the families of the perfectly healthy 12-35 y/o's that have died because of it. The common flu kills the very young, the very old and the sick. H1N1 has struck down people at their physical prime without any underlying illnesses.

The media is over blowing it, in fact, more people die of obesity related complications than the flu each year. Nevertheless, it's a disease that deserves our attention and we all have to do our part to prevent the spread.

It might be overblown, but we shouldn't trivialize the epidemic either.

are you a tamiflu salesman?

it's like normal flu...

el sergento
11-02-2009, 01:11 PM

it's like normal flu...

No it's not. It's a new strain of the influenza virus that the population hasn't developed antibodies for. In 5 years it will be like a normal flu, for the time being it's a highly contagious disease with the potential to take down a healthy adult.

Why must everything be so black or white?? It's neither ebola or a common cold. It is what it is.

P_Agony
11-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Hope i don't come in contact with you anytime soon...

What a sissy, it's just a flu!

Fee
11-02-2009, 01:33 PM

36,000 actually.

Yes it is getting overblown by the media who are reporting the sensational details instead of sticking to facts. The number one reason that H1N1 scares people is the fatality rate in people under 30. The regular seasonal flu normally attacks the elderly and the chronically ill, but H1N1 is more fatal to young, mostly healthy people right now.

The other reason this is somewhat worrisome is that Tommy may have exposed other players before he realized he was sick.

Spyre
11-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Well I hope he gets better....

Serendipitous
11-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Get well Tommy ?????? ??????

IvanAndreevich
11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
On a good note, he finished the season injury-free. Who knows what he might have injured had he played.

Rhino
11-02-2009, 02:32 PM
This is no big deal. I got swine flu. For about 4 days I was in bed sick, but I took Tamiflu and was completely back to normal within a week, from the very first symptom until nothing.

tennis_hand
11-02-2009, 08:54 PM
it doesn't make you a pig.

norbac
11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Hope he recovers nicely.

doom
11-02-2009, 09:13 PM
So whats going on with Jan Michael Gambill?

TheFifthSet
11-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Get well, Tommy . . .

stapler
11-03-2009, 06:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjM9C1_2FHA

Xenakis
11-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Tommy haas flu?

OHBH
11-03-2009, 06:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjM9C1_2FHA

problem solved.

zambo
11-03-2009, 07:31 AM
What a sissy, it's just a flu!

LOL...I was just kidding... :D

Pink_Shirt
11-03-2009, 10:24 AM
I have the ole' Swine right now, it does indeed suck but it doesn't require mass panic when you have it.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Tommy is tough and will be back to win some more tourneys.

Badger
11-03-2009, 10:35 AM

Yeah it's no big deal unless you have a pre-existing condition (like diabetes), your at a vulnerable age (babies and elderly people) or if your extremely overweight.

Fee
11-03-2009, 04:09 PM
There are reports today that Tommy is going to try to make it to Bercy after all. He has not withdrawn yet.

CCNM
11-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh dear!!!! I hope he gets and stays home for a few weeks. Also-Tommy,don't let anybody use/touch your towels. :(

pound cat
11-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Worlwide H1N1 deaths 6,171

Worldwide populaton...pushing 8 BILLION!!!!

Talk about a low risk illness,,,,,,,,,,,,,

???????????

jaggy
11-03-2009, 05:14 PM
He really has had some bad luck.

Gugafan
11-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Well he has played all the GS this year, so perhaps he cant argue considering the bad luck he had in the past...At the US Open he was outplaying Verdasco, ended up losing a tight match. I'm hoping he can bring his rich vain of form into Australia, where he has had some of his best results in slams. Go Tommy!.

Dave M
11-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Worlwide H1N1 deaths 6,171

Worldwide populaton...pushing 8 BILLION!!!!

Talk about a low risk illness,,,,,,,,,,,,,

???????????

Yes it is but as said earlier on here it is hitting a different age group of people.THose in the woking age really who havent been exposed to anything like this bfore.IT's of the Type A family adn i think the last "swine" flu was in the 1970s.
Gotta be careful though it'll still send you to hospital with IV's and all sorts.:(

Pwned
11-04-2009, 02:26 AM
No it's not. It's a new strain of the influenza virus that the population hasn't developed antibodies for. In 5 years it will be like a normal flu, for the time being it's a highly contagious disease with the potential to take down a healthy adult.

Why must everything be so black or white?? It's neither ebola or a common cold. It is what it is.

That is what happens with the flu every year, moron.

peli_kan
11-04-2009, 02:31 AM

it's like normal flu...

Tell that to my schoolmate who died from it.

el sergento is right, and he's precise with describing what H1N1 is and isn't.

Pwned
11-04-2009, 04:13 AM

People die from the flu every year.

Fedace
11-04-2009, 04:29 AM
According to German Eurosport:

http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/02112009/73/atp-basel-tennisprofi-haas-schweinegrippe.html

Google translation:

Professional tennis player Tommy Haas was ill with swine flu. "I have a test done because I thought that I had swine flu. The test was positive," said the 31-year-old " Due to illness Haas had canceled his planned participation in the tournament in Basel this week.

"Of course it was a shock for me," said Haas, for whom the season has ended early with them. "I am now, however, again reassured because I know that the swine flu is indeed a very hard form of flu, but if you're in good physical condition as I can fight this flu relatively quickly." At the last Masters tournament of the season next Monday in Paris-Bercy, but Haas will be missing.

~~~~~~~

This seems like the 10th season in a row that Tommy has suffered some type of stupid bad luck occurrence. Just horrible.

Get well soon Tommy. See you next year.

LOL,,, why is that a shock to him ? H1N1 is everywhere..

el sergento
11-04-2009, 05:33 AM
That is what happens with the flu every year, moron.

Wrong, the seasonal flu doesn't mutate as drastically year to year and therefore, although not completely imune, most people will have already encountered a similar virus in there lifetime therefore minimizing the impact.

H1N1 is so substantially different that the vast majority of the population has no imunization for it.

If it were the same as seasonal flu, as you inists it is, ask youself this: how come the seasonal flu and H1N1 will require different vaccines??

................ you moron.

BTW, I can't beleive your name is actually Pwned, did you only just discover the internet?? Are you going to call me a noob now?

Badger
11-04-2009, 12:01 PM

He probably had an underlying condition. The normal flu may have had devastating affects on him too. Still, not nice too hear about though.

Yup.^^ He's right..

pound cat
11-04-2009, 01:44 PM

5000 people in Canada died from the seasonal flu in 2008.

Noveson
11-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I had it. Wasn't so awful. It goes away in a week or so.

hyperwarrior
11-04-2009, 03:39 PM

Breakpoint, at least you do agree with me that he's a good-looking man and he can get any women, right?

ubermeyer
11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
pig flu sucks

Fedace
11-04-2009, 07:59 PM
If this Virus Mutates and turns into more of a deadly strain, it could kill up to 20-30 million people around the world. i have heard this...

MuseFan
11-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Dec 12, 2012 can't come soon enough. The Murians will save us...

Fedace
11-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Dec 12, 2012 can't come soon enough. The Murians will save us...

what is Murain? are these Mouse men ??:confused:

Leelord337
11-04-2009, 08:12 PM
i wonder if his his gf, sarah foster, has it too...or other players in the locker room :shock:

lawrence
11-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Aussie flu going around this year was stronger than swine apparently.

pound cat
11-05-2009, 03:18 AM
If this Virus Mutates and turns into more of a deadly strain, it could kill up to 20-30 million people around the world. i have heard this...

If a big meteor hits Earth half the population or more could disappear. I heard this.

If if if

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Breakpoint, at least you do agree with me that he's a good-looking man and he can get any women, right?

Can your refrain from talking about a dudes looks?

mandy01
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Why does all this crap happen to Tommy? :sad:
Hope he gets well soon...

Chadwixx
11-06-2009, 11:59 AM
5000 people in Canada died from the seasonal flu in 2008.

Socialized medicine for the win :)

Pwned
11-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Wrong, the seasonal flu doesn't mutate as drastically year to year and therefore, although not completely imune, most people will have already encountered a similar virus in there lifetime therefore minimizing the impact.

H1N1 is so substantially different that the vast majority of the population has no imunization for it.

If it were the same as seasonal flu, as you inists it is, ask youself this: how come the seasonal flu and H1N1 will require different vaccines??

BTW, I can't beleive your name is actually Pwned, did you only just discover the internet?? Are you going to call me a noob now?

H1N1 is a different strain of flu. Because it has a nick name and the media hypes it doesn't make it as drastically dangerous as you say. The flu can be deadly, it doesn't matter the strain. Stop watching CNN. Take the tinfoil hat off. You're going to be ok.

Seasonal flu kills around 36,000 to 40,000 Americans yearly.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE58E6NZ20090916

NamRanger
11-07-2009, 08:25 AM

H1N1 isn't going to kill you though; it's strength is no more than the typical seasonal flu. It's just easier to catch.

Pink_Shirt
11-07-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm still recovering from it but the worst is the dry coughs especially when you're whole chest aches, and waking up in the morning with the worst sore throat. Ugh, and the temps that you got are terrible too, but it's not like "zomg lemme get to the nearest hospital" type of thing.

Max G.
11-07-2009, 09:30 AM
H1N1 isn't going to kill you though; it's strength is no more than the typical seasonal flu. It's just easier to catch.

From what I read, it's not any stronger, but it is different. While seasonal flu is mostly dangerous to the very young or the elderly, the new flu strains like swine flu are most likely to kill young adults, who would usually be the least susceptible.

Gorecki
11-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Socialized medicine for the win :)

Dear Chandrawinx :

im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but in case of positive answer you take a look at the miraculously hollier private medice of you dear america and how many people die from seasonal flu every year!...

tomas9848
11-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I hope he feels better