PDA

View Full Version : How's my 1HBH?

gameboy
11-02-2009, 02:07 PM
My pro suggested that I switch from 2HBH to 1HBH about a month ago.

I am still trying to get used to it, but it still feels very awkward. See anything that I should correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O6eMWRUosQ

boojay
11-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Not bad for someone who's just learning the one-hander. Well, the first problem I noticed is that a lot of your backhands look like forehands (j/k :twisted:). The one thing I noticed is you're not using your non-hitting hand to counterbalance as optimally as you could be, but I'm sure that'll come as you become more comfortable with the shot.

How are you liking it compared to the two-hander?

Blake0
11-02-2009, 03:14 PM
As above poster mentioned, you should use your other arm to counter balance by it swinging back and you are sort of in a flying/ bird pose. This helps you keep your balance, hit through the shot, and also helps maintain the perpendicular to the net. You open up your body to early, try to keep your shoulders perpendicular to the net until you finish the followthrough.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=295775
Go to that thread and read through, i explained most of the things that are important in 1hbh's.

SystemicAnomaly
11-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Did your pro give you a good reason for making the change? You might try mastering the 1-handed slice first to complement your topspin 2-hander. If that work well for you, that may be all you need. Or you may decide to go ahead & master the topspin 1-hander as well.

(YouTube blocked here. I'll take a look at your video later when I get home).

gameboy
11-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Good advice on using the other arm for counter balance. I just don't know what to do with it. I think that is biggest difference between 1hbh and 2hbh, since I don't even have to think about that with 2hbh.
I think this will also let me keep my body closed more as well.

My pro wanted me to switch to 1hbh because he thought my upper body shape (wide shoulder, shorter arms) was inhibiting a free flowing 2hbh and 1hbh would let my body free up more.

I cannot get the kind of power I used get with 2hbh with 1hbh and I have a lot of problems with high balls to my backhand side. But I am going to stick with the experiment and see how it goes.

I do have a 1 hand slice that I used before to mix up things and to reach wide balls on the back hand side. That experience does help me a bit with this new approach. But my slice is really more defensive shot and I cannot really attack with it.

boojay
11-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Good advice on using the other arm for counter balance. I just don't know what to do with it. I think that is biggest difference between 1hbh and 2hbh, since I don't even have to think about that with 2hbh.
I think this will also let me keep my body closed more as well.

My pro wanted me to switch to 1hbh because he thought my upper body shape (wide shoulder, shorter arms) was inhibiting a free flowing 2hbh and 1hbh would let my body free up more.

I cannot get the kind of power I used get with 2hbh with 1hbh and I have a lot of problems with high balls to my backhand side. But I am going to stick with the experiment and see how it goes.

I do have a 1 hand slice that I used before to mix up things and to reach wide balls on the back hand side. That experience does help me a bit with this new approach. But my slice is really more defensive shot and I cannot really attack with it.

I open up too early on my backhand too. I notice this is not the case when the ball is further out of my zone and I have to stay closed just a tad longer to reach it, so maybe a good drill is to have someone feed you balls to your backhand that you need to run to.

The one handed backhand requires more coordination and timing, but eventually the power will come once you get the correct movements. For high balls, I either take it on the rise, slice it back, or modify my swing path so that my contact point is much higher than usual (probably not a good idea, but sometimes you have to improvise).

federer_FREAK
11-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Looks ok. I notice when you are pulling the racket up before the stroke, instead of bringing it straight up to get ready for the stroke, you kind of do the 'C' motion. It might hurt when you play with people that hit with a lot of pace because you need to get ready for the shot quicker.

Slazenger07
11-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Make sure you consistently get a good knee bend and a good shoulder turn, stayed turned through the shot, opening up only when you have fully extended towards your target. Pretty good looking stroke though, just make sure you stay with a closed stance longer

Slazenger07
11-02-2009, 07:06 PM
As for generating power, thats all in your legs, get down low, load your body weight onto your right leg, keep the arm straight, but not stiff, use a relaxed swing, and unload on that thing.

richjohn
11-02-2009, 08:35 PM
That is why his forehand looks....different. Overall your strokes are solid on both sides. I just feel your body is tight.

Looks ok. I notice when you are pulling the racket up before the stroke, instead of bringing it straight up to get ready for the stroke, you kind of do the 'C' motion. It might hurt when you play with people that hit with a lot of pace because you need to get ready for the shot quicker.

richjohn
11-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Correct me if I am wrong.

1. You probably need bend your knee slightly more when hitting the backhand

2. You open the chest too quickly. You probably need to keep the chest facing the side fence for a while....especially you are practicing the shot again a ball machine.

3. You keep bouncing.....but you did not split step

4. Your forehand take back is like book opening, not a loop type. It is OK if it works best for you but you probably lose some power....and looks....weird

gameboy
11-02-2009, 10:30 PM
3. You keep bouncing.....but you did not split step

4. Your forehand take back is like book opening, not a loop type. It is OK if it works best for you but you probably lose some power....and looks....weird

I am bouncing because I was just starting to warm up and just trying to get my legs warm. Which is why I am just walking to my shots.

I do loop it sometimes and I go back and forth depending on my mood (I always loop it when I hit an approach shot). But I have found that bringing the racquet back straight just gives me much more consistency. It is much easier to hit back fast shots and I get much more spin with it. I get slightly more power with a full loop, but that is because I hit it flatter with the loop. My forehand is in a pretty good place, I am trying not to mess with it too much anymore.

It probably also has to do with tightness in my swing. I do need to watch that.

I definitely need to stay more sideways. I am going to try real hard to pull out my right hand so that I stay closed and focus on the contact point.

Thanks for the comments!

FlameYo
11-03-2009, 07:29 AM
How is your backhand slice?

Your need a BH good slice when 1H BH isn't doing so well against high balls.

tennisdad65
11-04-2009, 08:25 AM

why did he suggest that? what do you feel natural with?

I have experimented with both 1hbh and 2hbh long time back. Then stuck with 1hbh. Eventually, it should come down to what you feel is more natural for you. Either way, 1hbh or 2hbh, you need a good 1h slice, so improve that all the time.

Bungalo Bill
11-04-2009, 08:48 AM

I am still trying to get used to it, but it still feels very awkward. See anything that I should correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O6eMWRUosQ

You have a slight hitch in your takeback. Your hand path does resemble the smile pattern so that is good. However, your hand turns the racquet downward and then upward on the takeback using the smile patthern.

Simply take the racquet back and up and then down and forward. That is all it is. The head of the racquet should not be going through gyrations while it is going back.

Keep daylight between the ground and your heels.

gameboy
11-04-2009, 02:16 PM
You have a slight hitch in your takeback. Your hand path does resemble the smile pattern so that is good. However, your hand turns the racquet downward and then upward on the takeback using the smile patthern.

I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that. :)

I do find that I get better topspin with this "hitch". Is it so bad?

Djokovicfan4life
11-04-2009, 02:19 PM
I really don't see how that could help you get more topspin.

Bungalo Bill
11-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Nothing is bad until it is truly tested. Then you will have to make up your own mind.

As for the topspin comment, I highly doubt that is actually adding something to the ball that would be material enough for you to stick with it. In other words, if you can be more efficient with your swing path and racquet handling and utilize the legs more or simply increase your swing speed through practice, that to me would gain more dividends for topspin than keeping your hitch.

But a hitch is a hitch and some people love or dont want to get rid of their hitches! :)

But I did notice it!! Up to you to keep it! ;)

richjohn
11-04-2009, 03:37 PM
You are here to get some advice, aren't you?

But it is your shot anyway

richjohn
11-13-2009, 08:10 AM
I just read this article regarding to John McEnroe's forehand vs. Modern forehand on fuzzy yellow balls. Nothing is wrong with your forehand, it is McEnroe's style.

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/

Bungalo Bill
11-13-2009, 08:46 AM
I just read this article regarding to John McEnroe's forehand vs. Modern forehand on fuzzy yellow balls. Nothing is wrong with your forehand, it is McEnroe's style.

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/

Well this is a funny post. Forehand? I thought we were talking about the onehanded backhand? Further, just because a pro does something, especially something unique to them, does not mean it is a teachable or advisable thing to do.

Ripper014
11-13-2009, 09:02 AM
You definitely have a hitch... but your backhand looks good as you start the racket forward. I was trying to figure out what it was about your backhand that I found odd. The smiley thing that BB mentions, well you do it in both directions... getting the racket back as well as in your swing. I would recommend you simplifying things by turning your shoulders to set your racket in place and then carry through with your normal motion. Making it simple should make it easier for you when you are facing shots that are deeper and quicker than what we are seeing.

Also since there are so few backhand to evaluate... you are very upright when hitting the tennis ball... I assume you bend at the knee on low shots...

Your extension through the shot is very good............... and you seem to keep the racket close to your body which is important for a one hander.

gameboy
11-13-2009, 10:13 AM
I knew I should have edited out my forehand :)...

Ripper, here is a problem I am having without that hitch. If I keep the racquet up high I am consistently late on my backhand, and I end up going high to low. Don't know why but it might be that my head's timing device is tied to that hitch because it is similar to what I do on forehand.

Not sure what to do. But I hit some 2HBH's yesterday and MAN, did that feel good.

Ripper014
11-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Ripper, here is a problem I am having without that hitch. If I keep the racquet up high I am consistently late on my backhand, and I end up going high to low. Don't know why but it might be that my head's timing device is tied to that hitch because it is similar to what I do on forehand.

Not sure what to do. But I hit some 2HBH's yesterday and MAN, did that feel good.

Actually I was going to mention that about hitches... most players that have them use it as a key to time their shots. Same thing happens in a golf swing. The problem is that it takes time... and time is something you do not have in abundance with tennis as you start to play better players.

I have always said it is not so much about hitting the ball hard, it is more about managing time... when you hit hard you are taking time away from your opponent, but you can do it by shortening up the court as well (hitting balls from on top or inside the baseline).

If you prefer hitting a 2hbh do it... there is nothing wrong with it... and I believe the majority of the best in the world still do it.

As for my tip... if you just turn your shoulders... your racket will still be in the same position, at that point all you have to do is come forward with your swing. Check it out in a mirror... I think you will see what I mean.

11-13-2009, 10:50 AM

I know most won't agree, but hit them both if you like. I hate to see you give up the 2 hander, as it is so good for driving TS return of big first serves.

LeeD
11-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Nobody mentioned OP moves his head (dips it) just at moment of swing. To me not good, but if the shot is solid and has direction and replicability, keep it up.
I say it disturbs the solidity of the backhand.
More mechanical, both sides, than I like.

Bungalo Bill
11-13-2009, 01:08 PM

If you use the smile pattern properly, being late will not be coming from your backswing. That is why I recommend using the smile pattern because it helps eliminate things that could cause your backhand to underperform.

Remember, the backhand is performed from your weak side and it is usually the side that has been underdeveloped for years because you are dominant on the other side of the body.

When you step toward the ball, that front step is mainly your timing step. So, now that you have your backswing under control, now you need to judge the ball properly and step at the time you need to so that you can bring your racquet up and through contact on time.

Also, if you are late, check out how you are recovering. If you tend to stare at your own shot, that could be part of the problem. You might have to go back to basics and retrain your mind to stay focused through a cadence like HIT-BOUNCE-HIT. Your timing step forward and forward swing need to work together so you can hit on time.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I dont see any reason in switching as your 2 hander is probably more effective no?

Bagumbawalla
11-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Despite the various criticisms, overall, your backhand looks OK-and I think as you continue to practice and loosen up, it could become a very nice stroke.

Since you seem to have a coach who has done well with you, so far, I would continue to work with him/her.

Later on, when you feel more comfortable with the stroke, send more video where you are forced to move/hustle for the ball- so we can see how the stroke holds up under pressure.

Rambler124
11-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Could someone explain the "smile pattern" on the 1bh? Or point me towards the correct thread?

Blake0
11-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Heres a great video on 1hbh.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xstf#p/u/5/vq3Pi1KIkT8

Cup8489
11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
well i can't contribute any more than the other posts before me, but nice racket :)

is that the NXG MP or OS? i used the Mid for two years myself, and then mistakenly discovered what 'feel' was :)

Geezer Guy
11-15-2009, 10:00 AM
... Not sure what to do. But I hit some 2HBH's yesterday and MAN, did that feel good.

I'm not the technical guru that several of the guys here are. I do hit with a 1hbh, and yours looks nice. You do a lot of the things the my instructors have told me to do in the past.

With you being new to that shot, you're hitting those perfectly fed feeds very well.

Until I read the post above, I'd have encouraged you to keep working on that shot. You and your coach seem to be doing a good job.

That being said, I do think that some people just naturally prefer a 1hbh, and others naturally prefer a 2hbh. One just feels "right", and the other a bit "awkward".

Maybe you're at (or near) the point where you've mastered both and can now decide which is best for you.

cork_screw
11-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I think you've been watching way too much 'street fighter' (ryu) with that bouncing thing.

LeeD
11-15-2009, 04:55 PM
I think John and Jimmy had more elbow bend, more body movement, and more legs into their forehand drives. OP seems to arm the ball off his shoulders. Also, the 2 above former #1's turned fully sideways on every forehand, even thos Jimmy chose sidespin quite often earlier in his rising career.. Both could hit a sidespin DTL off both sides.

Bungalo Bill
11-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Could someone explain the "smile pattern" on the 1bh? Or point me towards the correct thread?

The smile pattern is how the hitting hand moves or makes a pattern in the backswing and forward swing. It is a concave pattern that traces a shallow smile when the hand moves back and forth. Some players loop the hand which creats a long swing path for the hand and in essense the racquet head to travel.

Although this shot isn't the best example. You can see the smile pattern made vividly. Watch the hitting hand (bottom-hand) at the point where he brings the racquet back. The hand traces a smile pattern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CKZXKbTHRw

Rambler124
11-15-2009, 05:35 PM
The smile pattern is how the hitting hand moves or makes a pattern in the backswing and forward swing. It is a concave pattern that traces a shallow smile when the hand moves back and forth. Some players loop the hand which creats a long swing path for the hand and in essense the racquet head to travel.

Although this shot isn't the best example. You can see the smile pattern made vividly. Watch the hitting hand (bottom-hand) at the point where he brings the racquet back. The hand traces a smile pattern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CKZXKbTHRw

Thanks so much for the response. Much more clear to me now :)