PDA

View Full Version : Good string for PS Ltd GT?

BkK_b0y14
11-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey guys,

I was going to pick up a couple PS Ltd GT's after demoing them since one of my POG's cracked and TW no longer has the POG mid in my grip size :( I was wondering what strings would go well with them?..The demo had Babolat addiction, I think? They weren't that great but the racket itself was great. I usually use Cyberflash 16g and I need to find a BABOLAT string kind of similar. This is because I will be getting the rackets from a Babolat manufacturer so I will get them strung with Babolat strings. I've tried the PHT, and PH and used to like those before I settled onto the Cyberflash but I was wondering how the Duralast or the Revenge play? I need a poly because I break multis and synthetics way too fast.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks,

BkK_b0y14

Spyre
11-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Revenge is a very solid string: Good power, nice feel, but durability wasn't greatest. As for Duralast, I've never tried it, but I heard it was a very overrated 1st gen poly.

Too bad your string needs to be directly from Babolat. I've settled on PolyStar. Great product.

BkK_b0y14
11-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Revenge is a very solid string: Good power, nice feel, but durability wasn't greatest. As for Duralast, I've never tried it, but I heard it was a very overrated 1st gen poly.

Too bad your string needs to be directly from Babolat. I've settled on PolyStar. Great product.
Today 09:49 PM

Yeah..I love Cyberflash and could get 2 packs for the price of Revenge! Haha...oh well..Ok thanks for the input, I will look into those Revenges. And is the Duralast on TW the same as the one that Nadal supposedly uses that isn't released in the US? Or are they completely different?

Spyre
11-02-2009, 09:31 PM
And is the Duralast on TW the same as the one that Nadal supposedly uses that isn't released in the US? Or are they completely different?

Yes, It is the same string that Nadal uses. However, Nadal uses a 15g (Flippin' 15 gauge!) version of it. Nadal uses Duralast but for marketing, they say he uses Pro Hurricane Tour.

Hope That helped.

Spyre

downs_chris
11-03-2009, 04:13 AM
the only babolat string that really stands out for me is the VS gut...i'm not a huge fan of their polys -- and I haven't really tried all their other multifilament strings....

but you should try topspin cyber flash, or msv focus hex when you get a chance -- i'm loving both of those strings in that racquet...can't you just get the racquet strung with your local stringer?

BkK_b0y14
11-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Would it be worth it to give natty gut a try? Since I am moving to a dense 18x20 pattern which is a lot different from the 14x18 on my POG...

tennisdad65
11-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Would it be worth it to give natty gut a try? Since I am moving to a dense 18x20 pattern which is a lot different from the 14x18 on my POG...

I have demoed this racquet. The racquet is very soft and if you are looking for 'arm friendly' in a modern racquet, this is it. Natural gut is not really needed, unless you need more power.

You can do natural gut at 50 lbs, or a multi at 45 lbs if you need more power. (recommended is 50-60)

stanfordtennis alum
11-03-2009, 12:26 PM
try maybe some of the new signum strings or the genesis strings.. both are very good

BkK_b0y14
11-03-2009, 03:57 PM
try maybe some of the new signum strings or the genesis strings.. both are very good

They have to be Babolat...sorry. But I'll pick up a couple packs of those and try them out for my next restring..

ihearit1st
11-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Why do they have to be Babolat again? If they're coming straight from Babolat, they won't be strung. Otherwise, there's no rule on what brand string you have to use unless you're sponsored. And if that were the case, you wouldn't be getting them from TW. FYI- Plenty of other sites sell POG Mids in all sizes. Just a thought.

ClubHoUno
11-03-2009, 06:08 PM

If you're a string breaker and go through polys fast, natty gut would be very expensive for you.

But with that said, going from a 14x18 string bed to an 18x20 is a LOT OF DIFFERENCE, and should give you much better string durability.
If you also add a decent amount of string savers aurrounding the sweetspot and upper half of the string bed, then I would consider trying Babolat VS NATTY GUT as the Babolat PS LIMITED GT is a racquet, that just screams for a natty gut setup :D

I use an all Babolat VS Natty gut setup in my PS LIMITED GT's, in fact I bought the racquets fot this purpose alone and natty gut in this low powered control frame plays like a dream for me.

I would avoid VS 17 and go for VS 16, maybe try one of your racquets with a full BABOLAT VS 16 natty gut string job and the other racquet with a hybrid of Babolat VS 16 NATTY GUT mains and (I don't fabcy any of the Babolat Poly strings, but you say IT HAS TO BE STRINGS FROM BABOLAT) Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17 gauge in the crosses and then if you also buy a third PSL GT racquet, then go for the reverse hybrid - Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17 gauge in the mains and Babolat VS 16 natty gut in the crosses.

BkK_b0y14
11-05-2009, 04:39 PM
So...I talked to the Babolat rep who I was going to order the rackets from and they dont have the PSL GT in stock at their place...so I have to order them from TW now..So recommendations on string? I want to give Babolat VS a try but I'm afraid I'll break them too fast...
But the 18x20 pattern should help right? I just want a good string setup for these badboys because I have a tournament coming up next Saturday at Stanford.

c_hari_c
11-05-2009, 07:19 PM
So...I talked to the Babolat rep who I was going to order the rackets from and they dont have the PSL GT in stock at their place...so I have to order them from TW now..So recommendations on string? I want to give Babolat VS a try but I'm afraid I'll break them too fast...
But the 18x20 pattern should help right? I just want a good string setup for these badboys because I have a tournament coming up next Saturday at Stanford.

This thread is good because I also have purchased a couple of Babolat PSL GT recently. I am using Wilson NXT Tour 18G string just because it is a 18 X 20 pattern. Usually I greak the 18G within 10 hours on my previous K90 which is 16x19. So far I have played for 10 hours with this 18g and no breakage so far but nxt has started to fray a little.

SlapShot
11-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I've been running a hybrid of Alu in the mains and NXT Tour 17 in the cross at 58#, and it's a solid combo - it's actually quite crisp, considering the flex of the frame, and power-wise, it's about perfect (plenty when you need it, and I've found that I can dial back the power almost on command).

downs_chris
11-06-2009, 05:01 AM
my string combo rankings for this racquet so far:

1) MSV Focus Hex 18 mains, Gosen OG Sheep 17 in the crosses -- very good spin potential, good control and the best part -- very comfortable poly

2) Top Spin Cyber Flash -- not quite as comfortable as the MSV, but still a very good string -- good feel and control...in terms of price, you really can't go wrong with this in reel form...

3) Luxilon ALU Rough mains, NXT 17 in the crosses -- this was very stiff at first (since the mains were strung at 60) -- but felt very good after a few hours...the only issue, is the tension loss -- if you string it a little lower and can restring this setup for every match, then you're set! Might not be cost effective!

Waiting to try Full VS Natty gut, Weiss Cannon Silverstring, and SP Tornado and Plasma this week...

ClubHoUno
11-06-2009, 06:02 AM

This is an excellent chance to test some setups and see how fast you break them.

Give this racquet a chance to be string with a hybrid of Babola VS Touch 16 mains @ 60 lbs and either a Luxilon Alu BigBanger Rough cross @ 56 lbs or (for better feel after the 4-5 hours mark, where the Lux dies) a Signum Pro Hyperion @ 58 lbs cross.

I tell you this hybrid plays great - I would play this hybrid, if I didn't play the full Babolat VS natty gut in the PSL GT :)

If you would prefer a poly in the mains, switch them around and save a bit on the nat gut and get the Babolat Tonic+ 16 for the cross string @ 60 lbs and the Signum Tornado 17 @ 58 lbs for the main string.
When gut is played in the cross string, it really only gives you comfort and power - the Babolat Tonic+ 16 gives you very very close to the same power and comfort as the Babolat VS Touch 16, and is cheaper.

If you use the nat gut in the mains, don't save the money, because the feel comes from the main string, so here the difference between the Babolat nat gut Tonic+ 16 and the VS Touch 16 will be more noticeable in my personal experience.

I save a bit on natty gut, ONLY WHEN I PLAY THE NATTY GUT IN THE CROSS STRING in a hybrid.
When I use the natty gut in the main string, I always buy the best quality, because here I can actually feel the small differences in quality !

BkK_b0y14
11-06-2009, 06:32 AM
^^ Man you really know your natty gut haha. But yes that was great advice and I look forward to trying out some of those setups. However, if I did put poly in the mains would it eat through the natty gut faster than it does if it were in the crosses?

downs_chris
11-06-2009, 06:55 AM
if you were using a real thin poly, and a real thin natty gut in the crosses...then maybe? but you're doing a hybrid job with VS Tonic (16 gauge), you should be ok? my goal is to find the perfect poly to blend with a VS tonic -- so far MSV Focus Hex is at the top of my list, but Cyber flash isn't too far behind....

ClubHoUno
11-06-2009, 07:01 AM
^^ Man you really know your natty gut haha. But yes that was great advice and I look forward to trying out some of those setups. However, if I did put poly in the mains would it eat through the natty gut faster than it does if it were in the crosses?

Poly in the crosses will always cut through the nat gut in the mains faster than poly in the mains will cut through nat gut in the crosses in my experience.

If you just make sure to get 16 gauge natty gut, you still get very good feel and playability while you also get decent durability.

Make sute to add some Babolat elastocross string savers to prolong the life of the gut - if you use enough you get more than 100% extra life out of it.

PED
11-07-2009, 11:41 AM
The psl is soft enough as was mentioned above. The 18 20 pattern is not that big of a switch-I came from a Prestige Pro with a 16 19 and after a day or 2 to adjust to the lower trajectory of the tighter pattern, all is good.

I'm using full k baum pl2 at 52/50. It's a bit colder here on the east coast ATM than in CA so that's why I've got it lower. I will likely be going with 55 or 56 lbs come next summer. PL2 is quite soft with nice pop and it works really well in the psl gt. I thought I might have to go with a thinner gauge than 1.25 mm with the tight pattern but it's not an issue at all.

On a side note, I think the pslgt is a good move feel wise for you from the POG, they both have that nice cushioned feel and you should feel right at home.

BkK_b0y14
11-09-2009, 08:30 PM
This is an excellent chance to test some setups and see how fast you break them.

Give this racquet a chance to be string with a hybrid of Babola VS Touch 16 mains @ 60 lbs and either a Luxilon Alu BigBanger Rough cross @ 56 lbs or (for better feel after the 4-5 hours mark, where the Lux dies) a Signum Pro Hyperion @ 58 lbs cross.

I tell you this hybrid plays great - I would play this hybrid, if I didn't play the full Babolat VS natty gut in the PSL GT :)

If you would prefer a poly in the mains, switch them around and save a bit on the nat gut and get the Babolat Tonic+ 16 for the cross string @ 60 lbs and the Signum Tornado 17 @ 58 lbs for the main string.
When gut is played in the cross string, it really only gives you comfort and power - the Babolat Tonic+ 16 gives you very very close to the same power and comfort as the Babolat VS Touch 16, and is cheaper.

If you use the nat gut in the mains, don't save the money, because the feel comes from the main string, so here the difference between the Babolat nat gut Tonic+ 16 and the VS Touch 16 will be more noticeable in my personal experience.

I save a bit on natty gut, ONLY WHEN I PLAY THE NATTY GUT IN THE CROSS STRING in a hybrid.
When I use the natty gut in the main string, I always buy the best quality, because here I can actually feel the small differences in quality !

This is going to be my first time using natty gut..so is the tension you suggested a good place to start? Lots of people talk about how "springy" or "too powerful" gut is when it is strung at lower tensions. I used to string my POG's at around 57-58lbs consistently..so do you feel that the 58/60lbs you suggested will be a good match? Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

BkK_b0y14
11-09-2009, 09:40 PM
I just bit the bill and got both with VS 16 in the mains at 60 and Lux Alu Rough in the X's at 56 like you said. We'll see how they hit on Wednesday :) Thanks again for your help.

ClubHoUno
11-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I just bit the bill and got both with VS 16 in the mains at 60 and Lux Alu Rough in the X's at 56 like you said. We'll see how they hit on Wednesday :) Thanks again for your help.

I think you did the right thing, since It's your first time using Natty GUT, go with what most recommends. Then you can slowly experiment with your preferred tension and decide based on that.

But to get as uniform a stringbed with a constant SBS (STRING BED STIFFNESS) stringing the mono @ 56 lbs and the Natty GUT @ 60 lbs sounds just right. I use the sameksistens tension in my hybrid - whether I have the Natty GUT on the mains or crosses, whether I got the mono on the mains or crosses, I always prefer the tension to be:

Babolat VS NATTY GUT @ 60-62 lbs
Soft Mono/CoPoly @ 58 lbs
(Signum Hyperion/Tornado)
Hard Mono/CoPoly @ 56 lbs (Luxilon Alu BB POWER/ROUGH)

smooveken
11-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I have recently switched to this racquet a week ago and have been playing it with a full bed of Addiction 16. I hear a lot of great things about using a 17g strung at 55 lbs and was hoping someone can recommend something. I hear a lot of good things about Gosen micro sheep 17g ?

I don't plan to run any kind of hybrid or poly as I am very used to playing with synthetic.