PDA

View Full Version : Nadal - Significant weight loss?

origmarm
11-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Is it just me or has Rafa recently lost a significant amount of weight? To his detriment.

In ACE tennis magazine (UK magazine) there was a shot of him that looked very different and there was a little pie chart indicating it had been the source of some debate in tennis circles. I did a search on here and I can't see any threads about it, also a Google search failed to reveal anything. Am I missing something or was it just a particularly bad photo?

CMM
11-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Nadal some days ago at practice

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3551/rafap.jpg

Cody
11-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Nice, you caught him coming out of the shower.

Yes I think everyone noticed his weight loss post wimbledon and I'm pretty sure this has been posted a couple of times

CMM
11-03-2009, 02:13 AM
In this video, his physiotherapist says that he has the same weight although his aspect changed a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBqbpu1WZ28

zacinnc78
11-03-2009, 02:55 AM
in trying to avoid the ever-so-fun steroid accusations:),im gonna say he shed some pounds to take some more stress off the knees

origmarm
11-03-2009, 05:58 AM
Nice, you caught him coming out of the shower.

Yes I think everyone noticed his weight loss post wimbledon and I'm pretty sure this has been posted a couple of times

I hadn't spotted these threads. Can you remember what the verdict was?

re zacinnc78's comment I think it's entirely possible that the diet did indeed change to take some of the stress off his joints imo. What seemed strange to me is that it appears that he has lost muscle if that makes sense, in contrast to Roddick for example who just looks leaner.

To make things clear I think this has nothing to do with steroids or other PEDs. I believe Nadal to be a clean player I was just wondering what the change was down to and if it had been discussed/people knew what was going on.

Bjorkman & Johnny Mac
11-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Well obviously less muscle mass and weight is going to do be more beneficial for Nadal in the long run especially for the knees. Good move from Nadal but will he have the strength and force on his shots (BH, serve etc) now that he used to have?

sureshs
11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Nadal lost weight once he stopped taking steroids.

feetofclay
11-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Give it a rest. It's becoming very boring.

CMM
11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
He lost weight because Xisca is a nympho.

r2473
11-03-2009, 11:50 AM

He gained a lot of weight when he was doing bong hits with Michael. But since he started doing meth with Andre, he has lost some weight.

hifi heretic
11-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I too suspect he shed a few pounds to take some weight off his knees. ..Since he didn't have much excess body fat, the weight lost was probably at least partly muscle. ..And given his style of play I would imagine this loss of muscle has led to loss of explosiveness which may account, in part, for his recent struggles (relatively speaking, of course).

As for the steroid accusations, they are patently ridiculous and seem to be made primarily by people who haven't been to a gym in years . ..In my opinion (and others at my gym) there is NOTHING about his physique that clearly suggests steroid use. ..Yes, he has a big left arm and Yes, he is fairly "cut". Still, my gym has at least 10 high-school basketball players who are built like him even though they (as it is claimed for Nadal) don't use free weights much.

sureshs
11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
^^^ I hope those basketball players are not on steroids

Cody
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM

re zacinnc78's comment I think it's entirely possible that the diet did indeed change to take some of the stress off his joints imo. What seemed strange to me is that it appears that he has lost muscle if that makes sense, in contrast to Roddick for example who just looks leaner.

To make things clear I think this has nothing to do with steroids or other PEDs. I believe Nadal to be a clean player I was just wondering what the change was down to and if it had been discussed/people knew what was going on.

This is TW, there is never a real verdict :)

Nah people were just claiming steriod use, others were saying his recent injuries have called for less weight which is what i believe.

stanfordtennis alum
11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
yes, it seems as though he lost some weight

jackson vile
11-03-2009, 03:04 PM

Tin foil hat time again LOL You guys are nuts and pathetic

prosealster
11-03-2009, 04:13 PM
i thought there was another thread quoting his PT saying that he lost 5kg to take stress load off his knees

TheFifthSet
11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
When will you guys realize that Sureshs is a parody? WHEN????

Tomaz Bellucci
11-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Is he retired? I can't see him nowhere

maddogz32
11-03-2009, 06:11 PM

i dont see why everyone cant see that he doesnt take them, people cant just be muscular and not take steroids, look at most other sports, they have very muscular players but most people dont say they take steroids.

Ledigs
11-03-2009, 06:41 PM

He already had very little body ft so any weight loss would have to come from muscle. Also he point blank denied weight loss in a us open pressed 2009

TnsMan2
11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Take Deca out of the diet whamo weight loss!

rafan
11-03-2009, 10:08 PM
The first thing i noticed when i saw Nadal live was how much thinner he is in the flesh. He doesn't even look anything like the hype photos and Fed - well - I couldn't believe it - almost a stick insect.

Bud
11-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Nadal some days ago at practice

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3551/rafap.jpg

This is how he's always looked if you've ever seen him play/practice in person. He's not a huge/muscular guy like some people in this forum seem to think.

rafan
11-04-2009, 01:40 AM
This is how he's always looked if you've ever seen him play/practice in person. He's not a huge/muscular guy like some people in this forum seem to think.

Something this photo also shows is what he has in common with Borg and a lot of excellent players is that his eyes look close together

PCXL-Fan
11-04-2009, 01:44 AM

haha your hilarious

but I've read though that muscle mass (well at least bulk) still remains once steroid treatment ends.

Hence look at Manny Ramerez in baseball still has all his bulk.

OJ ROD
11-04-2009, 07:32 AM
He lost weight because Xisca is a nympho.

Social misfit alert: What's that?

OJ ROD
11-04-2009, 07:35 AM
If his weight really has not changed, although he does look like he's lost some weight, it could just be he shed weight off the upper body, and gain some in the lower to help with the knees.

TheMusicLover
11-04-2009, 07:42 AM

This.
He's a perfectly NORMAL guy, not even tall, let alone 'big'.

CMM
11-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Social misfit alert: What's that?

How old are you?

OJ ROD
11-04-2009, 02:52 PM
How old are you?

What do you mean?

CMM
11-05-2009, 02:06 AM
What do you mean?
If you don't know what nympho means, ask google.

SirGounder
11-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Some people are just naturally more muscular than others and have good definition of the muscles even without lifting weights.

As for the weight loss, NBA players do this quite a bit. Kobe Bryant put on about 15 pounds of muscle back about 5 seasons ago, saying that the extra strength would help him. Now that he is older, he lost some of the weight to help him stay quick.

If Nadal can make the adjustment and play with a little bit less athleticism and strength then he'll be fine, and his knees will last longer.