PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Federer will coach his daughters?

snowbearr
11-03-2009, 05:09 AM
I kinda of doubt that

First, I assume Fed wants his daughters to be pros..then second, technique, really? 2 single back hand players? and doubles?:-?

pound cat
11-03-2009, 05:15 AM
I kinda of doubt that

First, I assume Fed wants his daughters to be pros..then second, technique, really? 2 single back hand players? and doubles?:-?

Name me one player who had a parent/parents who were top pros and became pros themselves.

Don't hold your breath on the Federer girls being any differerent.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-03-2009, 05:26 AM
I understand this is a very tempting thought, however there is just as big of a chance imo that they end up being Skiiers or even Business-women, if they choose to play tennis they will have better ground than Average Joe`s daughters both financially (obvioulsy) and also genetical. (Mirka also was a very good player,lets not forget)
Id say if they choose to play tennis, they will probably become professional, but they will not be a Martina or a Steffi.
Also i think that children to famous tennisplayers will always try to create their own legacy/identity. That often means not follow your mom`s/dad`s famous footsteps.

eagle
11-03-2009, 05:39 AM
Don't forget the multi slam winners Agassi/Graf. Their trophy display case could overwhelm any pro athlete.

Pressure would be enormous. Coming from tennis bluebloods, the kids would be expected to win and not just play well.

r,
eagle

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Don't forget the multi slam winners Agassi/Graf. Their trophy display case could overwhelm any pro athlete.

Pressure would be enormous. Coming from tennis bluebloods, the kids would be expected to win and not just play well.

r,
eagle
You are absolutely right!
Steffi+Andre= 30 slams

Fed is only halfway :shock:

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-03-2009, 06:53 AM
You never know what your kids will want to do. Jordans kid didn't mind the shadow. I work for my old man and dont mind being a shadow either. Beats working at a corporate level job.

It would be neat to keep Fed around the game.

lawrence
11-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Can you imagine if Fed managed to teach 2 WTA players (his daughters) how to play like ATP players? By just giving them FEDERERTRAINING from the age of 5.

It would be slaughter. haha

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Can you imagine if Fed managed to teach 2 WTA players (his daughters) how to play like ATP players? By just giving them FEDERERTRAINING from the age of 5.

It would be slaughter. haha
It doesnt work that way though, as a coach/AND as a father-coach you have to be very observant and openminded to each and every individual, what workes for player A might be something that player B despises.

Jay_The_Nomad
11-03-2009, 07:28 AM
It's very difficult for kids of successful athletes to make a break through in the same sport.

Because their parents are usually very very critical of them. Even more so than the ordinary parent.

So psychologically it's detrimental to the kid.

Mick
11-03-2009, 07:44 AM
as a tennis pro, i think the last thing federer would want to do in his spare time is to go to the tennis court to coach his children.

secondly, teaching the basics is a very boring activity for a world class player to take part in.

Blinkism
11-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Name me one player who had a parent/parents who were top pros and became pros themselves.

Taylor Dent

TheFifthSet
11-03-2009, 07:49 AM
He can ask me to coach them for a, errrr . . . reasonable fee.

OHBH
11-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Taylor Dent

Floyd Wayweather Jr.

T Woody
11-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Joaquim Noah
Ken Griffey Jr.
Barry Bonds
Nick Swisher
Stephan Curry
Peyton/Eli Manning
DJ Strawberry
many more...

You may be talking just tennis players though, in which case Dent is the only I know of....which is strange considering the prevalence in other sports. Seems to be weirdly absent in golf too.

kishnabe
11-03-2009, 12:51 PM

Bjorn Borg and his son try to become progessional bur Failed!!!

Yonie
11-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Roger already said in some interviews that they will put absolutely no pressure on the twin's shoulders and wont force them into anything.
They will probably pick up a racket at some point, but it needs far more to become a sucessful pro than just having skilled parents.

stanfordtennis alum
11-03-2009, 01:31 PM
prob not...

defrule
11-03-2009, 01:54 PM
They might not becomes pros but I'm sure they'll pick up racket and have a hit with their father.

pound cat
11-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Both of the Federer girls are going to become fashionistas mentored by Vogue editor Anna Wintour who sat in his box during USO.

IvanAndreevich
11-03-2009, 04:01 PM

Taylor Dent's dad was a pro. There are others as well.

Mick
11-03-2009, 04:19 PM

Here is probably the most successful case:

"Ivan Lendl was born into a tennis family in Ostrava, Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic). His parents were top players in Czechoslovakia. (His mother Olga was at one point ranked the No. 2 woman player in the country)"

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Lendl

Netspirit
11-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Given the current state of WTA, Roger could as well coach Mirka.

pound cat
11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Here is probably the most successful case:

"Ivan Lendl was born into a tennis family in Ostrava, Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic). His parents were top players in Czechoslovakia. (His mother Olga was at one point ranked the No. 2 woman player in the country)"

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Lendl

LOL.....I'm thinking of a player within the living memory of posters on this board

Nice try

maddogz32
11-03-2009, 06:15 PM
i dont know, he would be a good coach, but the question is whether or not he knows how to coach little kids

OddJack
11-03-2009, 06:56 PM
LOL.....I'm thinking of a player within the living memory of posters on this board

Nice try

Living memory or no that makes the case pertty good.

pound cat
11-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Living memory or no that makes the case pertty good.

Kuznetsova comes from a family of cyclists. Does that count?

PS Bets on for neither of the Federer children to be the least bit interested in playing tennis.

Mr Topspin
11-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Just because Federer and Mirka have good fundamentals in tennis does not mean that there children would become great tennis players. Forexample Agassi's and Graf's children may not have inherited the good genes from their parent's. They may have inherited the bad ones which may not benefit them.

If you all think of the movie Twins with Swarsnegger and Devito - one twin had all the good genes and one had the bad ones and yet they came from the same family. That is pretty much how genetics works - there are no gurantees that children will as a matter of right become great athletes because of their parent's. It's in the genes but those genes must be passed to the children. I give an example. I am from a family of word class athletes. My mother ran for her country and internationally and my father played international soccer. I Played tennis at satelite/challenger level. My sister can hardly walk due to a knee problems. Why is my sister not excelling as the rest of the family? Answer - she did not inherit the right genes.

pound cat
11-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Just because Federer and Mirka have good fundamentals in tennis does not mean that there children would become great tennis players. Forexample Agassi's and Graf's children may not have inherited the good genes from their parent's. They may have inherited the bad ones which may not benefit them.

If you all think of the movie Twins with Swarsnegger and Devito - one twin had all the good genes and one had the bad ones and yet they came from the same family. That is pretty much how genetics works - there are no gurantees that children will as a matter of right become great athletes because of their parent's. It's in the genes but those genes must be passed to the children. I give an example. I am from a family of word class athletes. My mother ran for her country and internationally and my father played international soccer. I Played tennis at satelite/challenger level. My sister can hardly walk due to a knee problems. Why is my sister not excelling as the rest of the family? Answer - she did not inherit the right genes.

Yes, they may have inherited the bad gene from Graf's side & will become tax evaders ...or from Andre's side in which case they may become bald drug users.

Azzurri
11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I kinda of doubt that

my god, is this what you people think of??? who cares???????????

JoelDali
11-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Forexample Agassi's and Graf's children may not have inherited the good genes from their parent's. They may have inherited the bad ones which may not benefit them.

Yeah Sampras' dad was a struggling 3.0 for many years. Luckily Pete and Stella got their Mom's tennis genetic codes.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/education/orthologs3.gif

TennisandMusic
11-05-2009, 11:31 AM

Did you just use the movie Twins as a scientific example of genetics?

GuyClinch
11-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Many athletes have the genes to become pro tennis players - its not that exclusive athletically. But the training and dedication that's very rare. Andre says he hates tennis. Do you think he will drive kids enough to make them tennis pros? I highly doubt it.

Most tennis pros are all upset about their lost "childhood" - as if memories of getting hazed as a kid compare to winning the US Open. Andre doesn't like his dad either for driving him into tennis. Of course they didn't get to experience it both ways..

Many of the regular kids would of course take their chances with the fame and glory of being a tennis star..

Pete

nereis
11-05-2009, 07:50 PM
The chances of Federer's children having an ounce of his potential are slim. That said, I can imagine that they would at the very least be able to play. Probably not professionally, but perhaps at the college level.

Bhagi Katbamna
11-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Mirka should be the one coaching them.

On how to land a top husband....

rommil
11-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I kinda of doubt that

No. Federer will send his daughters to the Jelena Jankovic Tennis Academy.

mandy01
11-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I have a feeling atleast one of the daugters could get into high fashion seeing how Mirka especially is so interested in it...
Besides when Anna Wintour follows Roger across the globe, the influence wont be hard to set in :wink:

mtommer
11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Joaquim Noah
Ken Griffey Jr.
Barry Bonds
Nick Swisher
Stephan Curry
Peyton/Eli Manning
DJ Strawberry
many more...

You may be talking just tennis players though, in which case Dent is the only I know of....which is strange considering the prevalence in other sports. Seems to be weirdly absent in golf too.

Other sports all you need to get the chicks, money and glory is be a pro or potential pro. You don't have to be successful as a pro. THAT is itself alluring to most individuals, no matter what you do. With tennis and golf you have to have the prestige to get the perks.

CCNM
11-07-2009, 03:24 PM
If he does coach his kids hopefully he won't be a Mr. Agassi, Mr. Pierce, or Mr. Dokic. :?