PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Advice Appreciated - With Videos (poor quality)

RoddickAce
11-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Hey, it's me again XD! I've worked on a lot things you guys suggested the last few times, and here is my current form. My footwork running around my backhand is off, cuz I had a busy schedule the past month and couldn't fit in tennis at all, but aside from that, everything is pretty representative of how I normally play.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially footwork-related ones.

I apologize for the bad quality of the video, I just realized how dim it looks and also, I had to choose between a recording mode of skipping frames or a pixelated screen :mad:.

edit: New Rallies with much better quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i69PnflFTqQ

Rallies(old vid):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-rfZVSajiQ

Serve + Return Points(old vid):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhWJkTeghic

Thanks everyone!

edit: Here are two short points from a tourney I played a few months ago, filmed from the side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf3dg2dyJoI

DavaiMarat
11-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Ok 1st things 1st.

Before I comment on form let's start with the basics. You're split stepping way too late. If you look at the video, you should be landing your split step at same time the opponent ball strike can be heard. From the looks of it your jumping like 3/4 to 1s after.

This well help you tremendously especially at the net.

RoddickAce
11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Ok 1st things 1st.

Before I comment on form let's start with the basics. You're split stepping way too late. If you look at the video, you should be landing your split step at same time the opponent ball strike can be heard. From the looks of it your jumping like 3/4 to 1s after.

This well help you tremendously especially at the net.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in my mind the next time I play, especially at net.

LeeD
11-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Looking good, good energy. 4-4.5 strokes, hope your mental game is there also. I'm sure faster deeper incoming balls would have you moving earlier and quicker. You gots the tools, now how is your head in tough matches?

RoddickAce
11-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Looking good, good energy. 4-4.5 strokes, hope your mental game is there also. I'm sure faster deeper incoming balls would have you moving earlier and quicker. You gots the tools, now how is your head in tough matches?

Thanks LeeD, I'm still working on the mental part:-P, I tend to start ripping the ball as hard as I can if I'm down more than a set and few games lolz...

dozu
11-05-2009, 08:18 AM
I won't be as generous to give you a 4.5..... looks mostly 4.0.... but that's not the point.

FH looks good... a couple of shots you lost a little balance.

gotta work on that BH, both topspin and the underspin. you need more body turn. remember, the 'back' in the 'backhand' means your back, not the back of your hand :)

that's a mouth full..... but without enough body turn, you can't use the back muscle to unwind the shoulder, and therefore you have to arm the ball, which lacks power and consistency.

that underspin shot is typical 3.5-4.0ish.... choppy and floaty.... make sure you have enough body turn in the backswing, and try to hit the shot with NO spin.. swing the racket along the target line and make sure you finish in balance (as if you can hold the finish for 3 seconds).

Bungalo Bill
11-05-2009, 10:23 AM
bumping this up for comment tonight

RoddickAce
11-05-2009, 03:19 PM
bumping this up for comment tonight

Yes! Thanks Bungalow Bill XD.

ReopeningWed
11-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Heyyy Slappy! :D
Seriously though, on your backhand. Where's the load on that thing?
You also want to cut back on wrist for both wings, and get a LOT more shoulder turn in.
On your forehand, you have a tendency to hit off of your back foot....
It's dark in the video, but I can't say that you're a 4.0. :(
There's potential though, keep at it.

RoddickAce
11-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Heyyy Slappy! :D
Seriously though, on your backhand. Where's the load on that thing?
You also want to cut back on wrist for both wings, and get a LOT more shoulder turn in.
On your forehand, you have a tendency to hit off of your back foot....
It's dark in the video, but I can't say that you're a 4.0. :(
There's potential though, keep at it.

hmm I think it's mostly the video, it's pretty hard to see, I apologize for that, ><...but here's a way clearer slow motion video of my backhand from earlier this year: http://www.vimeo.com/3304311
And forehand from earlier this year: http://www.vimeo.com/3304294.

ReopeningWed
11-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry RoddickAce, I take back Slappy. I can't really see it in the slo-mo video. Would you say you're much better now than you are 8 months ago?

RoddickAce
11-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm sorry RoddickAce, I take back Slappy. I can't really see it in the slo-mo video. Would you say you're much better now than you are 8 months ago?

haha it's ok, my video really sucked LOL.

Am I a lot better now? Well in certain aspects, I think I'm better.
-My forehand is bigger
-My backhand is a lot bigger and doesn't have that weird bent arm thing anymore. In my old video, I just just switched from an eastern to extreme eastern grip so I needed some time to adjust, but I think it really paid off because I can hit balls that are my head height on my backhand side a lot better.
-My sliced backhand went downhill for some reason
-My vollies were always pretty bad
-My first serve is slightly bigger
-My second serve has more kick
-And my footwork, I'm still kind of lazy when moving upwards, but in general it's better than back then.

So all in all, I think I'm better than I was 8 months ago, which is pretty sad since I'm still not that good lolz...

RoddickAce
11-05-2009, 05:21 PM
I won't be as generous to give you a 4.5..... looks mostly 4.0.... but that's not the point.

FH looks good... a couple of shots you lost a little balance.

gotta work on that BH, both topspin and the underspin. you need more body turn. remember, the 'back' in the 'backhand' means your back, not the back of your hand :)

that's a mouth full..... but without enough body turn, you can't use the back muscle to unwind the shoulder, and therefore you have to arm the ball, which lacks power and consistency.

that underspin shot is typical 3.5-4.0ish.... choppy and floaty.... make sure you have enough body turn in the backswing, and try to hit the shot with NO spin.. swing the racket along the target line and make sure you finish in balance (as if you can hold the finish for 3 seconds).

Thanks, I'm having trouble hitting good slices these days, I don't know why but, I can't seem to get that weight into the shot consistently anymore.

teppeiahn1
11-05-2009, 06:28 PM
On your forehand, keep your left arm up, your droping it which causes you to loose balance and end up arming the ball. More core rotation.

Your backhand, footwork gets sloppy. looks somewhat smooth. turn your shoulders more for power.

Hit the gym for stronger upper body for stability on heavy serve returns and heavy baseline battles.

Bungalo Bill
11-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey, it's me again XD! I've worked on a lot things you guys suggested the last few times, and here is my current form. My footwork running around my backhand is off, cuz I had a busy schedule the past month and couldn't fit in tennis at all, but aside from that, everything is pretty representative of how I normally play.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially footwork-related ones.

I apologize for the bad quality of the video, I just realized how dim it looks and also, I had to choose between a recording mode of skipping frames or a pixelated screen :mad:.

Rallies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-rfZVSajiQ

For your forehand:

Your forehand is good, just use your non-dominant arm more in your preparation bringing the racquet back. Once the shoulder goes under the chin, you can let go but use the non-dominant arm to scan through the contact zone before brining it back into the body. One of the issues I saw is you open up slightly too soon. By using your non-dominant arm it will also send more energy into the ball and it will help with your balance.

Footwork seemed like it looked good although it was a bit dark to see your feet and the other things I normally look at. When you load up for the forehand, make sure you feel your toes in the shot. This will help your momentum to be more forward and upward as you go through the ball.

Also, start learning to take the ball on the rise more.

Serve + Return Points:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhWJkTeghic

Okay, for your serve, keep your tossing arm up longer and really thrust off your toes to go up for the ball. Your legs are okay, but you can get more out of them and your coiling and uncoiling.

For the return of serve, especially on the bakchand side. Practice your step outs to the ball. This is a critical footwork pattern that you need to master on both sides, even for wider balls. If you go out to about 2:26 on the second video you will see what I mean. Instead of stepping out and then getting your feet settled, you crossed over and instantly sent your momentum too much sideways. The return of serve is primarly a foot-eye coordinated shot. Footwork dominates this stroke and you need to have enough discipline to practice it and use it in matches. Footwork rules in the return of serve.

dozu
11-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks, I'm having trouble hitting good slices these days, I don't know why but, I can't seem to get that weight into the shot consistently anymore.

It's in the shoulder turn in the backswing - you should wind up enough to feel the tension in your back muscle... then the forward swing is mostly just the unwind of the back muscle turning the shoulder into the shot.... your arm's major role is holding the racket firm and maintaining the L between the racket and the arm.

this is true for both the topspin and the underspin.... notice I didn't use the word 'slice', which I hate to the extent I had a separate thread called 'abandon the term slice'. for the underspin shot, if you let the back muscle unwinding the shoulder which pushes the L unit, with the racket head tracing a path to the TARGET (not the GROUND!), with NO INTENTION TO CREATE SPIN, and finish in balance, you will hit this shot consistently with penetration, guaranteed!

Don't intentionally throw your weight into the shot, sacrificing your balance. BALANCE should be your focus, not the weight shift. Your arm and racket unit weights 15-20 lbs, swinging this unit forward naturally produces weight shift without you thinking about it.... If you lose balance and tip forward and your racket chops down to the ground, you will produce bad results, guranteed!

Bungalo Bill
11-05-2009, 08:08 PM

Seriously, your backswing isn't too bad on the backhand so don't make too much out of it. On both sides you can improve the backswing to get good shoulder rotation simply by getting that front shoulder under the chin. Any more than that and you just dont have the foundation in your swing to support a huge shoulder turn where you are showing your entire back to the opponent.

Work on simply getting that front shoulder under the chin and you have enough shoulder turn.

What I liked about your backhand was the use of the smile pattern. Good job. What I didn't like in your backhand was your weight transfer over your front foot. This is critical for both your slice and topspin backhand. By partially or lightly transferring your weight over your front foot at times you were hitting leaning back or not fully getting into your shot with your legs. A good knee bend will also help.

I think a poster mentioned this above on the loading and legs. I will recheck above.

RoddickAce
11-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Thank you Bungalow for your detailed analyses and everyone here too!

BB, I have a question about the step-out on the return, I think I know what you're referring to: let's say on my backhand, when I'm reaching for a ball on the return, my left leg is planted on the same spot, and then I crossover and my body spins around. So would the correct way be to immediately stretch and step out my left foot after I leave my split-step and then cross-over?

Btw, thanks for the tip on the non-dominant arm from one of my first threads, it really improved my forehand a lot, granted it still needs work, but now my forehand seems a lot more controlled and even bigger than before.

Bungalo Bill
11-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Thank you Bungalow for your detailed analyses and everyone here too!

BB, I have a question about the step-out on the return, I think I know what you're referring to: let's say on my backhand, when I'm reaching for a ball on the return, my left leg is planted on the same spot, and then I crossover and my body spins around. So would the correct way be to immediately stretch and step out my left foot after I leave my split-step and then cross-over?

Yes, then you either go into your stance, shuffle to go into your stance or crossover to pick-up more ground. Your initial move is with the foot closest to the ball. If you crossover first, nine times out of ten you will have your momentum going too much sideways and you risk your head turning too much sideways which makes it more difficult to keep both eyes on the ball.

Most people have the issue you have. They move their dominant leg first because it is the dominant leg. You need to train your non-dominant leg to control the leg work on your backhand side. An overlooked area for weak backhands is the non-dominant leg is not in control enough for that side.

Btw, thanks for the tip on the non-dominant arm from one of my first threads, it really improved my forehand a lot, granted it still needs work, but now my forehand seems a lot more controlled and even bigger than before.

Good!

RoddickAce
11-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Yes, then you either go into your stance, shuffle to go into your stance or crossover to pick-up more ground. Your initial move is with the foot closest to the ball. If you crossover first, nine times out of ten you will have your momentum going too much sideways and you risk your head turning too much sideways which makes it more difficult to keep both eyes on the ball.

Most people have the issue you have. They move their dominant leg first because it is the dominant leg. You need to train your non-dominant leg to control the leg work on your backhand side. An overlooked area for weak backhands is the non-dominant leg is not in control enough for that side.

Good!

I never thought of it that way, now I understand what you meant by shifting your weight sideways too much in some other threads.

Thanks a lot again for your help!

Bungalo Bill
11-06-2009, 03:11 PM
I never thought of it that way, now I understand what you meant by shifting your weight sideways too much in some other threads.

Thanks a lot again for your help!

You're welcome.

Tip: Now that you know what that is, if you see your opponent moving like on your well struck ball, chances are your opponent will not be able to get their hips into their shot, consider moving in when you see that. I often refer this as a "one segment stroke".

Jaewonnie
11-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Off topic but

are you playing in Waterloo Tennis club?

RoddickAce
11-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Updated with a new vid that has much better quality, so anyone who's interested can check out the flaws in my strokes more clearly.

Link (can be found in the first post as well): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i69PnflFTqQ

I think the new vid shows even more clearly how I open up too early on my forehand, as well as leaning back on my backhand. BungalowBill, what are some ways to make sure I do a proper weight transfer on my backhand?