PDA

View Full Version : American Tennis 2010 Predictions

tvp900
11-03-2009, 09:42 AM
American tennis has new life after the 2009 season. I want to know if it will continue to rise, or if this year was just a fluke.

Andy Roddick - After the epic Wimbledon final, he kinda bombed out, but will 2010 prove any better?
James Blake - He bombed out of the rankings and had little to no success in the slams. I think he's finished, but with a new coach, can he improve in 2010?
Sam Querrey - He won his second title during the summer and made the finals of 3 others, plus posted a decicive win over Roddick.

There's plenty other American players like Taylor Dent, Mardy Fish, and John Isner. Who's going to fail and who's going to succeed?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-03-2009, 09:46 AM
American Tennis is right now in the twilight zone imo, the legacy of Sampras Agassi Courier Chang is impossible to live up to unless Roger Federer would have been born in USA.
About current players i can definetely see Roddick as a strong contender at the 3 of the slams next year and in the HC-MS-titles.
Isner will create some upsets on fast HC and possibly on grass but week in and out wins are not for him.
Sam Querrey showed in USO vs Soderling that he has a long way to go to the top, he needs to work on lots of things. As for the rest of the Americans i dont see anything at all.
Donald Young has played well lately, on Challenger level.
I think the USTA should start looking at the best 13-14 year old and try to give them what they need.

jones101
11-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I think Roddick will be top 10 still next year, having a similar year to this one.

Blake IMO will be top 20 again next year, he will have a better year than this one.

Querry will be top 25, id be suprised if he was in the top 15 though.

Isner could be top 30 IMO.

I can't comment on Donald Young as I have never seen him play.

grafselesfan
11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Roddick will end the year outside the top 10 for the first time since 2001. Wimbledon 2009 was his last hurrah.

Blake will retire at years end, no longer ranked in the top 50.

Querrey will make it to the top 20.

Isner will make it to the top 50.

Donald Young will suffer his first loss to someone younger than him, stay outside the top 100, and consider retirement at the young age of 21.

Spatula
11-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Roddick will end the year outside the top 10 for the first time since 2001. Wimbledon 2009 was his last hurrah.

Blake will retire at years end, no longer ranked in the top 50.

Querrey will make it to the top 20.

Isner will make it to the top 50.

Donald Young will suffer his first loss to someone younger than him, stay outside the top 100, and consider retirement at the young age of 21.

Roddick will stay in the top 10, he works too hard not too...few hiccups but top 10

Blake will not retire, he's still makin' money and can easily improve his ranking since he tanked this year

Querrey, I agree top 20, but I'm thinking top 15

Isner already made it top 50, will finish the year in the top 50. My guess is top 30 by end of next year.

grafselesfan
11-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Roddick will stay in the top 10, he works too hard not too...few hiccups but top 10

Blake will not retire, he's still makin' money and can easily improve his ranking since he tanked this year

Querrey, I agree top 20, but I'm thinking top 15

Isner already made it top 50, will finish the year in the top 50. My guess is top 30 by end of next year.

Roddick has to drop out of the top 10 at some point. Only all time greats typically last 10+ years in the top 10 which Roddick, as much as I admire his hard work and determination, is not. His results since Wimbledon are certainly not top 10 calibre overall. If he cant regain his hard court form he will be out of the top 10 quickly. Grass can only do so much for you, unless you win Wimbledon which he isnt likely to ever do now after missing out this year.

Blake did not tank this year. It is laughable to think he did that, and yet would suddenly come back alot stronger next year yet another year older. Blake is an old man now in tennis terms, 30 at the end of the year. At his absolute best he was a marginal top 10 player at times in a much weaker field than today (forget the brief official #4 ranking as that was a complete joke). Now with his skills and speed naturally declining rapidly with age and the improved field he will only go down from here. If he cant even stay respectable on tour, like top 30 atleast, I dont see why he would continue at this age.

shaysrebelII
11-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Roddick - tail end of the top ten, but still hanging on and going deep (maybe) in majors

Blake - right on par with 2009. I'm not sure if things will get worse for him, ranking-wise, but I don't see them getting better

Querrey - slight improvement, but nothing spectacular. QF finish at a major at best

Isner - I can see him having the kind of summer Querrey did this year, but definitely not making a substantial impact at a major

all in all, a pedestrian year is forthcoming for American men's tennis, if you ask me.

atatu
11-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Not sure I would add anything new to what has already been said, in terms of younger players I expect Ryan Harrison to make some strides on the challenger circuit and maybe we'll see Taylor Dent back on the ATP tour on a regular basis. Wayne Odesnick will again be the last American left at the French.

tvp900
11-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Roddick has to drop out of the top 10 at some point. Only all time greats typically last 10+ years in the top 10 which Roddick, as much as I admire his hard work and determination, is not. His results since Wimbledon are certainly not top 10 calibre overall. If he cant regain his hard court form he will be out of the top 10 quickly. Grass can only do so much for you, unless you win Wimbledon which he isnt likely to ever do now after missing out this year.

Blake did not tank this year. It is laughable to think he did that, and yet would suddenly come back alot stronger next year yet another year older. Blake is an old man now in tennis terms, 30 at the end of the year. At his absolute best he was a marginal top 10 player at times in a much weaker field than today (forget the brief official #4 ranking as that was a complete joke). Now with his skills and speed naturally declining rapidly with age and the improved field he will only go down from here. If he cant even stay respectable on tour, like top 30 atleast, I dont see why he would continue at this age.

You can't be serious. A joke? the guy took a set of the then-unbeatable Federer and beat Nalbandian and Nadal to reach the Masters Final. That's no fluke my friend

tvp900
11-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Not sure I would add anything new to what has already been said, in terms of younger players I expect Ryan Harrison to make some strides on the challenger circuit and maybe we'll see Taylor Dent back on the ATP tour on a regular basis. Wayne Odesnick will again be the last American left at the French.

Second-last American in the draw. Roddick proved he could play on the dirt, and once the clay court season starts up again, he loses all the pressure as nobody thinks anything of his clay court game. I can see him making the quarterfinals, or dare I say, semifinals?

jaggy
11-03-2009, 05:13 PM
I think Roddick could go deep at the Aus Open but should spend his spring priming for a real push at Wimbledon where he has a real shot of winning.

Gugafan
11-03-2009, 06:58 PM
There is only one big American hope in 2010 and that is Melanie Oudin.

Disagree that Roddick will be a non factor. He works extremely hard to be in top shape, and has still got the all round consistency and big serve to beat players outside of the top 20. Plus guys like Haas have been able to go deep in slams at 30+, so there is no reason why Roddick cant make a push on the faster surfaces.

grafselesfan
11-03-2009, 07:02 PM
You can't be serious. A joke? the guy took a set of the then-unbeatable Federer and beat Nalbandian and Nadal to reach the Masters Final. That's no fluke my friend

What you dont seem to get is it is mostly about the slams here. Blake when he briefly reached #4 in the World had been in only 1 slam quarterfinal and no other times past the 3rd round of a slam in the past year. So I dont think anyone other than the biggest Blake fanboys ever believed he was a legit top 5 player, even for a little stint, with those slam results. It is not like he compensated by winning Masters titles either, and making finals is not enough to compensate for such mediocre slam results when you are talking about that kind of ranking.

As for the Masters Cup you refer to yeah he played well but the final with Federer was a complete laugher like most of their matches were.

Conquistador
11-03-2009, 07:08 PM
American Tennis is right now in the twilight zone imo, the legacy of Sampras Agassi Courier Chang is impossible to live up to unless Roger Federer would have been born in USA.
About current players i can definetely see Roddick as a strong contender at the 3 of the slams next year and in the HC-MS-titles.
Isner will create some upsets on fast HC and possibly on grass but week in and out wins are not for him.
Sam Querrey showed in USO vs Soderling that he has a long way to go to the top, he needs to work on lots of things. As for the rest of the Americans i dont see anything at all.
Donald Young has played well lately, on Challenger level.
I think the USTA should start looking at the best 13-14 year old and try to give them what they need.

I thought he was the mayor of New York.

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/roger-federer-esbusopen08c.jpg

Serendipitous
11-03-2009, 07:14 PM
I thought he was the mayor of New York.

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/roger-federer-esbusopen08c.jpg

Really ???? ?????

Michael Bluth
11-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Andy should stay in the top 10.

Blake and Querrey will be top 20.
Isner will be top 30.
No telling what Fish will do- he is quite inconsistent, but I guess he'll hang around the top 50.

The one I'll be really watching is Harrison. He's progressing quite nicely so far. Hoping he can crack the top 200 next year, maybe even get to within striking distance of the top 100 by year's end.

tvp900
11-04-2009, 08:05 PM
What you dont seem to get is it is mostly about the slams here. Blake when he briefly reached #4 in the World had been in only 1 slam quarterfinal and no other times past the 3rd round of a slam in the past year. So I dont think anyone other than the biggest Blake fanboys ever believed he was a legit top 5 player, even for a little stint, with those slam results. It is not like he compensated by winning Masters titles either, and making finals is not enough to compensate for such mediocre slam results when you are talking about that kind of ranking.

As for the Masters Cup you refer to yeah he played well but the final with Federer was a complete laugher like most of their matches were.

So what you're saying, is it's pathetic that he lost to the greatest of all time. Last time I checked, Federer is a pretty good player. You have to figure, if it weren't for Federer, Blake would have beaten nearly anyone else in the US Open quarterfinal, and already had a great record against Davydenko. Of course, without-Federer statements are HIGHLY hypothetical