PDA

View Full Version : How to know the right tension?

MaratSafin_fan
11-03-2009, 11:09 AM
How do I know that my racket-tension is that right for me? How do I know if I have to low tension or to hard strung racket?

KenC
11-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Usually people look at the suggested tension range written somewhere on the racquet and string right in the middle of that range. Then if it seems to low and you are sending balls over the fence to start raising the tension. If you have difficulty hitting deep, lower the tension.

Note that with some polys its better to string 5-10% less than you would with a syn gut or multi.

HitItHarder
11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I think that it just comes from playing with your racquet at different tensions. If you play the same string combonation for a period of time you can play with the tensions to see what you prefer. If you change your type of string often though, you run the risk of that influencing how the racquet plays too. So stick with one string combonation and just play with the tension.

It won't take long for you to figure out what you prefer.

Lefty5
11-04-2009, 07:11 AM
In more powerful rackets, I like to string polys up about 5-10%, that's when the magic happens. You have to experiment to find what you like best. Maybe string two of your rackets about 8lbs apart, you'll know instantly which one you like better.

Loco4Tennis
11-04-2009, 08:54 AM
This is the process I go through when choosing the tension on my racquets
the right tension for YOU is the third consideration in the long process of finding the golden number
1st- go with the recommended tension on the racquet, usually 50 to 60lbs, lets start at 55lbs
2nd- see what strings you are about to use, imo the recommended tension on the racquet was determined by using synthetic gut strings usually by the manufacturer, they sometimes recommend the kind of string to use on the racquet, remember 55lbs of synthetic/multi string tension is and feels different from 55lbs of poly/kevlar strings; if you use polys, drop the tension to the 8-10% suggestion on the string package, from 55lbs, using poly it would be 50.6lbs@8% or 49.5lbs@10% (49.5lbs@10%)
3rd- this is all about you and what you like, hit with the recommended tension after going through steps 1 and 2 and see if you like it tighter or looser at that point,,, once you find your number, then be ready to start again if you decide to change the main string or crosses, in my experience, different strings will feel different on that same racquet, but at least you will have a much better starting tension to work from, hope that helps a bit

mozzer
11-04-2009, 09:32 AM
The right tension is the one you like the best.

LeeD
11-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Little string shift.
Lots of power.
Lots of control.
Few mishits or double/triple hits.
Decent string life.
Compromise.