PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a tension for a Luxilon String for someone in my situation

JavierLW
11-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Hello,

I recently filled out a form on here for the big "W" company and received some play test string. It says it's "Luxilon Prototype".

My goal is somewhat different then what Id normally do if I was trying a string because it's a poly and Im expecting that it's going to be completely different then what Im used to.

So I want to string it at a tension where I might get the most positive experience from it that I can, rather then string it at the same exact tension where it may come off as being something I totally hate. (which Im sort of afraid will be the case)

When I use Multi's I typically string them at 57 or 58, so Im thinking Im definately going to have to string it lower.

How much lower do you think Id have to go where I might find it at least close to favorable. (and where it wont completely throw off my game in the times that I do use it)

I think Im going to go to at least 55, but if someone has some reasoning on why I should go even lower, Id love to listen to any ideas around that. (or if they have made a similar switch and found other tension points worked that's cool as well)

Thanks!

MarrratSafin
11-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Hello,

I recently filled out a form on here for the big "W" company and received some play test string. It says it's "Luxilon Prototype".

My goal is somewhat different then what Id normally do if I was trying a string because it's a poly and Im expecting that it's going to be completely different then what Im used to.

So I want to string it at a tension where I might get the most positive experience from it that I can, rather then string it at the same exact tension where it may come off as being something I totally hate. (which Im sort of afraid will be the case)

When I use Multi's I typically string them at 57 or 58, so Im thinking Im definately going to have to string it lower.

How much lower do you think Id have to go where I might find it at least close to favorable. (and where it wont completely throw off my game in the times that I do use it)

I think Im going to go to at least 55, but if someone has some reasoning on why I should go even lower, Id love to listen to any ideas around that. (or if they have made a similar switch and found other tension points worked that's cool as well)

Thanks!

There is no need to go too low. Most people go lower with the older, stiffer Big Banger Alu but the newer Luxilon M2 is soft and can be strung at regular tension. I'm guessing this 'prototype' is the new Luxilon Adrenaline string that they will release next year and I predict it's a fairly soft co-poly.

JavierLW
11-03-2009, 05:36 PM
There is no need to go too low. Most people go lower with the older, stiffer Big Banger Alu but the newer Luxilon M2 is soft and can be strung at regular tension. I'm guessing this 'prototype' is the new Luxilon Adrenaline string that they will release next year and I predict it's a fairly soft co-poly.

Thanks, that is good to know. So no lower then 55 then?

smack that
11-03-2009, 05:40 PM
55-57 would be fine

MarrratSafin
11-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks, that is good to know. So no lower then 55 then?

55 is just about right if you string your multis at 58.:)

Lindsay
11-04-2009, 06:02 AM
My husband tried it last night and loved it. He's never been a poly fan and has played with Gamma TNT forever. He strung it at 25K in a Pure Storm and that's what he normally strings at. Great feeling stuff.

JavierLW
11-04-2009, 06:37 AM
My husband tried it last night and loved it. He's never been a poly fan and has played with Gamma TNT forever. He strung it at 25K in a Pure Storm and that's what he normally strings at. Great feeling stuff.

Cool, I looked it up and 25K = 55#.

So another vote for 55. :-)

JavierLW
11-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I went ahead and strung it at 55.

Again, this is my first time using any Poly, I was surprised that it didnt really seem excessively harsh or anything on my arm.

I first hit some serves with it, and noticed that I got a lot of crazy kick and surprisingly I was able to put a lot of pop on the ball as well.

Then later tonight I played in a USTA 3.5 Singles draw. I was hitting a lot of awesome backhand with a ton of spin, but I had no real touch shots, mostly because the other guy wasnt hitting with a ton of pace and I had trouble getting enough racquet head speed.

I won the first set 6-3, but was losing the 2nd set 0-5 when I switched back to my normal configuration.

Still lost 3-6, 6-0, (10-5) but I was getting a lot more pop off of my forehand with the gut/iso hybrid.

So since Ive never used Poly before Im not sure how helpful that all is, but it at least proves it to me that at least this type of Luxilon isnt necessarily that horribly stiff that I would have to string it lower then 55.

Im going to use it for a couple weeks to see when it goes dead, Im not totally sure it was playing the same near the end of the match as in the beginning even but it's hard to say in the middle of a tournament.

meowmix
11-07-2009, 07:21 PM
There were two luxilon prototypes that Wilson sent out. Did you receive a greyish poly, or a goldish poly?

I thought that the greyish poly had to be some of the best stuff I've ever played with. It was ungodly the first 2-3 hours, and just godly after that. It's been in my racket now for a month, and it still plays great.

JavierLW
11-08-2009, 07:59 AM
There were two luxilon prototypes that Wilson sent out. Did you receive a greyish poly, or a goldish poly?

I thought that the greyish poly had to be some of the best stuff I've ever played with. It was ungodly the first 2-3 hours, and just godly after that. It's been in my racket now for a month, and it still plays great.

It was the greyish stuff.

I did notice it changed somewhat after 2 hours or so near the end of the match.

Not sure how Im going to like it now, because it might not mix well with my game but I might play doubles tonight so I'll see.

At least for initial play though Id say it's better then any of the multi's Ive ever used. It even had more pop then when I used the full Isospeed job, although that's probably what goes away after awhile.

Not as good as a full job of VS/Wilson gut though, Ive never had the kind of feedback that I had with that, and it probably lasts a lot longer. (if you can get past the muted feel of it)

How was the gold stuff? I think I got lucky and got some of the softer forms of Poly, otherwise I probably would of wished I didnt put it in the racquet. (I dont have an excessively fast swing, especially on the forehand so I usually need a little extra pop sometimes if I get stuck in a match)

meowmix
11-08-2009, 09:58 AM
^I have a set of the gold stuff, but haven't strung it up yet. Apparently, the gold stuff is even better than the greyish stuff, more power, better tension maintance, etc. I'm excited.

Interestingly enough, one of my sticks is strung with Wilson NG, and I much prefer the dead lux over the NG. The NG is much more muted, and just different. It works wonders if I go to a very flat grip and try to smack shots into corners, but I can't seem to make it work when playing with my usual sw/wester grip...

JavierLW
11-08-2009, 06:44 PM
^I have a set of the gold stuff, but haven't strung it up yet. Apparently, the gold stuff is even better than the greyish stuff, more power, better tension maintance, etc. I'm excited.

Interestingly enough, one of my sticks is strung with Wilson NG, and I much prefer the dead lux over the NG. The NG is much more muted, and just different. It works wonders if I go to a very flat grip and try to smack shots into corners, but I can't seem to make it work when playing with my usual sw/wester grip...

Ya I saw your thread where you had Wilson NG. You just strung it way too low. You need to put it at 60# at least, then at least you'll get some concept of crispness. (since it's the softest string out there)

I had it at 60#, AND I put 100 string savers in it, and then it was fine.

It's pointless to put it too low, that would be the equivalent of stringing NXT at 53 or 54 instead of 57 or 58. (although the gut might still play better because NXT sucks! :-) )

JavierLW
11-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I played doubles today for 3 hours and had a very good experience.

Played against a pusher, and a guy who hits the ball harder and hits a lot of slice.

It was outside and slightly breezy, but I actually didnt notice anything negative that was string related and I think I adjusted my forehand enough to compensate for any lack of power. (or better put I fixed my forehand....)

So that's probably 5 hours of play so far. I have a 90 minute drill Wednesday against a bunch of flat hitting ground pounders so that might be interesting.

I should also mention that I ACTUALLY HAVE TENNIS ELBOW. Ive had it since the middle of the summer and it's been often been an issue. So to go to poly I was afraid that Id serious hurt it more but it's surprising that I dont actually notice any difference.

So in case I actually do like this stuff does anyone know of any cheaper polys that are comparable?

I know I wont be buying this because it's probably going to be way too expensive although that my depend on how long it seems to last before it goes dead.

meowmix
11-08-2009, 06:58 PM
One of the Ipexes I received a few weeks ago was strung with Topspin Cyberflash according to the seller. It felt NOTHING like either the M2 or the grey prototype.

Power Player
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM
How would you compare the cyberflash to the lux protoype in terms of power control and comfort? It has been 2-3 months since I have used it and I know I loved it, but it was in a different stick.

meowmix
11-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I simply hated the cyberflash. Admittedly, it was very much dead (according to the seller, it'd been a while since he restrung) and the tension was on the low side, but it did NOTHING for me. The lux OTOH, despite being dead, still bites the ball well, is still crisp, and still has that poly feel. The cyberflash... well, it might as well have been fecal matter for how well it played. I've played with strings that have been in a racquet for a month or two, and this string underperformed ANYTHING I've ever played with.

Stannie
11-08-2009, 07:55 PM
i string it at 60...keep it simple

JavierLW
11-09-2009, 08:56 AM
i string it at 60...keep it simple

It definitely would of sucked at 60. It seems just right at 55.

I was clearly going for "better", not just "simple". :-)

JavierLW
11-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Still going about the same after 6.5 hours.

Did a drill today, and similar results.

Great for pounding groundstrokes.

Great for my serve.

Good for volleys.

Not so much for touch shots. It seems like if Im not generating tons of racquet head speed somehow it's hard to feel the ball out.

JavierLW
11-20-2009, 10:23 AM
I think Im about done with this after 9 hours.

Between 7.5 and 9 hours it started to seem like my arm (wrist, elbow, shoulder) was hurting more although playability wasnt too horrible, except it seemed like I lost a little spring to it.

So never having used a Poly, I would sum it up by saying it's a stiffer string that actually is very resilient (which seems to be a nice combo) at first, but probably only will play amazing for up to 10 hours of play.

If I had a stringing machine and the strings were cheap I could see where it would be awesome to use this string, but otherwise I think Id have to restring every 2 weeks. I dont normally break strings so I cant justify something like that. (even if they were only $10 I couldnt justify that)

I could see where if someone was going to break strings anyway though, then they might as well go to something like this rather then a multi or synthetic gut string, it plays WAY better then those!

Now back to my usual setup.....

meowmix
11-20-2009, 11:29 AM
^I agree. Most poly's are fine 7,8, 9 hours into play, and then they just kind of die. This particular lux has been playing fine for me for well over 10 hours now, so I'm tempted to purchase a few sets if it ever comes out.