PDA

View Full Version : MSV Evo Hex- Anybody Tried It?

meowmix
11-03-2009, 05:06 PM
I just noticed that MSV has come out with a new version of the original MSV Hex. This version comes in 1.2, 1.25, and 1.3mm versions. Anybody tried this yet? How does it compare to the original?

scarnley
11-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I've been playing with it in the 1.20 diameter for about three weeks now. For the record, it's the new version of MSV's Focus Evo, not Focus Hex. It is essentially Focus Evo made in the hexagonal shape. I think there are some material differences in the strings, which is why I mention it.

I was using the Focus Hex in both the 1.18 and 1.10 diameter and had been pretty happy with it. Also tried the Focus Evo in the 1.25 and thought it felt great, but didn't have the grip I like to be able to get on kick serves and sliced backhands.

When I saw that the Hex version was coming out I decided to try some, and I've been really happy with it so far. It is like Focus Hex but a little softer. I don't feel like I give up any control with the Evo Hex, but it is more comfortable than the Focus Hex. You can also string it at higher tensions and it retains the softer feel. If you string too high with the Focus Hex, it gets boardy above 54 lbs or so, at least in my experience with it.

Anyway, really good ball pocketing and feel, nice on volleys and touch shots as well. Have been using it in a full bed and it almost feels like a hybrid setup in terms of softness, but the added control of a full copoly job is in there. If I had to nitpick, all I can come up with is that it moves around a little more than Focus Hex does, which also illustrates that it's not quite as stiff. Doesn't slide back and forth like an all multi job does, but it will move a little. Not really enough to be an issue, just mentioning it for those that can't stand any movement. After every five or six points, I might adjust a couple of strings, and for me it's typically only in the upper part of the hoop, not along the string's length, if that makes sense? I would guess that in an 18x20 pattern it probably wouldn't move at all.

My new string of choice, it's in a Pure Drive GT at 58lbs, and I'm getting a really comfortable hit out of it. Never thought I'd say that about a PD wih a full poly in it, but there it is!

Happy hitting!

alidisperanza
11-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Sweet thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know when TW is going to have it in stock? (asking where you get it is against the rules right? *wink*wink*)

I was waiting for forever for TW to pick up MSV and have loved playing with the hex so far.