PDA

View Full Version : drop weight question please

markwillplay
11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
so I have been stringing my becker mids myself on my new (to me anyway) drop weight stringer. I have been letting the weight freefall without really catching it so much. are you supposed to let it down easy with your hand (guide it down)? The reason I ask is that I have seen some people just let it fall and others seem to be more careful. Seems to stretch the string more when I let it fall by itself. I suppose it is the same tension as long as it is horizontal but I guess it stretches the string more to get there when you just let it drop freely. Which way is correct? thanks, Mark

LanEvo
11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
i like to guide it with my hand, bc at times if u just let it fall, u could damage the machine

Toad
11-03-2009, 07:08 PM
I think you risk snapping the string if you just let it free fall. Not only that but I would imagine doing that would put more stress on the frame. I guide the weight with my hand...learned from watching YULitle.

aussie
11-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Just place your hand under the weight and let it fall with your hand. The weight will stop gently where the string allows it. This will ensure that the string is less likely to snap than if the weight was allowed to drop from a height.

markwillplay
11-04-2009, 05:27 AM
gotcha...I bet mine are sort of prestretched now becasue I have relaly been letting it fall. Oh well, still great to be stringing my own sticks....I should have been doing this all along. Thanks.

Bud
11-04-2009, 10:00 AM
so I have been stringing my becker mids myself on my new (to me anyway) drop weight stringer. I have been letting the weight freefall without really catching it so much. are you supposed to let it down easy with your hand (guide it down)? The reason I ask is that I have seen some people just let it fall and others seem to be more careful. Seems to stretch the string more when I let it fall by itself. I suppose it is the same tension as long as it is horizontal but I guess it stretches the string more to get there when you just let it drop freely. Which way is correct? thanks, Mark

Support it as it falls. Otherwise you risk snapping the string (in addition to overstretching it).

alidisperanza
11-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Yearp... .SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP. Hope it's the string and not the frame. Letting it fall can "bounce" that's simply just not good.