PDA

View Full Version : HyBrid String Tensions

Marcus
11-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm experimenting with Hybrid stringing..... i'm interested to hear what tensions you guys use and for what reasons.

Eg I tried Poly Mains at 62 and Synthetic crosses at 58 in my PS85 made sense to me to keep the mains tight and allow some flex in the crosses !?! I like the results, I would normally use synthetic at 60

..... however do you take a different approach ?

For example....How would Poly mains at 58 and synthetic crosses at 62 compare to what I've already tried ? More spin potential ??

Your thoughts and experiences would be great

Thanks
Mark

aimr75
11-03-2009, 08:54 PM
for me, if its poly mains, multi cross, i usually string the mutli a couple pounds tighter since its a softer string

Marcus
11-03-2009, 09:26 PM
for me, if its poly mains, multi cross, i usually string the mutli a couple pounds tighter since its a softer string

would that make the synthetic mains perform closer to the poly ?

I thought the point was to have the mains & crosses performing differently ?

I'm asking questions here because I really don't know......

Thanks

Mark

mlewis721
11-03-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm pretty sure this isn't the first thread dedicated to this subject here at TW. If you click on "Search" and then "Advanced Search" and enter the keywords "hybrid tension" and select "Search Titles Only" and confine your search to just this forum you should find tons of prior comments.

But I'm a relative newcomer to these boards like yourself, so I will offer you my opinion on this business of "offsetting" tensions because I haven't participated in any of those prior threads.

My take is that this is understandable for a tour level player. The decision on whether or not it is beneficial can be arrived at in a single day. String up a bunch of identically weighted and balanced racquets with various hybrid configurations (gut/poly vs poly/gut, tighter mains, tighter crosses, blah, blah blah). Try them each for 1/2 hr or so and see if there are any standouts. Then cut all the strings out and tweak some more.

I don't know a single recreational player prepared to do anything of the sort.

The majority of recreational players asking for offsetted tensions do so because their favorite pro player does it, so therefore it must be good. Do these people replace their strings every day? No. Do they hit like pros? No. Do they even own a pair of matched racquets? No. Do they even have 2 of the same racquets in their bag? Occasionally.

To my mind the decision on whether or not to offset tensions should be made by the stringer, not the player. And the decision should be based on how best to preserve the original shape of the frame.

I have several customers who insist on me lowering their cross string tension because that's what Federer does. When I am finished stringing and I remove the racquet from the support of the machine vise, the racquets reconstitute themselves visibly. You can actually see the racquet head get shorter and wider as you release it from the vise. All the careful work done to avoid tension loss while installing the strings goes for naught as the racquet changes shape and negates it all. How this is going to improve anyone's play is beyond me.

Marcus
11-04-2009, 02:39 AM
I'm pretty sure this isn't the first thread dedicated to this subject here at TW. If you click on "Search" and then "Advanced Search" and enter the keywords "hybrid tension" and select "Search Titles Only" and confine your search to just this forum you should find tons of prior comments.

But I'm a relative newcomer to these boards like yourself, so I will offer you my opinion on this business of "offsetting" tensions because I haven't participated in any of those prior threads.

My take is that this is understandable for a tour level player. The decision on whether or not it is beneficial can be arrived at in a single day. String up a bunch of identically weighted and balanced racquets with various hybrid configurations (gut/poly vs poly/gut, tighter mains, tighter crosses, blah, blah blah). Try them each for 1/2 hr or so and see if there are any standouts. Then cut all the strings out and tweak some more.

I don't know a single recreational player prepared to do anything of the sort.

The majority of recreational players asking for offsetted tensions do so because their favorite pro player does it, so therefore it must be good. Do these people replace their strings every day? No. Do they hit like pros? No. Do they even own a pair of matched racquets? No. Do they even have 2 of the same racquets in their bag? Occasionally.

To my mind the decision on whether or not to offset tensions should be made by the stringer, not the player. And the decision should be based on how best to preserve the original shape of the frame.

I have several customers who insist on me lowering their cross string tension because that's what Federer does. When I am finished stringing and I remove the racquet from the support of the machine vise, the racquets reconstitute themselves visibly. You can actually see the racquet head get shorter and wider as you release it from the vise. All the careful work done to avoid tension loss while installing the strings goes for naught as the racquet changes shape and negates it all. How this is going to improve anyone's play is beyond me.

I'm blown if I can make the search function work !! could be me though !!

Thanks for your thoughts, lots of common sense there..... as a stringer would you advocate even tension for mains & crosses for most players in most instances ?

Mark

Pusher
11-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm experimenting with Hybrid stringing..... i'm interested to hear what tensions you guys use and for what reasons.

Eg I tried Poly Mains at 62 and Synthetic crosses at 58 in my PS85 made sense to me to keep the mains tight and allow some flex in the crosses !?! I like the results, I would normally use synthetic at 60

..... however do you take a different approach ?

For example....How would Poly mains at 58 and synthetic crosses at 62 compare to what I've already tried ? More spin potential ??

Your thoughts and experiences would be great

Thanks
Mark

Lots of issues in your post.

In your first example I would reverse the tensions-main 58, X 62. Otherwise the X string is just along for the ride.

Tension on hybrids is a tough call-only experience can give a good answer.

mlewis721
11-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm blown if I can make the search function work !! could be me though !!

http://i38.tinypic.com/m8iknd.gif

http://i37.tinypic.com/25k08ar.gif

as a stringer would you advocate even tension for mains & crosses for most players in most instances ?

YES!