PDA

View Full Version : Coach to coach questions

stillearning
11-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I am the assistant coach of a Division III team. This spring will be our first season. We are scrambling to put the pieces together. There are 1000ís of questions.
We have started to put together some ideas, but I am looking for help from those of you with more experience.

How many cases of balls do you purchase for your tennis team for the year?

Do you use the same brand of balls for matches and practice?

Do you have a racket stringing machine? What is the brand and model ? Would you buy it again? Why, or Why not?

Do you have a ball machine? What is the brand and model?
Would you buy it again? Why, or Why not?

Where do you purchase your team uniforms?

What do you supply (rackets, uniforms, string, etc.),to your players?

Do you have some sort of contract with companies (New Balance, Prince, Head, Wilson etc,) for the equipment for the players?

Thank you, for your responses in advance.

goran_ace
11-04-2009, 11:56 AM
For a new DIII program I can't imagine your budget is very large. I would recommend figuring out what you need to budget for travel and for balls, then spend the rest on a decent stringing machine and reels of string. Don't get a ball machine. If you have an odd number at practice you will get much more out of 2-on-1 drills.

It is not unheard of at that level to make your players pay for their own uniforms and shoes either out of pocket or subsidized in part/full through a fundraiser (talk to your AD or compliance officer about what is allowed). No need to buy your players rackets unless you have people cracking/breakling frames during the season.

cmb
11-04-2009, 05:41 PM
and how much money do they pay you?

BigT
11-04-2009, 06:01 PM
College programs can get string discounts.

tennismom42
11-04-2009, 06:09 PM
and how much money do they pay you? kind of rude question

jefferson
11-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Stringing machine: YES
Reels of string: YES (even just syn they can provide their own string for mains)
Ball machine: NO WAY what a waste of money
Balls: one case for every two home matches and then add 20 more
Rackets: NO
Practice tee shirts two or three for each player.
Uniforms: depends on budget this can very $$ quick.

goran_ace
11-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Also, buy overgrips in bulk

stillearning
11-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks for your ideas . I am looking for input and the wisdom that comes from experience. I donít want to re-invent the wheel. The budget is tight. I canít spend what I donít have, and I donít want to spend more then I need to. The ball machine may have to wait. Can you offer leads on suppliers who offer string and other discounts?

andfor
11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your ideas . I am looking for input and the wisdom that comes from experience. I don’t want to re-invent the wheel. The budget is tight. I can’t spend what I don’t have, and I don’t want to spend more then I need to. The ball machine may have to wait. Can you offer leads on suppliers who offer string and other discounts?

Who else could you go to but the best?! We used them for my sons Jr. High team. As your players will he also goes through tons of string and shoes. Even outside of the team discount we puchase those items here.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/team/

Selection and service at TW is as good as it gets on the web. Pricing is very competitive also. Give them a call they are always helpful.

tennismom42
11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your ideas . I am looking for input and the wisdom that comes from experience. I donít want to re-invent the wheel. The budget is tight. I canít spend what I donít have, and I donít want to spend more then I need to. The ball machine may have to wait. Can you offer leads on suppliers who offer string and other discounts?Have you worked with your Athletic office? Also, consider the neighborhood. Surely there's a local tennis club that would be excited about the new college team. Typically colleges have booster clubs or financial supporters. Get the players to get their friends & relatives to attend. Can you pass a donation bucket around?

bigfoot910
11-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Many times college programs can contact racquet companies and receive discounts for the players (nothing really free, just kind of bundles things and get a discount). From what I remember the package of Head used to be 3 racquets, a tournament bag, some string, a shirt, a hat, and maybe something else. It usually ended up saving you a decent amount of money, but the packages had to be associated with a college program...

Your best bet is to call the major companies and tell them you are a college coach looking to see if they offer college discount packages.

Good luck with the program!

stillearning
11-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Tennismom42 and all,
I recognize that my questions seem basic. The start of the tennis program is actually ďGroundbreakingĒ! The school is just beginning a DIII athletic program. Tennis is very new here and the team is literally just getting started. The courts are not yet accessible for use. Our athletic department is supportive of the program. There are no local tennis clubs to turn to for assistance or guidance (less then 40 minutes to an hour away).
I truly appreciate your assistance.
:)

OleNole
11-05-2009, 10:59 AM
As a former junior player who was recruited to by D2 and D3 teams (but, alas, not D1), this is what I would expect from a D2/D3 varsity program:
strings-some cheap synthetic for free
stringing machine available for use-stringing done by coaches or players
uniform-at least one but no more than 3 of each of the following: shorts, match jersey, practice t-shirt/jersey,
team long sleave warm-ups/sweat suit if a cold weather school

I would absolutely expect the same balls for matches and practice, and I would prefer new balls as often as possible for practice.
I would NOT expect things like racquets, shoes and socks, (over)grips, good string (i.e. nat gut, big brands like luxilon, tecnifibre, or babolat), racquet bags, or excessive gear (the teams at my D1 school have a deal with Nike, I would not expect this at lower levels).
Many companies offer discount packages to college players; I would hope my coach would be able to provide me with up-to-date contact information for the reps.

Hope this helps.

OleNole
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
There are no local tennis clubs to turn to for assistance or guidance (less then 40 minutes to an hour away).

Sounds like a cop out. If you're not willing to or can't make the drive, call or email the Director of Tennis of a bunch of clubs.
Also, I assume you've played tennis before. Why not contact your former coaches- private, highschool, college, whoever you can get a hold of- for advice?

Also, do not buy a ball machine. From the perspective of a recruit,that tells me the team isn't close (guys hit with the machine rather than eachother) or that the coach plays favorites- only 1 player can really use a machine at a time, either the coach is paying attention to him while ignoring the rest of the team, or he's ignoring the guy on the ball machine. Moreover, it's not a good use of space. You can get 4 guys hitting on one court without a ball machine. You can only get 1 guy hitting on a court with a ball machine.
If you're doing a lot of drills where you 're feeding a lot of balls, coaches and/or players should do the feeding, not a machine.

jefferson
11-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Ball machine is a complete waste for any team! They are meant for people who have no one to hit with or have court at home to practice by themselves. College level players can feed and rally together.

Next to the balls, your next most important big money item is a stringing machine. Get an upright so the players have to come to it. Rather than passing a table top around to each other!

DIII players expect to buy own sneakers, string, grips etc. However they will be happy with anything that you offer them!