PDA

View Full Version : Is eastern forehand grip for 2 handed backhand unconventional?

pow
11-04-2009, 12:08 PM
If someone hits an eastern grip forehand then hits his two handed backhand with the same grip and just slap his left hand on there, is that unconventional?

MichaelChang
11-04-2009, 12:37 PM
the common way is continental grip, so that you can slice if you choose that shot when the ball gets closer to you.

35ft6
11-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Mecir did it, but yeah, it's unusual. It depends if your two hander is powered by the right hand, assuming you're right handed, or left hand. Some people think of it as a left handed forehand, whereas I think Agassi approached it more like a right handed.... um... backhand.

Cloud Atlas
11-04-2009, 01:16 PM
To MichaelChang. I don't agree that the common way to hit it is with continental. That's a very flat shot. I think most would use a standard eastern backhand grip, and an eastern forehand grip for the non-dominant hand. Obviously there are variations on this, but I wouldn't have thought conti would be the common way.

Bungalo Bill
11-04-2009, 01:53 PM
If someone hits an eastern grip forehand then hits his two handed backhand with the same grip and just slap his left hand on there, is that unconventional?

The most popular way to hit a twohander is with a Eastern forehand grip for the top hand and a Continental grip for the backhand. The other one you mentioned is simply less common not unconventional.

SystemicAnomaly
11-04-2009, 01:56 PM
I believe that Connors hit with 2FH grips. But then his shots were fairly flat.

To MichaelChang. I don't agree that the common way to hit it is with continental. That's a very flat shot. I think most would use a standard eastern backhand grip, and an eastern forehand grip for the non-dominant hand. Obviously there are variations on this, but I wouldn't have thought conti would be the common way.

No, MC is correct. The conti grip does appear to be the most popular grip for the lower (near the butt) hand. It does not result in a flat shot. A majority of 2-handers get the spin & power from the upper (near the throat) hand, which is usually a modified Eastern or a SW grip, I believe. The conti grip on the lower hand "allows" the upper hand more freedom -- it allows the upper hand to do more with spin.

MichaelChang
11-04-2009, 04:07 PM

There are variations. It is not strict. When I learnt tennis years ago it was taught this way, it is pretty common. See B.B's post above.

As for the left hand (if you are right handers), nowadays it is taught to grip it with Semi-western. Because it is taught to be hit as a left-hand forehand. So semi-western becomes easy for spins. However when I learnt it it was taught to be eastern grip for the left hand. Things change but both will work as players get used to it.

SystemicAnomaly
11-04-2009, 04:52 PM
^ Yes, this is pretty much what I said above. BB's post beat mine by a couple of minutes, but I went into a bit more detail.

MichaelChang
11-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Yes sorry didn't see yours before I posted. I guess you already covered it.

Cloud Atlas
11-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Consider me corrected.
Things must have changed a bit since I was learning. My coach would always tell us to use an eastern backhand grip for the dominant hand. I have a 1hb now, but imagine I'd hit a bit too flat with a conti. Just what I'm used to I guess.

Cloud Atlas
11-04-2009, 08:35 PM
As for the left hand (if you are right handers), nowadays it is taught to grip it with Semi-western. Because it is taught to be hit as a left-hand forehand. So semi-western becomes easy for spins.

So you're saying that the grip that is taught now is continental on the dominant hand and semi western on the non dominant hand? That would be extremely awkward for me I think. I think it would be pretty difficult to get added spin with a semiwestern non dominant hand if your dominant hand was on conti. You'd either be tilting your right wrist over to a funny angle, or opening up your left handed semi western, which decreases spin anyway. And if it was truly being taught as a "left handed forehand", as you say, the left hand would be on the bottom.

Falloutjr
11-04-2009, 08:51 PM
So you're saying that the grip that is taught now is continental on the dominant hand and semi western on the non dominant hand? That would be extremely awkward for me I think. I think it would be pretty difficult to get added spin with a semiwestern non dominant hand if your dominant hand was on conti. You'd either be tilting your right wrist over to a funny angle, or opening up your left handed semi western, which decreases spin anyway. And if it was truly being taught as a "left handed forehand", as you say, the left hand would be on the bottom.

News flash: hitting 2 handed backhands is awkward :P join the good side! =]

Cloud Atlas
11-04-2009, 08:55 PM
News flash: hitting 2 handed backhands is awkward :P join the good side! =]

lol. Already have. :) Swapped when I was about 20. Now 29.

Falloutjr
11-04-2009, 08:59 PM
lol. Already have. :) Swapped when I was about 20. Now 29.

Good. The world needs more one-handers.

Bungalo Bill
11-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Consider me corrected.
Things must have changed a bit since I was learning. My coach would always tell us to use an eastern backhand grip for the dominant hand. I have a 1hb now, but imagine I'd hit a bit too flat with a conti. Just what I'm used to I guess.

Cloud, you aren't really wrong.

The Eastern backhand for the bottomhand is also popular. Perhaps I should tame my use of the words "most popular". The combinations that are popular are semi-western or eastern forehand for tophand and eastern backhand or continental for the bottom-hand.

Eastern/Eastern is less common and usually produces a chicken wing look when they swing (both elbows protrude out).

MichaelChang
11-05-2009, 04:46 AM
That would be extremely awkward for me I think.
but very comfortable/natural for many others.

And if it was truly being taught as a "left handed forehand", as you say, the left hand would be on the bottom.
I guess we are not on the same page...

SystemicAnomaly
11-05-2009, 06:08 AM

This is not really true. It is not awkward at all for most to use a conti on the lower hand and a modified Eastern or SW on the upper hand. I hesitate to use dominant and & non-dominant in this context. With this grip combination, the normally dominant hand takes on a non-dominant role while the other (normally non-dom hand) takes on a dominant role for many players even tho' it is on the upper part of the grip.

The mechanics of such a 2-handed BH is very much like a lefty FH. It is not necessary for the left hand (assuming a righty player) to be on the bottom to take on the dominant role. Also, having the upper hand with a SW grip rather than an Eastern would tend to produce more spin, not less.

Note, however, that not all players will have their left hand take on a dominant role for the 2-hander -- a few will still have the right hand take th dominant role, even with the grip combinations, I've talked about. I would think that players who use an Eastern BH grip on the lower hand, would tend to have this hand in the dominant role. I, personally, find this grip awkward for the 2-hander.

Cloud Atlas
11-05-2009, 12:23 PM
but very comfortable/natural for many others.

I guess we are not on the same page...

I guess not. I checked a few slo mo backhands on youtube. Safin, Agassi, JC Ferrero. And none of them use conti for the right hand and semi for left hand. I just find it difficult to believe that a coach would teach someone that combination. Conti, eastern forehand I could believe. And the double hander is still clearly more of a natural backhand action, given the right hand is on the bottom of the racquet. It can't be considered a natural left handed forehand (assuming a right hander here) when the left hand is so far up the grip. Just my opinion. We'll have to just disagree on this one.

Cloud Atlas
11-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Also, having the upper hand with a SW grip rather than an Eastern would tend to produce more spin, not less.

Obviously this is usually the case, but if you have a conti bottom hand then this hand is on a very strange angle if you keep the racquet head it it's usual position for semi forehand. Similarly, if you try to keep you bottom hand out of this strange position, then you naturally end up opening up your semi forehand grip. Grab your racquet and try swinging with this combo. Surely you can see what I mean. To use a more extreme example, place you bottom hand conti, and your upper hand full western. Then you'll know what I mean, but obviously the semi is just not this exaggerated. But the principle is the same.

ttsupra98
11-23-2009, 07:47 PM
it is a little bit difficult at first, if you're not careful you can hit it out a lot........its the grip i use. Some higher balls can get a little annoying to hit