PDA

View Full Version : Tall players' follow through lower?

BMC9670
11-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I've noticed that many tall professional players' follow through is lower than shorter players - more like wrap around the body than over the shoulder.

Is this simply due to their height or more a function of the type of shot they are hitting - ie: more flat as opposed to topspin?

GuyClinch
11-04-2009, 02:42 PM
^^^ I don't see that trend. I think maybe it was a few particular players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYvyQicMRoM

Looks to me that Del Potro finishes are higher then Fed's alot of the time. He still uses a WW but its finish is often a little higher then say Roddick's IMHO.

LeeD
11-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Modern tall players still hit with extreme topspin, so followthru really high just like their shorter counterparts.
But some tall pros use more eastern grips, recieve balls lower in their strikezone than shorter players, tend to hit flatter and more MPH's, going for more, so a lower followthru is the natural result.
Big tall guys don't care to rally endlessly to you shorter tykes, so they hit more MPH going for more angles and sidelines. More MPH means lower followthru and flatter shots.

Djokovicfan4life
11-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Modern tall players still hit with extreme topspin, so followthru really high just like their shorter counterparts.
But some tall pros use more eastern grips, recieve balls lower in their strikezone than shorter players, tend to hit flatter and more MPH's, going for more, so a lower followthru is the natural result.
Big tall guys don't care to rally endlessly to you shorter tykes, so they hit more MPH going for more angles and sidelines. More MPH means lower followthru and flatter shots.

Actually you have it backwards. A flatter shot will yield a higher finish, usually around the shoulder area, while a heavy topspin shot will produce a waist high finish or similar.

GuyClinch
11-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't believe you can pinpoint topspin amounts just from the finish. You can hit a WW shot without a ton of topspin - Fed does.

LeeD
11-05-2009, 07:44 AM
I AM backwards, I'm lefty but shoot right handed, slingshot left, bow and arrow right.
WW with a low finish still is high at the point after ball strike. So somewhere in the WW followthru, the rackethead is high.
Most taller players hit flatter than shorter players, so swing plane is flatter, usually resulting in lower followthru.
AmandaCoetzer always followthrued really high.
Taller players have such long arms and stroke that if they followtrued as high, they'd be following thru while the ball is coming back to them.