PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of grommets? Mpro 1 98

mauricem
11-04-2009, 02:23 PM
How many grommet sets would I need if I plan on keeping the same frames for a few years?

Ive used the nblade 98 for last 3 years and the grommets are still fine but am changing to Fischer mpro1 98 and am concerned grommets may not be available down the track.

I play about 10-15 hours per week 70% on (artificial grass) astroturf and 30% on hardcourts.

I do serve and volley a bit and collect the court surface digging out low volleys a few times per match.

Restring every 8 weeks on average.

Frames are Fischer Mpro 1 98s strung in low 50s.

I know the simple answer is buy a few sets now but Id really like to know how long is a reasonable life expectancy for grommets.

Valjean
11-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately, the USRSA has found that they vary by manufacturer and even model. And then we're even talking absent any significant racquet abuse. The range I have found is six months to two years, more.

Richie Rich
11-05-2009, 09:40 AM
i usually replace the grommets because the bumper has worn through. the actual string grommets are still in good shape most of the time.

but i do keep 2 or 3 sets of grommets/bumpers just so i have some if they are stopped being made

jim e
11-05-2009, 04:04 PM
but i do keep 2 or 3 sets of grommets/bumpers just so i have some if they are stopped being made

Thats sound advise, as in time, almost every grommet set will eventually be discontinued, and yet manufactures are reluctant to tell you which new grommet sets that they have would fit the older racquets, as there are cross compatabilities. Too bad no one ever made a chart of cross references on what newer grommet sets do fit the older ones no longer avail.
Help from these boards helped me get the proper grommet set for a racquet that TW told me was no longer avail. so posters here even knows more on certain topics than the TW staff. It says a lot about this great site!!