PDA

View Full Version : Which Strings for a Youtek

bjazzman
11-04-2009, 08:46 PM
haven't quite narrowed down which youtek yet but it will be between the radical, radical mp, speed pro, speed mp 18x20 and 16x19

i've read the reviews on these strings and they look good for spin players like me. which ones will work best with the head racquets?

Babolat Pro Hurricane 18
Gamma Rough
Luxilon Big Banger Ace 18
Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 16L
Luxilon Big Banger TiMO 17

callen3615
11-04-2009, 08:50 PM
How bout you pic a racquet first. That would be much easier.

bjazzman
11-04-2009, 09:18 PM
i haven't picked the racquet yet and what are youtek strings? i haven't found those yet on the tw head strings page

i based my list on the reviews since they said overall feel with touch shots like slice came easy and had more bite with those particular strings.

just curious if anyone has played a youtek with those strings

downs_chris
11-05-2009, 05:38 AM
pro hurricane ='s meh...luxilon ='s harsh on your arm...never tried the gamma rough...i would keep doing some more research! MSV, Signum Pro, Topspin -- soo much better...in my opinion...

alidisperanza
11-05-2009, 08:52 AM
i think Head recommends Youtek string...

What purpose does this serve...Really?

I'd cut the Pro hurricane out entirely. If you're going with 18g Ace 18 has a much much better feel. Alu Rough is a great over-all string.

Anyways, I'm currently tweaking the yt speed mp 18x19. I'm finding I like full poly much more than poly/synth jobs. Again, I'm still tweaking and playing with set-ups but I found a full bed of Spiky shark at 63 much more agreeable than MSV HEx/ Razor Spin at 62/60...Wierd.

My next tries will be (in no particular order)
X-life Hybrid
Signum Tornado -VERY excited for this
MSV/ N.vy
MSV/Natural-may try the hyperion instead if I like it
Last restort- my standard Kevlar/AluRough

retlod
11-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I'd cut the Pro hurricane out entirely. If you're going with 18g Ace 18 has a much much better feel. Alu Rough is a great over-all string.

Agreed. I thought Alu Rough, a 16L (1.25 mm) had about as much bite as a 1.22 mm string like TiMo 17. If it's bite you're looking for, though, go as thin as you can without breakage. For reference, BB Ace is 1.12 mm. People say that Rough goes dead after a few hours, but that doesn't bother me. I'd also put a good word in for Tecnifibre Black Code, which I'm currently enjoying in my YOUTEK Speeds.

bjazzman
11-05-2009, 08:32 PM
yeah im not a big hitter and im wondering if these strings wouldn't be an advantage for spin production if i don't have the power to bring.

also the store im going to get the racquet from only carries the following brands:

babolat
dunlop
gamma
head
luxilon
prince
wilson

so finding a spin friendly string from the list to match with the youtek's is my goal

im a 3.5 player who has a better backand(1hbh slice) than my forehand(actually mainly slice)

i really like the feel of the youtek's but want to maximize the spin potential without the harm of possibly tennis elbow

kashgotmoney
11-05-2009, 08:49 PM
What purpose does this serve...Really?

Anyways, I'm currently tweaking the yt speed mp 18x19. I'm finding I like full poly much more than poly/synth jobs. Again, I'm still tweaking and playing with set-ups but I found a full bed of Spiky shark at 63 much more agreeable than MSV HEx/ Razor Spin at 62/60...Wierd.

My next tries will be (in no particular order)
X-life Hybrid
Signum Tornado -VERY excited for this
MSV/ N.vy
MSV/Natural-may try the hyperion instead if I like it
Last restort- my standard Kevlar/AluRough

Dont be. black code is way superior to it

alidisperanza
11-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Dont be. black code is way superior to it

Won't be able to say till I've tried it. Black code and Tornado are two pretty different concepts though...

ahile02
11-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I tried out a full PHT 17g stringbed on my Speed Pro's when I first got them, and it was murder on my arm, and very uncomfortable. I have a hybrid of BB Rough on the mains and NRG2 on the crosses and it's very comfortable, yet crisp feeling.

bjazzman
11-06-2009, 07:39 PM
im leaning more towards the luxilon ace and timo's

anyone have this string with their youtek?

DownTheLine
11-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Tons of people around here like Head Sonic Pro.

ManuGinobili
11-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Yea the Sonic Pro on the Speed MP 16x19 is a good combo... I'm able to just rip shots across the court. It's not great in the spin department, but soft,so you don't feel the crazy vibration like ALU. However I'm at the 7th/8th hour and it seemed dead... serves and backhands going wildd.
Topspin Cyberflash at 55 pounds is the best on the racket so far for me.

Power Player
11-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Topspin Cyberflash may be the way I go on my radical pro. I see they have 15 gauge now, and that is awesome. I will probably get that.

Luxilon on a Radical is an awesome combo. Probably the best bet if you can afford restringing every 6 hours.

I agree about the Sonic Pro. It dies and is still comfortable, but your game drops significantly. It is a great string in a Head racquet, but it costs too much and does not deliver like the Cyberflash.