PDA

View Full Version : Which player is the most intimidating to play against?

Leelord337
11-04-2009, 10:10 PM
so i was having this discussion w/my friend 'n we were talking about this...which player is the most intimidating to play? I picked tsonga but karlovic was a close 2nd, and i picked roddick as 3rd

MajinX
11-04-2009, 10:23 PM
tsonga isnt intimidating to play against since hes quite inconsistent, just hit him hard when hes having alot of UE and when hes on fire just hold ur service games and play it safe. That way you should be able to hold most of ur games and when hes off you can break him once per set or in the tiebreak to win.

Leelord337
11-04-2009, 10:24 PM
to me he is, he just rips those forehands so hard, and is just big 'n strong, 'n can hits his serve in the high 130s consistently,

IvanAndreevich
11-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Intimidating? I think it would have to be Nadal. He imposes his athleticism on you.

kaibaNYC06
11-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Serena.
She might actually kill you!! :???:

CMM
11-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Federer, unfortunately.

Agassifan
11-04-2009, 10:42 PM
fed. No question. There was a time when most people would give up before stepping on court.

Leelord337
11-04-2009, 10:50 PM
i've faced a guy in 4.5s that was all serve once, (this huge nigerian guy that looked like a ufc fighter) and when it hit the fence off the serve bounce it sounded like somebody kicking the fence as hard as they could...he said he was clocked in the mid 120s...i couldn't imagine facing a 140mph serve, karlovic would scare me with that serve...as these serves were really difficult just to block back into play.

Crispix
11-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Monfils, big and black.
thats scary enough.

Just joking lol, probably federer when in god mode

Leelord337
11-04-2009, 11:03 PM
^^^for some reason i wouldn't be afraid to play fed or rafa.(more excited to play either of them than anything)..maybe rafa more than fed, but I would be more afraid of big shots by players, like tsongas huge forehands, karlovic's huge serves, or even safin's backhand....rafa 'n fed have big weapons but not sound barrier breaking power like some guys have

namelessone
11-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Depends who you are and on what surface you are playing on. I certainly wouldn't want to play Fed on fast surfaces nor Nadal on clay and slow HC. If you are a grinder type of player power hitter will be your nightmare on HC(usually). If you are a power hitter a grinder will be your nightmare on clay(usually).

But I think for the average player in the ATP neither Fed or Rafa is very intimidating because they know they don't really have a chance.It's other guys that give them the fits. There were some ATP vids on youtube where they asked player who are their 3 toughest opponents besides the top 2 players and some players gave very interesting answers. As always it's about matchups. Look how santoro drove safin crazy even when safin actually gave a **** about tennis. But santoro will get murdered by Fed or Nadal.

I can tell you one player they all hate to play against: KARLOVIC. I remember when fed lost to him never getting broken and when Nadal won against him in queens 7-6,6-7,7-6 never breaking his serve. If the guy's serve is on,the fate of the game rests on you breaking him in the crucial moments,usually in the tiebreak. Ivo certainly isn't breaking on your serve so you need split second reactions to break on his or mini-break in the tie. This is frustrating for any player and very intimidating at the same time. Imagine watching serves go by all day long and knowing there is not much you can do about it.

Anaconda
11-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Nadal doesn't look intimidating, he just looks stupid running around the court from side to side on the warm up.

Telepatic
11-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Fed and Karlovic imo.

kOaMaster
11-05-2009, 02:31 AM
I would not be scared of playing federer, but honored. I would enjoy everything :)
karlovic with his "ugly" serve abilities and tsonga (don't know why exactly) have something scared around them

Gorecki
11-05-2009, 02:57 AM
zivojinovic anyone???

Anaconda
11-05-2009, 03:00 AM
I wouldn't get scared against Federer because i would have nothing to lose. I would embrace it and go out with a bang.

Karlovic,roddick,gonzalez(he has a temper)........

Andres
11-05-2009, 03:17 AM
It has to be Karlovic.

Gustavo Kuerten
11-05-2009, 03:57 AM
Koellerer when in his psycho mode.

jelle v
11-05-2009, 04:55 AM
I voted roddick. I would be scared as hell that he would serve straight through me.. :shock:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-05-2009, 04:59 AM
IN Slams, without a doubt Federer! The guy who walks into CC with him knows that if i do the match of my life it could be an OK score.
IN MS-claycourt-tourneys, Yeah probably Nadal although Soderling showed everyone how to bring it on the biggest of stages.

EikelBeiter
11-05-2009, 06:13 AM
definitely Nadal, when he sprints to the baseline after the toss, you know you are in for a tough match

boredone3456
11-05-2009, 06:25 AM
On Grass- Fed, Karlovic (that serve and the fact he is insanely tall and sticks to the net like glue sometimes would probably rattle me), and Roddick

Clay- Nadal

Overall, probably Fed because he can pull off most any shot from anywhere and even his weaknesses are not easily exploitable unless you yourself are really on your game to do it.

Nuke
11-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I think a lot of the gals are imtimidated more by Serena than any of the men are by Fed or Nadal.

Leelord337
11-05-2009, 08:48 PM
^^^thats so true, maybe even venus?

prattle128
11-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Uhh... Where the heck is Verdasco on that list?!!

Insane forehand
Great backhand
Huge serve (when he chooses to really flatten it out)
About the size of an ox

Leelord337
11-05-2009, 09:58 PM
^^^yano! i wish i could put him on there

Knightmace
11-06-2009, 12:14 AM
getting hit by a karlovic scares me!

I'd be honored to play Federer, not intimidated

eagle
11-06-2009, 04:19 AM
Any of the Open rated players and any touring pro, men and women.

A club player like myself with no natural athletic ability and not tennis-trained since 5 years old just won't match up. :(

As Clint Eastwood said in one of his Dirty Harry movies, "A man's gotta to know his own limitations". And I don't want anyone to tell me "You are a legend in your own mind". :)

r,
eagle

mandy01
11-06-2009, 05:20 AM
On Grass- Fed, Karlovic (that serve and the fact he is insanely tall and sticks to the net like glue sometimes would probably rattle me), and Roddick

Clay- Nadal

Overall, probably Fed because he can pull off most any shot from anywhere and even his weaknesses are not easily exploitable unless you yourself are really on your game to do it.
Agreed :D well said.

P_Agony
11-06-2009, 05:33 AM
I would have to say Nadal. His intensity, plus his playing style makes things extremley frustrating for his opponent.

Serendipitous
11-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Gilles Simon ??? ????????

pame
11-06-2009, 06:07 AM
I'd vote Karlovic both yes AND no. "No" because in any case, I'd probably run from the baseline (and the court) when he was about to serve to make sure I didn't get hit.

pete92
11-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Lleyton Hewitt (especially in prime)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-06-2009, 07:15 AM

Insane forehand
Great backhand
About the size of an ox
I doubt there is any player who is intimidated by Verdasco

garmang
11-06-2009, 08:15 AM
They all have awesome games and weapons, but I don't really think that monfils is intimidating. I could see him making you want to throw your racquet because he gets to balls that should be winners and keeps the point going. I vote nadal and tsonga. try hitting a ball by nadal. watch his awesome angles on both wings and that sick topspin. Tsonga's game is big all over the place and he's big!

coloskier
11-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I guess I would rephrase the question: Which player is the most intimidating when he is playing at his best (god mode)? When Fed is playing at his best, he would be the most intimidating because you know that no matter what you throw at him, it is going to be returned for a winner. Even when Nadal is in God Mode, you know that he isn't going to beat you with his serve. Even when Karlovic is in God Mode with his serve, you know that you can beat him in a tie breaker, same with Roddick. Murray doesn't have a God Mode, same with Djokovic. When Fed is in God Mode, his serve, his return, everything is a weapon.

bladepdb
11-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I think Nadal. Federer's a close second though.

Obviously Fed's an intimidating opponent...reasons have been mentioned here.

Nadal I think is a little more intimidating because of his unorthodox style. With Fed, for instance, you know the type of game he's going to bring; he's just going to outplay you with it. With Nadal, however, you have to constantly make adjustments because he constantly makes adjustments as a match progresses. I.e. he'll go from hitting spinny to flat as he sees fit. Fed does this on a lesser extreme, so I think the disorienting factor posed by Nadal is more intimdating.

Warriorroger
11-09-2009, 09:23 AM
A Santoro or Nadal type of player, today I played against one at my club. It is so difficult to win a point against that type of player. I play all the risky shots and thye come back from all over the court. A Federer type of player you know you can get blown away by the talent, but he makes mistakes.

grafselesfan
11-09-2009, 09:24 AM
I think Serena and Nadal are the most intimidating to play against.

shaysrebelII
11-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I think Nadal would be the most frustrating to play, but for intimidating, I'd say Karlovic.

Vyse
11-09-2009, 09:54 AM
federer cuz he always win or nadal because of his look and that he will work his butt off every point no matter what

kishnabe
11-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Nadal there is a strategy to beat him on clay. Nadal is like borg on clay. Pannata beat borg by serve and volley. Nadal was beat by soderling serve and groundstrokes. So ya with agood serve and volley you can beat him. Since he play with topspin, it is much easier to volley at the net. The arch allows for a easier chip. This is just a hypothesis so dont flame me. The most intimidating would me Marat when he breaks him racquet. It can get into people mind i believe.

Blinkism
11-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Depends on what you mean, OP.

If I didn't follow pro tennis but I had to play one of these guys (so basically, their reputation does not precede them), I'd say the most athletic looking guys with the fiercest attitudes would be the most intimidating - Nadal, Tsonga, Monfils, Gonzalez, and even Roddick

If we're talking about most intimidating for someone on tour to play, it's probably Federer or Nadal

Tsonga#1fan
11-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I'll have to say Tsonga because lets face it, you just don't ever which "Jo-Jo" is going to show up, the one who can be as talented as anyone out there and beat anyone, or the guy who might only show up for a set and seem as though he other places he'd rather be.

Gugafan
11-09-2009, 05:28 PM
The way Gonzalez grunts after hitting them huge forehands, is enough to intimidate anyone. See RG this year (against Murray) and Aus Open 07 vs Nadal.

When the forehand is on, there is not much many of the top players can do.

T1000
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM

Insane forehand
Great backhand
About the size of an ox

I'm really intimidated by a guy who was serving 90mph against Fed and played one good match in his whole life. Yea, that's real scary

T1000
11-09-2009, 05:37 PM
I think Serena and Nadal are the most intimidating to play against.

No one is intimidated by a guy who takes 5 hours in between points. They fall asleep before they can get scared

bladepdb
11-09-2009, 06:15 PM
God.

10 chars.

raiden031
11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Probably Karlovic. He is one of those players that all the top players know they should beat, but he's so hard to break serve, so it puts added pressure on the other player's serve.

Fed and Nadal on the otherhand would be like a learning experience, you have nothing to lose because they are the best of the best.

Noveson
11-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Federer would be intimidating if you were trying to win haha. As for me right now, Nadal I think, just walking onto the court knowing he is going to try harder than you and is much much fitter than you and wont give up would suck.

LiveForever
11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Federer IMO. Players pretty much know that if Federer is even close to his best, they are gonna get blown off the court by ridiculous shot making.

President of Serve/Volley
11-09-2009, 06:44 PM
If we include the retired players: Pete Sampras without a doubt.

TennisNinja
11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Skill wise, Federer would be super scary, but looking at Serena would hurt my eyes.

vbranis
11-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Karlovic wouldn't intimidate me, I feel I can win more games against him than anyone else on that list. On my serve, of course.

Nadal would intimidate me. No big shots, but his consistency, speed, and monster topspin would just wear me out... Beating him is a huge mountain to climb, and even winning a game would be tough. I have a feeling I would get tired after the first few games.

Leelord337
11-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Insane forehand
Great backhand
About the size of an ox

he looks pretty darn intimidating here, lol

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/9AD18CEE88FA4240B37B2CF9A7BF39A9.ashx?w=148&h=198

Baikalic
11-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Safin looks pretty intimidating on the court.

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2009+Shanghai+ATP+Masters+1000+Day+4+NESWgxsoY6kl. jpg
http://thetennistimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/marat-safin.jpg

maddogz32
11-10-2009, 01:37 PM
i would be more intimidated by roddick because of his serve (i wouldnt want to be near that thing)