PDA

View Full Version : Poly for a USTA 3.5? What do you recommend?

levy1
11-05-2009, 03:29 AM
I love a stiff racquet and other then one tennis elbow bout after 35 years of never having a problem but I bought a Wilson 6.1 95 strung high I have never had any arm problems so arm problem is not the problem. I also use about 20 grams of lead tape and my racquets weight around 13-13.5 oz. I am a agressive USTA 3.5 61 young years.

I am now trying new stiff racquets RA 67-71 strung at the bottom of tension. If I like the bottom range can I enhance the stiff feel by going some kind of poly for better bite and a harder feel?
If so, which poly or poly setup would you recommend?

BigT
11-05-2009, 06:31 AM
At 3.5, there would not be any benefits for you to use poly. If you like a stiffer feel, just string your favorite synthetic gut tight.

Toad
11-05-2009, 06:31 AM
I am now trying new stiff racquets RA 67-71 strung at the bottom of tension. If I like the bottom range can I enhance the stiff feel by going some kind of poly for better bite and a harder feel?
If so, which poly or poly setup would you recommend?

If the stiff feel is what you like, and you want to get more bite and a harder feel, the best set up for you would probably be what I use...18 ga. Ashaway Kevlar mains/any 17 or 18 ga syn gut crosses. Might want to start with the Ashaway Crossfire 18 although the syn. gut that comes prepackaged is a little mushy and loses tension to fast for my liking...I go with 17 ga. Gosen OG Micro for the cross. Be warned though, you will really have to generate your own power with this set up...strung at a low tension though, it can't be beat in my opinion, and it probably won't cause arm problems.

If you are dead set on a poly, I have tried and liked Pro Supex Blue Gear crossed with any syn gut....it had a very stiff feel to it, but it just didn't last in my racket long enough to justify the cost so I can't really say about how well it holds tension.

ClubHoUno
11-05-2009, 08:41 AM
For a 61 year old 3.5, I would recommend a hybrid of VS 16 natural gut mains strung 62 lbs and a Signum Hyperion copoly string in the crosses strung at 58, since you like it stiff.

This hybrid will play awesome for you - if you just love poly, then twist it around and use Hyperion mains @ 58 lbs and Babolat Tonic+ 16 nat gut crosses @ 62 lbs.

You can save a bit on the nat gut, when used as a cross string, since you get the feel from the main string. You still will get the comfort and power from the Tonic+ cross string.

Try this hybrid and of you break it too fast or it feels too soft, install 32-48 Babolat elastocross string savers around the swetspot and upper half of the string bed, and it will tighted and stiffen the string bed up and minimize string movement and at the same time prolong the life of the hybrid.

alidisperanza
11-05-2009, 08:42 AM
It depends on your style of play. If you're a spinny 3.5 then you'll be fine. But if your strokes are relatively flat it won't do you much except provide a stiffer bed. Remember, you have to have the swing speed to play with poly.

alidisperanza
11-05-2009, 08:42 AM
ClubHoUno makes a great suggestion.

sliceboy33
11-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Which version of the K6.1 are you using?

If its the 16x19 Id recommend the 17 gauge. If its the 18x20 Id go with 17L or even the 18 (unless youre a frequent string breaker).

Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour feels stiffer, if thats what youre after (though any kind of poly will feel stiffer compared to synth gut/nylon even at the lowest tension) The Kirschbaun Pro Line no.II is cheaper and is the way to go if you opt for the thinner gauges. You can find both on TW.

After trying both on my Prestige Mids I found out that I much prefer the softer and thinner Kirschbaun - mainly due to the confort factor and ball pocketing which is kind of hard to achive with polys on a 18x20 midsize (which tend to feel stiff as boards).

As for spin potential Id say that the Babolat bites a bit better on topspun strokes while on the thinner 18 gauge Kirschbaun the balls tend to slide a bit more providing some extra rpms on slices, dropshots and underspun 'junk shots'. Id love to try out the new Babolat Revenge, but the Kirschbaun feels great and I have no more wrist pain, so why mess with whats working?

Wait for 24 hours after stringing the racquets to let the strings set at their tension. You can try full poly and check how your arm/wrist feels after. Hybrid is more confortable but the less durable option there is (those polys will saw through the synths like a knife through butter).

High Roller
11-05-2009, 09:21 AM
A few more... Topspin Cyber Blue 17L; Genesis Black Magic; Pro Supex Big Ace Micro. All are from the latest generation co-poly. All are soft and arm-friendly. These strings have great spin potential with a god balance of control and power. The feel of these types of strings may surprise you most of all.