PDA

View Full Version : one on one doubles

11-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Anyone out there playing one on one doubles, promoted by Ed Krass among others?

rk_sports
11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Is that what some say aussie style?
We do that when one of the dbls partners had too much to drink previous nite

11-05-2009, 01:29 PM
The one I'm asking about is where they serve and play out points cross court. They are extending the svc center line back to the baseline and actually playing whole tourneys in this fashion. The idea is that it promotes more all court skills and is good prep for college dubs.

Bud
11-05-2009, 01:32 PM
The one I'm asking about is where they serve and play out points cross court. They are extending the svc center line back to the baseline and actually playing whole tourneys in this fashion. The idea is that it promotes more all court skills and is good prep for college dubs.

I have no clue what you're referring to. Have a link to explain it properly?

11-05-2009, 01:37 PM

No need to be rude.
here is your link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdD-JAWUNbc

Bud
11-05-2009, 01:48 PM

No need to be rude.
here is your link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdD-JAWUNbc

How was that rude?

rk_sports
11-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Ah! love it! .. thanks for the link..

11-05-2009, 01:54 PM
How was that rude?

sorry if it was not your intent, but when you said "a link to explain it properly" it seemed as though my quite accurate description was not proper. Maybe you meant explained it more fully?
anyway sorry if no insult was intended.

11-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Ah! love it! .. thanks for the link..

you are welcome,
it's a cool variation of the game isn't it?
I've played lots of points this way, but not a tourney or even a set.
taping in the added line really helps with calls.

BMC9670
11-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Looks to be good to work on S/V, dipping, and lobbing. The name is confusing, though. Cross-court singles would be better.

rk_sports
11-05-2009, 02:16 PM
you are welcome,
it's a cool variation of the game isn't it?
I've played lots of points this way, but not a tourney or even a set.
taping in the added line really helps with calls.

Indeed it is! Makes it a little more fun..maybe even a little easier as you dont have to cover the full court. I love S&V and also makes it extra interesting as it will force the opponent to do S&V :)

Looks to be good to work on S/V, dipping, and lobbing. The name is confusing, though. Cross-court singles would be better.
Gotta agree.. I thought its some variation of doubles, which in fact its a variation of singles.

And yeah this will kill the DTL stroke ;)

11-05-2009, 02:34 PM

I think it is one on one dubs cause it uses doubles lines on the outside. Not sure about that though.
And to prepare for doubles was the original intent.
I've been to Ed's camps and they are very active and give good college coach exposure. My son came away with at least 2 full offers and several partial ones.
And NO, Coach Krass is not paying me.

LeeD
11-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Being a casual doubles player myself, I often ask the three other's to warm up CROSSCOURT. Everyone is usually amenable, makes for good practice.
And hitting with someone, I'll often suggest the same. Good for a few dozen shots anyways, then it loses it's charm.]
Practice the shots you hit most often. Always a good idea.

JavierLW
11-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Anyone out there playing one on one doubles, promoted by Ed Krass among others?

Ive done that a few times, it's actually a lot of fun.

What I found it was good for is when one player gets to the net before the other they have a huge advantage, so it's good practice for split stepping, serving and volleying, returning and volleying, etc...

Blake0
11-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I've played this, great game, and fun for practicing and drilling..but for playing real matches/tournaments like this..i'm not in for it.

fuzz nation
11-05-2009, 03:14 PM
One on one doubles can be great for the high school kids I coach when a pair of doubles players with no opponents handy need something constructive to do on their own. Sometimes we'll have them try playing with certain rules such as only earning points with a volley or an overhead.

This might not seem like such a useful game at first glance, but it's incredible when these kids play their regular matches and hit shots right to the net person over and over instead of hitting cross-court. Using these sorts of games can be great for changing their court awareness.

I'd say this is also worth a try for other players that want to put a new twist into their old game. Even though the shots are more of a doubles nature than singles, I think it's a lot of fun because you make all the shots on your side of the net instead of sharing the load with a partner.

ubermeyer
11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
it looks really fun for a game/drill, but i would hate to play real matches like this

federer_FREAK
11-05-2009, 03:46 PM
it looks really fun for a game/drill, but i would hate to play real matches like this

Yea seriously. The video said that some college teams subbed that in for singles. I'd be ****ed.

J011yroger
11-05-2009, 07:56 PM
I thought about it at length last summer, and decided against practicing it.

I came to the conclusion that it would be more of a detriment than an aid to playing singles or dubs.

J

Geezer Guy
11-05-2009, 08:19 PM
It's a good way to practice doubles if you only have two people.

Ken Honecker
11-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Am I the only one that wonders why play S/V half court when you can use the whole court? This looks like something for people with limited range, not young college level players. That said it is probably a good drill and might even be a lot of fun in short bursts but it isn't real tennis.

EikelBeiter
11-06-2009, 12:13 AM
How can that guy call himself the inventor of that game? That drill is so old.

And it should stay what it is, a good drill for doubles practise.

Cindysphinx
11-06-2009, 03:19 AM
I do this drill all the time. Like, all the time.

I think it would be pointless to have it as a variant on the game. Actual doubles is more exciting than this, and actual singles is more exciting than this. So why do this?

11-06-2009, 04:09 AM
How can that guy call himself the inventor of that game? That drill is so old.

And it should stay what it is, a good drill for doubles practice.

Does he claim to have invented it? I didn't see that anywhere.
I do see him listed as the founder of "one on one doubles" an event that he promotes around the country.
I don't understand this sensitivity that is showing up against people who associate themselves with updated versions of something they seek to promote.

EikelBeiter
11-06-2009, 04:47 AM
I do see him listed as the founder of "one on one doubles" an event that he promotes around the country.
I don't understand this sensitivity that is showing up against people who associate themselves with updated versions of something they seek to promote.

Yeah you are right, he didn't say he invented it. He is listed as the founder.

I just think this is a ridiculous idea as a match concept. It is a great drill for doubles practise, and it should stay that way.

11-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Yeah you are right, he didn't say he invented it. He is listed as the founder.

I just think this is a ridiculous idea as a match concept. It is a great drill for doubles practise, and it should stay that way.

Yes, that's cool, but like any other game, those who like it can play it, and those who don't, surely don't have to.

If there are only 2 of us and we are more dubs players or too tired to run singles, this allows us to actually play games, and work on our doubles some.
But to each his own, for sure.

BajeDuane
11-06-2009, 05:41 AM
I agree this is a great drill, especially if your opponent is very consistent. It forces you to be creative to win the point. It is not as easy to overpower someone.
I think I will have my guys and girls do this next week actually, lol

Burt Turkoglu
11-06-2009, 11:10 AM
....when you only have 2 ppl and want to work on dubs, I think it's great practice.....as server, I point which way I want the server to return....crosscourt or up the line....that way I get to practice normal and aussie (or poaching) formations....the returner can work on crosscourt, down the line returns and down the line lobs. A great way to work on the most important shots in the game of doubles.....serves, returns and transitions to the net.......Burt

chico9166
11-06-2009, 11:20 AM
It's obviously great for doubles work. But i also like it for singles, in that it condenses the court, and makes a player win points more through consistency, and attrition.

Ken Honecker
11-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Ah but a real game would be "Whites" where every ball has to either hit a line or bank off the tape on the top of the net. That way you not only get to utilize all your speed you get to showcase your exact placement. Now I don't have the footwork to play this any more but back in the day...

Lex
11-07-2009, 03:34 AM
Great for drills....not sure how a "match" would be though.

I do cross court drills like this with my dubs partner. It gets you grooved in the cross court return game!!

Cindysphinx
11-07-2009, 06:33 AM

Claiming that you are the "founder" of something means you invented it or started it. If whatever-it-is existed before you came along, you are not the founder. It is self-aggrandizement if it isn't true.

Why do people get upset by this? Well, I would love to claim I am the founder of the Internet. Or that I wrote the song "Yellow Submarine." I wouldn't, because it would be a lie.

If this guy wants to claim he is the founder of the annual event "One on One Doubles," there's no problem, because he is. If he wants to claim he is the founder of the drill or the concept, then some of us would get a little tetchy about this.

SplitStepper
11-07-2009, 06:51 AM
This is a great drill. I use it in clinics all the time with special rules (one bounce, feeders approach, etc.) It certainly helps with consistancy. Also, DTL is a great way to play this too. DTL is also a little safer in clinics when you have two points ongoing.

11-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Claiming that you are the "founder" of something means you invented it or started it. If whatever-it-is existed before you came along, you are not the founder. It is self-aggrandizement if it isn't true.

Why do people get upset by this? Well, I would love to claim I am the founder of the Internet. Or that I wrote the song "Yellow Submarine." I wouldn't, because it would be a lie.

If this guy wants to claim he is the founder of the annual event "One on One Doubles," there's no problem, because he is. If he wants to claim he is the founder of the drill or the concept, then some of us would get a little tetchy about this.

thank you for clarifying this. Wouldn't want the "credit police" on the forum here to get touchy about this, and hijack yet another thread into "he said, she said". Thank you for your opinion on what founder means.