PDA

View Full Version : Indoor lighting and returns

stormholloway
11-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Played at the new USTA indoor facility tonight and got my *** kicked. Couldn't put a return in play to save my life. Anyone have trouble with indoor lighting playing tricks on your eyes. The lighting system seems top notch but everything on court kinda looks.... surreal.

Thoughts, criticisms, blather?

Bud
11-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Played at the new USTA indoor facility tonight and got my *** kicked. Couldn't put a return in play to save my life. Anyone have trouble with indoor lighting playing tricks on your eyes. The lighting system seems top notch but everything on court kinda looks.... surreal.

I have similar trouble with night time play. Sometimes everything just looks weird under artificial light... and sometimes it doesn't bother me at all.

Tilden
11-05-2009, 09:25 PM
The indoor lighting is decieving because it emits something like 10% black light which can effect your depth perception, atleast thats true with indoor courts around where Im from.

stormholloway
11-05-2009, 09:35 PM
That's it. My depth perception was whack. I was handing over games to the server like hot cakes on a breakfast platter.

GuyClinch
11-05-2009, 09:41 PM
I love those courts. I tried to get a court there last week and it was all booked up. That rubber floor is sweet. I don't see any problems with the lighting though. It's better then most indoor lighting. I think your eyes will get used to it.

Someone told me they are going to build a dome in Central Park. I don't know if that's true but its exciting news for NYC tennis players.

stormholloway
11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
I've been playing tennis during the day on red clay for a year so I guess adjusting is necessary.

It was some awful tennis. The facility just plain rocks though; makes the old place look like an outhouse.

LeeD
11-06-2009, 10:54 AM
I played at the indoor CowPalace event in SF in the old daze of yore. Couldn't see worth beans, so resorted to volley gripped chip returns only. Couldn't figure out how some top players could just swing out on every return. Overheads were helpless (for me). Lost to RussellSimpson one year and JoaroSoares the next.
And I hate night tennis because I can't see well enough to get my timing.

jms007
11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
The only time I have problems with lights is when I have to return a slow, high-bouncing ball from the baseline.

jrod
11-06-2009, 12:24 PM

Storm - Adjusting to indoor lighting can take time. In the league matches we play around Boston, the variation in quality of lighting across facilities is huge. My club has perhaps the best indoor lighting of any club participating in the league. Some of the clubs are so dark it's damn near impossible to see the ball until it crosses the net. Depth perception is compromised in poorly lit facilities. Our home matches provide equal opportunity for either the home or visiting team to win, whereas our away matches the home team always enjoys an advantage in at least the first set.

Adjusting to the lighting conditions is the key. I recommend you go early and get accustomed to the conditions prior to your match. If there is any way you can manage 30 minutes of hitting prior to playing you'll be better off.

Bungalo Bill
11-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Yes, I see at times shadows. Getting old. Eyes aren't what they used to be.

ttbrowne
11-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Indoor is great for me. But I struggled last nite in an outdoor night match. The lighting was not too bad but their green screen was not dark enuf and you could clearly see the court behind us. Very distracting. I missed two volleys outright...no frame or anything.

Ripper014
11-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I have similar trouble with night time play. Sometimes everything just looks weird under artificial light... and sometimes it doesn't bother me at all.

I love night time play under the lights... I think it has something to do with the cool night air and that I always get a good sweat up.

There is nothing like natural light... I find that indoors I just need to remind myself to stay on the ball longer. What I struggle more with is that sometimes I will be on a court were the server will toss the ball where the background is different, say a structural beam that is painted a different color.

Actually what might help you... is something I used to do playing in a dark bubble... warmup with sunglasses on. When you take them off everything seems much brighter.

SlapChop
11-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I just started playing in the lights since time change it is an adjustment for sure.

SystemicAnomaly
11-06-2009, 02:47 PM

Have only played at a couple of places with indoor tennis courts.

However, I've played badminton in quite a lot of different gyms. Often, it will take quite a while to get accustomed to a particular lighting & background. I recall one gym where I mis-hit (framed) the shuttle 20x consecutively before I got comfortable with the background, lighting and shadows. The next 3 or 4 times that I played at that gym, I would mis-hit just a few shots at the start. After that hellish honeymoon period, I had no further problems with that particular gym.

LuckyR
11-06-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree. The three lighting combos: indoor, outdoor day and outdoor night are about a different as different surfaces. They take getting used to.

stormholloway
11-06-2009, 05:46 PM
You'd think they could make a lighting system that simulated natural light better. I was a mess out there. Now all I'm left with is a bagel, a bread stick, a sore back, and a deflated ego.

Luckily I went in with low expectations.

Blake0
11-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I play better under artificial light :). Always have.

stormholloway
11-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I'd also like to add that I had a god-awful hangover for this match. Might have played a role.

fuzz nation
11-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Hate it indoors myself. All I can pretty much do is hit block returns, but I'm borderline helpless pretty much every week with my doubles crew. The only times I've been okay have been when I already played outside on the same day and really got the wheels turning. Don't feel like I can get anywhere near the same read on the ball as I can outside.

After the fall half of my indoor season, I'm probably going to tell my group that I'm leaving. I've been with these guys for years, but I can never play my reasonable best under the lights and I only get more rusty through the winter when playing only once a week. Can't say I enjoy it anymore.

defrule
11-09-2009, 07:13 AM
The indoor lighting is decieving because it emits something like 10% black light which can effect your depth perception, atleast thats true with indoor courts around where Im from.

What is black light?

DangerDan
11-09-2009, 07:34 AM
I'd also like to add that I had a god-awful hangover for this match. Might have played a role.

Ah, there's your problem! Much better to be drunk than hung over.

jrod
11-09-2009, 07:36 AM
What is black light?

I suspect he is refering to ultra-violet rays. The statement that 10% is black light is a little ambiguous...10% of what, the spectral energy?

I agree it takes getting used to but I'm not clear what this poster is driving at...