PDA

View Full Version : State of Mind

crash1929
11-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks in part to this tennis board, I am playing very very well.

I've been thinking that playing good tennis is a state of mind. Confident, loose, athletic base.....ala federer. Notice that the two best players in history sampras and fed both brought a similar state of mind to the court.

Arnold Palmer said that when he was playing- his round did not start on the first tee. It didn't even start on the practice range, nor upon arriving at the club. He said his round started when he woke up and got out of bed. He would start to get in the right state of mind. Relaxed! Loose!

Federer once told me the best way to improve is, "to have confidence and a good coach".

Just thought I would share. Hope this makes sense to everyone!

11-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks in part to this tennis board, I am playing very very well.

I've been thinking that playing good tennis is a state of mind. Confident, loose, athletic base.....ala federer. Notice that the two best players in history sampras and fed both brought a similar state of mind to the court.

Arnold Palmer said that when he was playing- his round did not start on the first tee. It didn't even start on the practice range, nor upon arriving at the club. He said his round started when he woke up and got out of bed. He would start to get in the right state of mind. Relaxed! Loose!

Federer once told me the best way to improve is, "to have confidence and a good coach".

Just thought I would share. Hope this makes sense to everyone!

Congrats! It great when you can go out and enjoy your play in that way. I hope you can hold on to the mindset consistently as you go foward.

crash1929
11-06-2009, 09:19 AM

yes its an intensly powerful thing when you can get in that right mood. its quite a challenge, too. especially if you are in a tough match or playing someone better than you. I am trying never to yell or loose my temper, too. And to always keep a good confident posture on the court. I notice when you yell or get down on yourself you tell your opponent that he has pushed your buttons and is a sign of weakness.

this video which i found on this site has been tremendously helpful!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuXiQRyN8Uc

crash1929
11-06-2009, 09:25 AM
52 whats your level? how you hitting the ball lately?

11-06-2009, 09:47 AM
52 whats your level? how you hitting the ball lately?

I've been hitting pretty well overall. I play mostly doubles and play open tournaments if I have my regular partner. We do very well in a tough area. My level is a hard question, as play with a variety of people at different levels. I didn't lose a match at High A last 2 years in mixed or men's with a variety of partners, but there are no complaints because I'm not a real big hitter. I still do well with high ranked Jrs and small college players. I believe that my shoulder separation from football days (or just age), keeps me from launching lots of big serves. If I serve big for a whole match, I have to take a day or two to recover, so I usually take it pretty easy and just move it around the box.

How about you?

crash1929
11-06-2009, 09:58 AM
It feels like I am finally making progress toward 5.0. I'm studying technique on here and other sites on the web. I'm computer rated 4.5 but have been really making a lot of progress as of late. wow if you are an open player that's really cool.

11-06-2009, 10:07 AM
It feels like I am finally making progress toward 5.0. I'm studying technique on here and other sites on the web. I'm computer rated 4.5 but have been really making a lot of progress as of late. wow if you are an open player that's really cool.

It is cool to play open, but I only do it in dubs so far. Maybe if I drop a few pounds I'll give it a go in singles, but I'm not that player that will impress you. My strengths are positioning and execution, and very few people pay much attention to that. I am lucky to have a game that translates up to any rec level though, cause that leads to a lot of fun.

halalula1234
11-08-2009, 04:32 AM
im kinda the opposite, when im relaxed i tend to play too carelessly and lazily but when im intense and fired up i play my best.

11-08-2009, 07:10 AM
im kinda the opposite, when im relaxed i tend to play too carelessly and lazily but when im intense and fired up i play my best.

I know what you mean, as it is a fine line to walk. I think when you really get down to it, I/we are really fired up, but have to tone it down to a controllable level.