PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware: Teaching Pros

tennisabroad
11-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Teaching Pros beware!

I feel strongly that this post be recognized by teaching pros worldwide.

I was introduced to an Argentinian ex-PBI teaching pro recently who did nothing but speak about PBI, it's methods, travel opportunities, glamor, glitz, and yes cult like feel. He is now teaching for a top resort in Gran Canaria, Spain (no longer with PBI or so he says) and when i applied for a teaching position with him for 3 mths he gladly brought me on board. Brought me on board from the USA that is! I am a top teaching coach with much experience in both public, private & resort sectors. He claimed he couldn't offer me a VISA but his word was good and he was eager to bring a young woman on board as part of his teaching team.
For the first time i took a risk...based on months of emails, skype conversations, and promises. I gave up my home, job, and clientele. I got an apartment where he advised, and off i went for my new teaching adventure with a supposed reputable pro. Because the PBI method takes many hours of learning, 2 hrs on court with Mr. T.N. wasn't near enough and when he immediately had me run a clinic and i didn't do the method perfectly, I was berated on court in front of clients. When I finally stood up for myself after the clinic -- he fired me. Because he could. No conversation, no professionalism, just approached me with another male employee from the resort. Yelled at me some more and drove off. Guess a female pro who had personality and asked questions wasn't what he had in mind.

Moral of the story is...as teaching pros we always want more from the teaching experience. More diversity, travel awareness, newer teaching methods, anything to expand our horizons.

But buyer beware! Make sure you know who you are dealing with...the individual -- not some fancy organization they constantly quote & stand behind. People's word truly is not always as its seems. This individual's character is noteworthy for sure!
Make sure you have the contract solidified. I'm sure with the current state of affairs this head pro is now dealing with his own corporation, he wishes he had done the right thing from the start. Not everyone tolerates bad behavior and in this case...I didn't.
tennisabroad is offline Reply With Quote

Toons
11-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Welcome to some of the shortcommings of being a tennis pro. You often work at the whim of wealthy club owners, who regularly "change the game" to suit their concept of your worth. In many cases you may work with the amazingly self centered and arrogant 'country club set', where I've seen quality pros get fired because they inadverently annoyed the wrong member (the one that didn't give hoot if that pro just got voted top for the year in their section). Or in this case, you obviously ran into the wrong ego of the twit head pro. While this is certainly not always the case, it happens far too often. Along with working to provide value to your clients, you need to pay more attention to the politics of your current chosen career path. I sincerely hope your next experience is much more positive. Just in case, always make a plan B.

dennistennis
11-16-2009, 06:39 PM
PBI= Cult
Been around this business to long and have heard to many stories

LafayetteHitter
11-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Best advice available to anyone thinking about relocating to work for someone. Find out if they are a psychotic nutcase BEFORE you move.

autumn_leaf
11-17-2009, 08:15 PM
this situation not only applies for tennis coaches but for any job.

Things you should do before taking a job, especially if you're basically giving up your current life for it:

- research the company
- meet the people in charge
- question the current employees about what their experience with the company is and look for non-verbal communication
- enter the workplace randomly (just walk in like a customer or take a random tour) and get a "feel" for what the environment is like and if it is compatible with you

good luck in your future endeavors.