PDA

View Full Version : Flat vs Spin

_maxi
11-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi. I was watching this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMNPdvQTvS0) video of Kohlschreiber backhand and paying attention to how roddick's loopy forehand helped philipp to get all those backhands in a more confortable position.

Personally I think that flat shots are just simply better. The ball reaches the other side faster, bounces less, and I think its more "effortless" to hit than a loopy shot.

Also, flat shots are more difficult to do. That is great in the long term because it's a challenge that makes you have more skills with the time.

Please vote :)

Leelord337
11-06-2009, 09:18 PM
*voted a little less spin than average* because it would penetrate through the court more, blake does this well, but its also important to use the topspin for passing shots because they dip so low

Vyse
11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
All flat is not effective. Personally, I love verising people with flat shots cuz they go to my strike zone and will usually have pace. It is quite nice. Even if you play with topspin, there will always be time to hit it flatter

jms007
11-06-2009, 09:37 PM
A mix is the best i think. Spinny for neutralizing and defending, Flat for attacking.

Migelowsky
11-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I didn't vote, it seems that if you choose one you exclude the other, and I think all of this options have different purposes .
Work the rally with spin, hit it flat to end it, depends also the surface and the opponent.

Max G.
11-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Also, flat shots are more difficult to do. That is great in the long term because it's a challenge that makes you have more skills with the time.

That's exactly why flat shots aren't as good - because they're more difficult. That's a downside, not an upside.

The name of the game is to make your opponents do hard things over and over while you do easy things over and over.

If you're voluntarily making life more difficult for yourself, you're giving your opponent a built-in advantage.

(I didn't vote. Different things for different surfaces and different situations. Also, "average" compared to who? Among top pros, even flat hitters hit with a reasonable amount of spin.)

prattle128
11-06-2009, 11:17 PM
That's exactly why flat shots aren't as good - because they're more difficult. That's a downside, not an upside.

The name of the game is to make your opponents do hard things over and over while you do easy things over and over.

If you're voluntarily making life more difficult for yourself, you're giving your opponent a built-in advantage.

(I didn't vote. Different things for different surfaces and different situations. Also, "average" compared to who? Among top pros, even flat hitters hit with a reasonable amount of spin.)

This man has got it figured out.

MuseFan
11-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Looking at the grand slam winners of recent years, heavy topspin is the name of the game(Fed, Nadal, Nole). Del Potro is a change with his flat hitting.

MuseFan
11-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Hi. I was watching this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMNPdvQTvS0) video of Kohlschreiber backhand and paying attention to how roddick's loopy forehand helped philipp to get all those backhands in a more confortable position.

Personally I think that flat shots are just simply better. The ball reaches the other side faster, bounces less, and I think its more "effortless" to hit than a loopy shot.

It's maybe more effortless to hit a high-arcing shot, but one with high pace and big spin is another deal altogether. Generating around 4000rpm is only for immortals like Fed, Nadal and Verdasco.

Cantankersore
11-07-2009, 01:50 AM
This poll is silly.

prosealster
11-07-2009, 02:27 AM
this should not be in pro player discussion...

anyway...flat shot was effective in the 90s...current condition of heavy ball, slow court needs spin for penetration....plus the players these days are so consistant, and gets every thing back, so u need spin to increase margin for error, and the current generation also hit with bigger stick and better footwork, u need some spin to increase the unpredictability of the bounce....these guys can half volley flat shot for winners all day long...

CMM
11-07-2009, 04:48 AM
Nice spin, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD0LmoC0yyY

David L
11-07-2009, 05:48 AM
Nice spin, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD0LmoC0yyY
That was a flatter shot than the one's Nadal usually hits. It was not loaded with the same spin his typical loopy forehand has. That's what the original poster is asking. Is it better to hit a harder flatter shot like this, or a slower loopier one with more top spin?

David L
11-07-2009, 05:51 AM
this should not be in pro player discussion...

anyway...flat shot was effective in the 90s...current condition of heavy ball, slow court needs spin for penetration....plus the players these days are so consistant, and gets every thing back, so u need spin to increase margin for error, and the current generation also hit with bigger stick and better footwork, u need some spin to increase the unpredictability of the bounce....these guys can half volley flat shot for winners all day long...
No they can't. This is higher risk play, even for them. Only a few players can take the ball that early with any degree of reliability.

NamRanger
11-07-2009, 09:42 AM
No they can't. This is higher risk play, even for them. Only a few players [in the history of the sport] can take the ball that early with any degree of reliability.

I fixed it to add emphasis.

David L
11-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I fixed it to add emphasis.
Yes. I actually meant in the history of the sport as well, although I didn't write it.

Gorecki
11-07-2009, 10:09 AM
delete post

quest01
11-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I'll say an average amount of spin is the best. If you hit with too much spin the ball just floats back in the court with no force behind your shots but if you hit too flat there is a high margin for error. I like it inbetween.

svijk
11-07-2009, 10:46 AM
its the biggest reason Nadal loses to the big righties with a 2bh.....his lack of a flat shot.....all his loopy forehands are returned easily

CMM
11-07-2009, 10:59 AM
its the biggest reason Nadal loses to the big righties with a 2bh.....his lack of a flat shot.....all his loopy forehands are returned easily

Sadly, you're right.:(

Fed Kennedy
11-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Delpo is 6 7. He has built-in margin on his shots. Nadal's forehand is easily returned? Wha?

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
11-07-2009, 12:05 PM
i personally think that hitting with a little more than avg spin on regular shots is better. when going on the attack, flat is better imo.
When i play my friend who hits pretty flat, i can just hit my strokes pretty easily and all the pace gets transferred back. My other friend has a lot of spin and hits with a lot of pace, but I have to put in effort because there is a lot more weight behind the shot

T1000
11-07-2009, 01:30 PM
I like a little less spin than average because I serve and volley and play an old school attacking game, but for todays game, a little more than average for normal shots and defense, and then less than average for attacking

coloskier
11-09-2009, 10:10 AM
It all depends on what kind of court you are playing on. On clay, obviously more spin is better, since a flat ball just sits up on most clay courts. But on faster courts, a flat ball is a much more penetrating shot. The last thing a player wants to see who likes to play with control and likes to take his time setting up his shot is a flat shot that skips through the court.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
If you can hit both you start to notice the right time to use certain shots.

laboule
11-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Flat ftw! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUwXW-HCI00&feature=related check the 3 consecutive forehands at around 17s.

Anaconda
11-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Most players incorporate a mixture of both flat and spin. There is no better technique.

tennis angel
11-10-2009, 07:24 AM
There is no flat shot, rather flatter shot ie: more or less rotation.

garmang
11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
A mix is the best i think. Spinny for neutralizing and defending, Flat for attacking.

I agree. Variety is the best way to go. I wouldn't want to have my opponent to see and prepare for my shots. And you want options throughout the point. Especially against all-court players.

bboy_beez
11-11-2009, 03:40 PM
you don't have it on the list, but I'd say ridiculous fast =)

that way you can swing your arm out and the force of the topspin will always keep your ball in

Love40
11-11-2009, 08:19 PM
More spin than average... what?
For recreational 4.0 players, more spin than average is very effective. Mostly, because most 4.0 players don't hit much spin. You ever play against a 4.0 that hits big, hard topspin?
The damn ball leaps off the court, dramatically increasing forward speed after the bounce. Can be very tough to time and effectively manage until you get used to it. Since this isn't "average", it's hard to get used to. Topspin doesn't have to be "loopy" and slow. It can actually be hit very hard with a 2-3 foot net clearance that aggressively bounces off the back court. Flat balls bounce lower and carry more forward speed, but they are much easier to get back into play with predictable bounce trajectory and speed.

featherlight
11-11-2009, 11:33 PM
roddick has a bad forehand approach (too much spin)

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Right. He can't hit it through the court swinging as hard as he can.

CHOcobo
11-12-2009, 05:36 PM
i need power a lot of it, but just a little more spin to get that high angle kill.

coloskier
11-12-2009, 05:37 PM
roddick has a bad forehand approach (too much spin)

Plus, he always hit a suicidal crosscourt approach, leaving himself wide open for a pass.

_maxi
11-12-2009, 06:12 PM
There is no flat shot, rather flatter shot ie: more or less rotation.
Did I make an option for flat shot?