PDA

View Full Version : Help with serving grip

TennisVet
11-07-2009, 03:43 PM
im currently using an eastern/semi-western grip for my serves, but i found out i couldnt get consistent serves. can anyone tell me some exercises with serving using the continental grip?

KenC
11-07-2009, 11:32 PM
You may want to get a few lessons from a good coach in the beginning. Its very easy to cause injuries with a bad serve. A good coach with experience in teaching the serve will make sure you advance as fast as possible without any long-lasting injuries.

paulfreda
11-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Hold a continental grip.
From the deuce court at the baseline .........
Stand with shoulder and hip line pointed to the target or to the right net post.
Toss it above your body so it would NOT land in front of you if you let it bounce.
Then swing with the racquet only in the plane made by the baseline extended to the sky
Imagine the racquet as the hand of a clock.
Try to make this "clock hand" touch all numbers from 6 to 2.
This will give you a safe slice serve.

That is a good start.

To get more spin, make the butt point to the sky on the backswing.

naylor
11-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Since you're prepared to consider a change of grip, then I suggest you consider going fractionally beyond continental, and closer to eastern backhand. It'll be a lot more useful to develop good second serve topspin and kicker serves. And once you develop a solid second serve banker, then you can crank up your first serve as hard as you dare.

LeeD
11-09-2009, 07:20 AM
As said, conti grip with slight twist towards EBH. SLIGHT.
To figure out pronation, stand against a wall and slow motion your swing until the racket SLOWLY approaches the wall. When it contacts the wall, the racket face is flat to the wall, making a flat serve.