PDA

View Full Version : what will make federer to annouce retirement

makhan10
11-08-2009, 07:52 AM
he is losing 3 set matches to djokovic and murray............ GS finals to nadal and del potro

what more he wants besides 7th wimbledon title

from a depressed fed fan

LafayetteHitter
11-08-2009, 07:55 AM
I think he's waiting for a poll on these forums to let him know it's time then he'll pull the plug.

zagor
11-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Losing his Cinncinati(the true slam)title and seeing too many "Fed should retire" threads on this forum which he reads very often to learn more about tennis from experts here and get tips on how to beat other players.

maddogz32
11-08-2009, 08:01 AM
I think he's waiting for a poll on these forums to let him know it's time then he'll pull the plug.

maybe you should make it

bluescreen
11-08-2009, 08:02 AM
a depressed fed fan? really? try being a fan of any other player, cuz relative to the rest of the field, federer is making a killing. all other players on tour would kill to have the 2009 federer had.

tudwell
11-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Oh my god, Federer just lost in the final of a tournament that only half a dozen people on this forum bothered to follow, a tournament casual fans who only watch the grand slams when they happen to flip to the right channel don't even know exists. Time to pack it up, Rog. You're finished. You'll never make it anywhere with this tennis business, but it was fun while it lasted.

Motahari
11-08-2009, 08:57 AM
It does seem like Fed is doing pretty bad lately, winning two slams, a couple master events, ranked #1 in the world. Ahhh I'd hate to have the season he had, right?

Reezy
11-08-2009, 08:58 AM
im sick of hearing fed should retire.. he won two grand slams this year.. and was in the final of all of them...ranked number 1..why would he retire? cause idiots on a tennis forum, that think they are pros, say he should retire...ya right

TennisPassion5
11-08-2009, 09:06 AM
im sick of hearing fed should retire.. he won two grand slams this year.. and was in the final of all of them...ranked number 1..why would he retire? cause idiots on a tennis forum, that think they are pros, say he should retire...ya right

As sensible a post as I've read in awhile....OP, get lost troll.

flyinghippos101
11-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah what a crap year, two slams, two finals and now he loses at a ATP 500, guess it's time to call it quits...

Bjorkman & Johnny Mac
11-08-2009, 10:02 AM
I dount Fed cares a whole lot about non slam events as he used to. It will be when he loses his chance to win more slams and increase his slam count will be the day he quits.

GasquetGOAT
11-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I have to say, losing an 500 event final in his hometown was one of the biggest blows he had all year. Look what happened to Nadal after getting humiliated in front of the whole Madrid crowd... its the worst thing that can happen to a tennis player....

Ledigs
11-08-2009, 10:29 AM
he is losing 3 set matches to djokovic and murray............ GS finals to nadal and del potro

from a depressed fed fan

This should be in pro match results. I read it and pretty much knew who won before tc played it. Thanks idiot

dh003i
11-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Federer losing the AO was disappointing to me, but by the FO & Wimbledon, it has already been a highlight year for Federer, and the USO loss was only moderately disappointing. Yea, he could have won both, probably should have, but that happens.

I'm surprised your making a big deal out of Federer losing vs. Djokovic in the final of his hometown tournament. I'm sure he's a little disappointed, but he got to the final, and Djokovic just played better overall. Congrats to Djokovic. But it isn't really that significant. First, it isn't an important tournament, even if it has emotional significance to Federer. Second, Djokovic is really a very good player.

It was more of a big deal when Nadal lost to Davydenko at the Shanghai Master final, but it wasn't completely unexpected, and it still wasn't that big of a deal.

Federer is well-beyond his days of caring so much about the minor tournaments and putting so much into them that he destroys everyone and loses only a few times a year. And of course, he also isn't going to be able to be that consistent anymore. But what matters is how well he does overall, ranking, and slam results. It's been a great year for Federer this year, without question.

li0scc0
11-08-2009, 10:58 AM
By the same logic, Nadal should retire. Only one slam, and all those bad losses....time to retire, Rafa.

And Djokovic should retire.
And Murray.
And....

Cesc Fabregas
11-08-2009, 11:02 AM
He'll retire at the Aussie Open when Nadal beats him in the final...

Telepatic
11-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Damn, only 2 grand slams this year, RUN FOREST!

-depressed fed fan

federerfanatic
11-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I am not worried. He doesnt even care about the smaller tournaments anymore and barely tries in them. The funny thing is he still wins or makes the finals in some of them even not really caring much about them. The slams are the only things he really tries for, and other than a once in awhile occurence like Del Potro's U.S Open final only Nadal is a real threat to beat him in those.

jman
11-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Fed's still has a few things on the to do list b4 he retires.
He's yet to win MS Monte Carlo, MS Rome and MS Paris.
Win Davis Cup.
Get Gold in Olympics singles.
Win more than 7 Wimbledons,
and win the calendar slam (think 2009 was his best chance).
When all these are done, he'll retire.

MuseFan
11-08-2009, 11:59 AM
When he goes an entire year w/o winning a slam, then he'll retire.

P_Agony
11-08-2009, 12:01 PM

from a depressed fed fan

Federer won 2 slams this season, 2 MS titles, has dominating records over Djokovic and Del Potro, and has beaten Nadal this year as well as Murray. Sure, I'm disappointed by his recent loss, but being depressed is a bit too much. You can't expect Federer to win everything in his age.

MuseFan
11-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Federer will win Paris and London to salvage this disappointing season.

BreakPoint
11-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Um...that's what you said would happen at the '09 US Open. :oops:

Sartorius
11-08-2009, 12:42 PM
what will make federer to annouce retirement

About 100 more of these pointless threads.

TennisPassion5
11-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I have to say, losing an 500 event final in his hometown was one of the biggest blows he had all year. Look what happened to Nadal after getting humiliated in front of the whole Madrid crowd... its the worst thing that can happen to a tennis player....

Not at all....often times, players feel an immense amount of pressure when playing in front of their home crowd, and this is all to add to the stresses added of his faulty forehand today doesn't help at all.

Blake0
11-08-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm guessing he's basically focusing on GS's now and trying to stretch his career as much as he can. I doubt he'll quit in the next year or 2. Maybe after he's in his 30s he'll start to think about retiring.

pound cat
11-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Winning the 50 million euro lottery.

LafayetteHitter
11-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Considering Nadal is hurt more often than not I doubt Nadal will force him to retire. The Nadal excuse bus spends all their time hoping Fed will retire so the fanboys will finally have a chance at seeing their almighty beloved king at number 1 again. Good luck with that.

kishnabe
11-08-2009, 02:56 PM
He will retire, The day nadal win the US open.

BreakPoint
11-08-2009, 05:13 PM
He will retire, The day nadal win the US open.
Will never happen because Nadal will retire before Federer does, not that Nadal will ever win the US Open anyway. :shock:

TheFifthSet
11-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Will never happen because Nadal will retire before Federer does, not that Nadal will ever win the US Open anyway. :shock:

What are you, a prophet? I don't think many people expected Nadal to win the AO, much less beat Federer. Or for that matter, beat Federer five and four straight times. Or three straight times at the slams. It's not as if winning the US Open would be his most surprising accomplishment.

Seriously man, we get it. You hate Nadal because he has beaten Federer 178363968 times and you're bitter about it. WE GET IT.

NamRanger
11-08-2009, 05:40 PM
What are you, a prophet? I don't think many people expected Nadal to win the AO, much less beat Federer. Or for that matter, beat Federer five and four straight times. Or three straight times at the slams. It's not as if winning the US Open would be his most surprising accomplishment.

Seriously man, we get it. You hate Nadal because he has beaten Federer 178363968 times and you're bitter about it. WE GET IT.

I think the chances of winning the USO are vastly much lower than him reattaining world #1 (and those chances are already slim). His movement advantage is negated at the USO, his spin is negated, and fast HCs are generally most ATP player's best surface, meaning nearly everyone that has a hot day can take out Nadal.

Serendipitous
11-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Federer will have octuplets and retire.

TheFifthSet
11-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I think the chances of winning the USO are vastly much lower than him reattaining world #1 (and those chances are already slim). His movement advantage is negated at the USO, his spin is negated, and fast HCs are generally most ATP player's best surface, meaning nearly everyone that has a hot day can take out Nadal.

Agree with everything you said. The opposite is also true though -- Nadal CAN win the US Open if he evades a big hitter or a guy who can challenge him. His '08 draw en route to the semi's was one of the easiest I've seen in a while, so too was his '06 Wimby draw. If all went according to plan, Nadal could've won both of those slams playing only 1-2 great matches (I'm not saying he could have, beating Federer at Wimby that year would've been an extraordinarily tough task, but you get my point.) If he had beaten Murray who knows, Federer may have crapped himself like he often does playing Nadal and Nadal may have won that year. Nadal has beaten Federer in Dubai, a lightning fast court, has beaten Roddick on a fast court a few times, has beaten Djokovic at the Olympics, IW, TMC, has owned Murray on HC for the most part . . . stranger things have happened than Nadal winning the US Open.

To me, if he avoids a Delpo, Berdych, Soderling et. al, his chances are pretty decent.

BreakPoint
11-08-2009, 07:07 PM
What are you, a prophet?
Yes, I am. I was the only one to predict that Nadal would lose at the French Open this year two weeks before it started. :)

I don't think many people expected Nadal to win the AO, much less beat Federer. Or for that matter, beat Federer five and four straight times. Or three straight times at the slams.
It's not as if winning the US Open would be his most surprising accomplishment.
Yes, it would. Why? Because unlike Federer, there's at least a dozen guys that can beat Nadal on the fast hardcourts of the U.S. Open. To name just a few, we've got Del Potro, Murray, Federer, Djokovic, Davydenko, Cilic, Soderling, Roddick, Tsonga, Ferrer, Gonzalez, Blake, Simon, Berdych, Youznhy, Ljubicic, etc., etc.

Correction, you're off by 178363955 times.

And, no, it has nothing to with Federer. It has to do with Nadal getting steamrolled on fast hardcourts because of how he plays.

TheTruth
11-08-2009, 11:14 PM
He's still only 28. He didn't play that bad, Djokovic just stayed focused throughout and put pressure on Fed.

Retirement talk is woefully premature,

but lol'ing at people who still find a way to compare Fed and Nadal in a Federer retirement thread.

Give it up, folks, they're not twins!

Federer_pilon
11-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Federer will have octuplets and retire.

He will have his own show: Roger and Mirka plus 8

zapvor
11-09-2009, 08:20 AM
i wish federer visits this message board....love to see his reaction to all the comments lol

jrepac
11-09-2009, 08:22 AM
U've got 2 B kidding....

He can play for many more years to come...

just because he doesn't win every tourney he plays in, does not mean he cannot be competitive

it is really up to him...if he is enjoying it, keep playing....

SirGounder
11-09-2009, 08:32 AM
I think he'll retire when he and his wife have triplets.

Actually, I could see him playing for a while longer. He seems to enjoy the game enough, doesn't get injured a lot, and has the skills to continue competing. As long as his ego can handle not being number one, he can play for a while.

groundbreaker
11-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Federer will retire when he's ready to retire.

TheMusicLover
11-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I've read somewhere recently that Federer will consider retirement when the time comes it's obvious that he's no longer a CANDIDATE to win GS titles (which doesn't equal actually winning them ;)). That could take a while, regarding the fact that he most possibly will hang on in there in the Top 10 for quite a few years to come... and even outside of that Top 10, he might still be a candidate, as were Agassi, Sampras, etc.

makenakai
11-16-2009, 01:14 AM
when he cannot make GS semi finals for a whole year and lost decisively in them.

Knightmace
11-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Federer should retire when he loses 10 matches in a row.

JoshDragon
11-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Federer, should retire, when Pete Sampras is able to beat him in Halo 2.

eagle
11-16-2009, 08:19 PM
He'll retire when he finds that his impressive list of accomplishments pale in comparison to the knowledge and wisdom of experts on this board.

r,
ealge

Blinkism
11-16-2009, 08:21 PM
He'll retire when he finds that his impressive list of accomplishments pale in comparison to the knowledge and wisdom of experts on this board.

r,
ealge

He might be overwhelmed by Nadal_Freak's speed analysis and Drakulie's RF wristband reviews.

I know I am.

MuseFan
11-16-2009, 11:20 PM
When he fails to make the 2nd week of a slam 2x in a row.

TheNatural
11-17-2009, 05:09 AM
He will retire after he returns from the Olympics with no singles medal for the 4th time.

Cesc Fabregas
11-17-2009, 05:14 AM
He will retire after he returns from the Olympics with no singles medal for the 4th time.

True, Federer's gold medal in doubles doesn't mean alot because he is a singles player. Nadal is the olympic champion.

Anaconda
11-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Probably when he loses to Nadal again. He can't risk losing more GS matches against Nadal.