PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic #1 next year?

Frankauc
11-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I think so. He's playing awesome tennis right now. And he's rarely injured seriouslty. And also, he's very good on all the surfaces.

Fed's getting old and has no more things to prove
Nadal's always injured
Murray too
Del Porto should be the other one to watch next year too..

Vyse
11-08-2009, 11:30 AM
nah, not good enough in majors especially as of late

edmondsm
11-08-2009, 11:34 AM
He hasn't brought the goods when it's counted in a while. He and Murray, they need to be able to get past Roddick at a slam before they are going to be #1.

Bjorkman & Johnny Mac
11-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Agreed with the poster above me. For Djoker to be number 1 is going to have to bring it when it matters most. He hasnt thus far in quite a long time

Frankauc
11-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I agree he didnt performed very well for his talent in the past slams. But i mean, RIGHT NOW, he's playing awesome tennis and i think next year he will win at least 1 slam. Rolland Garos, and USO or AO.

bluetrain4
11-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I actually think his physical limitations in best of 5 matches over 2 weeks is "real." I always used to think he was overplaying his injuries/fatigue, or it was just an on-the-spot incident, that wouldn't resurface. But, he really does tend to struggle in longer matches and moreso as a Slam gets into the second week.

So, no to No. 1., but I still think he's good enough to win another Slam.

MuseFan
11-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Yet when it's major time, Fed steps it up big time and has bagged 2 Masters this year. He hardly plays ATP 250/500 events at all.

Feņa14
11-08-2009, 11:58 AM
He beats Federer and now he's going to be number 1?

Murray was beating Federer for fun this time last year, it doesn't make you number 1.

There is a chance of him getting to 2 at some point but I can't see him getting the Major that would launch him to the top.

P_Agony
11-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Djokovic didn't even reach a slam final this year.

Max G.
11-08-2009, 12:43 PM
C'mon, he beats Federer in one event and suddenly he's the next #1?

All of the guys just behind Federer - Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro - have beaten him. And on bigger stages than a 500 tournament, too.

He's certainly in the running for #1. He's very consistent, and if he could raise his game in majors by just one notch he could get there. But so could others. Murray's in the same boat, very consistent but not good enough in Majors. Del Potro's the other way around, he raised his game for a Major but has many more early losses than the Murray/Djoko. Nadal has both the consistency and the top play, but gets injured. And, of course, Federer is right now the #1.

Blinkism
11-08-2009, 12:44 PM
It's not likely he'll be #1, but anything is possible.

He's not defending much at the French Open and he can improve on his AO and Wimby results.

And picking up a Master's title doesn't seem so unlikely after today.

Djokovicfan4life
11-08-2009, 12:48 PM
All aboard the band wagon!

Just watch, if he loses early in Paris everyone will be saying he should retire.

Cesc Fabregas
11-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Djokovic is going to OWN federer next year.

edberg505
11-08-2009, 12:51 PM

LMAO, boy you really hate Federer don't you. I guess once he starts owning Federer then Djokovic can be Federer's main rival.

cuddles26
11-08-2009, 12:59 PM

You really are the clown like you admit you are. Bow down to king cuddles.

GustafsonFanatic
11-08-2009, 01:00 PM
C'mon, he beats Federer in one event and suddenly he's the next #1?

All of the guys just behind Federer - Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro - have beaten him. And on bigger stages than a 500 tournament, too.

He's certainly in the running for #1. He's very consistent, and if he could raise his game in majors by just one notch he could get there. But so could others. Murray's in the same boat, very consistent but not good enough in Majors. Del Potro's the other way around, he raised his game for a Major but has many more early losses than the Murray/Djoko. Nadal has both the consistency and the top play, but gets injured. And, of course, Federer is right now the #1.

Del Potro never beat Djokovic.

On topic, Djokovic will not be No.1 next year.

Cup8489
11-08-2009, 01:04 PM
You really are the clown like you admit you are. Bow down to king cuddles.

LOL at serena being the greatest in history. LOL

cuddles26
11-08-2009, 01:20 PM
LOL at serena being the greatest in history. LOL

If Serena at her best was put up against Graf or Navratilova at their best outside of clay, Serena wins. End of story. By the way Graf in her final year on tour when she was still champion and runner up of her final 2 slams got her *** kicked in by a baby pre-prime Serena who was nowhere near the player she would be from 2000-2009 yet.

Serendipitous
11-08-2009, 01:22 PM
It's a possiblity...

LiveForever
11-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I hear that one a lot. Doesnt bother me because Federer always takes care of Djokovic at the big tournaments. 3 beatings at the USO while Djokovic only beat Federer once at GS.

THESEXPISTOL
11-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Take it easy pal.. The guy won a ATP500 event and now 'he's the next big thing'?
You cannot be serious. The guy is a choker at the slams and is constantly overplayed in the big moments.

Max G.
11-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Del Potro never beat Djokovic.

On topic, Djokovic will not be No.1 next year.

Sorry, I meant Federer. Everyone was making a big deal of how Djokovic had beaten Federer, and I was pointing out that Del Potro, Murray, and Nadal had ALSO beaten Federer in the past, indicating that by that logic, there would be four #1s next year!

Ripster
11-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't think he'll be #1 but he's a threat at all the Grand Slams. I think he has a good shot at the Australian.

Frankauc
11-08-2009, 02:08 PM
where did you guys see that i say Djoker will be #1 because he beated fed today? I mean... everyone can beat Fed, especially in the top 5, and Simon. I never said last year that Murray was going to be #1 because he beated fed so many times..

i'm saying it because i think he is improving his game and he is playing awesome right now. He wasnt quite there at the beggining of 2009 but i have the felling he will be ready for the AO physically. He cant keep losing because of bad conditionning.

He's got some of the best, if not the best combinaison of spin and power in his strokes in the entire game.

IvanAndreevich
11-08-2009, 02:10 PM
where did you guys see that i say Djoker will be #1 because he beated fed today?

i'm saying it because i think he is improving his game and he is playing awesome right now. He wasnt quite there at the beggining of 2009 but i have the felling he will be ready for the AO physically. He cant keep losing because of bad conditionning.

He's got some of the best, if not the best combinaison of spin and power in his strokes in the entire game.

Someone plays a match with 10 winners and 22 UE's and you say they are playing awesome? In his previous match he had to save 3 MPs against Stepanek? Wow you have some low standards.

Frankauc
11-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Someone plays a match with 10 winners and 22 UE's and you say they are playing awesome? In his previous match he had to save 3 MPs against Stepanek? Wow you have some low standards.

Kudos to him saving 3 matchs points against a player like stepanek who can beat everyone when he's on. And tennis is a game of errors, it's just a matter of who makes the points when it counts the most. Making more errors than UE dosent mean you play bad, not at all. You cant play bad and win a final against fed in basel

oy vey
11-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Don't know about #1 but he'll have a lot better 2010 than 2009.

Gugafan
11-08-2009, 04:30 PM
He is probably the second best HC player based on form, so there is no reason why he cant contend at the Aus or US Open. Agreed by his standards, he has had a poor run in the GS this year but he is certainly not a GS novice compared to Murray. I think his Aus Open win and in doing so beating Federer is often overlooked, certainly no easy feat. Along with consistent SF and F runs at the US Open the past few years(only to be stopped by Federer).

With Nadal looking out of sorts after injury and Murray unproven at GS, I would actually put Djokovic ahead of them as a legimite contender for the no 1 spot next year.

kishnabe
11-08-2009, 04:41 PM
It;s funny how people jump the gun here!

IvanAndreevich
11-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Kudos to him saving 3 matchs points against a player like stepanek who can beat everyone when he's on. And tennis is a game of errors, it's just a matter of who makes the points when it counts the most. Making more errors than UE dosent mean you play bad, not at all. You cant play bad and win a final against fed in basel

Yes you absolutely can play poorly and still win. Did you even watch this amazing match?

On, and Stepanek making an UE is not really Djokovic "saving" BPs. Saving is hitting a winner or forcing an error. Or defending like crazy.

fruitytennis1
11-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Umm no................................................ .................................................. ...........

NamRanger
11-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes you absolutely can play poorly and still win. Did you even watch this amazing match?

On, and Stepanek making an UE is not really Djokovic "saving" BPs. Saving is hitting a winner or forcing an error. Or defending like crazy.

A good example of this was the Federer and Ferrer match in Cincinnati. Hahahahahahahahahaha....... absolutely hilarious.

Frankauc
11-08-2009, 06:14 PM

i repeat, tennis is a game of errors. It's not Djokovic's problem if Stepanek made UEs on BP or MP, he was just the one who didnt make them on very important points.

And djokovic didnt played bad at all. Give credit to stepanek, he dosent give his opponents any rythm.

And by the way, im not talknin about these specific 2 matches. Im talking about the genral form djoker is in right now, His game is a lot better than at the biginning of the year

Kick Serve 14
11-08-2009, 06:18 PM
nope... djokovic will never be number 1...

Winners or Errors
11-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Surprised at the little mention of the career GS retirement slam he is working on. Seriously, I'd love to see Djokovic win, but I'm not sure if whatever physical issues he battled last year that forced his retirement at the AO are still there. If he has overcome them through training, I believe he has the game to be number 1. Only time will tell.

Dean
11-08-2009, 07:16 PM
I think it's possible but unlikely. It seems that he and Murray do well in small tourney's which in the end count for little. Most only remember what happens in the Grand Slams so Federer and Nadal will get all the credit.

I know he won in Australia but that just seems like an eternity ago and was just basically a blip or interruption in the on going Federer show.

Also he continues to be viewed as 'soft' for all those grand slam retirements, sighting blisters or exhaustion or it was too hot(you're a professional athlete you nob... deal with it) as well as complaining that the crowd was against him so he may as well give up.. or some other lame excuse. lol

Agassifan
11-08-2009, 07:19 PM

Andy Murray OWNED federer this year. Fed made 4 slam finals and won two. Last i heard, andy murray went to one semi.

Agassifan
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Djokovic can do serious damage, but he is not a very good best of 5 player. But we said the same about Delpo and look what he did. Never know. In terms of "talent" the list is

1. Fed (but he is definitely on the wane)
2. Djoker
3. Murray
4. Nadal

but Fed and Nadal know what to do with it in big time tournaments.

Halba
11-09-2009, 12:07 AM
if he can max out his game more and go for broke like in late 2007 to early 2008, and in 2008 masters cup, he can get it, provided he bags a HC slam and a few MS and MM. but i don't think he is tactically a great grass player nor does he have the physical ability on a clay court. those are 50% of the slams. his style of play is superb on a hard court however.

Bud
11-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Djokovic can do serious damage, but he is not a very good best of 5 player. But we said the same about Delpo and look what he did. Never know. In terms of "talent" the list is

1. Fed (but he is definitely on the wane)
2. Djoker
3. Murray
4. Nadal

but Fed and Nadal know what to do with it in big time tournaments.

Nadal has a positive H2H against each of those guys you claim are more talented than him :oops:

Nadal 13-7 Federer (65%)
Nadal 14-5 Djokovic (74%)
Nadal 7-2 Murray (78%)

Please think before posting in the future.

chaddles
11-09-2009, 12:32 AM
No, no, no and no. Djokovic is not good enough to pass Nadal and Fed next year. His first serve is an absolute joke and not good enough to get him there next year.

And as for Fed.... I don't think he really couldn't care about tournaments this time of the year. If you wonder why he is looking a bit fatigued, he has 2 newborn kids for gods sake!!! He is only 28 and still moves exceptionally well - even if he dropped a step or 2 that would bring him back close to the top. Can't believe people are on his back about age.

zagor
11-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Good grief,I like Nole's game(and yes I'm also from Serbia)but this forum is such bandwagon jumping it's ridiculous.He needs to do better at the big tourneys(slams especiall)before we consider him a validate candidate for #1.

I do like that he seemed to have played more agressive recently which is what brough him his biggest success in the past and the fact that working with his new fitness coach(he hired him at the beginning of clay season I think)has definitely paid off,he really seems more fitter than ever although I still think he should cut down the # of tourneys a bit and try to peak for the big ones.

The-Champ
11-09-2009, 03:37 AM
Djokovic? Hell no! Murray will kill him.

Djumex
11-09-2009, 04:12 AM
It's possible if he continues to work hard... like he does!

His game is not complete yet.....If he had half of the net rushing instinct that Roger....or for example, Stepanek showed in their last match.... he would be very very hard to beat.....he needs to learn to end points at the net more often.
His baseline game is good enough for every surface....he just needs to add that "net element" to end the points he basicaly, already, won with his gorundstrokes.....yet...he so often stays behind for another insideout....and another....and another..........
That is why good defenders like murray or nadal give him so much trouble.

anyone agree?

grafselesfan
11-09-2009, 04:18 AM
It's possible if he continues to work hard... like he does!

His game is not complete yet.....If he had half of the net rushing instinct that Roger....or for example, Stepanek showed in their last match.... he would be very very hard to beat.....he needs to learn to end points at the net more often.
His baseline game is good enough for every surface....he just needs to add that "net element" to end the points he basicaly, already, won with his gorundstrokes.....yet...he so often stays behind for another insideout....and another....and another..........
That is why good defenders like murray or nadal give him so much trouble.

anyone agree?

I sort of agree although the net game isnt that important these days. It still would be nice to see him improve that aspect though.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 04:36 AM
I think so. He's playing awesome tennis right now. And he's rarely injured seriouslty. And also, he's very good on all the surfaces.

Nadal's always injured
Murray too
Just because he won in Basel??
LOL...
Im not even gonna comment on this any further

Djumex
11-09-2009, 04:44 AM
LOL...

Plz don't then! There is not a single post in this thread that implies that, but you just have to be a troll!

It's obvious you are incapable of commenting anything regarding Djokovic objectively.
Why do you watch tennis anyway?

Arailic
11-09-2009, 04:49 AM
I am a Nole fan but would not jump to conclusions that he will get to #1 just yet! He still has two more tournaments to end the year and than next year will be a different story I guess............ He must improve his GS performance next year with finals and maybe a GS to even be taken in consideration for the 1st spot in the future. Time will tell......

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 04:51 AM
Plz don't then! There is not a single post in this thread that implies that, but you just have to be a troll!

It's obvious you are incapable of commenting anything regarding Djokovic objectively.
Why do you watch tennis anyway?
Who put a coin in you??
Ny understanding about tennis is a lot better than yours, trust me.

sh@de
11-09-2009, 05:03 AM
I sort of agree although the net game isnt that important these days. It still would be nice to see him improve that aspect though.

The point is that if he improved his net game he'd be able to avoid making mistakes at the baseline, so in this respect, net play is important.

Frankauc
11-09-2009, 05:46 AM
LOL...

no. you have a reading comprehension problem

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 06:41 AM
no. you have a reading comprehension problem

Your problem is a lot bigger than reading comprehension.

Puma
11-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Murray=next #1

Frankauc
11-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Your problem is a lot bigger than reading comprehension.

may i ask you what's the problem of thinking Djokovic will be #1 next year? He's #3 right now and he's playing very well and dosent have too much points to defend.

All-rounder
11-09-2009, 09:44 AM
no

10 char

rocket
11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
may i ask you what's the problem of thinking Djokovic will be #1 next year? He's #3 right now and he's playing very well and dosent have too much points to defend.

Simple, Djoko has so far failed to consolidate his AO win with another slam. Anyone can have an amazing run & win a slam title (Roddick, Del Potro), but the trick lies in the "rinse & repeat".

Unlike the WTA, one cannot become world's #1 by winning little ATP titles here & there, not anymore.

GasquetGOAT
11-09-2009, 10:10 AM

The problem is people thought the same thing after he won the AO in 2008 that he was going to take No.2 away from Nadal and eventually would become No.1 by 09. Well you know the rest....

Another problem is he can't win when it counts - 4 masters finals lost to Murray, Nadal, Nadal and Federer. Even worse in slams - Roddick, Kohlschreiber! Haas! then Federer.

akv89
11-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Djokovic is pretty close to Nadal in the rankings (although a big part of that was his TMC win last year). Can he overtake Nadal in Paris if he wins and Nadal loses early?

CMM
11-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Djokovic is pretty close to Nadal in the rankings (although a big part of that was his TMC win last year). Can he overtake Nadal in Paris if he wins and Nadal loses early?

No. He will drop 1300 points next week, so if Djokovic wins Paris Rafa will still have 300 points more than him. And Rafa doesn't have to defend any point after Paris.

mandy01
11-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Its possible especially if he does better at slams..he can definitely gain a lot of points next year and if he gets a slam it might just happen.

dh003i
11-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Nadal has a positive H2H against each of those guys you claim are more talented than him :oops:

Nadal 13-7 Federer (65%)
Nadal 14-5 Djokovic (74%)
Nadal 7-2 Murray (78%)

Please think before posting in the future.

But one of those guys, Federer, has won more slams than Nadal every year except for 2008. Federer is clearly more talented than Nadal.

I doubt that Murray is, and Djokovic is questionable. Djokovic has more of a power game than Nadal, but that doesn't mean he is more talented than him. IMO, Nadal's AO-winning form was much more impressive than Djokovic's. And Murray hasn't even won a slam.

Blinkism
11-09-2009, 11:17 AM

No, because even if Nadal loses first round and Djokovic wins Paris, the points will drop from TMC the same day that Paris points are posted and so Djokovic will still be behind Nadal.

edit: sorry, didn't see CMM's answer!

FlamEnemY
11-09-2009, 11:22 AM
I have a more reasonable question - can Murray overtake Djokovic (again) and if yes, then on what conditions? I'm kind of confused with their ranking points.

Blinkism
11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
I have a more reasonable question - can Murray overtake Djokovic (again) and if yes, then on what conditions? I'm kind of confused with their ranking points.

Yeah, it's more than likely if Djokovic doesn't defend his YEC title.

:(

GustafsonFanatic
11-09-2009, 11:36 AM

Djokovic is still ahead of Murray in ATP race (points from the beginning of the year). So Murray has to go further than Djokovic in Paris and London to overtake him.

Djokovic or Murray may get to No.2 in the first half of 2010. I doubt that Nadal will defend his AO and Indian Wells.

Federer will most likely be No.1 for a long time next year.

Bud
11-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Djokovic is still ahead of Murray in ATP race (points from the beginning of the year). So Murray has to go further than Djokovic in Paris and London to overtake him.

Djokovic or Murray may get to No.2 in the first half of 2010. I doubt that Nadal will defend his AO and Indian Wells.

Federer will most likely be No.1 for a long time next year.

He won't if he continues playing like he did in Basel :oops:

ninman
11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
But one of those guys, Federer, has won more slams than Nadal every year except for 2008. Federer is clearly more talented than Nadal.

I doubt that Murray is, and Djokovic is questionable. Djokovic has more of a power game than Nadal, but that doesn't mean he is more talented than him. IMO, Nadal's AO-winning form was much more impressive than Djokovic's. And Murray hasn't even won a slam.

In fact only 2 players have won a slam without first having to defeat Federer, since Federer won Wimbledon in 2003.

jamesblakefan#1
11-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Djokovic wasn't strong enough mentally to come through when he had chances to overtake Nadal and reach #2, no way will he be able to hold up mentally and physically to reach #1 in the world. Short of Federer flaming out and Nadal getting hurt, there's no way Novak will reach #1, and even then I believe Murray and JMDP are better than him to be able to take over in the future. He doesn't have the heart or mentality of a champion.

edberg505
11-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Nah, I'm going to have to go with Djokovic's form. IIRC, he didn't even drop a set going into the final. Hell, he straight setted Federer en route. Something that hadn't be done in nearly 4 years.

NamRanger
11-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Nah, I'm going to have to go with Djokovic's form. IIRC, he didn't even drop a set going into the final. Hell, he straight setted Federer en route. Something that hadn't be done in nearly 4 years.

Pretty sure that had something to do with Federer being sick. Not taking any credit away from Djokovic, but it's alot easier to beat a sick Federer than a healthy one.

Michael Bluth
11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Fed will do fine. He'll probably at least do as well at the AO and IW/Miami as he did this year. Plus if he wins Paris or the TMC that will be a great cushion towards keeping Fed at no.1 until he can break Sampras' record(anything after that is a bonus). And don't think he can't either, remember that he won Cincinnati after his horrible collapse against Tsonga in Montreal.

Telepatic
11-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Pretty sure that had something to do with Federer being sick. Not taking any credit away from Djokovic, but it's alot easier to beat a sick Federer than a healthy one.

Your saying your not taking away credit fron Novak but you actually do by saying that.Even if it influenced THAT much on his game (and it didnt really, he still played great tennis just not his top tennis), he played on, no retirement meaning>>your fine, same goes for Nadal & co.
Man, some of you Fed fans are so ignorant on Novaks one and only GS win..Fed is incredible player but still I dont come out saying: Oh oh, he got Soderling in FO finals, H2H is 10-0 what a lucky player or OH OH Roddick chocked his Wimbledon, thats one big asterisk. (maybe trolls but I'm speaking about normal posters of course)

Baikalic
11-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Your saying your not taking away credit fron Novak but you actually do by saying that.Even if it influenced THAT much on his game (and it didnt really, he still played great tennis just not his top tennis), he played on, no retirement meaning>>your fine, same goes for Nadal & co.

yeah, Federer was still playing really well despite the sickness. AO 08 was Djokovic's tourney.

Telepatic
11-09-2009, 10:33 PM
yeah, Federer was still playing really well despite the sickness. AO 08 was Djokovic's tourney.

Hell even Fed himself told he was just outplayed, classy fans are the best ones.
I dislike Fed but I respect and admit every single win of his, just get over it.

cuddles26
11-10-2009, 04:58 AM
Your saying your not taking away credit fron Novak but you actually do by saying that.Even if it influenced THAT much on his game (and it didnt really, he still played great tennis just not his top tennis)

LOL only a Djokovic fanboy could say something that dumb.

Frankauc
11-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Stars Are Begining To Align!

tennisdad65
11-15-2009, 08:18 AM
I think his fitness or breathing issues will hold him back, especially at the majors. I have 0 confidence in him winning a 5 setter under hot/humid conditions, especially at the Australian open or the US open.

clayman2000
11-15-2009, 08:20 AM
One of Nadal and Federer will take the French
One of Federer, Nadal, Roddick and Murray will take Wimbledon
Del Potro has a great chance to winn all of the slams except Wimbledon.

Djokovic only shot at a slam is really the AO.

But of course if he draws Roddick in his quarter than hes screwed.

But in the end, Djokovic is way too eratic pass both Rafa and Fed.

Frankauc
11-15-2009, 08:24 AM
the new novak is fitter and doesnt suffer breath issues no more.

Fedace
11-15-2009, 08:26 AM
I predict : 2010

#1 Rafa Nadal
#2 Novak Djokovic
#3 Andy Murray -- will beat Federer in wimbledon final
#4 Marin Cilic -- he too will own Federer in 2010
#5 Roger Federer -- will win 0 Slams in 2010
#6 Andy Roddick
#7 Gael Monfils
#8 Tsonga
#9 Radek Stepanek
#10 Sam Querry

Blinkism
11-15-2009, 08:32 AM
^^ No Delpo or Davydenko in the Top 10 at all?

TMF
11-15-2009, 08:48 AM
If Serena at her best was put up against Graf or Navratilova at their best outside of clay, Serena wins. End of story. By the way Graf in her final year on tour when she was still champion and runner up of her final 2 slams got her *** kicked in by a baby pre-prime Serena who was nowhere near the player she would be from 2000-2009 yet.

Ok that's enough. This thread belongs to Novak since he won the last 2 tourneys. You don't need to turn this into Serena GOAT thread. There's enough of that already.

Fedace
11-15-2009, 08:51 AM
I predict : 2010

#1 Rafa Nadal
#2 Novak Djokovic
#3 Andy Murray -- will beat Federer in wimbledon final
#4 Juan Delpotro -- he too will own Federer in 2010
#5 Marin Cilic -- Owns everyone below.
#6 Roger Federer -- will win 0 Slams in 2010
#6 Andy Roddick
#7 Gael Monfils
#8 Tsonga
#9 Radek Stepanek
#10 Sam Querry --most improved player of the year.

Sorry, how could i have forgotten Juan. sorry about that Juan:???:

patty_mnouchkine
11-15-2009, 09:20 AM
clearly to do well in the slams djoker needs to last five sets. three set matches victory cannot be representative of his overall performance in the slam events. his endurance has to be unfailing. he's gonna have a good year i am sure- will make plenty of appearances in the semis, quarters but let's not forget endurance is the key here. next year is going to be one to watch out for. there are a lot many players performing well above their usual standards and its been hard to predict a winner. it remains to be seen whom federer passes the torch to

LafayetteHitter
11-15-2009, 09:26 AM

Nadal's always injured
Murray too

Year after year people keep predicting this about Fed and he continues on. When will people figure it out.

LafayetteHitter
11-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Ok that's enough. This thread belongs to Novak since he won the last 2 tourneys. You don't need to turn this into Serena GOAT thread. There's enough of that already.

The only thing Serena has in common with a Goat is that she eats all the time.

Augustus
11-15-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm truly impressed by the tennis Djokovic is playing these days, and he could be a big threat next year. But remember he won the TMC last year as well and didn't do well after that. He has to prove he can beat the best consistently in Grand Slams, especially Federer. I like his chances at the AO though, with Nadal far from his best and Murray in questionable form... Still a few months from now though.

jefferson
11-15-2009, 09:48 AM
The field is closing in on Fed, but there is still something called consistency. Fed does it week in and week out. He is Mr. Consistency, everyone else gets hot. They win a few tourneys in a row, then fizzle out. Fed ......... still hands down the best on tour.

clayman2000
11-15-2009, 09:57 AM
The field is closing in on Fed, but there is still something called consistency. Fed does it week in and week out. He is Mr. Consistency, everyone else gets hot. They win a few tourneys in a row, then fizzle out. Fed ......... still hands down the best on tour.

Actually that would be Nadal.

Fed lost 1st match in paris, 2nd match in Monte Carlo.

Nadal has made at least the QF of all the Masters (the only player to do so), and has always won at least 2 matches in every tournament he plays.

Frankauc
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Year after year people keep predicting this about Fed and he continues on. When will people figure it out.

i agree, but this time it's true, cause thats the first time i say it.

Yonie
11-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Dont think he will become No. 1 next year. Doesnt play too consistent enough imo. He plays some good tournaments in a row and then falls back again.

kishnabe
11-15-2009, 02:51 PM
This is what everyone said of Murray last year, SO NOO!

Arailic
11-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Possible, but has yet to prove that and as a Nole fan I've learned to take his matches one at a time..... Stilll Fed will be the man to beat next year especially in GS. This is a statement that also applies to Mr. Murray!!!!!!

NamRanger
11-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Hell even Fed himself told he was just outplayed, classy fans are the best ones.
I dislike Fed but I respect and admit every single win of his, just get over it.

Dude you are sounding like gj011. I'm not going to say Federer played his best tennis against Djokovic, because he obviously didn't. Djokovic's AO was well earned, but the draw did play within his favor, as well as luck. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. And Djokovic is good AND lucky, a pretty good combination.

And no, Federer didn't even play great tennis. If Blake and Berdych weren't complete head cases that are completely owned by Federer, they should have beaten a sick Federer.

The greatest thing is that I am one of the biggest criticizers of Federer and Federer fans on this forum, yet you call me a Federer fan. This is like calling GSF a Federer fan, hahahahaha. And even GSF will admit that Djokovic indeed got abit lucky that Federer was sick that year, and GSF loathes Federer.

JeMar
11-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Everyone hop on!!!

Next stop: LONDON!!!

http://www.agrotising.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/Bandwagon.jpg

GustafsonFanatic
11-15-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure about No.1. Federer is gonna stay there for a long time, since he doesn't have many points to defend in the first half of 2010.

But I can bet on Djokovic overtaking Nadal by Indian Wells. Nadal defends 3000 points on HC (!), whereas Djokovic has about 1200 (only quarterfinals in AO and IW).

mawashi
11-15-2009, 08:32 PM
I Novak has dreams of being No.1, he has lots of work to do on his fitness.

After the Monfils match, he looked dead tired.

I loved his new found confidence in his shots against Nadal but I doubt he can play that way through the whole year unless he gets fitter.

Either way I hope that he does get to No1 cus he's fun to watch.

mawashi

MuseFan
11-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Novak is getting to #1 in 2010.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-15-2009, 10:09 PM

Nadal's always injured
Murray too

I think Djokovic has the crappiest mentality out of them. You will see the guys you listed fight through injuries, whereas Djokovic will crap out and quit right away, or the instant things look bad for him. It's the same reason I feel like Monfils will never make it to the top. Monfils has a great game, but he's not much of a fighter mentally. If he has a problem, and he's slightly down, he won't even try.

Nadal fights harder than anyone else I've ever seen, injured or not. Federer used to put up a strong fight, but not anymore, especially against Nadal. It's this fighting mentality that determines champions. Sampras would be pushed beyond his limits, and still fight to the finish line! He's vomited through matches and cramped right after match point! THAT is what is required to be number one! THAT is required to be a true champion. Very few have it, and Djokovic clearly isn't one of the few. It's something you're born with - the desire to win and fight through anything in your way in order to do so.

jamesblakefan#1
11-15-2009, 10:14 PM
I think Djokovic has the crappiest mentality out of them. You will see the guys you listed fight through injuries, whereas Djokovic will crap out and quit right away, or the instant things look bad for him. It's the same reason I feel like Monfils will never make it to the top. Monfils has a great game, but he's not much of a fighter mentally. If he has a problem, and he's slightly down, he won't even try.

Nadal fights harder than anyone else I've ever seen, injured or not. Federer used to put up a strong fight, but not anymore, especially against Nadal. It's this fighting mentality that determines champions. Sampras would be pushed beyond his limits, and still fight to the finish line! He's vomited through matches and cramped right after match point! THAT is what is required to be number one! THAT is required to be a true champion. Very few have it, and Djokovic clearly isn't one of the few. It's something you're born with - the desire to win and fight through anything in your way in order to do so.

Agreed; it's Djokovic's weak mentality, along with a few other factors, that will keep Djokovic from making it to #1 ever or in my opinion ever winning another slam.

People seem to have a short memory about Djokovic's forgettable performances at the slams this year (Retiring as defending champ at AO, early loss at RG, taken out of Wimby by Haas, pwnage at USO by Fed). To me Djokovic still has something to prove as to whether he's really a multi slam winner or just a guy who'll have a good 2-3 months, but then go back and slump for 2-3 months. Him winning 2 titles when most of the field is injured/tired doesn't change a whole lot of my opinion on him.

KenC
11-15-2009, 10:30 PM
I really like Djoker, but I think he needs to improve his physical and mental stamina for the tough matches, especially the slams. He looked really tired halfway through his match yesterday. If it were a tuorny based on best of 5 sets I wonder if Djoker would have won.

Mdubb23
11-15-2009, 10:37 PM
My Projected Rankings at the end of 2010:

1. Roger Federer
2. Novak Djokovic
3. Juan Martin Del Potro
4. Rafael Nadal
5. Andy Roddick
6. Gael Monfils
7. Andy Murray
8. Jo-Wilifried Tsonga
9. Radek Stepanek
10. Marin Cilic

Gen
11-15-2009, 11:26 PM
We already heard it (about Djokovic to be No.1) two years ago. Is it going to be a permanent subject coming back every 2 years?

Bud
11-15-2009, 11:58 PM

1. Roger Federer
2. Novak Djokovic
3. Juan Martin Del Potro
4. Rafael Nadal
5. Andy Roddick
6. Gael Monfils
7. Andy Murray
8. Jo-Wilifried Tsonga
9. Radek Stepanek
10. Marin Cilic

A bit early to make these bold predictions :)

I can see Federer at #3 or worse. He's got a ton of points to defend and is not looking sharp.

mawashi
11-16-2009, 01:31 AM

Agree, he doesn't have the focus or determination of Nadal (then again who does) or the GREAT Pete but if he can focus more, don't clown around too much n get fitter n harder mentally, he has the game to take on anyone n reach No1.

With the exception of Fed & Nadal I say he has a much better shot than getting there than Potro, Murry or the rest of the gang.

I'm waiting to see what happens in London to say more.

mawashi

prosealster
11-16-2009, 02:43 AM
LOL @ the wagon hoppers :)

P_Agony
11-16-2009, 03:28 AM
A bit early to make these bold predictions :)

I can see Federer at #3 or worse. He's got a ton of points to defend and is not looking sharp.

Whi is Fed not looking sharp? He played one bad match recently against Djoker in the Basel final and that's it. I thought he played fairly well against JB in Paris, it's just the later who played a bit better. Besides, don't forget Fed usually changes gear at the slams.

srinrajesh
11-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Not likely in 2010 at least... unless he wins AO / FO in the early part of the season.. since he has done well after USO .. he would defintely be in reckoning if he does very well early

No .2 seems a better possibility as Nadal seems vulnerable since he has so many points to defend early season ....and he is still not back to peak form

GustafsonFanatic
11-16-2009, 05:39 AM
I really like Djoker, but I think he needs to improve his physical and mental stamina for the tough matches, especially the slams. He looked really tired halfway through his match yesterday. If it were a tuorny based on best of 5 sets I wonder if Djoker would have won.

You have to make a distinction regarding fitness.

Stamina is one thing. Djokovic has improved a lot in that regard. He was tired after Monfils match because he played 2 weeks on end, and had a couple of difficult 3-setters along the way (Waw, Radek, Fed, Soderling, Monfils).

But, heat conditioning is a different thing. Novak can have a great stamina, but it will not help if he starts running out of breath under Aussie sun. If he still has problems with heat, then he will have to do something drastic, like spending the whole winter in Australia.

JoelDali
11-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Joker going 3 sets against Monfils is pathetic.

Hes still top 3.

Had he taken it to Monfils in 2 handily with a better mental display I would say yes, hes capable of top 2 tennis.

Sorry, not just yet, but hes on his way. The guy is only 22.

OJ ROD
11-16-2009, 07:18 AM
No.

10 char

Telepatic
11-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Joker going 3 sets against Monfils is pathetic.

Hes still top 3.

Oh give me a break with this double standard, Fed is #1 and lost in second round of Masters to Bennetau, if winning Masters finals in France vs frenchman Monfils through 3 sets (and Monfils being bad match up for Novak) is pathetic than what is Feds loss?

Sure, Novak can get to #1 spot in 2010 or later if he stays consistent and if he makes some priority to GS events.

vanity
11-16-2009, 07:38 AM

1. Roger Federer
2. Novak Djokovic
3. Juan Martin Del Potro
4. Rafael Nadal
5. Andy Roddick
6. Gael Monfils
7. Andy Murray
8. Jo-Wilifried Tsonga
9. Radek Stepanek
10. Marin Cilic

Delusional list. No way will Nadal be ranked 4. I on the other hand can see Federer coming short and end up 3 or 4.

icazares
11-16-2009, 09:05 AM
I thought Federer had given Djokovic a bad beating in the last US Open... :-) Djokovic is an awesome player, no doubt, but it's going to be tough for him to defeat Federer when it really matters, or keep his super high level all through a Grand Slam. Very talented, no obvious weaknesses in his strokes, a great #1 candidate somehow packed in a body that doesn't let him go to the next level.

However, I'm very interested to see what happens between him and Nadal in2010. In their last 2 meetings Nadal looked really bad... In fact Nadal has looked really bad in all of his last losses in hard courts (smoked out by Del Po in Montreal and USOpen, by Novak in Cincy and Paris, by Marin Cilic in Beijing and losing in straights to a clearly superior Davydenko in Shangai), so I'm not going to read too much in a player just because he's giving a beating to Nadal in hardcourts during the second half of the season.

Cesc Fabregas
11-16-2009, 09:58 AM
If Novak wants to become no.1 he can't lose to clowns like Kohlschreiber and Haas next year.

Blinkism
11-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Novak has a brilliant opportunity to rack up points in the early HC season in 2010

I don't remember where he wanted to play, but I think it was some lower level AO tune-up, so he should be favorite to pick up a small amount of points there.

At the AO he lost in the quarters, plenty of points to pick up.

Same for IW!

Djokovic could be world #2 going into Miami, if he goes on a tear early in the season and Nadal/Federer fail to defend enough points to keep Djoker away.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-16-2009, 10:04 AM
If Novak wants to become no.1 he can't lose to clowns like Kohlschreiber and Haas next year.

Hes not gonna become no1, i have nothing against Novak and i can look at this objectively.
He cant play on grass, he has got shitloads of points to defend on clay before RG.
He is the same player he was at RG and Wimbledon who happens to be on a hot streak now, thats all.

JoshDragon
11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Hes not gonna become no1, i have nothing against Novak and i can look at this objectively.
He cant play on grass, he has got shitloads of points to defend on clay before RG.
He is the same player he was at RG and Wimbledon who happens to be on a hot streak now, thats all.

Then how did he make the semi-finals at Wimbledon 2 years ago? Or the finals at Queens club last year?

NamRanger
11-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Then how did he make the semi-finals at Wimbledon 2 years ago? Or the finals at Queens club last year?

He had some relatively easy draws to be honest. That being said, he did win the first set off Nadal in the SF, and probably could have won had he not been injured.

vanity
11-16-2009, 11:10 AM
He had some relatively easy draws to be honest. .

Oh yeah? What about Federer's draws at the French and Wimbledon. I would call those a joke of draws.

And no one says notin' about that.

cuddles26
11-16-2009, 11:16 AM

1. Roger Federer
2. Novak Djokovic
3. Juan Martin Del Potro
4. Rafael Nadal
5. Andy Roddick
6. Gael Monfils
7. Andy Murray
8. Jo-Wilifried Tsonga
9. Radek Stepanek
10. Marin Cilic

I think Roger will definitely be #1 next year. I am not sure who will be #2 but I think it will be between Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, and Del Potro. Roddick will be lucky to stay in the top 10, sure as hell will never be top 5 again. Davydenko will push for the top 5 again and be ranked over Roddick if he stays healthy. Monfils has a good shot to be top 10. Cilic should be top 10 and could even be top 5. Stepanek is playing well but is not now going to have a sustained breakthrough to the top 10 at his age.

GustafsonFanatic
11-16-2009, 11:41 AM

He doesn't have sh1tload of points on clay before RG. He has 2 Masters finals in Rome and MC, and a semi in Madrid. Since Djokovic is at least semifinal material on clay, he will defend most, if not all, of those points.

Are you saying that Djokovic was in top form at French and Wimbledon?? Is 3R at Roland Garros the maximum for Djokovic? How on earth did he reach 2 semis at RG before? How did he win a Masters on clay, and reach 2 Masters finals?

And I've seen a few of your posts concerning Djokovic, and um, no, you are not looking at this objectively.

ps Just for the record, I don't think he will be No.1 next year, but he has about 90% chance to reach No.2 by the end of Indian Wells.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-16-2009, 11:46 AM
He doesn't have sh1tload of points on clay before RG. He has 2 Masters finals in Rome and MC, and a semi in Madrid. Since Djokovic is at least semifinal material on clay, he will defend most, if not all, of those points.

Are you saying that Djokovic was in top form at French and Wimbledon?? Is 3R at Roland Garros the maximum for Djokovic? How on earth did he reach 2 semis at RG before? How did he win a Masters on clay, and reach 2 Masters finals?

And I've seen a few of your posts concerning Djokovic, and um, no, you are not looking at this objectively. You've got something against the guy.

ps Just for the record, I don't think he will be No.1 next year, but he has about 90% chance to reach No.2 by the end of Indian Wells.

How on earth did he reach 2 semis at RG before? He didn't face Nadal or Fed in the draw at that point.

GustafsonFanatic
11-16-2009, 11:51 AM
How on earth did he reach 2 semis at RG before? He didn't face Nadal or Fed in the draw at that point.

............................... :confused:

how did Federer go past 2nd round at RG for the last 5 years? He didn't face Nadal in the draw.

tsk, tsk, tsk...

Ripster
11-16-2009, 12:34 PM

Yeah. He should be making at least the semis in all 4 GS, anything less is a disappointment.

cuddles26
11-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah. He should be making at least the semis in all 4 GS, anything less is a disappointment.

There are many guys who can beat him on grass. Federer, Nadal, Murray, and Roddick are all better than him on grass even if he is in top form, assuming they also are. Then alot of others who could beat him on that surface too on a given day.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-16-2009, 12:42 PM
............................... :confused:

how did Federer go past 2nd round at RG for the last 5 years? He didn't face Nadal in the draw.

tsk, tsk, tsk...

Interesting point. Is this done on purpose to set the stage for an ultimate Fed Nadal dual? Seems as though they should have met earlier in the draw at least once in 5 years.

GustafsonFanatic
11-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Interesting point. Is this done on purpose to set the stage for an ultimate Fed Nadal dual? Seems as though they should have met earlier in the draw at least once in 5 years.

It's an amazing coincidence that No.1 and 2 never met before the final in any tournament in over 5 years? Has that ever happened before in tennis history?

topher.juan
11-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I think Djokovic is sure starting to show he has a chance at #2... I'm not confident with saying #1, but he's playing great, I'm starting to really enjoy watching him. The top three spots next year should be interesting; 2010: The Roggie, Raffy & Djoko Show.

Frankauc
11-16-2009, 01:10 PM
how can they met earlier in the draw if there #1 and #2?....

Buckethead
11-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Only God knows,it's not because Nadal had a not so good year,that he will not improve,he's only 23,still a lot of to be improved.
Roger is on his way down,without a backhand.

FlamEnemY
11-16-2009, 02:02 PM
I think Djokovic is sure starting to show he has a chance at #2... I'm not confident with saying #1, but he's playing great, I'm starting to really enjoy watching him. The top three spots next year should be interesting; 2010: The Roggie, Raffy & Djoko Show.

The good ol' show, just like we want it, ain't it so ;)

ninman
11-16-2009, 02:06 PM
It's an amazing coincidence that No.1 and 2 never met before the final in any tournament in over 5 years? Has that ever happened before in tennis history?

How about Shanghai 2006, 2007? But seriously the words wtf spring to mind about your question. If they are 1 and 2 then they will be seeded 1 and 2 and be on opposite sides of the draw always, that's the whole point of rankings and seedings, so that the best players don't play early on in the tournament.

Blinkism
11-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Oh yeah? What about Federer's draws at the French and Wimbledon. I would call those a joke of draws.

And no one says notin' about that.

Let's just say that if some posters on TW didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all!

:twisted:

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-16-2009, 03:35 PM
How about Shanghai 2006, 2007? But seriously the words wtf spring to mind about your question. If they are 1 and 2 then they will be seeded 1 and 2 and be on opposite sides of the draw always, that's the whole point of rankings and seedings, so that the best players don't play early on in the tournament.

Ninman,

So beyond 1st and 2nd seed then its a wild draw after that?

Frankauc
11-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Nadal said he’s more worried about Novak Djokovic in his group than Soderling or even top-ranked Roger Federer. He insists the third-ranked Serb is playing the best tennis of his life.

Djokovic defeated Nadal in the Paris semifinals en route to his second straight title, after beating Federer in the Swiss Indoors final the previous week.

“If I play my best tennis, and he plays like he did (in Paris), it’s going to be almost impossible” to beat him, Nadal said

'nuff said? thx

GustafsonFanatic
11-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Really? So for the last 5 years they could only have met in the final. And I didn't know that! You know, I was watching every single goddarn match of every single tournament since 2005 (!), always expecting another Fed-Nadal epic in the 2nd round of Wimbledon and QF of Roland Garros. But I actually could have skipped the entire tournament and just watched the finals! LOL I was dumb, thanks for enlightening me. You just saved me a lot of precious hours. How can I ever repay you?