PDA

View Full Version : My forehand is off, balls at 45 degrees go out

hacobian
11-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi eveyone,

I can't figure out why at times my forehand is off and i hit outside the court, the ball's path is at 45 degrees.

At other times, i try to add some top spin or hit closer to the net and it works fine. I don't know what I do right at those times and don't know why I am so inconsistant.

I don't change my "handshake" grip on the forehand and wonder if the problematic forehand is a function of the grip and/or the preparation, putting shoulder into it etc...

I appreciate your help. Thanks. Armand.

----------
Prince 110 Speedport blue. 3.5 player

user92626
11-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't get your handshake grip. It's usually considered as continental which is not effective for FH. I think you're like me that you can only hit a relatively flat trajectory. Any more "archy" the ball will go out. So, I guess "lock" into your memory a certain hitting power and try to hit within that flat trajectory.

LeeD
11-09-2009, 08:01 AM
If you want to hit harder and keep the ball inside the baseline, you have to hit lower than 6' over the net AND apply topspin.
If you insist on continental grip, then you MUST turn your feet sideways, turn your back slightly towards the opponent, have the racket ball and ready really early, have the racket held vertical, relax your wrists and swing thru the ball with the racketface slightly CLOSED at impact. You're using a '70's grip, so look at the techniques of the '70's players. Look up AdrianoPanatta and RodLaver, IliaNastase.

hacobian
11-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Thank you. I am going to switch to an eastern grip, apply top spin and aim at < 6" above the net

user92626
11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
LeeD and Others,

Do you know if pro's actually aim for a net clearance range or they simply hit with the stroke & power they know and that should take care of things?

papa
11-09-2009, 03:56 PM
To me, there are two aspects of the stroke - one is lift, the other push. Sounds like both are off and your trying to just whack the ball.

SystemicAnomaly
11-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Perhaps the Speedport Blue is a problem. What is the power level on that? You might try the White or the Black instead.

If you are really using a contiental grip then switching to an Easter or SW should certainly help. Another thing to try is to have the palm down -- the racquet face somewhat closed -- at the very begining of the forward swing.

user92626
11-09-2009, 07:46 PM
To me, there are two aspects of the stroke - one is lift, the other push. Sounds like both are off and your trying to just whack the ball.

wow, i think u know this problem that's been racking my brain for weeks. I can't decide which is the proper stroke to develop as staple -- hit the back of the ball in a lifting motion and the ball comes off the racket face in a clear angle or hit thru the ball in a path as if that's the path you want the ball to go. The former approach gives me alot of spin, great to hit hard, but hard to aim it at just the right amount of net clearance; but the latter makes it easy to "push" the ball in but very hard to hit with strength (it will be out).

Not sure if I made any sense.

LeeD
11-10-2009, 11:08 AM
It's not a black or white world, rather shades of gray are the predominate answers here. So... brush up the backside slightly and hit thru the ball!
As for the pros, they hit lots of tennis balls, know how high a certain struck shot needs to go to get deep and stay in. They always factor height over net, but the true goal is depth without going out.
Some hit flat with little margin for error.
Nadal's hit high over the net with lots of spin to increase the margin for error.
Depends on what you want to do?

user92626
11-10-2009, 01:59 PM
LeeD,

So, when a pro like Fed hits very hard, he basically limits the "hitting thru" aspect? In other words, constantly gauge and have only enough hitting thru factor?

papa
11-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Well, I don't want this to sound too basic but if your having problems clearing the net can't seem to hit deep, you need more push. If the ball is going way deep, use more lift. Some insist on hitting the ball the same regardless of their court position.

All this of course assumes that your using the right grip, keeping your balance, along with many other rather critical factors.

Bungalo Bill
11-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi eveyone,

I can't figure out why at times my forehand is off and i hit outside the court, the ball's path is at 45 degrees.

At other times, i try to add some top spin or hit closer to the net and it works fine. I don't know what I do right at those times and don't know why I am so inconsistant.

I don't change my "handshake" grip on the forehand and wonder if the problematic forehand is a function of the grip and/or the preparation, putting shoulder into it etc...

I appreciate your help. Thanks. Armand.

----------
Prince 110 Speedport blue. 3.5 player

Armand, a lot of times people simply overhit and don't know it. Go back to the basics.

Seeing your stroke will help as we can analyze:

1. Your footwork and balance.

2. Your weight transfer and angular momentum control

3. Your use of the non-domiinant arm.

4. Your swing path and how you use extension.

5. Your followthrough and rebalance.

6. How you use your head and other things.

If you are swinging at the ball and not balanced properly, it can throw off how you think you are going to hit the ball or what you are trying to do with it.

A drill I use to get people back on track is:

1. Attach a flexible rope to two extension poles. Make sure the rope is long enough to stretch over the entire net and long enough so the poles can be attached to the net posts.

2. Attach the poles to the net posts.

3. Raise the poles so the rope is about six feet high over the net (need to get long extension poles).

4. Then for practice, hit crosscourt only at first, then DTL, then mix it up with your buddy.

What you will learn is how to use your legs for lift and your swing path for spin. You will also learn not to overhit and keep the ball in play using your rally stroke.

Your goal is to hit 50 balls without error for each drill. Do this drill often and you will learn that all you need to do is slow it down, get better form, and hit through the ball using your legs and good technique.

tennis angel
11-11-2009, 09:01 AM
What is the purpose of the rope? what do you do with it?

tennis angel
11-11-2009, 09:02 AM
What do you mean by hit through the ball?

SystemicAnomaly
11-11-2009, 11:59 AM

The rope sounds like a reference for ball height over the net. Not sure tho' if BB meant 6 feet off the ground or 6 feet above the top of the net. If the former, I would probably have students learn to hit over the rope. For the latter case, a good objective might be to hit under the rope.

papa
11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Some of you guys really need to see close up how much clearance most pros hit over the net - some average four to five feet, some like Nadal average probably over six. Hard to see on TV because of the angle of most camera shots. Might appear that most shots just skim the net cord but they are much, much higher. Rope thing is to get players used to getting more height on their shots.

I used to tell people, listen to BB, your getting "top notch advice" FREE that you can take to the bank. Some insist on re-inventing the wheel on everything which I don't quite understand.

Bungalo Bill
11-11-2009, 05:00 PM

The purpose is to hit over it so you learn how to hit over the net with good net clearance. You also want to hit with topspin and learn how to hit with appropriate pace and depth. You learn how to use your legs in your shot to help with lift.

You adjust the poles so that the rope is 6 ft higher than the net. You hit over the rope.

You can also do drills where one ball you hit over and one ball you hit under.

Bungalo Bill
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
What do you mean by hit through the ball?

Hitting through the ball means you just dont brush it and veer off too soon. A good timeless tennis tip is to pretend you are hitting through 4 balls.

hacobian
11-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Systemic, I think your advice of keepin gthe somewhat down/closed at the beginning of the forward swing is what i do without realizing when my balls stay in.

I'll work on that. BTW, the tension on the speedport blue is one off the maximum (I believe 63/64)

Thanks again.

Armand

SystemicAnomaly
11-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Systemic, I think your advice of keeping the somewhat down/closed at the beginning of the forward swing is what i do without realizing when my balls stay in.

I'll work on that. BTW, the tension on the speedport blue is one off the maximum (I believe 63/64)

Thanks again.

Armand

The power level of the SP Blue is 1300 = a very powerful frame. The high string tension (63/64) should help to temper that innate power. I don't swing particularly fast (perhaps medium fast), but I know that I'd have a difficult time keeping groundstrokes in the court with a frame this powerful.

If the other suggestions provided in this thread aren't enough to get your shots from going long, consider going to a frame with a PL that is less than 1100.

SystemicAnomaly
11-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I should have asked the question earlier -- are you intentionally trying to launch the ball at a 45 degree angle? Unless you employ significant topspin, this launch angle will tend to send the ball long, even at moderate ball speeds. 45 degrees is the optimal projectile launch angle to achieve maximum distance (I don't think that normal air drag would have a bearing on this but significant topspin/underspin probably would).

papa
11-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I should have asked the question earlier -- are you intentionally trying to launch the ball at a 45 degree angle? Unless you employ significant topspin, this launch angle will tend to send the ball long, even at moderate ball speeds. 45 degrees is the optimal projectile launch angle to achieve maximum distance (I don't think that normal air drag would have a bearing on this but significant topspin/underspin probably would).

I must be missing something here. You've made almost 3500 posts and your asking about a "launch angle at 45 degrees" - got be be a joke.

This is tennis forum and your talking about "launch the ball", "maximum distance", "optimal projectile launch angle", etc. Your making this sound like an Ordnance discussion.

Mercy

SystemicAnomaly
11-16-2009, 07:20 PM

(This post intentionally left blank)

SystemicAnomaly
11-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I must be missing something here. You've made almost 3500 posts and your asking about a "launch angle at 45 degrees" - got be be a joke.

This is tennis forum and your talking about "launch the ball", "maximum distance", "optimal projectile launch angle", etc. Your making this sound like an Ordnance discussion.

Mercy

Down boy. I'm trying to figure out exactly what the OP was getting at.

So, what is your damage, pa? Not sure what your point is. Maybe if you read a few more of those 3500 posts, you might just learn a thing or two.

papa
11-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Down boy. I'm trying to figure out exactly what the OP was getting at.

So, what is your damage, pa? Not sure what your point is. Maybe if you read a few more of those 3500 posts, you might just learn a thing or two.

OK, never too old to learn. I've been around this game for a long time and I'm always surprised to hear of some new little twist or tip. Like yourself, I sometimes find myself just trying to understand what the question was and maybe I wasn't listening good enough because of other distractions at the time, "terms" got in the way or to be blunt about it, maybe I just wasn't smart enough to see where the thing was going.

Actually I thought the post might have been a joke because I've never heard some of the terms that were used - sorry.