PDA

View Full Version : Is Federer finished?

sureshs
11-08-2009, 02:17 PM
First USO, and now this. Obviously he cannot compete with the younger generation who are much fitter and hit harder. A generational change has occured in tennis, which Agassi used to say occurs every 5 years (and you know how Agassi countered it :wink::wink:)

Should he hang up his racquet for good?

Serendipitous
11-08-2009, 02:18 PM
First USO, and now this. Obviously he cannot compete with the younger generation who are much fitter and hit harder. A generational change has occured in tennis, which Agassi used to say occurs every 5 years (and you know how Agassi countered it :wink::wink:

If you say so.....

NamRanger
11-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I concur with you.

flyinghippos101
11-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Yup, old man Federer is done, finished. Should jsut hang up his racket and his millions in endorsements before he embarrasses himself any further, besides, he's only won three slams this year! THREE! shameful

Blinkism
11-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Fed is still the premiere clay courter

what with him holding both clay slams at the moment

GustafsonFanatic
11-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Who's Federer?

Serendipitous
11-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Who's Federer?

This guy who is good at tennis....

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3480/rogerfederer1250932cwtf.jpg

jamesblakefan#1
11-08-2009, 02:47 PM
First USO, and now this. Obviously he cannot compete with the younger generation who are much fitter and hit harder. A generational change has occured in tennis, which Agassi used to say occurs every 5 years (and you know how Agassi countered it :wink::wink:)

But he won the real slam, didn't he?

LafayetteHitter
11-08-2009, 02:51 PM

He is probably just waiting for you to pull the trigger and give him the green light. After letting you down personally with only two slams in the bag this year along with taking Pete's claim to fame i'm sure he values your opinion more than anything.

kishnabe
Yup, old man Federer is done, finished. Should jsut hang up his racket and his millions in endorsements before he embarrasses himself any further, besides, he's only won three slams this year! THREE! shameful

He won Three? Unless You mean Roland Garros, Wimbledon and Cincy.

Turning Pro
His best bet is Wimbledon next year, and even that's not guaranteed.

timnz
Same comments as a year ago, saying that Federer was finished.

And then Federer won 2 more Majors.

People need to reflect that this year Federer was 2 sets from winning the real grand slam (all 4 in one calendar year).

So agreed, Federer is finished. If you mean that by being finished you still win one or two Grand Slam tournaments a year.

jmverdugo
11-08-2009, 02:56 PM
So if he is finished and made it to the finals what do you say about the guys that lost to him every tournament.

Cantankersore
11-08-2009, 03:06 PM
So if he is finished and made it to the finals what do you say about the guys that lost to him every tournament.

This. In his younger years his play was at an untouchable standard. Now he's older, and naturally not as good. Playing pretty badly and losing the final in three sets to the world number three while gaining ranking points isn't a terrible way to go out.

Bud
11-08-2009, 03:19 PM

He's definitely lost the edge on his ground game and the overall intimidation factor is not nearly what is was 2-3 years ago.

He doesn't move as well as he did in the past (especially side to side), his mental game is not as strong and he lacks the passion for winning he showed in the past. There were a number of times that Djokovic went behind Federer and he was simply unable to adjust his footwork.

If it were not for his immensely improved serve over the last few years... much of the competition (top 5) would have eaten him up. He still gets a ton of free points on serve... with either service winners or aces.

If he's serving below average (like today) and playing someone with an excellent defensive game (again, like today with Djokovic), his success will be limited in the future.

Let's face it... Federer is approaching 30 and the twilight of his career... he won't be on top forever.

rocket
11-08-2009, 03:22 PM

Of course he should, any loss is unacceptable.

Also, don't forget to hand in your letter of resignation everytime you have a bad day at work. ;)

Bud
11-08-2009, 03:25 PM
This. In his younger years his play was at an untouchable standard. Now he's older, and naturally not as good. Playing pretty badly and losing the final in three sets to the world number three while gaining ranking points isn't a terrible way to go out.

He won this event last year... how did he gain ranking points?

Fedace
11-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Could it have been the Tech of Youtek that demised Federer today?. Looked like Novak couldn't miss.

Serendipitous
11-08-2009, 03:26 PM

It was a 250 event last year.

Bud
11-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Could it have been the Tech of Youtek that demised Federer today?. Looked like Novak couldn't miss.

Novak played decent, solid tennis today... but he also had his share of silly errors and brain farts.

Fedace
11-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Novak played decent, solid tennis today... but he also had his share of silly errors and brain farts.

You mean Novak beat the GOD of tennis despite his silly errors ??????? How can that be ??? I thought only PERFECT God like tennis can beat Federer these day.....??:confused::confused:

Bud
11-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Thanks. So he gained 50 points?

Bud
11-08-2009, 03:33 PM
You mean Novak beat the GOD of tennis despite his silly errors ??????? How can that be ??? I thought only PERFECT God like tennis can beat Federer these day.....??:confused::confused:

That first set was crazy... it took Novak like 10 set points to close it out. It was a comedy of errors from both players.

jefferson
11-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I think that we forget that he is human. He is not going to win every match he plays. With that said he is older, slower, a husband and a father. Not all of his focus will be on just tennis ever again.

I have a very well known baseball player friend. I am always amazed that his wife puts him through all the same crap as all of our normal lives wives! Once you have kids everything changes. He has to add another priority to his life. His tennis is bound to suffer.

eagle
11-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Yup, every touring pro who loses a match should retire especially those who have lost less than 10 matches the whole year.

r,
eagle

Cyan
11-08-2009, 04:00 PM

Agreed......

Cantankersore
11-08-2009, 04:03 PM

Runner up in a 500 gets 300, winner of a 250 gets 250. :oops:

pound cat
11-08-2009, 04:13 PM
He should pull a Henin or Borg.....quit while he is #1. He would be talked about for decades in the "What if" thread. And remembered only for his wins instead of his losses towards the end of his tennis career.

Mirka is smart. She'll think of something.

Cantankersore
11-08-2009, 04:16 PM
That makes absolutely no sense. Great players aren't remembered for the end of their careers, unless they're particularly bad and the player is particularly good (but even then, Connors?). He'll stick around for a while. In fact, the benefits on a legacy to retiring early aren't that big of a deal (Graf, for instance).

dh003i
11-08-2009, 04:55 PM
He should play as long as he still feels like playing. He is still the favorite at 3 out of the 4 slams, and the strong favorite at Wimbledon. He still has the possibility of a multi-slam year next year, and possibly even for a few years after that. But really, any year that he wins a slam -- especially as he approaches or goes past 30 -- is a great year.

Presumably, at some point, he won't be able to win a GS anymore, or it will be very unlikely. But remember, Agassi had a shot at, what, 34? After he feels he can no-longer win slams, maybe he'll still feel like playing, maybe he won't. He should play as long as he enjoys playing.

IvanAndreevich
11-08-2009, 05:01 PM

What's guaranteed as far as next year is concerned?

T1000
11-08-2009, 05:06 PM
He sucks, he's only number one in the world. I would definitely retire if i was having his disappointing year.

Agassifan
11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
He's only made 17 of the last 18 slam finals. He is definitely done.

Cody
11-08-2009, 07:29 PM

He won 2 slams this year not 3.

But you get the idea.

BreakPoint
11-08-2009, 07:30 PM

But according to you, he just won the "real Slam" - Cincinnati. :shock:

Agassifan
11-08-2009, 07:31 PM
He won 2 slams this year not 3.

WTF? check your facts. The OP does not agree with this.

BreakPoint
11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
By making it to the finals instead of losing in the first round. :)

Cody
11-08-2009, 07:37 PM
WTF? check your facts. The OP does not agree with this.

I'm pretty sure he won 2 slams this year

Lets break it down,

AO- Nadal
French Open - Federer
Wimbledon - Federer
US Open - Del Potro

1+1=2

Federer = 2 slams this year :)

Blinkism
11-08-2009, 07:39 PM
^^

What about Cincinnati?

Cody
11-08-2009, 07:42 PM
^^

What about Cincinnati?

I must have missed it when it became a slam :)

flyinghippos101
11-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm pretty sure he won 2 slams this year

Lets break it down,

AO- Nadal
French Open - Federer
Wimbledon - Federer
US Open - Del Potro

1+1=2

Federer = 2 slams this year :)

Minor correction

AO- Nadal
French Open - Federer
Wimbledon - Federer
Cincinnatti-Federer
US Open - Del Potro

1+1+1=3 :)

samster
11-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Yes, he is done with the K-Factor paintjob. On to the next.

Cody
11-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Minor correction

AO- Nadal
French Open - Federer
Wimbledon - Federer
Cincinnatti-Federer
US Open - Del Potro

Lol, who declared it a slam :)

I smell troll here....

samster
11-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Minor correction

AO- Nadal
French Open - Federer
Wimbledon - Federer
Cincinnatti-Federer
US Open - Del Potro

Word.

(10 Characters)

flyinghippos101
11-08-2009, 07:46 PM
:neutral:I must have missed it when it became a slam :)

I feel bad making inside jokes while you remain clueless :neutral: Sureshs decide to call cincinnati the "Real Slam" awhile back and made a thread on it. If anybody found the thread, that would be awesome. It was something like, "Cincinnati, the REAL slam" full of fail, read for serious lulz

Cody
11-08-2009, 07:48 PM
:neutral:

I feel bad making inside jokes while you remain clueless :neutral: Sureshs decide to call cincinnati the "Real Slam" awhile back and made a thread on it. If anybody found the thread, that would be awesome. It was something like, "Cincinnati, the REAL slam" full of fail, read for serious lulz

Thanks, sorry about that.:)

I'll make it my reading tonight

Edit: Found it http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=282818&highlight=Real+Slam

samster
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
:neutral:

Trust me, I got your joke! ;)

Blinkism
11-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Sorry for derailing this AWESOME thread

but here's a fun clip

Federer/Borg vs. Mcenroe/Blake in doubles

enjoy :) (wish they put Nadal with Mac, though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiDqx6NM68Y&feature=related

_maxi
11-08-2009, 08:04 PM
This thread makes no sense. The same guy that has beaten federer today, lost pretty easy to him 2 months ago on a major semifinal.

Many said he was dead last year, when he coultn't win a mayor. Till he won the uso.

Cody
11-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Sorry for derailing this AWESOME thread

but here's a fun clip

Federer/Borg vs. Mcenroe/Blake in doubles

enjoy :) (wish they put Nadal with Mac, though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiDqx6NM68Y&feature=related

Yeh, the youtube comments said that blake was just a sub cause nadal was injured.

It would have been a great showdown.

Bud
11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Wowee! That was some nice doubles play.

The anticipation of all 4 players, when at net, was amazing :shock:

stormholloway
11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Cincy is lucky to have a Masters tournament at all.

Federer should definitely retire though. In fact, any player that loses a match should retire.

msc886
11-08-2009, 10:19 PM
lol. How did Cincinnati become a slam. Did I miss something?

jamesblakefan#1
11-08-2009, 10:38 PM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=282818&highlight=Cincinnati+real+slam

ms87
11-08-2009, 10:45 PM
two slams and two slam finals and ranked #1 in the world.

yeah, federer's done.

FEDEXP
11-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Yeah,
I know Suresh has been around here for a good while but you can always identify a troll thread when the initiator does not post again.

vndesu
11-08-2009, 11:12 PM
its like saying nadal should retire after losing RG. everyone loses at one point

aphex
11-08-2009, 11:15 PM

http://www.readthesmiths.com/articles/Images/Humor/Fail/1FAIL.jpg

sh@de
11-08-2009, 11:20 PM

And anything is ever supposed to be guaranteed...?

P_Agony
11-08-2009, 11:37 PM

So you want a guy who won three slams this year to retire?

P_Agony
11-08-2009, 11:39 PM

sureshs said Cincy is the real slam and Fed would never win it given that he has to go through Murray and then Djokovic/Nadal. He/She also said that whoever wins Cincy is the undisputed GOAT.

Well, by sureshs' comments, it appears Federer has won 18 slams in his career and is the undisputed GOAT. Not bad I would say.

Bud
11-09-2009, 12:45 AM
So you want a guy who won three slams this year to retire?

They should move the French Open to Cincinnati in 2010 :shock:

kOaMaster
11-09-2009, 01:02 AM

yep he's done. federer should not play if he's only losing finals :(
he should better lose in the first round and let other younger players have a chance winning the final.

Slayer
11-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Also, don't forget to hand in your letter of resignation everytime you have a bad day at work. ;)

Considering the amount of time it must take to think of these threads, I think it's safe to conclude that work = TT forums for sureshs.

Following the same thought pattern, I am for some reason unable to find any of the 100+ resignation letters that must surely be somewhere on these forums.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 04:39 AM

You are an idiot who obviously has NO understanding of the game of tennis whatsoever.
Gotta be very embarassing to create a thread like this.

sh@de
11-09-2009, 05:01 AM
You are an idiot who obviously has NO understanding of the game of tennis whatsoever.
Gotta be very embarassing to create a thread like this.

That bit's all you need :)

dropshot winner
11-09-2009, 05:06 AM
Federer should've retired a long time ago, after losing 1st round of Roland Garros 2003 to be exact.

Imagine all the bad losses he could've avoided!

crash1929
11-09-2009, 05:11 AM
he just lost a tennis match; it can happen you know.

raging
11-09-2009, 05:26 AM
Hey Magic! don't sweat it! Suresh is "known", it's no big deal. Just provocation.

It is supposed to be a joke, I am new to the boards but been reading stuff like this for years. You are right...it has nothing to do with tennis....

Fed will win a few more and then history will judge him.

I think I know what history will say!:):):)

jefferson
11-10-2009, 06:01 AM
He's a stud, period. Will he dominate like years previous? No. Will he remain #1 for the next 5 years? Maybe. Will/can he remain in the top 3 for the next 5 years? Definitely.

IMO Federer is the GOAT. (From the players that I have seen.) If Sampras won the French then more of an argument for him.

tennis angel
11-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Federer is not finished

sureshs
11-10-2009, 06:16 AM
he just lost a tennis match; it can happen you know.

And he lost another match to DP before this. And he will lose to Nadal soon. It is a trend.

shazbot
11-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Federer should get a sex change, then be the first tennis player to hold the most slams for both men and women.

jefferson
11-10-2009, 08:17 AM
And he lost another match to DP before this. And he will lose to Nadal soon. It is a trend.

He has only lost 8 matches this entire year!! Bouncing back from an off year 2008, where he lost 15 matches. He won 92% of his matches this year! And he should quit! ... you are funny.

aphex
11-10-2009, 08:21 AM

http://www.readthesmiths.com/articles/Images/Humor/Fail/1FAIL.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc249/demosethell/Frases/not-funny.jpg

~ZoSo~
11-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Federer should get a sex change, then be the first tennis player to hold the most slams for both men and women.

Yes and hes halfway there already so he should benefit from at least 50% discount on the surgery costs.

Bud
11-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Yes and hes halfway there already so he should benefit from at least 50% discount on the surgery costs.

http://www.freshnessmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nike-roger-federer-wimbledon-2009-collection-3.jpg

Mansewerz
11-10-2009, 02:55 PM

5-4 in the first was by far some of the ugliest tennis i've seen from both Novak and Federer since Miami this year.

volleynets
11-10-2009, 03:22 PM

It is not so much a trend as your posts and threads though :wink:

P_Agony
11-11-2009, 12:47 AM

You do know Federer owns Del Potro right?

zagor
11-11-2009, 12:56 AM
He has only lost 8 matches this entire year!! Bouncing back from an off year 2008, where he lost 15 matches. He won 92% of his matches this year! And he should quit! ... you are funny.

No,he's sad,funny is a bit higher level than this basic trolling which is common on this forum regarding Fed losing a match.

Gen
11-11-2009, 01:58 AM
"Is Federer finished?"

Hopefully yes.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-11-2009, 03:10 AM
"Is Federer finished?"

Hopefully yes.
Welcome back gj011!

sh@de
11-11-2009, 03:55 AM
"Is Federer finished?"

Hopefully yes.

"Will you leave?"

Hopefully yes too.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-11-2009, 03:56 AM
"Will you leave?"

Hopefully yes too.

Agree with this

B A Y
11-11-2009, 06:37 AM

Try two slams!!?? Unless there is a 5th that I haven't heard of which he could have won?

jefferson
11-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Agree with this

How does one get banned from the message boards? I noticed that serendipitus(?) was banned. I thought maybe he did cause of the stealing Fedace avatar. But I have no idea.

jamesblakefan#1
11-11-2009, 06:50 AM
How does one get banned from the message boards? I noticed that serendipitus(?) was banned. I thought maybe he did cause of the stealing Fedace avatar. But I have no idea.

Oh no...he got another one! :lol:

jefferson
11-11-2009, 06:50 AM
And I just noticed that he is serendipitus is back, no longer banned! But with a diff avatar.

Rippy
11-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Try two slams!!?? Unless there is a 5th that I haven't heard of which he could have won?

Cincinnati of course! :p

Mun
11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
I think he won't win any Slams in 2010, maybe one more in 2011 to tie the Sampras record. That's all.

vbranis
11-11-2009, 04:07 PM
I think he won't win any Slams in 2010, maybe one more in 2011 to tie the Sampras record. That's all.

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/01/facepalm.jpg

edmondsm
11-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah he lost one match, at a tournament he probably didn't want to be playing, and he's finished?

This board will never change. Now watch, Federer will win the Masters Cup and there will be 10 threads about how Federer is going to win the calender slam next year.

Mun
11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah he lost one match, at a tournament he probably didn't want to be playing, and he's finished?

This board will never change. Now watch, Federer will win the Masters Cup and there will be 10 threads about how Federer is going to win the calender slam next year.

Or maybe he will lose in round robin like last year, we will see. If Murray and Del Potro are in his group I can't see Federer going through.

Fedace
11-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Roger is turing into Williams sister. Only gets up for the Slams...

Mun
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM

I'm sure Mirka would hate that

Grampy
11-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I hope for the sake of humanity the OP was a joke.

edmondsm
11-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Or maybe he will lose in round robin like last year, we will see. If Murray and Del Potro are in his group I can't see Federer going through.

Doesn't matter. My point stands. This board has the attention span of a ******** hamster.

Agassifan
11-11-2009, 04:19 PM

or Pete sampras circa early 2000s. Except fed is winning some slams.

ttbrowne
11-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Yes, He's finished, washed up, too old, out to pasture....That's why he'll be the favorite at the ATP World Tour Finals in London this month.

AAAA
11-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Look at the other thread, Murray-Blake finished at 2am Paris time. If I was 28, a multi-slam winner with two newly born twins I'd play a few matches or sets just to keep the game ticking over then do a tank job in disguise.

Blake0
11-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Slam wise..i'd consider this his 2nd best year. Won FO and Wimbledon, finals on AO and USO (which both went to 5 sets). His best one was when he won AO, W, USO, and finals in FO.

jefferson
11-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Fed is the one of two players capable of winning two or more slams a year! A healthy Rafa being the other.
I find it amazing how injury free Fed's career has been up until this point. This has had a huge impact on his career.

sureshs
11-12-2009, 04:26 AM
I think he is finished. 3 losses in a row.

sureshs
11-12-2009, 04:27 AM
I predicted a tank and it happened. Fed will do anything to avoid losing to Rafa.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-12-2009, 04:37 AM
I think he is finished. 3 losses in a row.
No, 2 in a row. Between USO-final and Basel he won 2 DC-matches on clay vs Italy.

volleynets
11-12-2009, 07:59 AM
I predicted a tank and it happened. Fed will do anything to avoid losing to Rafa.

Sureshs you are hilarious!

edmondsm
11-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Look at the other thread, Murray-Blake finished at 2am Paris time. If I was 28, a multi-slam winner with two newly born twins I'd play a few matches or sets just to keep the game ticking over then do a tank job in disguise.

None of the top guys ever want to be playing Paris masters. Look at past winners: Tsonga, Davydenko, Berdych, Henman, etc...

Strobe Lights
11-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Slam wise..i'd consider this his 2nd best year. Won FO and Wimbledon, finals on AO and USO (which both went to 5 sets). His best one was when he won AO, W, USO, and finals in FO.
He went WFWW in both 2006 and 2007.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Sureshs you are hilarious!

Sureshs you are a blundering idiot.

Mick
11-12-2009, 08:53 AM
sureshs is the G.O.A.T.

nikdom
11-12-2009, 09:13 AM
suresh teri maa ka bhosda
suresh vattha tevadaya paiyya
suresh nee amma gudda lo nee modda

One of the three should fit you :)

CCNM
11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm sure he's got 1 or 2 more slams left in him....

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Mick your avatar is the GOAT. Sureshs is not the GOAT.

CHOcobo
11-12-2009, 04:17 PM
he's just slow. doesn't run anymore to the ball. lost his cat like reflexes. too bad.

you mean two.

SourStraws
11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Fed made it to the finals of all four slams this year and to the finals of a recent tourney..He's not done

S.S.

sureshs
11-13-2009, 07:40 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4649578&name=bodo_peter

Federer letting too many chances slip away

Thursday, November 12, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

Oh, Julien Benneteau, how could you do it to Roger how could you do it to us?

That was the cry that went up from the Roger Federer faithful, who take the psychological process of "identification" to new heights, as soon as Benneteau wrapped up his win over Federer at the BNP Paribas Masters -- the last 1000-series tournament of the year and the prelude to the year-end Tennis Masters Cup.

The reaction was a perfect case in point illustrating the marriage of two frequently voiced theories: The rich get richer and greed is good. For it seems that Federer's most die-hard supporters just never tire of sticking their virtual faces into the trough of Ws. In this, they are very different from their idol and icon, and setting themselves up for some disappointing times.

Since winning his record-shattering 15th major title at Wimbledon, Federer has shown signs of serious metal (or is it "mettle"?) fatigue. He took his eyes off the ball and committed the unforgivable sin of changing a winning game in his U.S. Open final against Juan Martin del Potro, and found himself outhit and outmuscled in the late stages of that match.

Some critics thought the decision betrayed the whiff of the arrogance some attribute to Federer -- a hubris that leads him to play any way his opponent wants, confident that he can still adapt and win, or simply do the same thing as his opponent, only better -- the latter being the challenge-seeking man's way of making a point.

But I put that turnaround in the U.S. Open final down less to arrogance than a lack of paying sufficiently close attention to what was happening on the court, happening to him -- the greatest of all time -- at the hands of a still-raw, relatively inexperienced aspiring champion. Somehow, if Federer were looking to bag his first (as opposed to a record sixth straight) U.S. Open, I don't think he would have felt so confident abandoning the containment strategy he'd successfully pursued early in the match.

When you turn your back on the containment strategy, you'd better be ready to reach out and aggressively grab the match; del Potro prevented Federer from doing that in New York, and in his subsequent tournament appearances, against lesser players than the U.S. Open champ, Federer simply didn't follow that aggressive mandate. He lost the final at Basel to Novak Djokovic and his first match in Paris. Don't think he doesn't understand why.

"It wasn't a bad performance," Federer said. "I think Julien, he went out and got the victory. You know, I definitely had chances. I missed them. Seems to happen a bit to me now, you know, looking back at the Basel final or the U.S. Open final. I just have to make sure I don't let chances go by like this all the time."

Metal fatigue causes many a breakdown in high-performance motorcycles and cars; mettle fatigue causes the same in champions. Federer fans may as well get used to the idea.

jrepac
11-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Far from it...but, let's be real...he can't win everything, over everyone, all the time. He is married w/2 kids now, so it definitely changes the perspective. And, certainly, there has to be some mental fatigue. But, let's say he goes on to play for another 3 to 4 years and picks up a slam each year....that would be quite respectable, no?

wangs78
11-13-2009, 08:14 AM
He's definitely lost the edge on his ground game and the overall intimidation factor is not nearly what is was 2-3 years ago.

He doesn't move as well as he did in the past (especially side to side), his mental game is not as strong and he lacks the passion for winning he showed in the past. There were a number of times that Djokovic went behind Federer and he was simply unable to adjust his footwork.

If it were not for his immensely improved serve over the last few years... much of the competition (top 5) would have eaten him up. He still gets a ton of free points on serve... with either service winners or aces.

If he's serving below average (like today) and playing someone with an excellent defensive game (again, like today with Djokovic), his success will be limited in the future.

Let's face it... Federer is approaching 30 and the twilight of his career... he won't be on top forever.

Agreed. Fed's not going to get any better. His goal (if he's still motivated) should be to slow the decline as much as possible, bc I think even at his current level he can win 2 Slams a year and certainly can win 1. He just needs to stay motivated. His game is so versatile that he can beat, younger more athletic players, provided he's smart about it and tries to win using his wide array of shots as opposed to trying to outgun a player, which is what he tried to do against Del Potro at the USO and of course he failed bc he can't physically outgun someone who's 7 years younger and 4-5 inches taller.

wangs78
11-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Far from it...but, let's be real...he can't win everything, over everyone, all the time. He is married w/2 kids now, so it definitely changes the perspective. And, certainly, there has to be some mental fatigue. But, let's say he goes on to play for another 3 to 4 years and picks up a slam each year....that would be quite respectable, no?

I think Fed will end up with 17 Slams. That's my safe estimate. He can get 20 but kind of depends on a lot of things.

zapvor
11-13-2009, 08:50 AM
threads like this make me laugh

norbac
11-13-2009, 08:55 AM
The real question is: Is Federer Finnish?