PDA

View Full Version : does a racquet make a big difference?

NoirX252
11-08-2009, 02:34 PM
My PoG is being strung right now so I went out and played with my old racquet (strings aren't too old) Prince TT (triple threat) scream.

I had a very hard time controlling the ball, I had to effectively use maybe 40% of my power to keep it in with any consistency.

Is this normal or failure to adjust?

11-08-2009, 04:28 PM
My PoG is being strung right now so I went out and played with my old racquet (strings aren't too old) Prince TT (triple threat) scream.

I had a very hard time controlling the ball, I had to effectively use maybe 40% of my power to keep it in with any consistency.

Is this normal or failure to adjust?

could have been the usual combination of things: loose strings, bad day, big difference in how those rackets feel.

Yes, racket and strings do make a big difference. Some adapt better than others.

paulfreda
11-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Racquets differ enormously with regard to power and control.
More power ==> less control [depth control and sometimes direction too]
If your frame has too much power it becomes imposible to learn a full kinetic chain swing.
You are forced to punch, jab, slice or tap the ball to keep it in.

That is why adult beginners should use a players frame right from the start IMO

CallOfBooty
11-08-2009, 04:38 PM
i think rackets make a very big difference up to a certain point. if you compare a walmart racket with same specs to a nice racket by head or another top company, there will be a tremendous difference because they are made of different materials. but if you compare two rackets with the same specs (swing weight, mass, balance point, etc.), and the only difference is that they have "kfactor" material or brand new "youtek" technology, then there is minimal difference.

NoirX252
11-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I'm always wary of blaming equipment first, no matter how exped i am in a given sport (not much exp in tennis)

GuyClinch
11-09-2009, 08:39 AM
I think high level players can still play VERY well with alot of racquets. The key is if your using a more powerful racquet you have to add extra topspin in to control the ball.

That being said a good racquet for your game will get you playing your best.. So why suffer?

arnz
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
A POG and a TT Scream have at least a 2 oz difference, probably more. If you are used to playing with one, then playing the other will mess up your timing a lot