PDA

View Full Version : Should the left hand do most of the work on a two-handed backhand (for a righty)?

Claudius
11-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Or is it the other way around?

Noveson
11-08-2009, 04:01 PM
No you have it right. The off hand does the work.

EDIT: for most people. I think Agassi said he did it the other way around

myservenow
11-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I think that when my two handed BH is at its best I am concentrating on letting my left-hand (non-dominant hand) lead the stroke. I get into a groove of feeling the left hand work its way through the stroke. By concentrating on my left hand working through the stroke, it also helps me plow through the back hand as opposed to jerking the racquet up mid stroke.

I don't know if this is good advice or proper technique. I do know it seems to work for me.

darthpwner
11-08-2009, 05:44 PM
It really depends on your grip. If you use an eastern backhand grip for your right hand, then it should be more right hand dominant. If you use an extreme grip on your left hand, say western, then it is left hand dominant. Continental grip for your right hand would be left hand dominant.

fruitytennis1
11-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Mainly i hit dtl with right hand and cross-court using my left hand to pull across. Idk if thats right but i have a nasty backhand.

SystemicAnomaly
11-09-2009, 05:14 AM
Some 2-handers use the lower (dominant) had more than the upper hand.

However, a majority will have the upper (non-dom) hand do a lion's share of the work. That (upper) arm will provide most of the power transfer from the back leg and will also provide most of the upward brushing motion to produce topspin. The lower arm helps to control the swing and facilitate the body's rotation into the shot.

It really depends on your grip. If you use an eastern backhand grip for your right hand, then it should be more right hand dominant. If you use an extreme grip on your left hand, say western, then it is left hand dominant. Continental grip for your right hand would be left hand dominant.

This is probably true in most, if not all, cases.

LeeD
11-09-2009, 07:32 AM
The way that works for YOU is the best way for you to hit a two hander.
And you change as you progress (or regress), so the dominant hand can change also.

Bud
11-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Or is it the other way around?

I think that when my two handed BH is at its best I am concentrating on letting my left-hand (non-dominant hand) lead the stroke. I get into a groove of feeling the left hand work its way through the stroke. By concentrating on my left hand working through the stroke, it also helps me plow through the back hand as opposed to jerking the racquet up mid stroke.

I don't know if this is good advice or proper technique. I do know it seems to work for me.

I agree. When my 2HBH is at its best... I can feel the left hand doing the 'work'... with the right hand just there to stabilize the racquet.

However, to answer the OP's question... most of the work is done via hips and shoulder rotation. That's where the real power comes from.

papa
11-09-2009, 04:33 PM
You know, something to consider here is that the left hand does the "push" and the right the "lift". I remember from years ago, BB telling everyone the best way to practice hitting the two hander was to hit left handed ground strokes - I still think thats great advice.

Brent Pederson
11-09-2009, 04:41 PM
However, to answer the OP's question... most of the work is done via hips and shoulder rotation. That's where the real power comes from.[/QUOTE]

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Relax the hands and swing from the hips like Agassi!

Bud
11-09-2009, 06:04 PM
You know, something to consider here is that the left hand does the "push" and the right the "lift". I remember from years ago, BB telling everyone the best way to practice hitting the two hander was to hit left handed ground strokes - I still think thats great advice.

I knew I read this somewhere on the forum... and why I've been implementing it into my 2HBH practice. The more comfortable one becomes performing left-handed tasks (especially tennis related)... the easier the 2HBH becomes. This is coming from a righty, BTW :)

I've also read thing like bouncing a ball with the racquet in the left-hand (against the ground) teaches familiarity and control on that side. I think I read this in 'Tennis Mastery' by David Smith.

After nearly 2 months of dedicated TS 2HBH hitting... I find myself thinking much less, worrying much less... and just feeling the stroke.

Jaewonnie
11-09-2009, 06:06 PM
I try to involve as much as both but thats me. Dunno 'bout other ppl.

Nellie
11-09-2009, 06:16 PM
If you hit a perfect stroke, it likely does not matter whether you use the left or right hand to lead.

If you are learning, however, I find is it much easier to focus on leading with the backhand side hand.

SourStraws
11-09-2009, 06:25 PM
I use both equally when I drive through...When I go for the angle or have to pull an unorthodox shot I dominate w/ the left

S.S.

papa
11-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Well, whatever works for you. I just happen to believe that too much right hand in the process screws up the stroke. I think its more of a 80, 20% thing.

Bungalo Bill
11-10-2009, 10:20 PM
The twohanded backhand is one of those strokes that offer flexibility for the player. For many it will be a tophand dominant stroke. For others it will be a balanced hand approach. For others a bottom-hand approach.

Depending on your grips, one approach favors another but even that is adjusted by the player. For Agassi, he may use the bottom-hand more to bring the racquet forward, but he also uses his tophand to push through the ball. It is known that Agassi practiced lefthanded forehands and sometimes challenged players to beat him playing as a lefty.