PDA

View Full Version : Soderling or Verdasco ?

himynameisNIKE
11-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Who had a better year this year soderling or verdasco? Id say verdasco he followed up his Aussie open run better.

Your thoughts? :)

Max G.
11-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Verdasco, by about 400 points :-p

Compare:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Robin-Soderling.aspx?t=rb

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Fernando-Verdasco.aspx?t=rb

Baikalic
11-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Verdasco: AO SF, FO R16, Wimbledon R16, USO QF
Soderling: AO 2R, FO F, Wimbledon R16, USO QF

Based on GS performance, Soderling and Verdasco both had memorable performances; Soderling for knocking out Nadal for the first time ever at the FO, and Verdasco for bowing out to Nadal after a 5 set marathon in the best match of the tournament at the AO.

in the end I'm going to go with the points performance though, and I'll have to give it to Verdasco.

IvanAndreevich
11-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Soderling's run started much later but has been more spectacular IMO. Losing at 3 slams to only Federer. I mostly care about slams, so I'm going with Robin.

msc886
11-08-2009, 11:45 PM
I think soderling's got more game than Verdasco even though Verdasco's game looks cooler.

dropshot winner
11-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Has Verdasco beaten a top10 player this year since Murray at the AO?

CMM
11-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Tennis is a gentleman's sport, so Soderling should be doing something else.

prattle128
11-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Rankings, points, etc. All of it points to Verdasco.

Blinkism
11-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Has Verdasco beaten a top10 player this year since Murray at the AO?

Well, yeah...

He beat Tsonga at the AO..

Otherwise, his biggest wins (in terms of ranking of opponent) since have been
beating Gonzalez in Malaysia, Ferrer in Monte Carlo, Stepanek in Miami, Ferrero in Beijing, and Robredo in Valencia

Nothing even close to his performance at the AO, though

prattle128
11-08-2009, 11:54 PM
You guys will get your victory vs. a top 10 player at London from Verdasco, don't worry.

vive le beau jeu !
11-09-2009, 12:36 AM
close contest between both !

Bud
11-09-2009, 01:46 AM
As much as I dislike Soderling... he seems to have had a better year, overall.

zagor
11-09-2009, 01:50 AM
Close,I'll give edge to Soderling for reaching the slam final and beating the best claycourter since Borg in a best of five match.

As far as their games go,Verdasco's game is way more enjoyable to watch for me(his FH would be enough,my favourite to watch after Fed's),Soderling I don't particulary care about,neither for his game nor personality.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Tennis is a gentleman's sport, so Soderling should be doing something else.

So should Nadal.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 05:49 AM
As much as I dislike Soderling...
Why is that?

dropshot winner
11-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Well, yeah...

He beat Tsonga at the AO..

Otherwise, his biggest wins (in terms of ranking of opponent) since have been
beating Gonzalez in Malaysia, Ferrer in Monte Carlo, Stepanek in Miami, Ferrero in Beijing, and Robredo in Valencia

Nothing even close to his performance at the AO, though

I forgot about Tsonga.

The list of his victories isn't impressive at all, so I'd say Soderling had the better year. All Verdasco did was play amazing for two weeks, losing anyway.

CMM
11-09-2009, 06:16 AM
So should Nadal.

I guess you know about this better than me since i dont follow anything Nadal does,says,or thinks.
You're not entitled to have an opinion about Nadal.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 07:52 AM
You're not entitled to have an opinion about Nadal.

Then you should STFU about Federer you little ****

stapler
11-09-2009, 07:59 AM
As far as year goes, it's a bit hard to decide, i'll leave it as a tie. But Soderling has been the better player in the latter half of the year.

CMM
11-09-2009, 08:12 AM

I follow Federer, so my opinion is based on what I see and hear from him.
But I like your vocabulary.:) No wonder that you and Sod came from the same place.

OJ ROD
11-09-2009, 08:21 AM

This kind of post is what makes suffering all this pointless arguments worthwhile.

dropshot winner
11-09-2009, 08:21 AM
But I like your vocabulary.:) No wonder that you and Sod came from the same place.

Still bitter?

Time to get over that RG loss, it's been 6 months.

grafselesfan
11-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Verdasco is a huge mental midget which is why he will never win a slam and will max out around the quarters most times. However he is still a better player than Soderling who is vastly overhyped and not even really top 10 calibre.

dropshot winner
11-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Verdasco is a huge mental midget which is why he will never win a slam and will max out around the quarters most times. However he is still a better player than Soderling who is vastly overhyped and not even really top 10 calibre.

Yes they are both ****. No game, no talent, no brain.

Seriously, why do you even bother to write about anyone without a slam?

CMM
11-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Still bitter?

Time to get over that RG loss, it's been 6 months.
I got over that. I wasn't talking about his tennis skills. Safin said some time ago that half of the players on tour don't talk to Soderling. He doesn't answer when someone says hi and he doesn't say hello when he enters the players lounge or something like that. Nadal said that he wanted to make peace with him after that Wimbledon incident, but it was mission impossible.

dropshot winner
11-09-2009, 08:35 AM
I got over that. I wasn't talking about his tennis skills. Safin said some time ago that half of the players on tour don't talk to Soderling. He doesn't answer when someone says hi and he doesn't say hello when he enters the players lounge or something like that. Nadal said that he wanted to make peace with him after that Wimbledon incident, but it was mission impossible.

Soderling is a strange character, but he's never been an evil guy like some keep saying.

He was just not willing to take Nadal's constant time delays in that Wimbledon match, so he mocked his buttpicking (definately bad taste, but he had a point).

I just noticed that some Nadal fans have a very unhealthy and childish hate against Soderling since RG, that's why I wrote my last post.

robbie_mx
11-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Verdasco 100%, he is more competitive.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I follow Nadal to, and hope he will lose. You took what I said out of context and just put it where it fitted you the most. I wrote taht sentence to Babette 1 week ago about Wocniazki-Nadal being together or whatever.
Are you insulting my country??

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Soderling is a strange character, but he's never been an evil guy like some keep saying.

He was just not willing to take Nadal's constant time delays in that Wimbledon match, so he mocked his buttpicking (definately bad taste, but he had a point).

I just noticed that some Nadal fans have a very unhealthy and childish hate against Soderling since RG, that's why I wrote my last post.
No he is not. He WAS a strange character. He has matured like most people do.

dropshot winner
11-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Verdasco 100%, he is more competitive.
Against whom?

He can't beat Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Murray.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Oh wow welcome to the clueless club...you have no idea what you are talking about.

jamesblakefan#1
11-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Yes they are both ****. No game, no talent, no brain.

Seriously, why do you even bother to write about anyone without a slam?

Hahaha, spot on mate.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 08:46 AM
This kind of post is what makes suffering all this pointless arguments worthwhile.
Sorry about that.

CMM
11-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I follow Nadal to, and hope he will lose. You took what I said out of context and just put it where it fitted you the most. I wrote taht sentence to Babette 1 week ago about Wocniazki-Nadal being together or whatever.
Are you insulting my country??

Of course not. I just noticed that you and Soderling have things in common.
I hope that Nadal will win everytime you want him to lose.

Cesc Fabregas
11-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Oh wow welcome to the clueless club...you have no idea what you are talking about.

Why? Soderling is clearly not a top 10 caliber player, since this is supposed to be his favourite part of the year and he has stunk the place out so far.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Of course not. I just noticed that you and Soderling have things in common.
I hope that Nadal will win everytime you want him to lose.
Yes we do, great figured !
We are both Swedes, we both dislike Nadal.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Why? Soderling is clearly not a top 10 caliber player, since this is supposed to be his favourite part of the year and he has stunk the place out so far.
He is no 11 in the world after starting out the year around 40.
He beat Nadal Davydenko and Gonzalez consecutively.
"stunk the place out so far"?? He has played a lot of matches this year which he wasnt really prepared for. Right now he is still injured.

dropshot winner
11-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Soderling is #9 and he still has a chance to qualify for the WTF, it's easily possible that he stays there next year.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 08:59 AM
The Nadal Djokovic Murray fans on these boards (all aged under 25) ****es their pants if anything negative is being said, and all new good players are either "mental-midgets" (del po) or clowns (tsonga and soderling) Fantastic stuff. Great knowledge.

CMM
11-09-2009, 09:08 AM
On the other hand, Federer fans belong to a higher level. They always accept with calm when somebody has something bad to say about their beloved idol.
Get real!:mad:

Baikalic
11-09-2009, 09:10 AM
The Nadal Djokovic Murray fans on these boards (all aged under 25) ****es their pants if anything negative is being said, and all new good players are either "mental-midgets" (del po) or clowns (tsonga and soderling) Fantastic stuff. Great knowledge.

Please stop pigeonholing everyone whose favorite player is not Fed...it's just a couple people in the thread who are unreasonable, don't stoop to their level if it bothers you. be the better man =).

It disappoints me that Verdasco was unable to maintain the same high level of intensity as he was commanding at the AO. I hope he can step up a level next year and become a regular contender at the slams, because I enjoy watching his game as well.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Please stop pigeonholing everyone whose favorite player is not Fed...it's just a couple people in the thread who are unreasonable, don't stoop to their level if it bothers you. be the better man =).

It disappoints me that Verdasco was unable to maintain the same high level of intensity as he was commanding at the AO. I hope he can step up a level next year and become a regular contender at the slams, because I enjoy watching his game as well.
I usually never do.
But people should stop bashing Soderling calling him names just because he steamrolled a perfectly healthy Nadal in FO. Accept it.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 09:15 AM
On the other hand, Federer fans belong to a higher level. They always accept with calm when somebody has something bad to say about their beloved idol.
Get real!:mad:
Not at all. Djokovic definetely deserved to win in Basel yeasterday.
I even was dissapointed in Fed, he didnt look hungry at all.

CMM
11-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I usually never do.
But people should stop bashing Soderling calling him names just because he steamrolled a perfectly healthy Nadal in FO. Accept it.

I hope you're not talking about me because I never said something about Robin's tennis skills or victories.

Blinkism
11-09-2009, 09:20 AM

Not all, TMOP...

but most, probably.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I hope you're not talking about me because I never said something about Robin's tennis skills or victories.
Not at all.
I was referring to the reason why i got ****ed earlier.

Xaiks
11-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Well i'd be more interesting to see Verdasco in London than Soderling. If he's focused he could beat any of the top guys. He made Murray work hard to beat him last week in Valencia...

grafselesfan
11-09-2009, 09:49 AM
With Verdasco it is almost always the same. He will push a top player, usually get a set, then fold in crunch time of the match. The exceptions are Federer and Nadal who usually beat him with relative ease without it even getting that far. Still he is a more talented player and more fun to watch than the overhyped Soderling.

bladepdb
11-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Wow dead heat till I cast my vote for Verdasco.

I think Verdasco has shown better consistency by going deeper in all tournaments this year. Soderling, sure he had his run @ FO, but one run doesn't mean anything.

Verdasco built on his momentum and went deep in most of the tournaments he played, showing better consistency throughout the year. (At the least he has played to his seeding in most tournaments). Soderling has only been good in the latter half the of the year, when he typically is good... No real improvements from previous years.

Bjorkman & Johnny Mac
11-09-2009, 10:21 AM
I liked Verdasco's form at the AO. Very impressive and Im wondering if he actually would have beaten Roger if he got passed Nadal though I have my doubts. Soderling played pretty well overrall and did beat Nadal though Nadal may not have been in top form. But neither Verdasco or Soderling had a great season. Neither got some major wins when it mattered most. Del Potro impressed me the most. He stepped up to the plate and got a slam

jamesblakefan#1
11-09-2009, 10:40 AM
With Verdasco it is almost always the same. He will push a top player, usually get a set, then fold in crunch time of the match. The exceptions are Federer and Nadal who usually beat him with relative ease without it even getting that far. Still he is a more talented player and more fun to watch than the overhyped Soderling.

Let's see...the 'overhyped' Soderling has more career titles, more career finals, better career win pct, and has made it further in a slam than Verdasco.

But yeah, Verdasco is more 'talented', and Soderling's a no-talent hack.

FELAND123
11-09-2009, 12:15 PM
For me it's Soderling because he has only lost to two players in the grand slam this year and has followed up his success at the french better than Verdasco has followed up his Australian Open run, but that is just my opinion

Gugafan
11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Close,I'll give edge to Soderling for reaching the slam final and beating the best claycourter since Borg in a best of five match.As far as their games go,Verdasco's game is way more enjoyable to watch for me(his FH would be enough,my favourite to watch after Fed's),Soderling I don't particulary care about,neither for his game nor personality.

Second this....Though I do like watching Soderling play. Not your typical swede, he actually likes to get into opponents faces and lets his feelings be known. I also think Soderling was great at the US Open after the first two sets he was outplaying Fed, except for Fed playing a great tiebreaker in the fourth set and edging the match.

OddJack
11-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Sod had best year of his life only for beating the pirate.

Verdasco came close but could not.

T1000
11-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Soderling. He actually beat Nadal on his favorite surface compared to Verdasco who lost to Nadal on his least favorite surface

OliverSimon
11-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Soderling to me seems to have more natural talent! :D

grafselesfan
11-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Let's see...the 'overhyped' Soderling has more career titles, more career finals, better career win pct, and has made it further in a slam than Verdasco.

But yeah, Verdasco is more 'talented', and Soderling's a no-talent hack.

Verdasco played the eventual winner in the semis of his best slam showing. Soderling did not. Soderling's tennis at the French was no better than Verdasco's at Australia, which was just as insanely good if not moreso. Verdasco has many more good showings in slams than does Soderling. Soderling is actually pretty tough mentally. He is not a headcase, and is not held back by that like Verdasco is. Verdasco's actual tennis talent is definitely higher though IMO. The guy has stayed in the top 10 all year even though he is a huge mental midget who chokes away 10+ matches per year. Soderling hardly ever loses matches due to his head, just because he is outplayed. Soderling has played his his best tennis ever, has the even better single slam result and its points this year as you mentioned, yet he still is ranked below Verdasco even with all the potentially better results headcase Verdasco has blown (like he does every year) this year.

jamesblakefan#1
11-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Verdasco played the eventual winner in the semis of his best slam showing. Soderling did not. Soderling's tennis at the French was no better than Verdasco's at Australia, which was just as insanely good if not moreso. Verdasco has many more good showings in slams than does Soderling. Soderling is actually pretty tough mentally. He is not a headcase, and is not held back by that like Verdasco is. Verdasco's actual tennis talent is definitely higher though IMO. The guy has stayed in the top 10 all year even though he is a huge mental midget who chokes away 10+ matches per year. Soderling hardly ever loses matches due to his head, just because he is outplayed. Soderling has played his his best tennis ever, has the even better single slam result and its points this year as you mentioned, yet he still is ranked below Verdasco even with all the potentially better results headcase Verdasco has blown (like he does every year) this year.

Are you kidding me? Soderling did what no man had done before, beat Nadal at Roland Garros, not to mention the wins that he had vs Ferrer, Davydenko, and Gonzalez, on his least favorite surface, yet you still choose to ignore this feat and undercut it somehow? So let me get this straight, making a slam SF is more impressive than making a slam final? All while beating the GOAT on clay while doing so? Sorry, I along with others am not buying your logic.

As far as headcases, Soderling has been just as big of a headcase as Verdasco throughout his career. Take talent out of the equation, the question is, who's had the better season. I say Soderling, for that French run alone, as Verdasco hasn't done anything to distinguish himself since the AO. Verdasco's gone back to being a mental midget since AO, while Soderling looks to be headed in the right direction and seems to be a different player since his FO run.

But of course I know you harbor your secret hate for Soderling, seeing as how he took out Nadal at the French. Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

LiveForever
11-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Are you kidding me? Soderling did what no man had done before, beat Nadal at Roland Garros, not to mention the wins that he had vs Ferrer, Davydenko, and Gonzalez, on his least favorite surface, yet you still choose to ignore this feat and undercut it somehow? So let me get this straight, making a slam SF is more impressive than making a slam final? All while beating the GOAT on clay while doing so? Sorry, I along with others am not buying your logic.

As far as headcases, Soderling has been just as big of a headcase as Verdasco throughout his career. Take talent out of the equation, the question is, who's had the better season. I say Soderling, for that French run alone, as Verdasco hasn't done anything to distinguish himself since the AO. Verdasco's gone back to being a mental midget since AO, while Soderling looks to be headed in the right direction and seems to be a different player since his FO run.

But of course I know you harbor your secret hate for Soderling, seeing as how he took out Nadal at the French. Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it.
Soderling would have advanced further in the grand slams as well but he kept running into the Federer roadblock at Wimbledon and US Open.

Noveson
11-09-2009, 10:05 PM

Why do you associate age with liking Federer? "Great knowledge" doesn't even make sense. At least censor your own posts for stupid before insulting others.

Anyway my votes for Verdasco, mostly because, well I just like him more. He's left handed like me, and his game is beautiful(I ignore his serve and his lack of mental fortitude). Mostly I just feel like Soderling is an ***. At least Joker has a good enough game to talk smack to Nadal. I feel like you need to earn the right to be an ass:)

kishnabe
11-09-2009, 10:26 PM

very true, but some childish people hide the hate.

Baikalic
11-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I usually never do.

What's not to accept?

Ripster
11-09-2009, 11:47 PM

I agree with everything you said, especially about Verdasco's greater tennis talent. Even with his multiple chokes throughout the year he's still ranked higher than Soderling, and he hasn't even played to his full ability besides at the AO where some argue he even should have beat Nadal in the semis but let that one go. Soderling isn't the strongest mentality either but he has choked FAR less than Verdasco and most of his losses he usually gets spanked by someone playing way better than him.

Gen
11-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Soderling is a journeyman, hugely overrated. He has no distinctive style or a game component that would make him amazing (like Roddick's serve, Nalbandyan's BH, Nadal's passing shots, Gonzales's FH, Murray's point construction, etc.).

Verdasco's game is more entertaining, and he seems to be a nice guy unlike Soderling conveniently abbreviated to Sod in most of the internet forums. It looks like Swedish gentlemen like Stephan Edberg became extinct. We have another good example here.

Verdasco is a raw talent, and he has a future. Soderling is a mediocrity who probably has already had his best season.

There's also the ranking system to show which of them is better.

dropshot winner
11-10-2009, 01:35 AM
Soderling is a journeyman, hugely overrated. He has no distinctive style or a game component that would make him amazing (like Roddick's serve, Nalbandyan's BH, Nadal's passing shots, Gonzales's FH, Murray's point construction, etc.).

Verdasco's game is more entertaining, and he seems to be a nice guy unlike Soderling conveniently abbreviated to Sod in most of the internet forums. It looks like Swedish gentlemen like Stephan Edberg became extinct. We have another good example here.

Verdasco is a raw talent, and he has a future. Soderling is a mediocrity who probably has already had his best season.

There's also the ranking system to show which of them is better.

Like him or not, Soderling has more game than one trick pony Verdasco. Verdasco's sole career highlight will be a semifinal loss that ended with doublefaults.

TheFifthSet
11-10-2009, 01:38 AM
It's close. Verdasco is probably the better player, but Soderling has had the slightly better year (IMO.)

dropshot winner
11-10-2009, 01:46 AM
It's close. Verdasco is probably the better player, but Soderling has had the slightly better year (IMO.)

How is Verdasco the better player? He can't even beat old man Ljubicic on his favorite surface.
He has the more flashy groundstrokes, but that doesn't make him a better player.

TheFifthSet
11-10-2009, 02:02 AM
How is Verdasco the better player? He can't even beat old man Ljubicic on his favorite surface.
He has the more flashy groundstrokes, but that doesn't make him a better player.

Better FH, movement, better returner, and much better athlete = better player.

dropshot winner
11-10-2009, 02:06 AM

Most of the time Verdasco's forehand isn't much better, every good winner is usually followed by a poor error.
Movement isn't much better either, Verdasco seriously lacks some footspeed compared to other players of his size, Soderling's got a huge wingspan to compensate for his not so great movement.
Overall Soderling moves well for a guy of his size, you can't beat Nadal on clay if you move poorly.

I'll give you the return, but the truly big difference is the serve, Soderling's just in another league. Nadal was standing 10+ feet behind the baseline to return for a reason.

Baikalic
11-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Like him or not, Soderling has more game than one trick pony Verdasco. Verdasco's sole career highlight will be a semifinal loss that ended with doublefaults.

which player is the "better," the "one trick pony," or "has more game" will be decided by their legacy and accomplishments at the end of their career, not now.

the issue of which player had the "better" year currently is absolutely a matter of opinion. we can look at it in terms of GS success, #tourneys won, points earned, or attention gained.

I feel the most objective way to gauge "success" in a given year is points earned. This will be trumped by a GS win, but neither won a GS this year.

zagor
11-10-2009, 02:33 AM
Second this....Though I do like watching Soderling play. Not your typical swede, he actually likes to get into opponents faces and lets his feelings be known. I also think Soderling was great at the US Open after the first two sets he was outplaying Fed, except for Fed playing a great tiebreaker in the fourth set and edging the match.

I do think Robin has tremendous power,on a good day he's potentially able of blowin anyone away and I also like the way he played against Fed at USO this year(was the best match of the tourney for me)however his strokes just aren't that enjoyable to watch for me while Verdasco IMO has a very stylish game all around.

As for Robin's personality,he does strikes me a bit as a bully,I don't hold that against him but that the impression I always got from him.

GustafsonFanatic
11-10-2009, 02:50 AM
Verdasco was a better player before they both broke through this year, and he is still ranked above Robin.

namelessone
11-10-2009, 05:41 AM
I do think Robin has tremendous power,on a good day he's potentially able of blowin anyone away and I also like the way he played against Fed at USO this year(was the best match of the tourney for me)however his strokes just aren't that enjoyable to watch for me while Verdasco IMO has a very stylish game all around.

As for Robin's personality,he does strikes me a bit as a bully,I don't hold that against him but that the impression I always got from him.

I disagree,I don't think he is a bully or anything like that. He is just a cheater,who is also somewhat akward in the locker room from what I've heard(but I don't hold that against him). However blatantly cheating like he did in Rome made me lose the little respect I had for him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CnX6k0snxA

Regarding the topic I have to say that Soderling has weapons better designed for fast courts and has way more power than Verdasco,but the spaniards seems to me like someone who has the raw talent and potential to win a slam but is a mental midget. I know that that phrase gets thrown around a lot around here but verdasco is the biggest choke artist in the top10 IMO. His game is like a Nadal with a better serve and more penetrating shots,he has good movement also but his head always lets him down. I think both of them can grab one slam if the conditions are just right seeing as they are pretty old,both being 25 years old.

dropshot winner
11-10-2009, 05:53 AM
I disagree,I don't think he is a bully or anything like that. He is just a cheater,who is also somewhat akward in the locker room from what I've heard(but I don't hold that against him). However blatantly cheating like he did in Rome made me lose the little respect I had for him:

Regarding the topic I have to say that Soderling has weapons better designed for fast courts and has way more power than Verdasco,but the spaniards seems to me like someone who has the raw talent and potential to win a slam but is a mental midget. I know that that phrase gets thrown around a lot around here but verdasco is the biggest choke artist in the top10 IMO. His game is like a Nadal with a better serve and more penetrating shots,he has good movement also but his head always lets him down. I think both of them can grab one slam if the conditions are just right seeing as they are pretty old,both being 25 years old.

No, his movement is note even close to Nadal's, neither are his defensive capabilites, his forehand is flatter but much more inconsistent, his backhand is often hit-n-miss, his 1st serve can be big, but he often throws in some WTA-like 2nd serves (incl. double faults in the worst moments). Nadal's clutch, Verdasco's the opposite.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Why do you associate age with liking Federer? "Great knowledge" doesn't even make sense. At least censor your own posts for stupid before insulting others.

Anyway my votes for Verdasco, mostly because, well I just like him more. He's left handed like me, and his game is beautiful(I ignore his serve and his lack of mental fortitude). Mostly I just feel like Soderling is an ***. At least Joker has a good enough game to talk smack to Nadal. I feel like you need to earn the right to be an ass:)
Most Fed fans followed tennis since at least 2003-2004, the impression i get is that the Djokovic-fans started following tennis in Feb 2008, the Nadal fans in July 2008 and God knows about the Murray fans.
They have no idea what happened before this, that tennis was still played!?:shock: Totally clueless! Not all of course, but many.
Soderling is an *** vs Nadal, which he has EVERY right to be

CMM
11-10-2009, 06:12 AM
Soderling is an *** vs Nadal, which he has EVERY right to be
Right. :roll:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Right. :roll:
Thats how i feel about it, the Wimbledon incident was Nadals fault imo, Soderling could have gone taking a cofee also after he changed his racket.

CMM
11-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Thats how i feel about it, the Wimbledon incident was Nadals fault imo, Soderling could have gone taking a cofee also after he changed his racket.
Of course.:rolleyes:
I believe that Soderling can't stand Rafa because they are too different.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-10-2009, 06:29 AM
Of course.:rolleyes:
I believe that Soderling can't stand Rafa because they are too different.
Soderling has got balls! He is the only one who dares to question Nadals on court behaviour, I laughed for 20 min when he gave himself a parody-wedgie in Wimbledon and also came really close to spanking Nadal. He saved that for this years FO instead.

NamRanger
11-10-2009, 06:36 AM

If this was true than many players are better players than Andy Roddick yet they are ranked below him.

CMM
11-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Nadal is a nice person, Soderling is a bad person and a cheater.
And I hope that he will not qualify for the WTF.

flying24
11-10-2009, 07:02 AM
If this was true than many players are better players than Andy Roddick yet they are ranked below him.

Roddick has an out of the World serve. Soderling has a great serve, but still not the extreme difference maker to the extent of Roddick's serve.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Nadal is a nice person, Soderling is a bad person and a cheater.
And I hope that he will not qualify for the WTF.
Nadal is a cheater, a juicer, a buttpicker and a time-delayer who is nice to everyone-when he wins.
Thats because Soderling is gonna spank Nadal if they meet in YEC.

tennis angel
11-10-2009, 07:10 AM
I go with Verdasco

CMM
11-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Nadal is a cheater, a juicer, a buttpicker and a time-delayer who is nice to everyone-when he wins.
Sure. But Nadal is nice to everyone, even with the evil Sod.:D

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-10-2009, 07:26 AM
I dont think he is, when he loses he whines about everything from the crowd to God knows what

jamesblakefan#1
11-10-2009, 08:08 AM
It's not nice to call either Nadal or Soderling 'evil', as no one on these boards truly knows either guy. A few on court actions does not paint a guy for life, is Fed an *****hole after his on court rant at the USO final?

Soderling seemed like a nice guy during the FO trophy ceremony,and a lot of the haters had nice words for him after that, but as always time opens up old wounds, and some bitter people just can't get over him taking down Rafa at the French, at least that's what it seems.

Cesc Fabregas
11-10-2009, 08:16 AM

Soderling wont get to the YEC, Verdasco will. Infact Soderling will never make the YEC in his career because his ranking is going to drop like a stone when he fails to defend his RG final.

aphex
11-10-2009, 08:22 AM

Soderling wont get to the YEC, Verdasco will. Infact Soderling will never make the YEC in his career because his ranking is going to drop like a stone when he fails to defend his RG final.

nevar forget

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/images/stories/large/2009/06/01/soderling.jpg

http://crackofdawn.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/29.jpg

dropshot winner
11-10-2009, 08:25 AM
nevar forget

To really **** them of, you should've used the follwing pic. Nadal tried to run while still in the air and fell over, the slowmo looked hilarious.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3BaJMgGKAmE/SiPwaDKODrI/AAAAAAAAKbU/4VsbVeP0_iI/s320/down+goes+nadal.jpg

aphex
11-10-2009, 08:30 AM
To really **** them of, you should've used the follwing pic. Nadal tried to run while still in the air and fell over, the slowmo looked hilarious.

oh, ok:):)

http://www.gototennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/rafael_nadal_loses_french_open.jpg

aphex
11-10-2009, 08:31 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42454000/jpg/_42454154_soderling_getty.jpg

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-10-2009, 08:43 AM
nevar forget

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/images/stories/large/2009/06/01/soderling.jpg

http://crackofdawn.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/29.jpg
Thank you aphex for contributing with these lovely pictures !
Timeless and priceless

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-10-2009, 08:44 AM
You dont know that, as far as I know there is a tournamnet in Bercy right now...
He might not defend his runner-up but he will do really good in AO instead, wait and see.

aphex
11-10-2009, 08:52 AM
You dont know that, as far as I know there is a tournamnet in Bercy right now...
He might not defend his runner-up but he will do really good in AO instead, wait and see.

don't listen to them magician...robin has been the 3rd-4th best player in the world since june 2009---
he was just unlucky that he kept running into fed all the time...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-10-2009, 09:05 AM
don't listen to them magician...robin has been the 3rd-4th best player in the world since june 2009---
he was just unlucky that he kept running into fed all the time...
I totally agree, for 3 months Fed was the only player Soderling lost to!
Madrid FO and Wimbledon, then he won Bastad, had to retire in the QF in Washington vs Del Po and he ran into Fed AGAIN in the USO and 2 weeks ago he had to withdraw in Stockholm Open SF (Imo he would have won it) with an arm-injury because he didnt wanna risk missing Bercy. I dont understand why people dont give Soderling more credit :evil:

CMM
11-10-2009, 09:09 AM
You just don't get it, do you?
Soderling beat Nadal at RG. Good for him. I don't have a problem with that.
The fact is that the guy is an a**hole. No more, no less. The players are saying that and it's pretty obvious. And I would have said the same thing even if he wouldn't have defeated Rafa. By the way, Rafa looks lovely in pink, don't you think?:D
Rafa is already a legend in tennis. Soderling is just the guy who beat the 4 times champion. Yeeeeey for him! Too bad that no one will remember his name nor his impressive game after a few years.
And of course that I could post some "nice" pictures with the GOAT, but I won't. It's pretty stupid.

aphex
11-10-2009, 09:11 AM
i have a swedish friend over here--he says hej trollkarl!

aphex
11-10-2009, 09:12 AM
The fact is that the guy is an a**hole. No more, no less. The players are saying that and it's pretty obvious. And I would have said the same thing even if he wouldn't have defeated Rafa. By the way, Rafa looks lovely in pink, don't you think?:D
Rafa is already a legend in tennis. Soderling is just the guy who beat the 4 times champion. Yeeeeey for him! Too bad that no one will remember his name nor his impressive game after a few years.
And of course that I could post some "nice" pictures with the GOAT, but I won't. It's pretty stupid.

what players??what are you talking about? sources? or are you just talking out
of you *****??

LiveForever
11-10-2009, 09:12 AM
While Soderling is a great player and deserved his win over Nadal at FO. I dont think we should celebrate Nadal's failures like many in this thread are doing now. Nadal was a great RG champion and his run came to an end just like Federer's US open run came to a halt due to Juan Martins huge forehands.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Soderling is an a-hole among Internet Nadal-fans! We can agree on that, evceryone matures. He WAS an a-hole when he was younger, but most ppl mature, even you are gonna experience that.
No no no, Soderling was THE man who started Nadals downfall in tennis.
There you have it.
No I dont think he does.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-10-2009, 09:14 AM
he says hej trollkarl!
Lol :):twisted:

The-Champ
11-10-2009, 06:31 PM
All great players have lost matches against nobodies!

For Rafa, the nobody happened to be söderling.

Blake0
11-10-2009, 07:01 PM
A hard pick, but i gotta go with the guy who beat nadal on clay.

TheFifthSet
11-10-2009, 09:24 PM
All great players have lost matches against nobodies!

For Rafa, the nobody happened to be söderling.

Soderling has won 4 singles titles, had MP against Federer ON GRASS in '05, had BP to serve for the match at Wimby two years ago vs. Rafa, almost took Federer to five at this year's US Open, and has a Slam Final/QF under his belt, beating Nadal, Davy (twice), Ferrer, Gonzalez, and an on-fire Querrey along the way.

Yeah, a real nobody.

Blinkism
11-10-2009, 09:29 PM
^^ before beating Nadal at the FO, he was kind of a nobody, though.

Just another average Top 40 player, but not quite Top 10 material..

DavidGarcia
11-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I am going to London and wanna see that massive Verdasco's forehand live! I already saw Sorderling in Roland Garros 2008 and he was a total JOKE. Lost against Julien Benneteau being a total idiot going against the crowd and all that. Pathetic!

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I am going to London and wanna see that massive Verdasco's forehand live! I already saw Sorderling in Roland Garros 2008 and he was a total JOKE. Lost against Julien Benneteau being a total idiot going against the crowd and all that. Pathetic!

The only joke is YOU! In case you have missed it-Soderling is a different player now

DavidGarcia
11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
The only joke is YOU! In case you have missed it-Soderling is a different player now

Nice to know that he's changed and is a total different player because that day in Paris he acted like a spoiled 5 years old kid. He was a very very bad loser......and I really hate bad losers. They are professional tennis players they need to know how to take defeats.

Because I was there and watched that match only I and the rest of the crowd know how childish he acted. Just for you to imagine the scene he did the same than Almagro today but for longer..... and insulting the crowd.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Nice to know that he's changed and is a total different player because that day in Paris he acted like a spoiled 5 years old kid. He was a very very bad loser......and I really hate bad losers. They are professional tennis players they need to know how to take defeats.

Because I was there and watched that match only I and the rest of the crowd know how childish he acted. Just for you to imagine the scene he did the same than Almagro today but for longer..... and insulting the crowd.
Yes i know! Since i am Swedish, and he got bashed for it in Sweden!
Everyone deserves a second chance and one should forgive and forget.

DavidGarcia
11-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Yeap yeap you are right. I admit all matches which I've seen from him this year he has been a total different player.
I really disliked him a the beginning the season due to that experience in Paris but I have to say that he's change my mind this year.

I only meant to say that he was a joke that date in Paris that because I have already seen him and I've never seen Verdasco live I'd rather have Verdasco in London. I did not mean to come across as a Sordeling hater. Perhaps I used the wrong words!

CMM
11-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeap yeap you are right. I admit all matches which I've seen from him this year he has been a total different player.
I really disliked him a the beginning the season due to that experience in Paris but I have to say that he's change my mind this year.

I only meant to say that he was a joke that date in Paris that because I have already seen him and I've never seen Verdasco live I'd rather have Verdasco in London. I did not mean to come across as a Sordeling hater. Perhaps I used the wrong words!

DavidGarcia
11-11-2009, 10:43 AM

Uuuuu...that was bad! I better shut my mouth up next time.

tahiti
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
I think Verdasco has been more consistent and I'd really love to see him in the London finals. He deserves it.

Blinkism
11-11-2009, 11:02 AM

I am for that.

It's hard to forget his rudeness at Wimbledon, the incident in Paris, and his cheating in Rome

BUT

Maybe Magnus Norman whupped some sense into him, so it's fair to give him a chance.

He's got a good game. Technique's kind of awkward, but it gets the job done.

dantheman
11-11-2009, 04:09 PM
soderling because he has the game to beat top 8 people
verdasco is having a hard time keeping up with top 8 people

Gugafan
11-11-2009, 07:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcc0u8fNoY

(Nadal vs Soderling French Open HD)...Great camera angles.

flying24
11-12-2009, 06:17 AM
soderling because he has the game to beat top 8 people
verdasco is having a hard time keeping up with top 8 people

This is true. Everytime Verdasco plays a top 8 player and has chances to win he chokes. If he drops outside the top 8 in the rankings it will be hard for him to even get past round of 16s since he doesnt seem mentally strong enough to beat anyone ranked above him.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-12-2009, 06:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcc0u8fNoY

(Nadal vs Soderling French Open HD)...Great camera angles.
Great video! Never seen before, this clearly shows that Nadal was no2 on EVERY shot and his movement was just fine, he was running like a chased rabbit all the time.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-12-2009, 06:55 AM
I am for that.

It's hard to forget his rudeness at Wimbledon, the incident in Paris, and his cheating in Rome

BUT

Maybe Magnus Norman whupped some sense into him, so it's fair to give him a chance.

He's got a good game. Technique's kind of awkward, but it gets the job done.

Isnt Nadls technique awkward?? It is.
Magnus Norman DID whip a lot of sense in him,trust me!
The Wimbledon incident-Nadal deserved that, Soderling did what noone else on the ATP-tour dares to do, well done imo.
The Paris incident-Yes, that was embarassing by Soderling, i felt really ashamed about it.
The Rome incident-ever heard of sarcasm?? He wasnt serious

jamesblakefan#1
11-25-2009, 09:01 AM
YEC: Soderling 2-0 Verdasco 0-2

Just saying....

MuseFan
11-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Soderling is not yoking anymore...

FedSampras1
11-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Soderling >>> Mierdasco :)

T1000
11-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Apparently Soderling just a tad better

tudwell
11-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Soderling just beat two of the top three without dropping a set. :shock:

namelessone
11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Soderling just beat two of the top three without dropping a set. :shock:

His win over Rafa shouldn't be a surprise since this is indoors after all but he did well to beat Djoker. It's funny that this is the second breadstick soderling served djoker in a couple of weeks,after paris.

jamesblakefan#1
11-25-2009, 09:47 AM

You. Are. WRONG.

Very WRONG.

Dgpsx7
11-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Verdasco's match with Nadal at the AO ws one of the best matches I have ever seen but since I feel like Soderling's achievements have been more memorable because even when they got knocked out the same round Soderling wen't out guns blazing and I feel a Grand Slam Final is much more significant than a couple quarters or even semis. Conquering your whole side of the draw is extremely difficult to do. The world tour finals this year proves it.

Otherside
11-25-2009, 10:44 AM
with Ferdasco you can almost feel that he is going to miss when the points get important, going into the tiebreaker against del potro there was no doubt in my mind that he was going to loose,
with soderling I dont get that feeling anymore, he plays solid on the important points, even played great in the tiebreaker aganinst Djoko.

So in my mind Sody clearly has a brighter future than than Nando, I have been careful cheering on my fellow swede Sody as one of the big, I remember the hause about Bjorkman after his -97 season and he did nothing after that but with Soderling I think he is here to stay, Nando will sadly be a choker as it seems, loosing those tight matches one after another is really hurting him.