PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Big-serving Aussies...

Jonny S&V
11-09-2009, 08:03 AM
From Tennis AU:

"Former world No.8 Alicia Molik has set her sights on contesting all four grand slams in 2010 as her tennis comeback slowly gains momentum.

Molik has played a number of events on the Australian Pro Tour ending her seven-month retirement in April, winning an ITF event in Darwin and reaching the final in two other tournaments.

The 28-year-old, now based in Perth, is currently ranked 308 in the world but is eyeing a return to the top 100 next year as she attempts to gain entry into January's Australian Open through December's wildcard playoffs.

"I think my goal next year is to play in all the grand slams, to be in a position where I can contest the French Open, Wimbledon, US Open, Australian Open," Molik said.

"To do that I need to be sitting on 100 or just inside.

"That would be a pretty achievable goal given the way I'm been playing at the moment.

"I still feel like I can trouble a lot of girls in the top 20, 30 in the world.

"On a pretty good day I know I can still have decent results against the likes of the Williams sisters.

"And the game is really open now, that's what I've realised watching women's tennis over the past 12, 24 months.

"I still feel like I've got a little bit left to give in the sport."

Molik had the tennis world at her feet when she cracked the world's top 10 in 2005.

But she was forced to take a break from the game after succumbing to a serious inner-ear infection that affected her balance and energy levels.

While she was able to return to the circuit in 2006, a series of injuries, including a chronic elbow complaint, convinced Molik to retire in September last year.

But Molik, a bronze medallist at the 2004 Athens Olympics, said her break from the game had left her mentally refreshed and injury free.

"It [the comeback] has been going great so far," Molik told ABC radio.

"Only two months ago I had a ranking of zero and I've managed to more than half that in four or five events.

"I'm feeling pretty fit.

"I feel I've done all the hard work so between now and ... the Australian Open all I'll be focusing on is the tennis aspect."

Meanwhile, world No.13 Sam Stosur said the monkey was finally off her back after breaking through for her maiden WTA Tournament title with victory at the Japan Open last month.

And the 25-year-old, who had lost her previous five finals, believed the triumph was the confidence-boost needed for a successful Australian Open campaign.

"I think I've got a really good chance there [at Melbourne Park]," Stosur said.

"Being seeded in the top 16 is a nice feeling and hopefully I can still be there in the second week.

"It [the win in Japan] has been great for my confidence.

"It was something I had been trying to do for a long time and I'm just pleased now I can tick that one off.""

http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=638

Jonny S&V
11-09-2009, 08:08 AM
She's also been doing pretty well in the four challengers that she entered:

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/Player/Activity/0,,12781~5498,00.html

15-0
11-09-2009, 08:47 PM
I hope she gets back in top 100 she has got one the best serves in the wta.