PDA

View Full Version : Strategy question?

PWS4me
11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
What is the best strategy to play on tour?

Given the bracket system, assuming the player reaches the final, and furthermore the player wants to repeat his success against the same players in the future, how should one go about the strategy?

I guess one thing is to develop a skill or a weapon that completely dominates the competition and not worry about strategy or what the other player thinks.

Or two, do you brown nose the opposition before and after each match so that your victory does not appear to offend the opponent? This way the competition will not work any harder than necessary nor use anything other motivating factors during your match.

I have never seen a champion motivate his competition and still win,
except in boxing and he's the greatest, but that's another sport.

papa
11-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Ever hear of "waking up the bear" - can happen in a match or from one event to another. Let your play do the talking and keep your mouth and any others actions (on or off the court) out of it. In the service we used to have an expression - "loose lips sink ships". Nice (necessary) to be confident but keep it too yourself and everything seems to work out just fine.

LuckyR
11-10-2009, 08:26 AM
What is the best strategy to play on tour?

Given the bracket system, assuming the player reaches the final, and furthermore the player wants to repeat his success against the same players in the future, how should one go about the strategy?

I guess one thing is to develop a skill or a weapon that completely dominates the competition and not worry about strategy or what the other player thinks.

Or two, do you brown nose the opposition before and after each match so that your victory does not appear to offend the opponent? This way the competition will not work any harder than necessary nor use anything other motivating factors during your match.

I have never seen a champion motivate his competition and still win,
except in boxing and he's the greatest, but that's another sport.

By the time a player is in the position you describe: worrying about finals of tour events, they have ground their way through more events than you can shake a stick at. They are well over worrying about the mental state of their opposition and they are doing whatever suits them best. If their natural personality is humble (verbally) then that's what they should do. If their natural personality is brash and braggy, then that's what they should do. This isn't the schoolyard...

PWS4me
11-10-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree that to each his own.

But don't the game some what suffer from lack of hype?

Nadal vs Soderling

old Hewitt vs Federer

Agassi vs Becker

Sampras vs Courier

Wilander vs Lendl

These matchups had a bit more than just on court rivalries.

Anyway I think most tour players today are smart in their approach to the competition.