PDA

View Full Version : Change my grip?

FedExpress117
11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm using something between a SW and a Western. If I went SW, I'd get all the advantages like taking low balls easier and hitting flat balls. The only advantage I have with this grip is that it's not a full Western.
http://i34.tinypic.com/2lz02h.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/actxll.jpg
My index finger knuckle is not on that 5th bezel (but to the right of it), and doing so would keep my palm from facing upwards on shots. I feel like I want to "push" straight through the ball on a lot of shots but my grip is so awkward that a lot my shots mishit. I'm a 3.5 and have been playing for a year and a half, 18 years old (kind of hard to switch now!), but I'm really considering it. With this grip, at what height would I keep my racquet before I follow above my shoulder? With a true SW, where would I keep my racquet?

Shogun_G
11-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I use semi-western.

halalula1234
11-10-2009, 03:41 AM
i use eastern, easy to push through the ball and can still create plenty of spin with the right timing u should try it

Slazenger07
11-10-2009, 08:51 AM
I use eastern too, used to use full western, but its too limiting. Eastern is the best grip for the forehand imo cause you can hit through the ball easily and whip up the back of it for heavy spin, in fact I hit more topspin on my forehand than anybody Ive ever played, even guys that use western grips.

LeeD
11-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I use about the same grip, left handed, and tend to hit FLATTISH forehands with lots of pace and little spin. When I WW the finish, the spin comes, the speed goes, but the net clearance goes higher so the ball still lands deep.
Big switch to volley conti grip (slight twist towards forehand), serve grip (conti with backhand flavor), and offensive slice grip (about yours).

mike53
11-10-2009, 10:54 AM
With this grip, at what height would I keep my racquet before I follow above my shoulder? With a true SW, where would I keep my racquet?

With your grip I would be looking to contact the ball at the height of my solar plexus and about the length of my forearm in front of my shoulder.

With the less extreme SW, I would look for contact at the bottom of my ribcage and 12 inches in front of my shoulder.

At the bottom of my backswing, I hold the racquet head at mid thigh and I finish with the racquet head over my shoulder and usually over my head.

You should feel free to try all different grips and swing arcs. Find the ones that work really well for you and practice them until you are 100% with that shot.

paulfreda
11-10-2009, 03:35 PM
The general rule is that the more extreme the grip, the higher and the more forward the ideal contact point is.
Western/Hawaiian; high and well forward
Continental; low [waist level] and back near body

Experiment and find the ideal points for you and your swing.