PDA

View Full Version : Best return of serve grip?

Shogun_G
11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
What do you think is the best grip for return of serve? My guess is eastern because the contact point gives you more time to react. Then again, some serve have high bounces, which I heard the semi-western is better for.

Geezer Guy
11-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Depends on the serve coming at you. Use your regular forehand grip if it comes to your forehand. Use your regular backhand if it comes to your backhand. Use the Contenintal if it comes in too fast to decide and adjust.

Noveson
11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
What do you think is the best grip for return of serve? My guess is eastern because the contact point gives you more time to react. Then again, some serve have high bounces, which I heard the semi-western is better for.

The same grip you normally use. Are you talking about before the person serves? Or what you hit the ball with?

To the former continental, so you can always block/slice it back if it's a good serve. To the latter, whatever grip you normally use on groundstrokes.

Shogun_G
11-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Depends on the serve coming at you. Use your regular forehand grip if it comes to your forehand. Use your regular backhand if it comes to your backhand. Use the Contenintal if it comes in too fast to decide and adjust.
That's good advice i usually hit with semi-western.

Noveson
11-09-2009, 08:58 PM

Way to make my post seem unnecessarily complicated haha. Good job

LeeD
11-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Geezer guys has it down.
Complicated. You dink? What if you have a weak forehand? We didn't know. What if you only dinked your backhands? Did we know?
Of course tennis is complicated. If you want simple on your technical mind, try weightlifting.

Ripper014
11-10-2009, 12:03 PM
I myself think tennis can be simple but people try and make it harder than it needs to be.

But back to the topic... I used a eastern forehand grip on returns because a higher percentage of balls I anticipate will be hit on that side. You can switch grips faster than taking your racket back (or in my case as I take it back) so that should not be an issue. I only use two grips... eastern grip for my forehand as mentioned and something between a continental/eastern backhand grip for everything else. Keeps everything simple... and versatile.

LeeD
11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I haven't played hardly any players who'd be dumb enough to constantly serve to my forehand (thos I'm lefty), so you'd think a backhand grip would be my grip of choice for service returns. Mostly 75% of opponent's serves go to my backhand. Think I should use a backhand grip?
Well, I don't. I hold SW forehand, knowing it's easier to change grips with the two handed takeback needed to hit my one handed backhand.. :shock:. Of course, I use the right hand (off hand) only till the racket faces 90 degrees to the right (remember I'm lefty). Then the grip change is done.
Really high balls, like bouncing over my head, I slice the forehand with SW grip and slice the backhand with SW backhand. Lower balls, normally topspin short prep forehand and SW grip backhand tops.
Tentative, underspin conti gripped return of serves.

Ripper014
11-10-2009, 01:02 PM
I haven't played hardly any players who'd be dumb enough to constantly serve to my forehand (thos I'm lefty), so you'd think a backhand grip would be my grip of choice for service returns. Mostly 75% of opponent's serves go to my backhand. Think I should use a backhand grip?
Well, I don't. I hold SW forehand, knowing it's easier to change grips with the two handed takeback needed to hit my one handed backhand.. :shock:. Of course, I use the right hand (off hand) only till the racket faces 90 degrees to the right (remember I'm lefty). Then the grip change is done.
Really high balls, like bouncing over my head, I slice the forehand with SW grip and slice the backhand with SW backhand. Lower balls, normally topspin short prep forehand and SW grip backhand tops.
Tentative, underspin conti gripped return of serves.

People who know me will not serve to my backhand.. though one handed I have as much power but more variety and consistancy off of it (maybe I am just less agressive with it). I can consistantly take a high ball and slice it tight to the net and on your foot. I can step in and hit over it... or you can just blast it by me. But either way I make more errors off my forehand side.

I also play the duece side of the court usually in doubles not because I have a strong forehand... but strong backhand... I like to play with strength up the middle of the court.

LeeD
11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Maybe if your competition is better, you'd not think your're all world like you do right now.
Face some top rightie serve up the T to your backhand, and you'd sing a different tune.
OR.... you could possibly be better than Federer but haven't played the tour yet.... :shock::shock:

Ripper014
11-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Maybe if your competition is better, you'd not think your're all world like you do right now.
Face some top rightie serve up the T to your backhand, and you'd sing a different tune.
OR.... you could possibly be better than Federer but haven't played the tour yet.... :shock::shock:

If I was good enough to be playing with Federer I would not be talking to you... I don't think I am all world... but I am capable, when I was still playing I was playing with Open Players (6.0 I am guessing in todays ratings) that would serve up to about 125mph up the middle and if I blinked it would hit the fence before I could react (or a better way of putting it didn't react). I am 50 now... just getting back into the game... and playing against the top players at a club... I am still very competitive. I played against a young man last Sunday who probably served in the 110-115 range on both serves (doesn't seem to believe in a second serve, but it works for him) and had no problems breaking him on each service game.

Like I said don't assume you know me. I don't criticize your abilities.

Tim Tennis
11-10-2009, 04:16 PM
My pick would be the Continental grip. Learn to return both forehands and backhands with it. At the lower levels of tennis you have time to change grips but as you progress and play better competition you will not have time to change grips against a good server.

Best regards

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com

papa
11-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Well, I don't know about some of these answers because there are so many variables. I would favor either cheating a little to your weaker side (distance, stance, etc) and depending on your grips favoring, to some extent, the weaker wing also. Nobody going to give you many serves to your forehand. The reality is they are either going for your weaker side (generally the backhand), serving wide or going right at you. Waiting with a forehand grip might sound nice but be realistic - good players aren't going to give you that chance to pound the ball back. Wish they would but it doesn't work that way.

So I think you should get prepared to receive serve in your weakest area. Do yourself a favor and get turned a spec and get you hands ready - in other words, expect the ball there. If it isn't, great - the server screwed up and you pound the ball.

komodo16
11-10-2009, 06:02 PM
when the guy is about to serve im holding the racquet with my forehand grip on my dominant hand and my backhand grip on my other hand and if the serve catches me by surprise just adjust it to conti

11-10-2009, 06:09 PM

I like the eastern as it is good for working against a hard flat serve and works ok for the 2hander. If there is more time like a higher bounce, I can slide to simi very easily or fine tune the Bh grip.

aimr75
11-10-2009, 06:18 PM
i have a 1hbh with an eastern grip and also use an eastern on the forehand.. i use the continental grip since i can either block it back on the backhand side or with a small turn on either side gets me to my forehand or topspin backhand grip

Tilden
11-10-2009, 08:14 PM
The serve of return grip I use depends on the type of player Im facing and whether or not it is a 2nd serve. Generally when facing faster servers, 90-115, I use both of my hands. My lower dominant hand holding the grip eastern leading towards continental(so I can slice) and my upper hands fingers resting on the grip with the fingertips resting on the grip. This changes when the mphs go down. When the serves slows down I transition to my rally forehand grip on the bottom(Semi-Western) and still keep my fingertips resting on my grip. For players more stronger than me(I'm only 15 and I cant "muscle" the ball consistently) it is easier to use the rally forehand grip for all returns. Simply put, use what feels comfortable and allows you the greatest possibility of putting the serve back into play while creating an uncomfortable situation for your opponent.

KenC
11-10-2009, 10:23 PM
That's good advice i usually hit with semi-western.

With a true SW grip you don't technically have to change grips based on whether it is to the FH or BH. Have you ever experimented with holding a racquet in the SW FH position and then if it comes to the BH just twist your wrist so that it is in perfect position for a BH?

This only works if you use a true SW grip. I use an extreme eastern and if I flip my wrist it becomes an extreme SW grip on my BH which is very uncomfortable. But, this possibility to just flip the wrist is very helpful on service returns where time is very limited.

samster
11-11-2009, 03:45 PM

My preferred grip is eastern because I hit with a Eastern forehand and I tend to slice on the backhand with eastern grip.

papa
11-12-2009, 05:29 PM
My preferred grip is eastern because I hit with a Eastern forehand and I tend to slice on the backhand with eastern grip.

Well, there you go - a man of few words but he tells it like it is - bravo.

fruitytennis1
11-12-2009, 07:47 PM
If im playing some 1 with a serve about 100+(yes i know the speed im talking about) ill switch to conti because of my bad right wrist. Ahh im 14 and i already have a bad wrist...