PDA

View Full Version : Federer's Loss in Basel

gowrath
11-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Excerpt from www.atpblogger.com:

"Could Federer’s loss to Djokovic be any indication that Federer is not the player he was a year ago?

To answer this question, let’s probe the perspectives of three players: Nalbandian(Federer’s contemporary and adequate rival in terms of head-to-head), Federer himself, and finally the winner of the match, Djokovic.

Last year at Basel, Federer won in emphatic fashion, 6-3, 6-4 over David Nalbandian.

Nalbandian, last year’s Basel finalist, commended Roger’s play as “almost perfect”3

Additionally, Federer lost just seven points on his serve in the entire match.4"

Read the full article (http://www.atpblogger.com)

What are your guys' thoughts on Federer's recent loss? Does it mean anything? Even when he took a few weeks off, skipping Tokyo and Shanghai?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-10-2009, 01:29 PM
It means he did a VERY GOOD 1st tournament not having played since the weekend after the USO and that was on clay!

Blinkism
11-10-2009, 01:31 PM
It probably doesn't mean much.

The time he took off probably made him just a bit rusty so I think we'll see a much more in-form Federer in Paris.

Now, whether or not he'll win Paris is another question. It depends on how in-form his rivals will be, I think.

Also, to your other question- I think Federer is a better player this year in terms of focus and strategy. He looks like he's much more determined on court and is more of a "sure thing" than he was last year.

Whether or not he's better technique-wise or physically? I don't see a huge difference.

Oldracquet27
11-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I am making sure i will have enough videos of him to show to my children when they grow up and hear about him. The guy has set the bar soo but soo high in tennis that he gets to the final of almost every tournament he enters, normally wins all, and when he lose a final , we are questioning what might be going wrong with his game and so on. That i call GREATNESS......

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
He simply refused to make an adjustment on his forehand. He must have dumped 30 fh into the net. Give it some more clearence Jesus.

dextor
11-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Djokovic played amazing in that match. Roger was playing alright, but dumped too many balls into the net at crucial moments.

ArchEtech
11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Djokovic is a good player.....

OddJack
11-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I disagree with the writer,

Djoker played good, but it was Rodge who played below his level. If he played the same FH last year, Nalby would've beaten him too.

P_Agony
11-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Well, not surprising considering last year's match was probably Fed's best performence of 2008. When Fed's in this kind of form he's unstoppable.

In this year's tourney he:

1) Didn't play since DC.
2) Didn't have a good competition before the final.
3) Served great in the toruney, but otherwise was very passive and was never really impressive.

All-rounder
11-11-2009, 05:26 AM
Its funny these were the same statements being made after 2008 then fed goes on to win 2 slams in 2009

dantheman
11-11-2009, 03:08 PM
djokovic was just playing well when he needed to
federer was coming out of a break at the same time
not playing a tournament since US OPEN

OddJack
11-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Its funny these were the same statements being made after 2008 then fed goes on to win 2 slams in 2009

Yep, abolutely.

Ill wishers cant help it. They will repeat it till it happens, eventually.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Embarassing to lose in your hometown when your the GOAT.

CyBorg
11-12-2009, 04:51 PM
It means he did a VERY GOOD 1st tournament not having played since the weekend after the USO and that was on clay!

You should quit drinking.