PDA

View Full Version : Switch Doubles Partner?

USCfan
04-16-2005, 10:37 AM
So far this season, I (number 2 singles) have played with the number three kid on our team... he's decent in singles, and he's a friend of mine, but I can't stand playing doubles with him...Every match, I have to try and win "in spite of" him rather than with him. He's just a horrible doubles player. I never requested a different partner just because he's a nice kid.

Recently he challenged me for my no. 2 singles spot. I won the first set 6-0
He started putting himself down ("I stink, I can't hit, I suck," etc.) and it was driving me nuts. Anyhow, I felt sorry for him and let him have the second set 6-1 (I figured a straight-sets whipping would be bad for his health and he wouldn't drive safely).

Third set- he started getting cocky and cheating me with bad line calls, so I called the assistant coach over to referee. I hit a forehand winner on the line, which the kid called out. The coach was standing on the side of the court away from where I hit it and couldn't overrule the call. So I laughed, blasted the next serve, crushed a crosscourt forehand and closed out the game with a backhand volley winner which landed right next to my coach? He tried calling that one out too, but it was immediately overruled. Anyway, I took the set 6-2. He blasted a ball into the woods, left without shaking hands, and informed our head coach that he wouldn't be at our next match.

So I'm not sure we can continue to play doubles together...My coach asked me if I would rather play with our number one-I told him I'd love to-but won't complain if he still wants me to play with our no. 3 kid. Seriously, I think there's too much tension right now for us to be an effective doubles team. It would probably be better for both of us if we switched partners...what do you guys think?

supersmash
04-16-2005, 11:54 AM
i think you hurt his feelings. go up to him and say, "i'm sorry you suck."

whitechocolatespaceegg
04-16-2005, 12:02 PM
He sounds like a little brat...He shouldn't even be on the team, IMO

USCfan
04-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Actually, I may have hurt his feelings when I called our assistant coach over ( "I'm not cheating, really.").

SaritaUTHorns
04-16-2005, 12:59 PM
I agree with whitechocolatespaceegg. He does sound like a brat. We had a couple of people like that on my high school team and it always created a lot of tension among us. If you're always gonna be tense and stressed playing with him, you shouldn't play with him anymore. What if it brings your own game down just by being around that kind of attitude?

USCfan
04-16-2005, 04:07 PM
He is a brat sometimes...he's very predictable though...I told my coach the day before that I had no problem with the challenge, but it had better be finished in one day no "I'm not feeling good, let's finish it later..." or "I'm tired, but since I'm up 5-2, I won and you lost..." My coach agreed that we should make sure of that.

Sure enough, the match would've been stretched out if I hadn't made my concerns clear in the beginnig. After the first set bagel, the kid wanted to leave ("If I play like crap the first game of this set, I'm leaving."). He then asked me if we could hit some groundies before the second set-stalling again. Normally I'd never agree to such a request, but I intended to tank the set anyway, so I let him "find his strokes."

Third set- I went up 1-0 and was serving at 40-15, when his leg started "cramping badly." I literally took a nap on the court waiting for him to stretch. I won the next two games to go up 3-0...and what do you know? His side was cramping. He comes up to me and asks "what do you do when your sides start hurting?" I responded "Do whatever you have to do-I'm not a doctor." My coach limited him to one 3 minute break, Thank God-who knows how long this could have gone on otherwise...

tykrum
04-16-2005, 07:01 PM
He blasted a ball into the woods, left without shaking hands, and informed our head coach that he wouldn't be at our next match.

If he doesn't come to your next match, if I was your coach I would kick him off the team. There's no way that would fly. I would recommend having a private conference with your coach about playing arrangements, and your coach should just make the decision to have better teams. Your coach really should have total authority about something like this, and the coach really should have noticed in the first place that your partner is not such a good doubles player.

theace21
04-16-2005, 07:24 PM
You are a true team player. Willing to play with the spoiled brat if the coach asks you to, for the good of the team. I hope this works out well for you. Keep working hard and get the number one spot...

aj_m2009
04-16-2005, 07:26 PM
I agree with Sarita and WhiteChocolate, this kid sounds like a major brat and, IMO, he shouldn't be on the team.

equinox
04-17-2005, 05:39 AM
I'd say it's time for you to start polishing the knuckle duster with this punk.

USCfan
04-17-2005, 07:19 AM
... and the coach really should have noticed in the first place that your partner is not such a good doubles player.

He has, and he has thanked me several times for putting up with him and "carrying the team" through some matches.

Thanks for the nice words theace21...

USCfan
04-20-2005, 03:10 PM
I am now playing with our no. 1.

SaritaUTHorns
04-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Good for you! That's great! :D

aj_m2009
04-20-2005, 04:32 PM
clap clap clap clap clap(sorry, when don't have a smiley that claps so I had to do that), hopefully he wont be as bad as the other kid you had to play with.

USCfan
04-22-2005, 01:42 PM
He's not nearly as bad...while he doesn't care too much about doubles, he's a decent partner, and it's nice to share the load equally with someone.

USCfan
04-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Ha!! And now that kid at no.3 wants to challenge me again! ("I was playing horribly that day...I know I can beat you...") He hasn't beaten me in three years-what a sore loser...

aj_m2009
04-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Ha!! And now that kid at no.3 wants to challenge me again! ("I was playing horribly that day...I know I can beat you...") He hasn't beaten me in three years-what a sore loser...

And this kid is supposed to be your friend?

USCfan
04-22-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure about that anymore...it's a shame really...We weren't that close, but I thought he aws a nice kid. I've lost a lot of respect for him lately.

It could just be that he really wants to go to districts, as he's a senior. Bu I'm a junior and I also want to go (it's something to put on my applications).

aj_m2009
04-22-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure about that anymore...it's a shame really...We weren't that close, but I thought he aws a nice kid. I've lost a lot of respect for him lately.

You're right, it is a shame.

It could just be that he really wants to go to districts, as he's a senior. Bu I'm a junior and I also want to go (it's something to put on my applications).

Even if that is the reason, it still doesn't give him the right to act like a brat.

USCfan
04-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Do you guys think I should play him again? I'm pretty sure I'd win again, but you never know for sure...I just think it would feel great to beat him once more, just to shut him up, since he'd have no more excuses. But then again, I don't have to play him again-I already beat him, the season's almost over, and I have a couple blisters. I wouldn't want to hurt myself before districts...

aj_m2009
04-24-2005, 04:02 PM
If you have blisters you probably shouldn't.

USCfan
04-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks, you're probably right...although it would feel great to beat him again...

aj_m2009
04-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Yeah if you didn't have the blisters I would say beat the crap out of his sorry butt, but since you have them, it wouldn't be a good idea, sorry.

Camilio Pascual
04-25-2005, 05:13 AM
I just think it would feel great to beat him once more, just to shut him up

It probably wouldn't.

USCfan
04-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks guys, you're right...people like this always have an excuse.