PDA

View Full Version : Bye Marat... Will be missed... what now?

jcstennis
11-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Damn, is this guy going to party tonight or what?! :)

Too bad to see him go... will we see him again in any capacity concerning tennis?

cuddles26
11-11-2009, 05:14 AM
Thank goodness he is retired. He used to be a great player, but the last 4 years of his career he has been so overrated it isnt even funny. I am sick of all the hype and delusional fan expectations of a total has been.

THESEXPISTOL
11-11-2009, 05:15 AM
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3595/maratgoodbye.jpg

paulorenzo
11-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Thank goodness he is retired. He used to be a great player, but the last 4 years of his career he has been so overrated it isnt even funny. I am sick of all the hype and delusional fan expectations of a total has been.

unnecessary. sure, his backhand, movement and consistency is no longer up to par and his heart seems to no longer be in tennis, but marat put up a good fight against delpo today. and he will surely be missed.

Seany
11-11-2009, 05:25 AM

He has done more than you will ever do in your life.

Go and be miserable somewhere else, whilst we celebrate a wonderful career.

cuddles26
11-11-2009, 05:33 AM
unnecessary. sure, his backhand, movement and consistency is no longer up to par and his heart seems to no longer be in tennis, but marat put up a good fight against delpo today. and he will surely be missed.

Del Potro is proving to be the one hit wonder people like Cesc and others were smart enough to recognize he was. Since the U.S Open he has lost to a couple journeymen in his other 2 tournaments, so Safin taking him 3 sets is no great shakes. It doesnt change the fact the hype and delusional fanboy expectations of a player whos struggles to even win matches on tour the last several years let alone make real runs anywhere is welcome to be over with as far as I am concerned.

Golden Retriever
11-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Who is the short guy in the middle holding the key?

fps
11-11-2009, 05:34 AM
It doesnt change the fact the hype and delusional fanboy expectations of a player whos struggles to even win matches on tour the last several years let alone make real runs anywhere is welcome to be over with as far as I am concerned.

what did grammar do to you that you abuse it so??

Topaz
11-11-2009, 05:38 AM
I think ESPN should get Marat in the commentator's booth! That would be *gold*!!!

Seany
11-11-2009, 05:38 AM
Del Potro is proving to be the one hit wonder people like Cesc and others were smart enough to recognize he was. Since the U.S Open he has lost to a couple journeymen in his other 2 tournaments, so Safin taking him 3 sets is no great shakes. It doesnt change the fact the hype and delusional fanboy expectations of a player whos struggles to even win matches on tour the last several years let alone make real runs anywhere is welcome to be over with as far as I am concerned.

Yeah Because a Wimbledon semi-final, at the same time becoming a member of the elite "semi-finalist" club, is no major accomplishment :roll:

Learn some facts before you type. People who know nothing about tennis, and spend all their time on a tennis forum, are pathetic.

Although having just read your sig, you openly admit you're a moron anyway....Serena the greatest? LOL

cuddles26
11-11-2009, 05:49 AM
Yeah Because a Wimbledon semi-final, at the same time becoming a member of the elite "semi-finalist" club, is no major accomplishment :roll:

Learn some facts before you type. People who know nothing about tennis, and spend all their time on a tennis forum, are pathetic.

Although having just read your sig, you openly admit you're a moron anyway....Serena the greatest? LOL

First off all an aging Schuettler was in the semis of the same Wimbledon Safin was, your point? Overall he has had about the same success on tour his final years as someone like an old Schuettler. Secondly I have less than 1 post per day you fool. Thirdly Serena is a hell of alot greater than your beloved Safin will ever be, atleast she will be talked about many years after retiring. If you dont like that not everyone is in mourning that a player who should have retired 4 years ago is gone then tough, go cry yourself a river.

jrod
11-11-2009, 05:51 AM
One of, if not THE, biggest underachievers the sport has ever known. Such a waste of talent.

malakas
11-11-2009, 05:56 AM
I'm very very sad to see him go.The tennis world definitely lost a lot of personality and charm today.:(

Matt H.
11-11-2009, 06:00 AM
I watched the first 2 sets while getting ready for work.

It felt a little bit exhibition-like. Del Po might have kept it close out of respect.

Azzurri
11-11-2009, 06:10 AM

absolutely. His talent and record are polar opposites. while I like his attitude and game imensly, his "showing" has been extremely poor. I am not offended, insulted by him (personality) but his game/desire irks me. This guy should have been a top 5 player the past 10 years. Too bad he did not have the heart/desire of Lleyton Hewitt, Nadal, and some others. Gos only knows what a monster he could have been. Imagine the great rivalry he would have had with Federer...alas it can only be a dream.

Azzurri
11-11-2009, 06:11 AM

today, c'mon. the guy totally wasted his talent. who cares what he did today.

NamRanger
11-11-2009, 06:13 AM
today, c'mon. the guy totally wasted his talent. who cares what he did today.

You don't know the circumstances so I wouldn't be talking. No one does. The man won 2 slams while partying and being drunk most of the time. I'd say that in itself is quite an achievement.

cuddles26
11-11-2009, 06:13 AM
absolutely. His talent and record are polar opposites. while I like his attitude and game imensly, his "showing" has been extremely poor. I am not offended, insulted by him (personality) but his game/desire irks me. This guy should have been a top 5 player the past 10 years. Too bad he did not have the heart/desire of Lleyton Hewitt, Nadal, and some others. Gos only knows what a monster he could have been. Imagine the great rivalry he would have had with Federer...alas it can only be a dream.

Exactly. Other than years he missed alot of with a horrible injury like 2003 and 2005 he should have been at minimum a top 5 player, probably most of the time atleast a top 3 player, every single year from 1999-2009. What a complete waste of talent. That will be his biggest legacy, and being a thrash journeyman the final 4 years of his career just makes it that much worse. He could have been part of a legendary rivalry with Federer who he has similar natural talent with, and could have even delayed Nadal's rise to the top as he probably is a better matchup to Nadal than Federer. Instead he will be remembered as a huge dissapointment.

Azzurri
11-11-2009, 06:14 AM
He has done more than you will ever do in your life.

Go and be miserable somewhere else, whilst we celebrate a wonderful career.

I don't disagree a 2 time major winner is a "wonderful" career...but think about how good this guy was and his talent. Then look at all of the 1st and 2nd round losses at majors and jerks he lost to throughout his career...I would not call MARAT'S career wonderful considering his immense talent. Pete Sampras thought this guy was going to rule tennis. he had some great matches and it could have been a lot better.

Azzurri
11-11-2009, 06:15 AM

its only been a few months. its the end of the season. he won a major...give the guy a break. He has a bigger game than Novak. Let's see how he does this year. but you are clueless if you think he is already a ONE-HIT wonder...your sig kinda confirms it anyway.

cuddles26
11-11-2009, 06:16 AM
You don't know the circumstances so I wouldn't be talking. No one does. The man won 2 slams while partying and being drunk most of the time. I'd say that in itself is quite an achievement.

What is impressive of having potential legend worthy talent and partying most of it away, doing the same stuff your average local joe who doesnt have that rare and unique opportunity to do something truly special can easily do. 2 slams is great if you are a workmanlike player who maxes out your talent like say Kafelnikov, not when you are someone who wasted most of your career like Safin.

Topaz
11-11-2009, 06:17 AM

It could be that he over achieved rather than under achieved!

sureshs
11-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Had he switched to a bigger racquet, he would have had a longer career.

cuddles26
11-11-2009, 06:19 AM
It could be that he over achieved rather than under achieved!

Yeah a man who had the talent to beat Federer at his best overachieved to win the same # of slams as Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Patrick Rafter, and Johan Kriek, and fewer slams than Jan Kodes, LOL!

Azzurri
11-11-2009, 06:20 AM

I do know the circumstances, as well as you do. I stated 2 majors is a nice-excellent career but NOT for Marat. the guy was just too talented. Check other 2 time winners, he is far above all of those guys in talent and skill.

cuddles26
11-11-2009, 06:22 AM
its only been a few months. its the end of the season. he won a major...give the guy a break. He has a bigger game than Novak. Let's see how he does this year. but you are clueless if you think he is already a ONE-HIT wonder...your sig kinda confirms it anyway.

I am not a Novak fan but while Del Potro might be the slightly better ball basher (the style both predominantly play) Djokovic has consistency, foot speed, and mental toughness all over Del Potro easily at this point.

B A Y
11-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Dude! Why the stupid comment? Safin could have maybe achieved a bit more but was a great player and played a top match today! Go be a kn0b somewhere else.

viva Marat

Seany
11-11-2009, 06:29 AM
The lack of knowledge on this board amazes me.

Underachiever?

The guy has had one of the most injury-riddled careers of all time, and still 2 slams and 5 masters titles.

Overachiever if anything.

People need to learn facts about a player before they comment. Pathetic.

Azzurri
11-11-2009, 06:30 AM
I am not a Novak fan but while Del Potro might be the slightly better ball basher (the style both predominantly play) Djokovic has consistency, foot speed, and mental toughness all over Del Potro easily at this point.

what??? Mental toughness?? You seriosuly need to re-think your statement. Novak has some issues mentally. Foot speed, yes Novak has that. Consistency..we will see. again, Delpo is only 20. He has had a very nice 18 months. He has gotten better. you are making a judgement far to quickly and its baseless. mental??? no way.

Topaz
11-11-2009, 06:31 AM

Underachiever?

The guy has had one of the most injury-riddled careers of all time, and still 2 slams and 5 masters titles.

I love watching Safin play, I think he's an amazing tennis player. Could he have achieved more? Sure, but he achieved a heck of a lot more than most other tennis players (most of whom just dream of winning *one* slam).

He will be missed.

Azzurri
11-11-2009, 06:42 AM

Underachiever?

I don't think its a "lack of knowledge". the fact remains Marat had immense talent. After the 00 USO if you asked 100 tennis "experts" how many more COULD this guy win and I guarantee you the # would have been more than 2 by 90%. You miss the point completely. You are clueless to how good this was and the talent he possesed.

malakas
11-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Safin is Safin.It's the way he is there's not point calling him an underachiever and a waste of talent.Because THAT talent comes together with the personality comes together with the broken racquets the fights in bars in Moscow and the hippo interviews.If these things were missing who knows?Most probably the slams would be missing too.

Azzurri
11-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Safin is Safin.It's the way he is there's not point calling him an underachiever and a waste of talent.Because THAT talent comes together with the personality comes together with the broken racquets the fights in bars in Moscow and the hippo interviews.If these things were missing who knows?Most probably the slams would be missing too.

confused, so him "wasting" his talent is the reason he won 2 majors and he would have been less of a player if he actually made a bigger commitment??

pound cat
11-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Who is the short guy in the middle holding the key?

Safin is holding the key. The short guy will pick up the key in case Safin drops it.

jms007
11-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Yeah a man who had the talent to beat Federer at his best overachieved to win the same # of slams as Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Patrick Rafter, and Johan Kriek, and fewer slams than Jan Kodes, LOL!

Part of "talent" is to be able to play at that level more than once in a blue moon. Safin's peak level may be high, but his average level isn't. He might have won 1 or 2 more slams if he was more focused, but as for as dominating, I doubt it. He's too streaky by nature.

malakas
11-11-2009, 07:05 AM
confused, so him "wasting" his talent is the reason he won 2 majors and he would have been less of a player if he actually made a bigger commitment??

No.But a great player comes with the whole package,including temper,commitment,concetration all these elements that make for a great player and not just the talent alone.Safin didn't have it,but he had the charm and the personality that made him one of the most likeable and popular tennis players.

Andres
11-11-2009, 08:05 AM
"Serena Williams is the greatest female player in history. Yes even greater than Graf, Navratilova, and Evert. Deal with it losers. "

Azzurri
11-11-2009, 08:07 AM
No.But a great player comes with the whole package,including temper,commitment,concetration all these elements that make for a great player and not just the talent alone.Safin didn't have it,but he had the charm and the personality that made him one of the most likeable and popular tennis players.

ok, this statement makes more sense to me. I was confused by your other post. thanks.:)

Matt H.
11-11-2009, 08:10 AM
I think once Marat got the “1 Slam Wonder” monkey off his back, he truly did not care anymore. All of his motivation was gone. He had the epic win over Federer, finally got his Australian Open after 2 previous final appearances, and that was it.

The talent was always there. Even after an injury prone 2003, he races out to the final of the Australia in Jan 2004. With Roddick as the #1 seed, and Safin having known beef with Roddick, that was motivation to knock him out. Agassi was a legend in Australia, so that semi got him up too.

rounick
11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Had he switched to a bigger racquet, he would have had a longer career.

Stupidest thing I've ever read on this forum.

Fedace
11-11-2009, 09:20 AM
That Classless Federer not showing up to the ceremony.....it Figures....

Michael Bluth
11-11-2009, 09:24 AM
A lot of people think Safin could have been Federer-like if he had played to potential, I think he could have won 5 slams at most.

Strobe Lights
11-11-2009, 09:34 AM
World #1. 1 USO and 1 AO (with 2 RUs). Also made the semis at the French and Wimby. 5 Masters Series and 2 Davis Cups. Two historic victories in beating Sampras in the 2000 USO final and Federer in the 2005 AO semi. A great career.

Azzurri
11-11-2009, 10:18 AM
World #1. 1 USO and 1 AO (with 2 RUs). Also made the semis at the French and Wimby. 5 Masters Series and 2 Davis Cups. Two historic victories in beating Sampras in the 2000 USO final and Federer in the 2005 AO semi. A great career.

Great career? so what would you call Becker's, Edberg's, Lendl's? Howe about Borg???

kishnabe
11-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I think ESPN should get Marat in the commentator's booth! That would be *gold*!!!

It just woundn't feel right. Even safin said he wont waste his time being a commeneter when he can do something better.

Frodo Baggins
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUg_raQ7hAQ :cry:<<<

Kobble
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Look at all the wimps bashing Safin. What have you done lately, besides wear out your keyboard?

As for Safin's career, yeah, we all wanted more titles, but that is the way it goes sometimes. Face it, we are unique to have been able to watch such a great and interesting talent. There will always be some new talent, but this is our experience, and no little 16 year old hater who missed the boat can take that away. Sorry punks, back to Serena's nuts you go.

Netspirit
11-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I am glad he's gone. Now we concentrate on good players instead of chewing those 2 wins over a 10 year career of this mental midget.

jamesblakefan#1
11-11-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm not a Safin fan, but I respect what he's done in his career and wish him the best of luck in retirement. At the very least, thanks for the memories of racquet smashes and near decapitations, Marat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghvZKScn-CU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SI54sLWQ9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E9iZINWsMs&feature=related

TennisPassion5
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
In addition to the accomplishments others mentioned, he was 1 of 5 active players to get to the semifinals of all 4 grand slams. Yeah...not too shabby.

OTMPut
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I am glad he's gone. Now we concentrate on good players instead of chewing those 2 wins over a 10 year career of this mental midget.

Wow, look at the hate! What did he do to you?
Anonymity really brings out the worst in people.

dantheman
11-11-2009, 02:43 PM
felt kinda sad when i heard delpo beat marat

DavaiMarat
11-12-2009, 10:14 AM

Yeah....Serena is GOAT right?
Dude you suck, even for a troll.

DavaiMarat
11-12-2009, 10:19 AM

Wow you're a little bitter dude.
Why do much hate? Get out of your basement. Maybe 'play' the game you seem to know so much about.

Scrub.

GS
11-12-2009, 10:29 AM
One website says he's smashed over 15,000 racquets during his career, and 42 chairs. I can believe the chair count, but not the racquet one. 15,000?
I liked when he showed up at the Aussie Open last year after a New Year's Eve fight in Moscow---he said, "I need a doctor, and a practice court."

Azzurri
11-12-2009, 12:22 PM
One website says he's smashed over 15,000 racquets during his career, and 42 chairs. I can believe the chair count, but not the racquet one. 15,000?
I liked when he showed up at the Aussie Open last year after a New Year's Eve fight in Moscow---he said, "I need a doctor, and a practice court."

that would be like 4 racquets per day..LOL. I don't think even Marat could do that.:)

BlakeGOAT
11-12-2009, 12:34 PM

Apparently, in 2005 he estimated that he had broken about 300 so.. no :)

Steffi-forever
11-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Apparently, in 2005 he estimated that he had broken about 300 so.. no :)

Yes, but he won the Australian Open that year. :)

pound cat
11-13-2009, 04:01 AM
So Long, Safin: The Russian Rasputin Retires by Nima Naderi

Written on November 11, 2009
The famed, torn, and successful career of former world No. 1 Marat Safin ended this week with a final showing at the BNP Paribas Masters.

With a tsunami of career highlights both memorable and forgettable to recount, please allow me a more informal look at one of the most charismatic players tennis has ever seen.

My first run-in with Safin took place during the Masters event in the summer of 2000 in Toronto. A slightly more volatile Safin (if that is even possible) began what would become his destined run toward his first Grand Slam title in New York.

As I walked toward Court 11 on the campus of York University (both the school I attended and grounds of the event), I was curious to view the much talked about Russian in all his explosive flesh.

Prior to seeing Safin live for the first time, I had paid attention to a few of the Moscow native's wins, which had included defeating Jim Courier during a 1998 Davis Cup tie and ousting both Andre Agassi and defending champ Gustavo Kuerten from the French Open later that spring.

Playing former world No. 4 Jonas Bjorkman in a first round encounter in Canada, the ability to view the talented youngster first time could not have been more perfect.

With minimal spectators present, I was treated to the full entourage of Safin's game. Everything from his sonic serves and dynamo backhand, to his cursing in Russian, English, and Spanish.

Don't worry, folks; I was also treated to a racket brake, the loss of the second set, and, yes, a near-miss disqualification.

During the beginning stages of the third set (Safin had lost the middle set 6-1 to Bjorkman), the Russian, like only he can, screamed to the heavens after missing a break point opportunity. The pent-up frustration (no surprise, really) caused Safin to throw his racket at what seemed to be 100 mph right into the backstop.

Showing a little anger is never a bad thing in tennis (for Safin, it was the only means of getting himself going), but when the racket or throw in question misses the head of an innocent bystander known as the ballgirl, anger is a very bad thing.

Safin, who didn't receive a racket abuse warning for his actions, reacted to the situations with poise, giving the ballgirl a shameful but apologetic smile, only to subsequently break Bjorkman and win the match.

If anything, Safin's tirade at the beginning of the third set had aided him to victory—the luck of not hitting the ballgirl played a substantial role in his progression that summer.

To me, that win against Bjorkman was not only the turnaround moment in Safin's career; it also magnified the essence which made the Russian's game pure—uninhibited aggression, centered on uncontainable and deserved ability.

That side court win for Safin simply became the platform for the youngsters title run in New York, which he obliterated Pete Sampras in three convincing sets.

With stardom on the the horizon, and Sampras claiming that "you will be seeing this Safin guy around for many years," the oblivious and green Grand Slam champ reacted with an opposite approach to Sampras' assessment: He underperformed for the remainder of his career.

Sure, the Russian Rasputin reached the finals of the 2002 and 2004 Australian Opens before capturing his second and last career title in Australia in 2005.

Safin dabbled in blonds, brunettes, and bar fights, and as recently as this year in Monte Carlo Masters, took his racket-breaking escapades to a whole new level by slicing his frame in a clean-cut break while losing to Nicolas Lapentti. Impressive!

Now that the towering Russian has left the men's circuit, questions will inevitably arise concerning whether or not Safin's contribution to the sport will be worth remembering?

Will his antics and his self-loathing game live in the heart of tennis' fabric for years to come? Certainly, tennis was far better off with the big man present.

Creating controversy at every corner, Safin's natural and fluent demeanor in the interview room will certainly be his most missed attribute.

Constantly giving us exactly "what we need," during his post match pressers, the unrobotic Safin never shied away from speaking his uninhibited mind.

In a day and age when so many tennis players answer questions in the same generic tone, Safin was not only eager to share his personality with the media, the cornerstone of his legacy will be remembered by his insightful words.

Here are a few career quotes to the media from the man himself:

"It's like love. When you look too hard, you don't find it. When you let it happen naturally, it comes."

—To CNNSI.com, talking about how he rediscovered his form at the Australian Open 2002.

"Do you expect me to smile like an idiot on court? Nobody likes to lose, and I can't be relaxed when I see on the scoreboard that I'm loosing and making stupid mistakes. That's just the way I am."

—According to chinaopen.cn, following a first-round loss to Max Mirnyi in 2001.

"I pay the bills, I pay for everything."

—Safin on how he intends to keep new coach Mats Wilander happy.

"I was in the right place at the right moment. God came to me, patted me on the head and said: 'You will win the glory.'"

—To The Independent, on winning the 2000 US Open.

"Oh, don't go there, because otherwise you're gonna see a lot of balls flying around and rackets, and a lot of swearing. I don't think you want that extreme."

—Marat Safin on how it would work if players were allowed to express their emotions without censorship, June 23, 2009.

"Not a lot of tennis players have managed to have a great life afterwards with tennis. With all the respect, I want to try to be the guy who ends up doing something else and be good at it."

—According to tennis.com, June of 2009.

Call him what you want, but please don't call him boring. Safin may not have been coachable, reliable, or able to live up to his potential, but he certainly had passion for the sport like no other.

Although the Russian provided many uninspiring results through his farewell tour—losing to Jesse Levine at Wimbledon and Jurgen Melzer at the US Open—Safin did exhibit heart in his final career win against Frenchman Thierry Ascione.

Saving three match points on the strength of his serving and forehand potency, Safin simply highlighted the immense (and underused) potential he has always possessed.

Now, on the eve of a Safin-less Tour, could we, or should we, expect a return from the Muscovite?

The pending answer to all you "I heart Safin" fans out there is: the studly Russian will do what he wants, and if he desires to come back he just might. But I wouldn't be holding my breath in anticipation.

Leaving tennis with a splendid array of answers in his final post-match presser after a loss to Juan Martin del Potro, Safin was candid in saying goodbye to a sport he has played from the age of six, relinquishing any doubt the he did in fact give his career all he had.

"I don't have a lot of them (titles), only 15, so not too many majors," Safin said, according to GlobalPost.com. "But they were really special and very welcome. A lot of people [think] that I'm not really [a] hard worker, but you can ask all my coaches how I dedicated myself to tennis. I worked for it, and I worked very hard."

Whether or not you want to disagree with the work ethic of Safin throughout his career, the interest and the fanfare he brought to the sport will seldom ever be duplicated.

There is, and always will be, one Safin; like him or not, tennis will not be the same without him.

UDACHI MAPAT

sureshs
11-13-2009, 04:10 AM
Time for Marat to pack it up. His low performance and accompanying sarcastic comments were getting boring.

malakas
11-13-2009, 04:21 AM
Time for Marat to pack it up. His low performance and accompanying sarcastic comments were getting boring.

then maybe it's time for you too,to follow his example.:)

Gorecki
11-13-2009, 04:35 AM
then maybe it's time for you too,to follow his example.:)

sugaresh is more of a Santoro kind... junk, junk, junk, ad eternum...

zagor
11-13-2009, 05:25 AM
sugaresh is more of a Santoro kind... junk, junk, junk, ad eternum...

Santoro's junk has style and flair while Suresh's is just ordinary garbage.

grafselesfan
11-13-2009, 05:26 AM
I miss the Safin of 2000-2005. I have missed him for years though. I wont miss the recent Safin and am glad he is finally retiring rather than continuing on as a shadow of his former self. I wish he had retired sooner actually.

DavaiMarat
11-13-2009, 05:34 AM

I guess the usual response is to counter bash someone you might actually have a little respect for. But I won't sink that low. You already bring any thread down with your BS.

Why don't you just make a post about yourself and post over and over again. That way you can keep your post count up and not annoy anyone else because it clearly that's all you care about.

Dude, simply put, short pier, long walk.