PDA

View Full Version : Can Hewitt get back in the top 8!!!!

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I honestly think he can and i would love to see it. If he stays fit for a very long time then there is no reason why he cannot. Remeber, he was close to making the wimbledon semifinals, perhaps the closest he will get to making the wimbledon final ever again but i wouldn't be surprised if he made a grand slam semi next year.

He has weapons (IMO, but has struggled with the slower conditions) like his BH DTL and has actually improved his serve too - which will help him out in tight games.

I do however think that if he would get far in grandslams, then he would struggle with the top 5 or 6 guys in the world, but if he plays them on a bad day then who knows.

So who thinks hewitt will make the top 8 next season.

grafselesfan
11-11-2009, 10:34 AM
No (10 char).

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
No (10 char).

Why ?

10 char

President
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
No he won't. He doesn't have the tools to beat any top 10 player nowadays. He only beat Soderling in Cincinnati because he was injured.

Blinkism
11-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't know about actually making the Top 8, but he's capable of playing Top 8 tennis. That's quite impressive considering he's quite out of his prime and has a questionable hip.

It would be cool to see him in the Top 15, no question about it!

To see him in the Top 8 would be great, but unlikely. It would require consistent results at the masters and Hewitt has been a ghost in that department this season.

Then again, he spent the first half of the season unseeded and playing very tough draws so next season he can rack up quite a few points.

T1000
11-11-2009, 10:36 AM
No he won't. He doesn't have the tools to beat any top 10 player nowadays. He only beat Soderling in Cincinnati because he was injured.

LOL I guess beating Del Potro in straights doesn't count. Soderling wasn't injured then either, you're sounding like a *******

grafselesfan
11-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Why ?

10 char

He has lost some speed which is an integral part of his game. He has never been the same player since 2005. It isnt suddenly going to come back as he inches closer to 30. Grinders are never near their primes at that age anyway. Hewitt at his best could be a top 5 player even today but he wont ever be back near his very best again. Physically he is past his prime.

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 10:37 AM

I think he does have the tools. Yep, he may lack the power of his 'old self' back when he was younger but owned JMDP at wimbledon.

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't know about actually making the Top 8, but he's capable of playing Top 8 tennis. That's quite impressive considering he's quite out of his prime and has a questionable hip.

It would be cool to see him in the Top 15, no question about it!

To see him in the Top 8 would be great, but unlikely. It would require consistent results at the masters and Hewitt has been a ghost in that department this season.

Then again, he spent the first half of the season unseeded and playing very tough draws so next season he can rack up quite a few points.

He's better than 15. I would say he can make top 10 at the very least.

T1000
11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
He has lost some speed which is an integral part of his game. He has never been the same player since 2005. It isnt suddenly going to come back as he inches closer to 30. Grinders are never near their primes at that age anyway. Hewitt at his best could be a top 5 player even today but he wont ever be back near his very best again. Physically he is past his prime.

Does it matter? Today is a weak era filled with talentless hackers and mental midgets. If someone can win slams and be number one like the lucky guy there now then Hewitt can get top 8 easily. He's lucky he doesn't have to play the God of tennis though (the ultimate fighter who never gives up and NEVER gets lucky breaks Rafa Nadal)

President
11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
LOL I guess beating Del Potro in straights doesn't count. Soderling wasn't injured then either, you're sounding like a *******

Soderling had elbow troubles at that time. It hindered his performance in Montreal and in later tournaments as well.

Del Potro on grass doesn't really count as a top 10 player..he is really out of his element on the surface and doesn't know what to do. I admit though I forgot about that.

Hewitt can still play well on grass I guess, and could post some solid results in the future. But the HC field is too strong atm and he isn't good enough on clay.

I have nothing against Hewitt and certainly am not a hater.

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Soderling had elbow troubles at that time. It hindered his performance in Montreal and in later tournaments as well.

Del Potro on grass doesn't really count as a top 10 player..he is really out of his element on the surface and doesn't know what to do. I admit though I forgot about that.

Hewitt can still play well on grass I guess, and could post some solid results in the future. But the HC field is too strong atm and he isn't good enough on clay.

I have nothing against Hewitt and certainly am not a hater.

You're just making up excuses for JMDP now. He lost and guess what? it counts. He was the closest before Federer to KO'ing roddick out. But i guess that doesn't count.

nikdom
11-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Why ?

10 char

Because...

10 char

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 10:43 AM
NOOOOO. 2 people have voted FAIL THREAD.

President
11-11-2009, 10:43 AM
You're just making up excuses for JMDP now. He lost and guess what? it counts. He was the closest before Federer to KO'ing roddick out. But i guess that doesn't count.

What excuses? I'm not claiming injury or anything; I'm just saying he sucks on grass.

Anyone knowledgeable about tennis will tell you the same.

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Because...

10 char

Excellent analysis and reasoning to why Hewitt will not be a top 8 player next year. Congratulations, give yourself a big 'pat-on-the-back-of-FAIL!!!'

akv89
11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Probably not. He can't compensate for his lack of power with his agility anymore. But it's nice to see guys like Hewitt, Haas, and Fererro get back into the top 20 this year.

T1000
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
He should. He's mentally stronger than most of the guys in the top 20, except Federer and Murray. I've only seen him blow a couple matches this year (Gonzo at AO and Roddick at Memphis and Wimbledon, he really should have won those three)

Anaconda
What excuses? I'm not claiming injury or anything; I'm just saying he sucks on grass.

Anyone knowledgeable about tennis will tell you the same.

So, Nadal got to the wimbledon final in 2006 and was a beginner of the surface. He had chances to beat Federer so there goes your statement.

nikdom
Excellent analysis and reasoning to why Hewitt will not be a top 8 player next year. Congratulations, give yourself a big 'pat-on-the-back-of-FAIL!!!'

That's all the analysis this thread deserves - NO

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Probably not. He can't compensate for his lack of power with his agility anymore. But it's nice to see guys like Hewitt, Haas, and Fererro get back into the top 20 this year.

Power isn't everything. Look at Murray, he slices all day long and has countless MS & 500 events to show for it.

Blinkism
11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
He's better than 15. I would say he can make top 10 at the very least.

Sure, he's better than 15, in quality.

But can he keep up with the quantity?

I just doubt his ability to keep up with the tour and win titles to stay in the Top 10.

I think the best for him is just to put full effort in at the slams and then just play the Masters and hope for the best, but skip what he can.

akv89
11-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Power isn't everything. Look at Murray, he slices all day long and has countless MS & 500 events to show for it.

Read my post again. Murray can use his speed to compensate for his relative lack of power, while Hewitt is no longer as quick or fast as he used to be. In addition, Murray has weapons in his 1st serve and backhand.
Hewitt will need to drop a good amount of weight to regain some of that speed.

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Sure, he's better than 15, in quality.

But can he keep up with the quantity?

I just doubt his ability to keep up with the tour and win titles to stay in the Top 10.

I think the best for him is just to put full effort in at the slams and then just play the Masters and hope for the best, but skip what he can.

You don't really need to win titles to stay top 10. The likes of Roddick and soderling (plus gonzo in the race) have maintained top 10 status and don't win titles week in, week out. It's more about consistency.

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Read my post again. Murray can use his speed to compensate for his relative lack of power, while Hewitt is no longer as quick or fast as he used to be. In addition, Murray has weapons in his 1st serve and backhand.
Hewitt will need to drop a good amount of weight to regain some of that speed.

Agree with the speed part, but he is still quicker than alot of other guys. Hewitt has an underrated serve IMO.

Blinkism
11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
You don't really need to win titles to stay top 10. The likes of Roddick and soderling (plus gonzo in the race) have maintained top 10 status and don't win titles week in, week out. It's more about consistency.

Well, that's what I'm talking about - consistency.

For some reason, I don't see Hewitt amazing outside the slams next season, but I agree that he will do quite well at the slams.

And that should be his priority.

He needs to play one of the smaller grass events, like Eastbourne, and steal a title.

He could have definitely stole that title this year.

Along with Moscow.

He needs to pick and chose mickey mouse events and then put his full effort into slams.

That's the right formula, IMO. I'm not an ATP coach, though.

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Well, that's what I'm talking about - consistency.

For some reason, I don't see Hewitt amazing outside the slams next season, but I agree that he will do quite well at the slams.

And that should be his priority.

He needs to play one of the smaller grass events, like Eastbourne, and steal a title.

He could have definitely stole that title this year.

Along with Moscow.

He needs to pick and chose mickey mouse events and then put his full effort into slams.

That's the right formula, IMO. I'm not an ATP coach, though.

He could have won memphis this year, but you're right. He needs to focus on slams. He doesn't need more MS titles and 1000 series. Just priorotise your schedule around the slams.

Breaker
11-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Depends on how he physically holds up. He hasn't played a full season since 2004 so how he manages his schedule will determine his ranking. I think after Roland Garros he can get back to top 10 even if it's only a brief stay. He has little to defend at the big events due to how low his ranking was at the beginning of this year.

Blinkism
11-11-2009, 11:24 AM
He could have won memphis this year, but you're right. He needs to focus on slams. He doesn't need more MS titles and 1000 series. Just priorotise your schedule around the slams.

Something about the Master Series has been Hewitt's achilles heel in the last few seasons.

But, just look at the FO this year - if he didn't run into Nadal and had an easier draw (due to seeding) then it's not unreasonable to think he could have made the quarters.

Ditto for Wimbledon. #5 seed first round?

If he had the draw where he had Ferrero or Karlovic in the quarters, he would have made the semi's. And, call me crazy, I think Hewitt could have beaten Murray the way Murray was playing and the form Hewitt was in during his quarter w/Roddick

So next season he needs to take full advantage of his seeding (what is he now? #19, 20?) and go deep in the slams.

Depends on how he physically holds up. He hasn't played a full season since 2004 so how he manages his schedule will determine his ranking. I think after Roland Garros he can get back to top 10 even if it's only a brief stay. He has little to defend at the big events due to how low his ranking was at the beginning of this year.

Exactly, he doesn't need to take the same approach as the rest of the Top 10 guys - playing the full tour.

He needs to take the "Serena Williams" approach.

patty_mnouchkine
11-11-2009, 11:39 AM
unfortunately it's not the WTA!!

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Something about the Master Series has been Hewitt's achilles heel in the last few seasons.

But, just look at the FO this year - if he didn't run into Nadal and had an easier draw (due to seeding) then it's not unreasonable to think he could have made the quarters.

Ditto for Wimbledon. #5 seed first round?

If he had the draw where he had Ferrero or Karlovic in the quarters, he would have made the semi's. And, call me crazy, I think Hewitt could have beaten Murray the way Murray was playing and the form Hewitt was in during his quarter w/Roddick

So next season he needs to take full advantage of his seeding (what is he now? #19, 20?) and go deep in the slams.

Exactly, he doesn't need to take the same approach as the rest of the Top 10 guys - playing the full tour.

He needs to take the "Serena Williams" approach.

I'm not sure about whether Hewitt could have beaten Murray, because it's a totally different matchup. Murray might have played more aggressive than Hewitt and Roddick played alot better against Murray than he did against Hewitt. Ivo karlovic is actually a tough matchup for hewitt.

Great thing is is that he will be seeded come AO, so he doesn't have to worry playing a player of JMDP's calibur in the early rounds.

mental midget
11-11-2009, 01:09 PM
hewitt is a great player, but his body won't cooperate with the demands he'd need to put on it to be competitive at that level.

Gugafan
11-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Hewitt can still play well on grass I guess, and could post some solid results in the future. But the HC field is too strong atm and he isn't good enough on clay.I have nothing against Hewitt and certainly am not a hater.

I think your seriously underrating Hewitt on HC, particularly the US Open where he has at least made the QF from 2000-2006. Even this year, he was able to take a set off Federer and had numerous bp chances. Other than Federer, there are not too many guys that dominate Hewitt over 5 sets at Wimbledon/US Open.

Alot will depend how the body holds up next year....He looked to be moving well particularly during Wimbledon. I think there is plenty of fight left in the Aussie grinder yet.

Tsonga#1fan
11-11-2009, 02:09 PM
James Blake has as good a chance of winning a grand slam tournament!

Anaconda
11-11-2009, 03:12 PM
James Blake has as good a chance of winning a grand slam tournament!

Ha, except for the fact that hewitt was #1 and blake has never made it past the QTF.

oh and BTW YOU FAIL!!!

dantheman
11-11-2009, 04:03 PM
unlikely because he's getting old and their are alot of better up and coming players compared to him
he might get as high as top 15 or 20 but not top 8

tyro
11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
http://tenniswire.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/remember-me/