PDA

View Full Version : Critique 2nd Serve Video Please!

SuperDuy
11-11-2009, 02:47 PM
These are first serves not second serves, sorry for bad title.

This is my second video on me serving, I want you all to critique my serve and tell me what I need to work on not "your going to hurt yourself" because so far im fine with no pains or anything.

I have tried to work on shifting my weight forward instead of going to the left after I serve, as you can see on the second I don't move left after the serve, I know I need to work when I toss to lean forward. This video was taken a week ago(too lazy to edit untill today), first video done 2 weeks before it. Do I need to transfer my energy better in the kinetic chain?

What have I improve on from the 1st to the 2nd. Are my serve speeds the same(I have let up on the second video, people said I was hitting too hard on the first)

Lastly, the last serve I did on the video I tried hitting pretty hard, im wondering what the speed is? 90? 95?

First video:
http://vimeo.com/7155004

Second video:
http://vimeo.com/7561300

thanks

SuperDuy
11-11-2009, 06:17 PM
buump :( :<(

Cody
11-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I really don't see much difference in your new video.

What changes did you try to implement into your serve ?

Way to robotic and stiff, loosen up man.

You still look like a pole is jammed up your rear end to use reference from the other thread

Main things to focus on:

-Loosen up
-Don't try to hit %100
-Focus on smooth flowing technique

It looks like there are alot of hitches in your motion that need fixing, i would suggest starting from scratch.

Cody,

Edit: Why are you so worried about speed, work on getting solid techinique and placement before even thinking about vamping it up

SuperDuy
11-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes, I need to start from scratch, but that will be next year since snow will fall in few weeks.

Different in the videos is, on the first see how after I served i leaned my weight left and was going a few steps left after I served, see in the second I just didn't go left and sorta forward then stopped.

I might take lessons again next year.

USERNAME
11-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I like the fact that ur not falling to the side anymore, that makes it super easy to just aim for the corner and slap winners. The thing I dont like the most about ur serve is that u r not getting into the court at all. U hit ur serve and land right on the baseline, get a higher toss and contact point then explode into the serve. On my 2nd serves I land around a solid foot inside the baseline just to give u an example. Also get some variety! I saw the same serves in both vids and u didnt move the ball around much. If u have to take a little off to go for the angle or heavy spin up the T, do it. Im not saying ur slice into the body or up the middle is bad its just that hitting it all the time makes it easy for any good player to get into a rhythm and just unload on the return.

SuperDuy
11-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Thats because in the videos I was going for power servers. When Im actually in game server I move I mix it up alot and stand in very different spots. Like Say Im serving to duece side, I stand as far as I can to the right then hit a very sharp angle slide then it hits the court then suddently moves left into the side fence. I also stand on ad court then hit a slice so it hit's corner and jumps a foot away from opponent. In the videos I did all body serves mostly which my opponents gotta move away from fast.

I need help trying to land inside the court and exploding into the ball, I just can't do it. I always land maybe 6 inches inside basline.

I will make a video soon of my mix up of servers to show you.

USERNAME
11-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Thats because in the videos I was going for power servers. When Im actually in game server I move I mix it up alot and stand in very different spots. Like Say Im serving to duece side, I stand as far as I can to the right then hit a very sharp angle slide then it hits the court then suddently moves left into the side fence. I also stand on ad court then hit a slice so it hit's corner and jumps a foot away from opponent. In the videos I did all body serves mostly which my opponents gotta move away from fast.

I need help trying to land inside the court and exploding into the ball, I just can't do it. I always land maybe 6 inches inside basline.

I will make a video soon of my mix up of servers to show you.

Ur not even 3 inches inside the baseline on most of ur serves, ur right on the baseline. And like I said just get the contact point higher so u have to get up and go after the ball. Going for power on a 2nd serve is not very smart, in practice u might b able to do it pretty well but under pressure (like during a break point) most people tighten up, forcing a miss-hit or bad serve.

yemenmocha
11-12-2009, 06:17 PM
I thought the OP was trailing off to the left too much, and on some serves almost out of balance for the return of serve. Body momentum should be up and out, and landing with relative balance.

SuperDuy
11-14-2009, 10:21 AM
any 1 else

samster
11-14-2009, 10:40 AM
You are a young man but I am worried that you will injure your back serving like this in the long run.

Placement, Spin, and Power are all important elements in producing an effective serve.

Which of the above elements do you think is the most important?

SuperDuy
11-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Power..... jk

I think placement, but spin is another key factor.

Cody
11-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Your motion is what you need to change.

A long free flowing swing that generates power and spin is the way to go instead of your current explosive short motion.

There are better vids but heres one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79tuHYoErQg&feature=related.

Tho it is in slow motion you can see how relaxed and smooth his swing his.

Here are some key points again:

Keep your tossing arm up as long as you can, seems to help me :)

Hit up at the ball instead of down into the court, think of it as trying to hit the ball up a mountain in front of you.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlPVdppfYGs

Once you have smooth and effortless stroke you can then start to devlop it into a weapon.

It may take time and you will feel tempted to go back to your original serve which i am finding hard at the moment, but in the long run you will have a consistent serve that is easy to generate power from and no injuries if the correct technique is being used.

I am currently trying to develop my serve as it is pretty disgraceful at the moment,

ms87
11-14-2009, 02:29 PM
lol, what a nightmare
honestly, the best advice I can give you is to rebuild your serve from the very start. It won't take as long as you think it will and you will be MUCH better off in the long run.

AlpineCadet
11-14-2009, 02:33 PM
He serves like Jollyroger!

SuperDuy
11-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Your motion is what you need to change.

A long free flowing swing that generates power and spin is the way to go instead of your current explosive short motion.

There are better vids but heres one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79tuHYoErQg&feature=related.

Tho it is in slow motion you can see how relaxed and smooth his swing his.

Here are some key points again:

Keep your tossing arm up as long as you can, seems to help me :)

Hit up at the ball instead of down into the court, think of it as trying to hit the ball up a mountain in front of you.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlPVdppfYGs

Once you have smooth and effortless stroke you can then start to devlop it into a weapon.

It may take time and you will feel tempted to go back to your original serve which i am finding hard at the moment, but in the long run you will have a consistent serve that is easy to generate power from and no injuries if the correct technique is being used.

I am currently trying to develop my serve as it is pretty disgraceful at the moment,

Second video was great Cody, that's one thing I have to work on. For the first video I don't get it, when people say you want to 'explode' into the ball and land well into the court. I am wondering why Federer only land with his left foot on the baseline with he is hitting a flat server(atleast thats what I think it is by the youtube comments). I have seen your videos of serving and I see yours is a more 'flowing/calmed down' motion. Where you are all loose serving. Which this is what I am going to work on next time I get onto court. I just don't know about how to 'explode' into the ball WHILE having the correct motion. Whenever I try to explode into the ball I get a 'roddick type' motion which I am not really looking for an 'abreviated' motion.

While I toss the ball into the air do I have my racquet in the right spot, or do I want to put it behind me right after I toss and not have it like this |\ but like this |--, Like do I want to have it behind my head right after I toss or have it pointing at the ground and holding it freely like I am doing. I want to start over on the server because my groundstrokes are really good atm and my serve is my weakest link(although with that serve I get so many aces in a game) it will take a tole on my shoulder and my arm/body. I am going to be working on the placement/spin of my serves and not really the power untill I feel I am ready to speed it up. I think that over time, a correct service motion at not a very hard speed eventually gets the speed of the ball faster and faster from muscle memory with the same motion as the correct serve with the good spin/placement. Then I can work on the racquet faces, ex slice/flat/topspin/slice-topspin.

Wadda ya think?

SuperDuy
11-14-2009, 03:43 PM
What I have also been working on is tilting my hips inside the court that way I get driven inside the court, my next step is to get a correct motion then EXPLODE with the hip driven inside the court.

Cody
11-14-2009, 04:01 PM
What you said in the above posts is good.

I just filmed my serve 30 mins ago and now i'm editing it.

My current serve is horrible so hopefully we can get better together excusing how cheesy that sounds. :)

Cody,

SuperDuy
11-14-2009, 04:46 PM
What is link? I want to see how you improved over those crappy serves you had few weeks ago. lol jk

Cody
11-14-2009, 04:48 PM
I still gotta upload it yet :)

It's only a couple of serves and i put in a mega shank just for you :)

SuperDuy
11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
I didn't put the mega shank that flew over the fence that I did in.

Cody
11-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I didn't put the mega shank that flew over the fence that I did in.

Nice, It's nearly finished converting 5 mins then i'll post.

SuperDuy
11-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Ok, link :)

Cody
11-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Ok, link :)

Thread is up :)