PDA

View Full Version : Oren Motevassel

thanu
11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
I've been reading up about Oren Motevassel, mainly because he uses a racquet that I really like (Prince Diablo XP OS), but has his customized to 400 grams (he told me this when I emailed him). I would really like to see him play since he plays an unusual game from what everyone has said. I could only find one video of him on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36RQJInjf4o

Does anybody have anymore vids?

supersmash
11-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Dude. Does. Not. Miss.

If you consider Gilles Simon to be the poorman's Andy Murray....

This guy is practically free.

drakulie
11-12-2009, 08:53 AM
saw him play quite a few matches 2 years ago at the National Clay Court Championships. He beat Andy Lake in the finals. I think I may have some photos and vids. (will try and post them tonight for you If I have them).

He was driving Lake crazy. In the end of the match, he was literally lollipopping his serve in and winning his serve easily. LOL

He gets absolutely everything back deep, pushes, slices, drives opponents crazy. When necessary, he hits the tar out of the ball to end a point quickly. He is super quick around the court, has crazy good court coverage, and is rarely in a defensive position, or out of position.

He was taking Lakes serve (which is well over 120) from inside the baseline.

and yes, he was playing with the diablo OS.

atatu
11-12-2009, 08:58 AM
No vids, but here is a pic I took last year, you can see the Diablo XP OS very clearly:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_22957b9sZBI/R9iyxtrMYOI/AAAAAAAAALQ/xw4rFQMVFLU/s1600-h/IMG_1277.JPG

rosenstar
11-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I've been reading up about Oren Motevassel, mainly because he uses a racquet that I really like (Prince Diablo XP OS), but has his customized to 400 grams (he told me this when I emailed him). I would really like to see him play since he plays an unusual game from what everyone has said. I could only find one video of him on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36RQJInjf4o

Does anybody have anymore vids?

I've hit with him before, He played a tournament at the country club I worked at. Very talented player, funny guy too. He can do anything he wants with the ball, easily the most talented player I've ever hit with.

thanu
11-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Drakulie, were you able to find some vids/pics?

Nice picture Atatu. I don't see the lead tape on his racquet though. I wonder if it's just a bad angle (to see the lead).

paulfreda
11-13-2009, 09:17 PM
I thought he retired 4 years ago.
I guess I must be wrong.

He is the cousin of a close friend of mine in Florida.
I will check on what the latest scoop is with him.

toddrobert38
11-13-2009, 09:39 PM
c'mon...

this is the PRO PLAYER forum. We might as well start discussing my game in here.

Get this outta here. Back to "Adult tournaments"

paulfreda
11-13-2009, 10:14 PM
c'mon...
this is the PRO PLAYER forum. We might as well start discussing my game in here.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ....... I see.

So then you were a top 200 player in the world for more than 10 years too ?? You must be quite a player.

toddrobert38
11-13-2009, 10:46 PM
so does this mean we're going to discuss every chucklehead with an ATP point now? I mean where do you draw the line?

i said "we may as well discuss my game", not we "should".

paulfreda
11-14-2009, 02:25 AM
Might I suggest .....
If you don't like what you see on your TV, you can always change the channel.
Similarly ...
If you think a thread is pointless and of no value ..... don't click on it.

Fair enough ?

Shaolin
11-14-2009, 07:51 AM
so does this mean we're going to discuss every chucklehead with an ATP point now? I mean where do you draw the line?

You must not understand how hard it is to get just one ATP point. Anyone good enough to get a ranking is good enough to be discussed. I think its nice to see threads that arent about Fed or Nadal for once.

drakulie
11-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Drakulie, were you able to find some vids/pics?

Nice picture Atatu. I don't see the lead tape on his racquet though. I wonder if it's just a bad angle (to see the lead).

thanu, unfortunately, I no longer have the photos/vids. Sorry! :(

Topaz
11-14-2009, 09:09 AM
c'mon...

If you had any clue to who Oren is and how he plays and what he has accomplished, you wouldn't even think to make these types of comments.

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Might I suggest .....
If you don't like what you see on your TV, you can always change the channel.
Similarly ...
If you think a thread is pointless and of no value ..... don't click on it.

Fair enough ?

It's called MISCATEGORIZED. If we went by that there would be no order.

"That would never happen with Italians. Greater than any one man's life, is ORDER" -American Gangster

It's not that hard to get a point if you're willing to play Nairobi F1. lol

Pro Player Forums should pertain to guys we know from PRO tennis (TV) , not USPTA money tournaments--- even if they had a few points and made main draw at a slam once in their life. Woopeee. You know how many guys I know that did that? A lot.

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 09:11 AM
If you had any clue to who Oren is and how he plays and what he has accomplished, you wouldn't even think to make these types of comments.

And you're "Hall of Fame" around here??? OMG

Topaz
11-14-2009, 09:12 AM
I had the opportunity to see Oren play live in FL (clay court 30s) as well. Sorry OP, can't help you on the racquet specs and lead tape.

The guy is *small* and like others said...he just doesn't ever miss. I've seen Andy Lake play in person too, and it was almost inconceivable to me that Oren beat him. Wish there were more vids to watch...it would be eye opening for many.

Topaz
11-14-2009, 09:14 AM
And you're "Hall of Fame" around here??? OMG

And you? Since you are so dismissive of Oren, would you like to enlighten the rest of us as to who you are and what you have accomplished, and what gives you the idea that you can be so rude to others?

onehandbh
11-14-2009, 09:15 AM
I've been interested in catching him at a tournament. Heard that he is
somehow able to not hit hard and beat a lot of people.

onehandbh
11-14-2009, 09:17 AM
I heard there was this 3.5 named tott dobert that saw him hitting against the
wall and challenged him, thinking he'd be able to overpower him. did not win a point.

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 09:27 AM
wall and challenged him, thinking he'd be able to overpower him. did not win a point.

Haha. You're hilarious. Wrong, but hilarious.

would you like to enlighten the rest of us as to who you are and what you have accomplished, and what gives you the idea that you can be so rude to others?

No. I wouldn't. And if people wouldn't ASSUME things (like me not having a clue) then I wouldn't laugh at their user status. What else did I say that was rude? It was all true.

Topaz
11-14-2009, 09:35 AM

Don't insult 3.5s like that.

No. I wouldn't. And if people wouldn't ASSUME things (like me not having a clue) then I wouldn't laugh at their user status. What else did I say that was rude? It was all true.

Your comments would lead one to believe that you don't know much about Oren. And why would you reply by laughing at anyone's user status if not to be rude? Instead of offering any valuable insight, observations or comments, you mocked and scolded. Speaks for itself right there.

You might have better luck in rants and raves.

You have the power of choice...if you don't like the thread, don't read it. If you think it is in the wrong section, you can say so without sounding like a tool. Again, your choice.

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Don't insult 3.5s like that.

you can say so without sounding like a tool. Again, your choice.

Obviously you are the one who's rude. I know plenty about him and that he is not what I consider worthy of the PRO PLAYER forum. Why don't you go worship him in the adult tournaments area so you can really pay homage to his amazing skill in $500 cash prize tourneys.

The last guy who called me a 3.5 had a nice raspberry in the middle of his back before the 2nd set was over. LOL

You guys crack me up.

FD3S
11-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Obviously you are the one who's rude. I know plenty about him and that he is not what I consider worthy of the PRO PLAYER forum. Why don't you go worship him in the adult tournaments area so you can really pay homage to his amazing skill in $500 cash prize tourneys.

The last guy who called me a 3.5 had a nice raspberry in the middle of his back before the 2nd set was over. LOL

You guys crack me up.

He's not a world beater, I agree. Still, he's well within the scope of this forum's target discussion group, seeing as how he's not a one ATP point wonder, either.

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 10:18 AM
He's not a world beater, I agree. Still, he's well within the scope of this forum's target discussion group, seeing as how he's not a one ATP point wonder, either.

But where is the line drawn is my point. I would think because you can't go by ATP points for obvious reasons, it should be exposure. I mean does anyone here actually know this guy from a televised match or slam result?

They only know him because he plays little money tournaments all over the country. To me, that means it belongs in Adult Tournaments. Not "PRO PLAYER" discussion.

svijk
11-14-2009, 10:20 AM
WHO IS THIS DUDE? why are we discussing him HERE......agree w Todd

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 10:22 AM
WHO IS THIS DUDE? why are we discussing him HERE......

LMAO That's hilarious

Netbudda
11-14-2009, 11:40 AM
I saw Oren play here in Charlotte, maybe 5 years ago, he destroyed everybody in the open draw and took the money home easily. He is very small, with an OK serve, but I swear he glides to the ball with zero effort, and hits everything within six inches of the baseline. It's a war of attrition and the guy doesn't miss.

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 11:45 AM
that's NOT PRO TENNIS!

thanu
11-14-2009, 12:12 PM
The reason I put this in the pro section is because to me a professional is someone who is making money. Someone who plays college sports is not a professional, but someone who plays in the minor leagues (example: in baseball single a, AA, AAA) are being paid to play the sport. Oren is making his living through tennis by winning these tournaments. If you look up "professional" athlete on the web here is the definition: "Professional sports, as opposed to amateur sports, are those in which athletes receive payment for their performance."

-Thanu

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 12:57 PM
that's why I said... where do you draw the line? and also, we might as well discuss my game here. It's a ridiculous segue from discussing Nadal or even someone in and out of ATP main draws to a guy who is playing USTA prize money tourneys.

He definitely has game but I can't say this is the right forum. Money can mean 500 dollars or 5 million. Big difference don't you think?

Do you really believe the spirit of this forum is to discuss a guy making 500 or a thousand here and there?

advantagetennis1
11-14-2009, 01:09 PM
that's why I said... where do you draw the line? and also, we might as well discuss my game here. It's a ridiculous segue from discussing Nadal or even someone in and out of ATP main draws to a guy who is playing USTA prize money tourneys.

He definitely has game but I can't say this is the right forum. Money can mean 500 dollars or 5 million. Big difference don't you think?

Do you really believe the spirit of this forum is to discuss a guy making 500 or a thousand here and there?

oren got up to about 160 and still plays money tournaments allover. If you dont consider 160 atp professional your an idiot. with one point you are an atp professional. Anyone that has had to win matches in qualifying at a futures and won a match in the md without the other person retiring or defaulting is a good player and yes hes pro. 160 atp is ridiculous man. im a senior in hs and iv dedicated alot of my completley to tennis. I live at a yr round tennis academy and homeschool its my dream to have a career like orens and i play all the 18s supernationals including easterbowl. tennis is tough man, show people like oren respect cause he deserves it.

advantagetennis1
11-14-2009, 01:12 PM

by your definition of a tennis pro (someone you see on tv lol) you really have no clue what this sport takes and have probably not been around it for long at all. thats just the bottom line.

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 01:58 PM
by your definition of a tennis pro (someone you see on tv lol) you really have no clue what this sport takes and have probably not been around it for long at all. thats just the bottom line.

LOL. ok junior. whatever.

For the purposes of this board I think exposure is a better criteria than an few ATP points and playing money tournaments is not the same as discussing the pro's now paying the main tour.

You know there is a difference between the main tour and the levels below that, right? Or am I talking to a 12 y.o.

Max G.
11-14-2009, 03:27 PM
But where is the line drawn is my point.

The line is drawn where the forum says it is - PRO players (i.e. those who make money playing tennis) are open for discussion.

I would think because you can't go by ATP points for obvious reasons,

You can.

it should be exposure.

And, if you'd read the thread, he obviously has enough exposure - quite a few people have mentioned knowing of him, seeing him, and liking his game.

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 04:27 PM
And, if you'd read the thread, he obviously has enough exposure - quite a few people have mentioned knowing of him, seeing him, and liking his game.

Playing USTA money tournaments and qualifying for main draw ATP events is quite different in my mind.

Maybe you don't see the difference, but I do

advantagetennis1
11-14-2009, 04:43 PM
LOL. ok junior. whatever.

For the purposes of this board I think exposure is a better criteria than an few ATP points and playing money tournaments is not the same as discussing the pro's now paying the main tour.

You know there is a difference between the main tour and the levels below that, right? Or am I talking to a 12 y.o.

i think you might be the 12 y.o because obviously you haven't gone to school long enough to understand that a senior in highschool isnt 12 years old. You just keep showing your ignorance over and over again to be 160 in the world you would have to have around 320 points, thats a little more then a few.

advantagetennis1
11-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Playing USTA money tournaments and qualifying for main draw ATP events is quite different in my mind.

Maybe you don't see the difference, but I do

show us your ranking and your results. are you an idiot? oren was 160 in the world that would have made him a seed in slam qualies and he would have been accepted in the md at lots of atp tournaments.

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Big deal. Nobody knows him from tour play. They just know him from money tournaments (small time)

Oh your a senior in HS? Wow, was i WAy off. LOL

advantagetennis1
11-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Big deal. Nobody knows him from tour play. They just know him from money tournaments (small time)

Oh your a senior in HS? Wow, was i WAy off. LOL

yea and i can promise you id give you less then 3 games in a match. do you know what supernational level is junior? i dont think you understand the different levels of the tennis game.

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Hey idiot. You are biting off more than you know. I'm sure your attitude will lead to many downfalls as your career progresses. But your too young and stupid to realize that yet.

I eat Jr's for breakfast.

advantagetennis1
11-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey idiot. You are biting off more than you know. I'm sure your attitude will lead to many downfalls as your career progresses. But your too young and stupid to realize that yet.

ah comon man listen to yourself. show us your results you have to be top 50 atp at least right? cause orens just a chump?

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 05:04 PM
you obviously can't read, or refuse to.

I never said he was a chump. He's a tremendous player at the level he's at.

What I said was this forum isn't really about that "I used to be low level ATP and now I play money tournaments" segment of players.

I know a bundle of guys like that. I don't think it mixes well with tour player talk. My opinion. But I don't insult people until they insult me. I just voice my opinion. And I don't make on court claims based on nothing. I'll leave that for you to do.

advantagetennis1
11-14-2009, 05:07 PM
you obviously can't read, or refuse to.

I never said he was a chump. He's a tremendous player at the level he's at.

What I said was this forum isn't really about that "I used to be low level ATP and now I play money tournaments" segment of players.

I know a bundle of guys like that. I don't think it mixes well with tour player talk. My opinion. But I don't insult people until they insult me. I just voice my opinion. And I don't make on court claims based on nothing. I'll leave that for you to do.

your obviously having trouble reading cause this is the general pro player section and oren is a pro and im not making any claims based off of nothing i have results and a ranking but in your case i guess it is nothing.

drakulie
11-14-2009, 06:44 PM
so does this mean we're going to discuss every chucklehead with an ATP point now?

Yes.

Here is the exit, momo:

http://www.ci.san-marcos.tx.us/departments/fire/Images/ExitDoor004.jpg

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Well I don't think that is what the spirit of this forum is.

And I have a ranking too, tool...

Take your exit sign and stick where the sun don't shine ^ your A**

advantagetennis1
11-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Well I don't think that is what the spirit of this forum is.

And I have a ranking too, tool...

Take your exit sign and stick where the sun don't shine ^ your A**

ya how futures have u qualied for? lets see your itf profile, and its not what you think or what you dont think anything is. An atp pro is anyone with a point, its not what your opinion of a pro is. This is general pro player discussion and someone with one point is a pro player... is there any other way i can word it so you understand? do you think you can comprehend that?

Topaz
11-15-2009, 02:23 AM
ya how futures have u qualied for? lets see your itf profile, and its not what you think or what you dont think anything is. An atp pro is anyone with a point, its not what your opinion of a pro is. This is general pro player discussion and someone with one point is a pro player... is there any other way i can word it so you understand? do you think you can comprehend that?

I wouldn't waste anymore of your time here...he's clearly just being a troll after being away from the board for 3 years. Either that, or he *is* Oren and having a bit of fun. LOL

Topaz, who is no longer 'Hall of Fame', but LEGEND

thanu
11-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Wow, I never thought this thread would get so many replies. It's unfortunate that half of the posts were arguing about if this thread belongs here or not but you know what.. THAT IS THE MODERATOR'S JOB. It obviously belongs here since the thread wasn't taken down. Oren is a professional and making his living off tennis. He was once an ATP pro but now he's playing smaller tournaments and still making his living off of winning tennis matches.

Todd, if you're an atp pro or making your living off of tennis, and want to post about yourself. GO AHEAD. lol This post is about Oren Motevassel. If you don't want to read it, then simply click "back" on your browser and read one of the many Nadal and Federer topics.

toddrobert38
11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
That's why I posted an objection... so that a guideline would be set about who is this forum geared to. Making a living at tennis is an arbitrary thing. How much is enough? 118 dollars? A thousand? Which prize money counts? USPTA? lol Only ATP? So this forum could be the correct place to discuss a first round future match?

Point is, is seems like it does not belong to me. Not because Motevassel or any other solid 6.0 player isn't worth discussing. It's because it doesn't fit well next to ATP main draw or even quali stuff. Maybe they should make more rooms. But if someone played one ATP event 10 years ago, but the discussion is about their present as a money tournament player,then the discussion goes to the Adult Tournament area in my mind. If the post is about that even ten years ago, then it stays in the ATP room. Maybe make one for Sat's and Challengers too.

If you don't agree fine, w/e. It's your right to think how you want. The thing that is p*ss poor is the attitude of some of the jerks on here who act like they either own the forum, or are God's gift to tennis. I don't blame you for posting here, but it seems slightly out of place to me. I vote for new rooms to be created for the different levels. Maybe then people will post more often about some of the great players in the lower ranks, not wanting to put something about a satellite match next to a post about DelPotro.

35ft6
11-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Just put Todd on ignore. That's what I'm going to do. He just posted 18 times in a thread he claims has no merit. He seems confused about a lot of things including how to best react to a thread one has no interest in.

More talk about Oren. Dying to see this guy play but it seems he's moved to Georgia and is no longer playing California tournaments? Huge money tournament coming up and he's not in the draw. If he needs the money, probably a good move to go someplace else other than So Cal for that, the competition here is too intense. When I used to follow him, he never won or even got to the semis of the really big Open tournaments. Heard he strings his rackets super low. Watching that video he reminds me of Santoro.

toddrobert38
11-17-2009, 01:23 PM
I will do the same to you... ignore---

Typical jack a**

toddrobert38
11-17-2009, 01:25 PM
oh yeah.... Santoro. I see that.

N-O-T

aphex
11-17-2009, 01:32 PM

You guys crack me up.

yea and i can promise you id give you less then 3 games in a match. do you know what supernational level is junior? i dont think you understand the different levels of the tennis game.

http://robotpirateninja.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/inet_tough_guy.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x127/fiascofreak/gtfo-take-fail.jpg

toddrobert38
11-17-2009, 01:34 PM
wow. the tools.

so many jerks. so few bullets.

35ft6
11-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Nice, Aphex. Some more:http://www.ffxils.ca/ethug2.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/The_Game21/E-thug2.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/if1zsj.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_r4LOmQNvrnE/SYkwCk7nFhI/AAAAAAAAAlw/Deab0O_k3YI/s400/InternetToughGuy.jpg

Well, at least I might get to finally watch Noah Newman in action. Those were the two guys I really wanted to see since I heard they were both a bit unorthodox and extremely talented players without the necessary physical gifts for top 100 ATP. Saw Noah teaching once at UCLA, he had a bit of a pot belly and walked around like a stoner. Was shocked. Was expecting to see a skinny, energetic 6'4" California kid.

onehandbh
11-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi Mr. ToddRobert38,

Do you work for Tennis Magazine?

What are some of the articles you've written?

toddrobert38
11-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm not the one who made a threat of not giving someone 3 games in a set.

if you morons saw me in person you would have a rude awakening.

I'm done talking w/ stupid peo. only lucid replies pertaining to subject matter.

35ft6
11-17-2009, 02:05 PM
if you morons saw me in person you would have a rude awakening.Don't get so worked up. It's just the internet. People have short memories at TT.I'm done talking w/ stupid peo. only lucid replies pertaining to subject matter.No offense, but you were the one who derailed this thread. The OP wanted to know more about Oren and wanted videos. Normally I'm not "rude" to people who derail threads, I realize threads take on a life of their own and good ones can trigger all sorts of related thoughts, but my biggest pet peeve at TT is people coming into threads they don't think has merit and admonishing people for participating and legitimizing it. Seriously, there are thousands of threads on TT, just ignore the ones you don't like. If it really bothers you report it to moderators. But, dude, seriously, don't ruin the fun for everybody else because you think a thread topic is in the wrong forum. Just honestly think about it for a second and ask yourself if it's really that important. I was psyched to see a new Oren thread and had to skim through 3 pages of people b-ing and whining. Come on.

toddrobert38
11-17-2009, 02:16 PM
go back and read what people wrote when I said I thought this was miscategorized.

All about I must not know this or have a clue about that. All I can say is if anyone has a clue about it, I do.

J011yroger
11-17-2009, 02:24 PM
go back and read what people wrote when I said I thought this was miscategorized.

All about I must not know this or have a clue about that. All I can say is if anyone has a clue about it, I do.

Sir, I am a newcomer to this thread, but I believe you are posting in the wrong subforum.

This is the Pro Player Discussion forum, where thread topics are professional tennis players.

I believe your point of contention would be more appropriately, and expediently addressed were you to return to the forum's main page, and look under the heading of 'miscellaneous' wherein you will find a forum titled "TW Questions/Comments".

I believe that should you post your query there you will be much more likely to receive clarification from TW with regard to your current dilemma.

I hope that I have been of some assistance in giving you direction so that you need not continue to post in vain and make no progress towards your goals.

J

toddrobert38
11-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Sir, I am a newcomer to this thread, but I believe you are posting in the wrong subforum.

This is the Pro Player Discussion forum, where thread topics are professional tennis players.

I believe your point of contention would be more appropriately, and expediently addressed were you to return to the forum's main page, and look under the heading of 'miscellaneous' wherein you will find a forum titled "TW Questions/Comments".

I believe that should you post your query there you will be much more likely to receive clarification from TW with regard to your current dilemma.

I hope that I have been of some assistance in giving you direction so that you need not continue to post in vain and make no progress towards your goals.

J

Cheers. Thanks for the tip. Yes it was a huge waste, I agree.

I thought mods would interject and clarify/ and or be open to feedback. As this was not the case I will look into the board you suggest.

TY

Spinz
11-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Just put Todd on ignore. That's what I'm going to do. He just posted 18 times in a thread he claims has no merit. He seems confused about a lot of things including how to best react to a thread one has no interest in.

More talk about Oren. Dying to see this guy play but it seems he's moved to Georgia and is no longer playing California tournaments? Huge money tournament coming up and he's not in the draw. If he needs the money, probably a good move to go someplace else other than So Cal for that, the competition here is too intense. When I used to follow him, he never won or even got to the semis of the really big Open tournaments. Heard he strings his rackets super low. Watching that video he reminds me of Santoro.

I think he is in Austin? I cant see him needing money since he stayed on the circuit for like a zillion years so i always assumed he must have a ton of it. Great player though.

Rob_C
11-18-2009, 08:44 PM
I think he is in Austin? I cant see him needing money since he stayed on the circuit for like a zillion years so i always assumed he must have a ton of it. Great player though.

He was mostly a Futures player so he wouldnt have made alot of money, if anything, after expenses.

Edit: In Todd's defense, Motevassel is no longer on tour, so, technically, the correct forum would be the Former Players thread.

35ft6
11-19-2009, 01:24 AM
Edit: In Todd's defense, Motevassel is no longer on tour, so, technically, the correct forum would be the Former Players thread.And to his credit, to my knowledge he's not complaining about the Chang, Nice to Meet All of You, and Agassi on Jim Rome threads. As well as several others that arguably belong in a different forum.

Yeah, even if you were 160 in the world for 15 years straight, you're not making a lot of money. Certainly not enough to retire on.

Spinz
11-19-2009, 02:47 AM
I dont mean that he made a lot of money on tour, more that he must have had a lot already (family money) in order to stay out there that long (because he didnt actually make enough money). The only people I knew who could stay out there that long and play all over the world had a lot of money.

nfor304
11-19-2009, 03:16 AM
If you don't agree fine, w/e. It's your right to think how you want. The thing that is p*ss poor is the attitude of some of the jerks on here who act like they either own the forum, or are God's gift to tennis. I don't blame you for posting here, but it seems slightly out of place to me. I vote for new rooms to be created for the different levels. Maybe then people will post more often about some of the great players in the lower ranks, not wanting to put something about a satellite match next to a post about DelPotro.

Says the guy who 'eats juniors for breakfast' and thinks he knows better than the mods about organizing the threads

Topaz
11-19-2009, 04:17 AM
I dont mean that he made a lot of money on tour, more that he must have had a lot already (family money) in order to stay out there that long (because he didnt actually make enough money). The only people I knew who could stay out there that long and play all over the world had a lot of money.

My understanding from 'the grapevine' is that yes, Oren didn't need to rely on his winnings in order to pay for things...take that with a grain of salt of course.

equinox
02-15-2011, 09:55 AM

here's your ranking.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Mo/O/Oren-Motevassel.aspx

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=10000951

and tv exposure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8pyq5KGWRs&feature=related

i dream of being in orens shoes. a true legend.

please educate yourself and expose your ranking and results.

accidental
02-15-2011, 01:24 PM
I came into this thread thinking it would be about that soviet player who made the Wimbledon final when there was the player boycott. Turns out that guy is Alex Matrevelli

Recon
02-15-2011, 07:35 PM
TonLars Dispatching Him.
6-3 , 6-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pIAn-6_MBA&feature=related

thanu
02-15-2011, 08:29 PM
The thing that's great about him is that he's still competitive at an older age. I mean, the guy is playing open level tournaments at the ripe old age of 43/44!

I was kind of shocked when I saw the video, since most people described his game as all junk. I mean, he looks like he has normal strokes to me. Not like Jan Michael Gambill or Santoro with their two handed forehands. He's not tearing the felt off the ball, but he can definitely hit winners.

Yeah, it didn't look like he had a good day against Tony.

jdubbs
03-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Oren played last weekend, beating Brad Weston in the final of the Elite 16 invite only Open:

http://chamisal.smugmug.com/Tennis/2011-Elite-16/16171346_uyaP4#1215386089_JV7K5

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Results.aspx?T=95550

Congratulations Oren!

superjd
03-17-2011, 10:46 AM
i saw oren play here in seattle a few yrs ago, was boring to watch but he gets the job done by pushing the ball around and he gets to almost every ball, plus for a guy almost 40 (or past 40 now) he's pretty good, i hope i'm as fit as he is when i hit 40 :).

jdubbs
03-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Yeah, he's definitely 40+, encouraging to see him beat a guy a decade younger in Weston, who's definitely no slouch.

But Oren got to top 200 on the tour, so its not entirely surprising.

HunterST
03-17-2011, 11:50 AM
TonLars Dispatching Him.
6-3 , 6-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pIAn-6_MBA&feature=related

Weird. Oren beat Brad Weston. Tonlars beat Oren 3 and 2, but lost to Weston last year.

accidental
03-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Weird. Oren beat Brad Weston. Tonlars beat Oren 3 and 2, but lost to Weston last year.

Its probably just a match up thing. Brad Weston is a much more aggressive player than either I believe, and Oren is probably just better at playing guys like that

woodrow1029
03-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Oren used to be such a pain in the neck to umpires when he was playing on the Futures circuit. I remember one time he was playing Tursunov and he got a code violation for calling Tursunov a "baby" loudly several times. The funny part was that they were doubles partners as well that week.

Shaolin
03-17-2011, 06:30 PM
^ that's pretty funny. Good way to "accidentally" get yourself hit in the back with a 130 bomb by your dubs partner.

atac
03-17-2011, 09:29 PM
I've played Oren Motevassel in a tournament a few years back in Santa Maria, CA. He has a very strange game, he doesn't look like he'd be a good player but he just makes you play bad.

equinox
03-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Oren used to be such a pain in the neck to umpires when he was playing on the Futures circuit. I remember one time he was playing Tursunov and he got a code violation for calling Tursunov a "baby" loudly several times. The funny part was that they were doubles partners as well that week.

Dmitri can act like funny guy, but he can also be an ***.

thanu
03-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Its probably just a match up thing. Brad Weston is a much more aggressive player than either I believe, and Oren is probably just better at playing guys like that

Could be a match up/style issue but also it is pretty rare that someone ALWAYS beats someone else. I mean Roddick even though he USUALLY loses to Federer has beaten him a couple times.

TonLars
03-20-2011, 07:00 PM

I saw that too, was surprised. But to be honest, I really played quite bad against Brad, and played pretty well against Oren. I would still say that Brad is the better player which is why that result is surprising, but I think if I play well I would have a real good chance to beat Brad. Oren probably could have played better against me too, I was expecting a tougher battle but he is a very good and scrappy player.

jdubbs
03-20-2011, 10:40 PM
I saw that too, was surprised. But to be honest, I really played quite bad against Brad, and played pretty well against Oren. I would still say that Brad is the better player which is why that result is surprising, but I think if I play well I would have a real good chance to beat Brad. Oren probably could have played better against me too, I was expecting a tougher battle but he is a very good and scrappy player.

When is your next tourney?

TonLars
03-24-2011, 10:45 AM
When is your next tourney?

Mid April Ive got 2, very excited for this year!

Beacon Hill
03-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Mid April Ive got 2, very excited for this year!
Motevassel might be playing our tournament in Victoria, so maybe you will meet him again. What is the other tournament you are playing in April?

thanu
03-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Beacon Hill,

Please take some videos and upload them on youtube. :-)

Beacon Hill
03-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Beacon Hill,

Please take some videos and upload them on youtube. :-)
We definitely will. Tony's 2010 match against Brad Weston is on You Tube.

thanu
03-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I noticed the video from your tournament when I was watching Tony vs Motevassel. Great footage! Would love to see more matches. :-)

cmb
03-28-2011, 08:08 PM
so this post did not get taken down yet? lol, its a pretty good argument going on about Oren.
Just so you know, I not against having Oren up here. Oren is a great player and I enjoyed watching him play the only time I saw him. My dad actually played him!!

thanu
03-28-2011, 08:28 PM
so this post did not get taken down yet? lol, its a pretty good argument going on about Oren.
Just so you know, I not against having Oren up here. Oren is a great player and I enjoyed watching him play the only time I saw him. My dad actually played him!!

I started this thread in 09.. if the mods took it down now, it wouldn't really make sense, since it's been up for quite a while now.. no harm no foul, right? If they changed the topic to "*ATP* pro player discussion" then I can see why they would take it down. PRO means you get paid. If you win a tournament and make money, you're a pro by definition. Amateur sports = no money.. PRO sports = $money$

jdubbs
03-28-2011, 08:33 PM
I started this thread in 09.. if the mods took it down now, it wouldn't really make sense, since it's been up for quite a while now.. no harm no foul, right? If they changed the topic to "*ATP* pro player discussion" then I can see why they would take it down. PRO means you get paid. If you win a tournament and make money, you're a pro by definition. Amateur sports = no money.. PRO sports = $money$

Actually, Oren won about $500 for winning the tournament a couple of weeks ago so by your definition...

cmb
03-28-2011, 08:41 PM
I consider oren a pro. The rumor around the tournament in Philly that I saw him at was that Oren made 50k in prize money playing all the US money tournaments that year.

I consider that a pro, I mean what else do you call him? he was top 200

thanu
03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Actually, Oren won about $500 for winning the tournament a couple of weeks ago so by your definition...

It's not just my definition. If you look up on google "amateur vs professional athlete":

"Professional sports, as opposed to amateur sports, are sports in which athletes receive payment for their performance."

$500, $17.99, $2000, $10,000, .25 cents.. it's still money.

Listen, I know when I started the thread it could be considered slightly off topic, but I figured since he's still playing money tournaments and he's a former atp pro that it wouldn't be a big deal!

NLBwell
03-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Oren's backhand looks like my brother's backhand. A very effective, if unorthodox, shot.

Beacon Hill
04-05-2011, 02:18 AM
If we allow a discussion about a pro player like Motevassel, and there are, heaven forbid, a couple posts about a match he had with an amateur player, there will be no room on the server for another riveting thread about whether Nadal or Federer is the better player.

Beacon Hill
04-05-2011, 02:20 AM
Motevassel, by the way, registered for our tournament today. Our first prize of $6,000 is in line with winning a Challenger, so hope I'm allowed to mention this.