PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Holidays

OMS
11-12-2009, 06:16 AM
Dear tennis fans.

Tennis Holidays:
I wonder if you can help me. What I would like to know from you is :

Is there a demand for “Tennis Holidays” ….. like Golfing Holidays?

With that I do NOT mean Tennis Coaching holidays..... there are enough of those world wide and that is more for younger players!!

At this stage in my life (I am in my forties) , I find it VERY frustrating to go on a holiday and NOT being able to play my favourite sport. I do not need coaching at this stage.
When one do a search on Google for “tennis holidays”, all one get is tennis COACHING holidays or camps.

That is NOT what I am looking for. I would like to combine my holiday with playing organized tennis for at least 2 hours per day.
For e.g. I would like to play tennis from 09h00 to 11h00 every day, and then do my own holiday thing for the rest of the day.... but I WANT to start my day with a game of tennis.

Tennis is not like golf which one can play on one's own, we NEED partners. So all that I would like is for somebody to organize games and players... be this at a beach resort, wine farm, hotel, caravan park etc.

I do not want to play against a Pro Coach on my holiday. What I would like is to meet like minded tennis players like myself, and enjoy a social game of tennis every day.... then if I would like some coaching, I shall do that in my own time with a Pro Coach.

Is there no demand for this???? I can not believe that ! Am I the only frustrated tennis player on this earth?

I would appreciate your opinion.

Thank you.

Cheers.

Oms

Geezer Guy
11-12-2009, 03:16 PM
There are several different "registries" of tennis players. When you're going on a holiday you can simply look in the registry and see if there's anyone there you can play with. If so, contact them and set up a match.

I've done this once or twice, but not too often because it just seems kinda creepy (for lack of a better word). I mean - you don't know the person you're contacting, and they don't know you. Either one of you could be a serial killer or something.

I find it much easier to just contact a tennis club near wherever I'm going and ask if they have any "stroke of the day" type drills or clinics I can participate in while I'm in town. Or, I might talk to the head pro and ask him to set me up with a member that would be a good match. I'll pay the court fee - the member plays free. It also just seems a bit safer to meet someone at a club instead of at the local public park or something.

FlyingBoat
11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I am with you on this. Totally. I wish I could go somewhere on a vacation that had organized fun tennis. My wife loves playing as well. I am not looking for a $400+/day tennis camp. Though they would be fun, they would wear me out at this point, and it is hard to justify the cost.

Seems like there would be a market for this. Don't even necessarily need someone who knows tennis. Just a facilitator, game play, round robin, type of event would be great.

FlyingBoat
11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
double post

cak
12-01-2009, 02:57 PM
If you are staying at a resort that has a tennis center just call the pros and have them set up games for you. Occasionally you can even find clubs that have holiday members, which will also put you in games. My personal favorite was the Islamorada Tennis Club in the Keys in Florida. You would just call in, specify a time and they would call back that day and confirm. You would show up and there was a big board with courts and names. The year round club members were cute, they loved playing with new blood.

I've played at the Wailea tennis center in Maui, they will set up games if you bug them enough, or you can pick up games after the clinics. The Mauna Lani on the big island in Hawaii will also set up games.

FlyingBoat
12-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I will keep that in mind, though I would like it a little more organized. I am usually looking for mixed doubles matches because my wife plays tennis as well.

86golf
12-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Seabrook, Wild Dunes, Hilton Head are all good options. They are resorts with tennis that have planned socials and such. You'll pay $20 for court time, so I typically opt for the drill clinics (same price) rather than risk getting set up with some hacks.

Also, Beech Mountain in NC is a secret place that has the same "resort" atmosphere although you will need to go through a real estate agency for rentals there. Season is May-Oct.