PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 player with a ball machine for 1 hour...What's my workout?

back2tennis
11-12-2009, 08:05 AM
When I go for my 1 hour sessions with "the dragon" (lol) what should I work on?

It's a fairly decent machine with all the settings, and I only have done it a few times. My forehand is my strongest shot with alot of topspin...my 2h backhand is inconsistent and that is truly due to my footwork I believe (I don't get in good position and end up trying to short arm it into the net).

any thoughts? I am getting in decent shape but I don't want anything too draining.

Would like:

10 mins xcourt forehands
10 mins xcourt backhands
10 mins down the line forehand
10 mins down the line backhand

?? The extra 20 mins will probably be spent picking up balls lol.

larry10s
11-12-2009, 08:11 AM
When I go for my 1 hour sessions with "the dragon" (lol) what should I work on?

It's a fairly decent machine with all the settings, and I only have done it a few times. My forehand is my strongest shot with alot of topspin...my 2h backhand is inconsistent and that is truly due to my footwork I believe (I don't get in good position and end up trying to short arm it into the net).

any thoughts? I am getting in decent shape but I don't want anything too draining.

Would like:

10 mins xcourt forehands
10 mins xcourt backhands
10 mins down the line forehand
10 mins down the line backhand

?? The extra 20 mins will probably be spent picking up balls lol.

sounds like a plan. no volleys or overheads?

back2tennis
11-12-2009, 08:29 AM
I should definitely try to work in at least volleys...Hmm

In D Zone
11-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Suggestions:

A) 5 minutes 'Return of Serve' on each (adjust the machine position to feed to specific target)
- FH on Deuce side
- BH on Deuce side
- FH on Ad
- DH on Ad

Stand on the receiving position.

Goal is to return the ball Cross Court , DTL and to the middle. Focus on employing short compact swing and using your forward motion to return the serve. That's about 20 minutes total.

B) Work on approach shots (slow balls) -
Stand in the center of the baseline.
Feed ball short close to the service line
5 min on each
(you need to slow the ball feed time so you can reset your position)
- Deuce (FH approach)
- AD (BH approach)

Then Add : covering the net to volley after approach shot. You finish the approach then work on split step footwork as you move into the net to volley the next ball.

You have incorporated 2 drills into one - hit an apporach shot and then move in to cover the net.

Its going to be hard at first - work on relaxing your movement and swing as you move into the ball. Do not try to hit a winner, goal is to get to the ball, make contact and ball lands within the baseline. As you get more comfortable with the footwork and motion, racquet speed will follow naturally. This will also help your cardio!

Benefits:
These are the most widely use tactics in a match but it is seldom incorporated in a drill unless you hire a tennis pro. I've incorporated these drills whenever I practice with my ball machine and it works.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Sounds like your not happy with your movement but dont want to be drained. Make up your mind if you want to improve by draining yourself or maintain your current level of play. Blow it out in my onion.

In D Zone
11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
C) Serve and hit back a return shot.

- You first serve .
- The machine then feed you a ball - which you need to hit.

Simulating the first three shots of a match. You serve to your opponent, who returns the ball and you hit back the shot.

You will need to adjust the ball feed again allowing you to reset on each serve.
Goal is not to try to cream the shot but to work on focus and anticipation. Don't try to hit a winner, but work on getting to the ball, and placing the ball to the open court (now that's winner by itself).

back2tennis
11-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the tips guys...D ZONE I will definitely be coming back to this thread to jot down your recommendation...seems like a great way to focus on improvement and maximize the time with the machine instead of just alternating FH's and BH's from the center position like I have done the few times I've been on the machine.

zettabyte
11-12-2009, 10:20 AM
If you're weak on the Backhand side I would focus on that first. Put a cone at the service hash and practice moving out to your backhand, hitting, then moving back to center. Get your body used to where it needs to be in relation to an oncoming ball.

Don't sweat the outcome of the shot, focus on the correct mechanics and let your body react to it's mistake. I'd imagine you'd see some nice dividends after two or three heavy backhand sessions.

That's what I'd do, anyway. I try not to have a "weaker" side. Or, to put it another way, I like having both wings equally weak. :-)