PDA

View Full Version : A new fan of clinics!

BMC9670
11-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I have not taken clinics in the past, probably because I'm too cheap or thought they were boring. But due to a shoulder injury I couldn't serve for a few months and since most of my usual partners wanted to play matches, I started doing a clinic at my club twice a week. This clinic is max 6 people who have to be 4.0 or above (we usually get 4 men and 2 women - all decent players). Here is what I've learned:

1. It has REALLY improved my net play! I've never been very comfortable at net and this was drilled and drilled - singles and doubles

2. I'm a better lobber - when else can you practice hitting 50 lobs in a point situation?

3. Practicing against many people means many different strokes. One point I may get heavy topspin, the next flat, etc.

4. It's a better workout than I thought. Since the players are good and the pro is good - it really moves!

After returning to matches, I feel my game is more versatile and I'm more confident at net, lobbing, and playing doubles.

Cindysphinx
11-12-2009, 08:16 AM
I have not taken clinics in the past, probably because I'm too cheap or thought they were boring. But due to a shoulder injury I couldn't serve for a few months and since most of my usual partners wanted to play matches, I started doing a clinic at my club twice a week. This clinic is max 6 people who have to be 4.0 or above (we usually get 4 men and 2 women - all decent players). Here is what I've learned:

1. It has REALLY improved my net play! I've never been very comfortable at net and this was drilled and drilled - singles and doubles

2. I'm a better lobber - when else can you practice hitting 50 lobs in a point situation?

3. Practicing against many people means many different strokes. One point I may get heavy topspin, the next flat, etc.

4. It's a better workout than I thought. Since the players are good and the pro is good - it really moves!

After returning to matches, I feel my game is more versatile and I'm more confident at net, lobbing, and playing doubles.

Ahhh, the virtues of a good clinic!

Balanced skill level among the players. Check.

A good pro who puts together good drills. Check.

Lots of repetitions of a shot, rather than changing the drill every 5 minutes. Check.

A fraction of the price of a private lesson. Check.

I've been doing a clinic with a particular pro. Because we have a fixed group of four women and a sub of the same level and with the same work ethic, the clinic totally rocks. It is 100% doubles play, 100% of the time, and because we are all progressing at the same rate, we are getting to do some more advanced stuff. Lately, it's been all about the approach volley and learning how to play the net when both players are up (and when all four players are up!). I'm having a blast.